Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dpetersen  
#1 Posted : 05 July 2012 19:08:06(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
I finally ordered an ESU 50200 command station, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow. Can't wait to get it!

I've been reading through the manual and found this on page 11 in the "wiring details" section:
"Never connect another digital system or analogue transformer to the same circuit as ECoS. Your ECoS may be damaged or destroyed!"

Are they referring to the electrical circuit coming from the circuit breaker box? My train room only has 1 circuit, and I was planning on plugging my Marklin 6021 to it.

Has anyone ever run into problems with this?

Here is the manual, it's the first link on the page:
http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/instruction-manuals/digital-systems/

Thanks
Dave Petersen
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 05 July 2012 19:22:53(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Dave,all,
They are referring to the layout.

Dr D
Offline dpetersen  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2012 20:27:55(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
So, I can connect my 6021 to the SnlnB and SnlnB ports on the 50200, but don't connect the 6021 to the tracks. Makes sense.

Sometimes the meaning gets lost in the translation, like this quote from page 12:
"During programming the insulating gaps may not be bridged (boogies, coaches with interior lighting, etc)."

I hate it when my boogies cause a short circuitLaugh

Dave Petersen
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dpetersen
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2012 20:52:10(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Dave,all,

>So, I can connect my 6021 to the SnlnB and SnlnB ports on the 50200, but don't connect the 6021 to the tracks. Makes sense.<

Should and that should be the point is using existing equipment with newer components.Many digital experts on this forum will(hopefully) chime in!BigGrin

>Sometimes the meaning gets lost in the translation, like this quote from page 12:
"During programming the insulating gaps may not be bridged (boogies, coaches with interior lighting, etc)."<

I *think* this means programming a lok or even another decoder(lighting) ,I tink,...Mellow

Dr DCool
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2012 20:58:32(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Please let us know what you think once it is up and running. I am between this and the 60215 but leaning toward the 50200.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline dpetersen  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2012 21:29:18(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Please let us know what you think once it is up and running. I am between this and the 60215 but leaning toward the 50200.

That seems to be the common thread, lots of interesting discussions on this site, just search on the text 60215 and 50200. The slightly lower price of the 50200 was the deciding factor for me.

Dave Petersen
Offline Chris6382chris  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2012 21:57:09(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Dave:

I have go to say I think you are going to love the Ecos. I bought mine last year and am just amazed at all it can do, the price, and the ease of which you can do things. This isn't say anything bad about any Marklin product because I haven't used the CS2 at all. I am just really happy with the Ecos.

Chris
Offline dpetersen  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2012 22:36:13(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
Chris,
From what I've read of the features, I think you're right. My only concern was that it's been on the market for a couple of years, and I didn't want to make the investment and then have a new model replace it a few months later.

Oh well, I guess you have to jump in and buy at some point...maybe my procrastination explains why I still have an iPhone 3G, I keep waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out BigGrin
Dave Petersen
Offline efel  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2012 23:28:17(UTC)
efel

France   
Originally Posted by: dpetersen Go to Quoted Post

Sometimes the meaning gets lost in the translation, like this quote from page 12:
"During programming the insulating gaps may not be bridged (boogies, coaches with interior lighting, etc)."

I think you may understand better if you read the whole paragraph:
"This track must be insulated on both sides from the layout –
in case of Märklin® insulate the centre conductor and both
tracks! During programming the insulating gaps may not be
bridged (boogies, coaches with interior lighting, etc)."

Bogies might bridge the lateral rails of the programming track and main track, and that must be avoided.

Fred

Edited by user 06 July 2012 09:13:48(UTC)  | Reason: typo correction

Offline Chris6382chris  
#10 Posted : 05 July 2012 23:35:08(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Chris,
From what I've read of the features, I think you're right. My only concern was that it's been on the market for a couple of years, and I didn't want to make the investment and then have a new model replace it a few months later.

Oh well, I guess you have to jump in and buy at some point...maybe my procrastination explains why I still have an iPhone 3G, I keep waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out BigGrin

I understand what you are saying about wanting the latest and greatest but I would look at it the other way, the product has been out for a couple years so if it had any major bugs or flaws you would have known about it know. So when you buy the Ecos 2 you know you are getting a reliable, market tested product. With electronics these days I think I would prefer that reassurance over possible new technology when it comes to my controller.

Also, ESU has been really good with updates and from what I have seen of my Ecos 2 it seems very expandable with both older and new technology and components. So you know I am running the Ecos 2, no additional transformer is being used (plenty of power for a bedroom size layout with 18 engines on it), I have my Ms1 connected and I have several ESU SwitchPilots that I use to control my turnouts.

Again, I have nothing bad to say at all about the Markin CS 2, my past controller was a 6021 and I loved that. My big motivation for going with the Ecos 2 was reputation, price, availability, known bugs or lack thereof, and the fact that a transformer was part of the package.

