Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2012 16:20:09(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Ok, maybe this is a dumb question but here it goes. All of the Lokpilot and Loksound ESU chips come with a clear plastic shrink wrap around the actual decoder. I have never removed it as it is a perfect insulator when installing them in my locomotives. Here is my question, given the heat that the various parts on a decoder generate, should I be removing the shrink wrap or am I supposed to leave it as is?

Thanks,

Chris
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2012 16:52:58(UTC)
H0

Hi!
The manual says: "Den Schrumpfschlauch um den Decoder niemals entfernen."

Don't remove the shrink wrap (unless you want to void the warranty).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2012 17:04:18(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
yes, with the swrap the ventilation is as needed by the decoder. also do not put any kind of tape around it, with that you may overheat the decoder. ( also stated in the manual )
but i remember something, i bought a couple of ESU power packs just in case..dont need them so far, the question is that in order to install them you have to mess with the insulation wrap....will that also void the warranty?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2012 17:26:09(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I would think that if the decoder is supplied with the wrap on, that it is designed to work with the wrap on. I know that if we completly somother an un-wrapped decoder with wrap and double sided sticky tape, that it may overheat as it was not designed to have a wrap.

I do think that some effort should be used to protect the curcuit board from touching anything metalic to perhaps cause a short. I have used double sided tape on the side that does not have the components, or has the least amount of components.

I have shorted out a decoder as it was loose and un-wrapped. Cursing So in the end, use your best judgement.

If you are running your models at reasonable speeds and do not have many extra functions that draw near max current loads, you can probably get away with extra wrapping.

However if you want to have speed demons with double smoke stacks, having the decoder unwrapped and in an ventilated space would be a good idea.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Chris6382chris  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2012 19:14:43(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks everyone. Will leave the shrink wrap on and avoid excessive eletrical tape wrapping. Thanks.

Chris
Offline NZMarklinist  
#6 Posted : 14 July 2012 05:15:18(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
Thanks everyone. Will leave the shrink wrap on and avoid excessive eletrical tape wrapping. Thanks.

Chris

Chris, the shrink wrap would be a better heat sink or radiator than loosely wrapped electrical tape Cool

Haven't had any bother with them myself, and all M4 with functions ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider