Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 25 July 2012 14:11:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I'll bring you some function possibilities with either Lok[pilots or Sound decoders.

Lokpilots can be bought as a multiprotocol decoder and this enables you to use different digital systems

the Lokpilot short for Lopi has the following functions

Stop forwards
Stop reverse
Drive forward
Drive reverse
Forward F0
Reverse F0
F1 - F4

Under Function 1 & 2 you can add the Auxillary Function 1 & 2
F 3 = Shunting mode
F 4 = Acceleration & Brakingmode

with an adapterplate (51968) you can also use F 3 & F 4 and add Aux Function 3 & 4.

The adapterplate has to be used in conjunction with a 21 pin decoder.

There are several specific settings you can achieve with a Lopi and here are some:

For instance you have a siding and also build into the siding a braking module.

What you do normally is set the sopeed and braking dealy so your loco stops just in front of the signal
The added bonus you have with a new setting perimeter, wheras you can set the distance,
this setting enables you regardless of speed or the braking delay and your loco will always stop in front of the signal.
A very handy tool to have especially when you have freight and passenger trains entering the same siding, a freightloco can travell at 40km/h and an expresstrain could travel at 160km/h, they both will stop at the same point.

another setting is your headlights:
When the train is stationary the headlights are dimm and when the loco starts to move the headlights get brighter.
If you have an electric uncoupler (Telex) you can set the particular Auxillary function to pulse or a timer so to speak
if you would like to install a fire box you can have flickering lights.
If you have a consist of 2 or 3 locos you can arrange the right lights front and rear and if it's 3 locos have the middle loco without lights.

Sound decoder:

as above but now you have 26 Functions, 2 Auxillary functions can be included and with an adapterplate you again have 4 Auxillary functions available, although the ECoS can only handle 21 function at the moment.

Some sound decoders may not have all the soundslots you would like to have, ESU provides a template with additional sounds for American locos, announcements and others.
this option can be uploaded or downloaded with a Lokprogrammer and can be added to your decoder sound slots.

I hope this will help someone to understand some of the extras you normally don't hear of.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2012 15:16:12(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi John,

Thanks for the info. These modern decoders are indeed versatile.

It would be nice if they also produced a "lite" version, without all the complications, for those of us who only require motor drive and one or two functions. Something like the current Marklin 60760 decoder, but with better speed steps, would be just right!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2012 19:42:17(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
I use the Lokpilot on all of my digital conversions and love the dimmable light function and the flicker effect. I had added the firebox effect to a few of my engines and all you really have to do is add the LED and adjust a couple CVs and you are all set. And I have found that the running characteristics are great also, I haven't changed a single 3 pole motor but every engine runs very smooth at slow speeds. I am a fan.
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 26 July 2012 06:44:22(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
I use the Lokpilot on all of my digital conversions and love the dimmable light function and the flicker effect. I had added the firebox effect to a few of my engines and all you really have to do is add the LED and adjust a couple CVs and you are all set. And I have found that the running characteristics are great also, I haven't changed a single 3 pole motor but every engine runs very smooth at slow speeds. I am a fan.

Chris,

this is interesting and I have to try the 3 pole version again because the last time I gave up, especially at the low speed spectrum, nevertheless it can't be as smooth as 5 pole rotor having less space between the poles.
there is a setup with the ECoS, you put the loco on a long straight track and I think you press function 1 and the loco will start running by itself and adjusts all the CV's for the motor to run smoothly.

John

Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 26 July 2012 06:48:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Ray,

Ok this was the complicated version, there are others exactly what you're talking about but not in the sound version, e.g. Lokpilot basic but unfortunately this is DCC only.

John
Offline Chris6382chris  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2012 19:45:39(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post

Chris,

this is interesting and I have to try the 3 pole version again because the last time I gave up, especially at the low speed spectrum, nevertheless it can't be as smooth as 5 pole rotor having less space between the poles.
there is a setup with the ECoS, you put the loco on a long straight track and I think you press function 1 and the loco will start running by itself and adjusts all the CV's for the motor to run smoothly.

John

John:

I would think you are right the five pole must run smoother, I am just saying that I have been very happy with keeping the three pole motors during all of my conversions. Perhaps I will take a few videos so you can see how they run at slow speed. As to your comment about the Lokpilot or Loksound being able to self adjust the CVs you are correct you can do this by pressing the Function 1 button and doing a couple other things but I have not been happy with that result (only tried this on LFCM motors). I end up using the CVs that the Lokpilot manual comes with for motor control. This has worked perfectly for most of my conversions but on the V200's and BR212 (again all LFCM motors) I have had to further adjust the CVs to get the smoothest performance.

Chris
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2012 22:34:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Chris,
this is interesting, with your trails I will not bother than and leave the 3 pole, perm.magnet and F1 where it belongs, out of sightBigGrin

John
Offline nevw  
#8 Posted : 28 July 2012 03:28:45(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
On the conversions I have been doing if the 3 pole Armature is not showing excessive signs of wear on the commutator area I leave them in and do not change to a 5 pole rotor and have been happy with the results. In my mind the change to 5 pole is not warranted unless there is excessive wear in the commutator area.

N
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 28 July 2012 09:41:00(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
All my recent conversions have been with either a Marklin 60760 kit, or one of the ESU Lokpilot kits.

If the loco has a DCM motor I generally use the 60760 kit, and fitting the 5 pole motor parts included helps to improve the performance of the more basic decoder.

If the loco has a SFCM or LFCM motor I use the corresponding Lokpilot kit. These kits include, in the latest form, a lokpilot V4 decoder and a Hamo magnet to convert the Marklin motor to DC. The 3 pole armature is retained. With a bit of fine adjustment of the relevant CV values it is possible to get good performance out of this combination. I have to say I used to find the V3 decoder easier to program with my 6021, as the V4 now asks for 3 digit CV values, which are a bit of a chore to enter, using the "long method".

For my next conversion I will probably attempt the new Marklin MLD decoders and 5 pole conversion kits, if they are suitable.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.