If you want I would be happy to share with you where I purchased it, it is a US vendor and the service is great and price was the cheapest on the internet. PM if you would like that info.

And if you have any other questions about it let me know.

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 05 July 2012 23:36:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: efel Go to Quoted Post
Boogies might bridge ...
Bogies, not Boogies. A typo ...

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Chris6382chris  
#12 Posted : 05 July 2012 23:40:25(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Boogies might bridge ...

Boogies bridging sounds like an even bigger problem. Flapper I can only imagine how many typos I have made on here while posting.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline efel  
#13 Posted : 06 July 2012 09:08:55(UTC)
efel

France   
Boogies might bridge ...

BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Offline dpetersen  
#14 Posted : 07 July 2012 23:34:14(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post

Got the package from ajckids.com yesterday. I spent about 4 hours getting the basic functionality setup, and I have to say I am very impressed. Way more features than I expected, very easy to configure and run.

The only problem I had was with setting the protocol. The manual said that it used the Motorola protocol by default, but mine actually sets it to DCC28 by default. Once I figured that out it was very easy to add new locomotives.

My glass train has an MFX decoder, so it automatically added it a few seconds after putting it on the track.

I downloaded TouchCab and had that running trains in about 10 minutes. Very easy to use and good performance considering I just have an iPhone 3G.

I ordered some turnout mechanisms, so those are the next items to install. I also got a Viessmann 5233 feedback decoder, so hopefully that will work to setup some routes.

Needless to say I'm very pleased so far! BigGrin
Dave Petersen
Offline nevw  
#15 Posted : 08 July 2012 01:14:23(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Dave,
it is indeed a wonderful piece of equipment.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 08 July 2012 04:41:32(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi,

My deciding factor (and it took many years) was the plug in features of my old Märklin system and I already had ESU decoders/sound.

I wouldn't go as far the ECoS had no bugs, there are constant updates and sometimes I think with these updates other abnormalities appear.

here are some information on the latest update version of the ECoS

Release Notes for Software 3.5.0 for ECoS 50200 / ECoS 50000 / Central Station Reloaded
=======================================================================================

routes and feedback system:
- BUGFIX: feedbacksystem sometimes did trigger other routes. Leading to performance problems and lockings
- BUGFIX: When XML-export of routes in the webserver, resulting file did not open in openoffice
- BUGFIX: Display error of routes without feedback module in webserver
- BUGFIX: Removed bugs when editing routes leading to crash of ECoS
- BUGFIX: Wrong display of route status, if dummy-item was switched
- ADD: Routes can be grouped and disabled by group. This is persistent
- ADD: You can now select the trigger (rising or falling edge) when a route will be switched
- ADD: "Debouncing" of routes: Routes that are already set will not be re-set
- ADD: You can now define up to eight conditions that must be true before routes are triggered
- ADD: You can now define a delay before the first item of a route is switched.
- ADD: Editing of routes now is faster (GUI)
- ADD: To edit a route, the power on the main track MUST be on. Otherwise, editing is disabled.
- ADD: When editing routes, the automatic triggering of routes is temporarily disabled

Misc:
- BUGFIX: No more crash when editing an accessory that is accessed via PC interface at the same time
- BUGFIX: Sometimes, ECoS crashed when editing an ECoSDetector
- BUGFIX: Fixed a bug in the ECoSDetector Edit menu
- BUGFIX: When editing consists (multiple units), sometimes the wrong locomotive icon was shown
- BUGFIX: When Powermonitor was on and you entered the ECoSDetector Edit menu, the Powermonitor did not close
- BUGFIX: Turntable control using a LokPilot DCC did not support long addresses
- BUGFIX: Turntable control now limits the addresses correctly
- BUGFIX: Turntable control sometimes crashed when turning the turntable
- BUGFIX: Sometimes, ECoS crashed when deleting a turntable
- ADD: Remembers the Multi cab display even on restart
- ADD: If possible, select last item in scroll boxes
- ADD: Selected item in dropdown-menus is centered in the screen
- ADD: Added option in the setup menu to decide if track power in "on" after startup
- ADD: Using the locomotive select button, you can also exit the locomotive menu now
- ADD: When selecting locomotives using the numeric keypad, the response time is much faster now
- ADD: ESU Navigator Basestation Firmware update 1.4. (Enabling computer interface)

Release Notes for Software 3.4.3 for ECoS 50200 / ECoS 50000 / Central Station Reloaded
=======================================================================================

Shuttle train:
- ADD: Stopover for shuttle trains. Up to 4 stopovers per each shuttle train.
Each stopover has their own delay and can also be used directional.
If no terminal stops are defined, you can also create a round trip.

Track diagram:
- ADD: When creating new elements, you can automatically select the last selected item
by using a "double tap"
- ADD: New symbol for "X"-crossings.
- BUGFIX: Sometimes, symbols dissapeared and it was not possible to put new elements on
the same place.

Locomotive control:
- ADD: Extended pickable area on the speed bar on the multi cab display
- ADD: Support for "mph" instead of "km/h".
- ADD: Changed layout for sub-divisions of speed indicator
- BUGFIX: Some problems with the motorized controllers when changing locomotives
- BUGFIX: M4 and RailComPlus symbols overlapped on monochrome displays

Switching accessories:
- ADD: New "Variant 2" for 4 aspect light signals. This symbol is to be used for
signals with double coil solenoid motor.
- BUGFIX: DCC uncouplers will work again now
- BUGFIX: advance signals work correctly now
- BUGFIX: problems when switching 3 / 4 aspect signals through ECoSniffer

Programming:
- ADD: Support for DCC Paged-Mode in the DCC-programming setup menu
- ADD: "XL" programming mode in the setup programming menus. Selecting this checkbox will
result in higher programming current and less sensitive overcurrent protection to allow
the programming of power-consuming large scale locomotives.
- ADD: Much faster reading of ESU V4.0 decoders
- ADD: New error mistake if somebody by mistake connects the programming track with the
main track
- ADD: POM-Verify also for accessories.
- ADD: When manupulating M4/mfx-Decoders, you now can disable the analogue modes
- BUGFIX: Some programming issues with Märklin mfx-Decoders (like Märklin Köf Telex)
- BUGFIX: When reading a DCC value, the read value was displayed but not used when writing again.
- BUGFIX: If you enforce the new identification of locomotives, this is done using "XL" settings now.
- BUGFIX: Edit locomotive menu sometimes did not switch back programming track to main track.
- BUGFIX: When using POM write, RailCom commands were sended even if RailCOM was disabled.
- BUGFIX: More stable detection of LokSound V4.0 decoders when reading in decoder profiles.
- BUGFIX: Correct values for Accl/Decl shown for LokPilot Basic
- BUGFIX: LokPilot micro V4.0 DCC was shown as LokSound classic

Apparently a new feature is ( I can't find the announcement), you can now access 3 addresses on your 6021 and this gives you access to 12 sound functions.

Although I haven't followed the Central stations improvements lately, I haven't heard of any major breakthrough(s) by using the 6021 or the MS1 except when I last looked at the spaghetti junctions and boxes you need to connect all your old Märklin system.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline dpetersen  
#17 Posted : 08 July 2012 06:03:07(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
John,
Thanks for the info - sounds like I better keep up with the latest firmware releases.
Dave Petersen
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 08 July 2012 07:56:22(UTC)
H0

sounds like I better keep up with the latest firmware releases.
My tip: wait two or three weeks before you download an install a new update - if there are serious problem, the update will be replaced on their site within a fortnight.

They do beta tests before a new release, but some bugs may slip through the tests.

3.5.0 is online for two months now. You should install it if your ECoS has an older version.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline river6109  
#19 Posted : 08 July 2012 07:57:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
John,
Thanks for the info - sounds like I better keep up with the latest firmware releases.

Mind you, some of the updates had major faults and some owners refuse to download it when it is first released and wait until the green light has come on or nobody has filed a complaint.

Most of the bugs don't even concern us unless you're in micro decoders or other features we normally don't use.

John

Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 08 July 2012 08:06:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
John,

Mind you, some of the updates had major faults and some owners refuse to download it when it is first released and wait until the green light has come on or nobody has filed a complaint.

Most of the bugs don't even concern us unless you're in micro decoders or other features we normally don't use.

there is a downside to all of this when you compare Märklin with ESU.

a.) if anything goes wrong with your decoder in a Märklin loco you have to send the whole loco back.
b.) if anything goes wrong with an ESU decoder (even possible Lokprogrammer updates ?) at least you only have to return the decoder to the dealer, while it is still under warranty (free exchange).

One thing I will bring up with ESU, the reverse pulse is to easy to activate, suppose I'm so used to the past Märklin system, e.g. 6021, MS1 you just turn the speed knob to "0" especially in an emergency and you kniow ehn you re start your loco it is still travelling in the same direction, whereas with the ECoS if you dio this, q.) you don't realize you've done it and secondly you start your loco again and it goes in the opposite direction, which you've tried to avoid in the first place.BigGrin

John

Offline nevw  
#21 Posted : 08 July 2012 10:41:54(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
John,
you can disable that feature in the Ecos.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline river6109  
#22 Posted : 08 July 2012 11:46:41(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
John,

NN

Nev,

thanks for the information, have to read more of the instructionsBigGrin

I didn't know this, I know ther are two arrow directions you can use and also the joystick but haven't had any luck with joystick as yet.

John

Offline dpetersen  
#23 Posted : 11 July 2012 04:13:36(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
3.5.0 is online for two months now. You should install it if your ECoS has an older version.

I was having some problems with routes, they were not saving my s88 settings. I updated to 3.5.0 firmware, and it's working now.

Question: Is it possible to stop/start a train on a route with the 50200? I don't see that option.

Would I need some additional software for that?

Thanks
Dave Petersen
Offline nevw  
#24 Posted : 11 July 2012 04:59:40(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
John,

NN

Nev,

I didn't know this, I know ther are two arrow directions you can use and also the joystick but haven't had any luck with joystick as yet.

John

John, under settings 3 Icon down then towards bottom of the list
N
Offline NZMarklinist  
#25 Posted : 11 July 2012 06:11:45(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

I think you may understand better if you read the whole paragraph:
"This track must be insulated on both sides from the layout –
in case of Märklin® insulate the centre conductor and both
tracks! During programming the insulating gaps may not be
bridged (boogies, coaches with interior lighting, etc)."

Bogies might bridge the lateral rails of the programming track and main track, and that must be avoided.

Fred

All,
What Fred is talking about here is the seperation of the programming track form the main line. With Ecos, and I assume CS2, it is OK to have them physically connected and in non programming mode trains will run freely from one to the other. But they must be totally electrically iosolated.
He could also be referring to a different, non Ecos boost section of the layout Unsure, ie old M 6015/7 boosters which will work but do not transmit or carry the MFX commands. Furthermore the Track power and Programming track have differring current or "wattage" out puts. This seperation is for the protection of other programmable decoders of, for instance, the Marklin FX type, where if you program one you could affect another of the same type on the track, particularly a problem if your doing an address change. Scared
With MFX (M4) decoders you can "POM", program on the main track at random, as long as that section is connected to the ECos or powered by an Ecos booster.
I am leaning stronly towards an ECos myself when it comes time to upgrade and I can still use my CS1-R with it. However I do like the Marklin "Central Station" app for Ipad. I'm hoping our Touchcab friend will came out with something as good for Ipad ThumpUp Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline xxup  
#26 Posted : 11 July 2012 09:41:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
...Most of the bugs don't even concern us unless you're in micro decoders or other features we normally don't use...

I agree..

I have had an eCOS for many years now and I can't recall an update that prevented me from using the layout. Having said that - I always use the HSI-88 to read the s88s, which seems to be main source of pain on CSx and eCOSx (It was a source of pain, when I had the Intellibox and resulted in the introduction of the HSI-88 into the layout)..

Of course, HSI-88 can only be used on a computer controlled layout.. Cool
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline dpetersen  
#27 Posted : 11 July 2012 19:14:17(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
Question: Is it possible to stop/start a train on a route with the 50200? I don't see that option.

Would I need some additional software for that?

Thanks

Any thoughts on this? I would like to do some automation of trains starting and stopping on routes, but I think it's not possible with the 50200.
I've been reading about Win-Digipet, I think that would do everything I need...not sure if there is other software out there that would work well with ecos.
Dave Petersen
Offline nevw  
#28 Posted : 12 July 2012 00:28:15(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Dave,
It IS possible to stop train , say at a station which is in the route for a specified number of seconds.
However I am not sure that you can do that in the ECOS as I have not gone looking for that feature.

I am running ITRAIN and with that I can stop a train at a station/stations as part of the route. Also you can get loco sound functions to run, like whistle, shutting of doors, station announcements etc

Nev
Offline dpetersen  
#29 Posted : 12 July 2012 00:50:37(UTC)
dpetersen

United States   
Interesting...seems that the iTrain standard edition does what I'm looking for. I think Traincontroller would be a good option as well. Time to do some research...
Dave Petersen
Offline river6109  
#30 Posted : 12 July 2012 03:54:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
John,

NN

Nev,

John

John, under settings 3 Icon down then towards bottom of the list
N

Nev,

I found it moreless after you've mentioned it.

Now im still trying to reverse it with the sopeed knob (habbit), with the toystick I went tup and down instead of sideways.

thanks again

John

Offline NZMarklinist  
#31 Posted : 27 July 2012 04:10:05(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
...Most of the bugs don't even concern us unless you're in micro decoders or other features we normally don't use...

I agree..

I have had an eCOS for many years now and I can't recall an update that prevented me from using the layout. Having said that - I always use the HSI-88 to read the s88s, which seems to be main source of pain on CSx and eCOSx (It was a source of pain, when I had the Intellibox and resulted in the introduction of the HSI-88 into the layout)..

Hello Adrian,
With the HSI-88 in the system and when not using the computor to control, does the Ecos still read the S88s for it's own control logioc Confused
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 27 July 2012 05:51:35(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post

I agree..

Hello Adrian,
With the HSI-88 in the system and when not using the computor to control, does the Ecos still read the S88s for it's own control logioc Confused

yes