Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dave Banks  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2012 12:30:53(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi All, a while ago there was a topic about how the Red / Blue arrow would catch on the turnout lantern of C-Track namely the three way turnout doing a right turn. Well to my dismay I have found another of Marklin's products that hook up on that lantern. I would imagine any the 37320 & 37322 would suffer the same fate. At least like the Arrow one can simply remove the part that catches on the lantern as can be done on the RE620 series. Has anyone else come across this problem or know of other locos that suffer same fate?

Edited by user 21 June 2012 00:57:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

D.A.Banks
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2012 19:08:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have all the Maerklin Re 6/6 models (37320/21/22/23) but cannot comment on this issue as I do not have the three way turnout. Would it be possible for you to identify the location/part of the locomotive that contacts the lantern? Could you also post a photo of this?

Does the locomotive have a similar problem with a left turn on the same switch? What about if you replace the three way with a right handed switch?

If you can provide more detail, the information should be forwarded to the appropriate department at Maerklin so that it can be addressed.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2012 19:21:31(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike,

I think the position of the lantern or mechanism which causes the alleged problem, it wouldn't make any difference because being a 3 way turnout you switch to go right or left, it may help if the mechanism or lantern is placed on the left hand side and the loco travelles to the right but the moment goes to right the same problem occurs, I think.

besides all this, I don't know wether I'vementioned it before but I've cut a deeper groove so the brake pad sits in higher. (Red Arrow)

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2012 19:31:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I would just remove the turnout lanterns. Easy solution...
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2012 00:13:57(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
RE620 #37321

D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 21 June 2012 00:37:33(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
RE620 #37321

Mike I hope these two images are of some assistance to identifying the problem. Now if I had already done the ballast on this part of my layout I would be in trouble. One needs to push the lantern cover back on the clear plastic stalk & to do that you need to push it up from the bottom or insert some kind of implement to keep it staying proud before refitting it. As with the red arrow the offending part can be removed by just pulling it out same with this model & refitted when selling or displaying the loco. Yes, not fitting the lantern is an option but that defeats the object of the layout. Marklin need to put these locos through a test track where these small glitches can be identified before releasing the product to the public & not after the fact. Mike this loco hits only the R/H 3-way turnout if travelling shoe / slider first or motor first. Does not make contact on the left at all in any direction shoe leading or not.
D.A.Banks
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 21 June 2012 03:25:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is the reproduction of the Swiss Integra-Signum Magnet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integra-Signum) that seems to be the problem. This part is not essential to the operation of the locomotive and is a purely decorative part. As such, if it interferes with operation, you can trim or remove the part to allow for trouble-free operation. One possibility would be to somehow relocate the parts a few mm to the inside, so that it does not interfere with the switch lantern.

In reality, the Integra-Signum magnet has caused problems for SBB and Switzerland norm equipped loks. The SBB Cargo Re 421 as well as the Re 482 and BR 185 with Swiss package have had reported issues with the Integra magnet being damaged on railroad crossings and by station platforms in Germany and possibly Austria as well.

I will examine my Hag and Roco models to see how they rendered this detail on their models and whether their solutions may suggest a better option for you.

Out of curiosity, when the lok is reversed (turned 180 degrees on the track), and the Integra is between the 2nd and 3rd bogie, does the problem still occur or does it pass through the switch? What happens when turning to the left in these conditions? Your post seemed to indicate that it had the same problem turning right regardless of which direction the lok was placed on the rails.

One last question. Is the Maerklin 3 way switch symmetrical or asymmetrical in design? Some manufacturers have switches with separate frogs for left and right (each one has two positions - straight or curve) and others have the same frog that can be set to all three directions.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 21 June 2012 08:38:41(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Mike, this three way point has two separate frogs operated with two separate motors. The RE620 definitely does not like this point & on occasions gets hung up on it. The middle set of bogies seems to be the issue although I must do some more investigations in that area. I believe more downward tension is required on that bogie.

D.A.Banks
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 21 June 2012 09:06:21(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Dave, how you choose to look at the problem is obviously up to you, but I question your statement that removing one turnout lantern defeats the object of the layout. I would rather have a small, unnecessary detail removed from the layout than to remove a very visible part of a beautiful locomotive.

Is the object of the layout to display trackwork? If this is the case perhaps you should be using K Track which is more realistic. In my opinion the offending item here is the lantern and not the locomotive's magnet.

Another option would be to redesign that part of the layout to eliminate the 3 way point. That way you can keep both lantern and magnet.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Dave Banks  
#10 Posted : 21 June 2012 10:00:09(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   

Ray I can see your point of view as well & I have tussled with this issue in my mind for a while. I look at it this way. I have already done the layout wiring etc & this issue occurred after the fact & it would be a bit of hassle but not an insurmountable challenge to overcome. But out of my Marklin 105 locos only 2 so far have this issue. I am definitely not going to modify or defile any part of those loco. I like them to be original exterior wise at any rate. Both of those parts just "clip off" so to say. I have also a set of the three Green double Decker coaches that Marklin recently released & that caused a lot of issues & the layout had to be extensively modified for it to be used on one track only.Bridges & Catenary were the major obstacles. The coaches were just too long as well & just scrapped over the lanterns with hardly any gap at all. I guess it gets back to the fact that none of these issues should have arisen if the team at Marklin had done the homework. But nothing is perfect in life & in a way I enjoy the challenges a layout can throw at one.

D.A.Banks
Offline Dave Banks  
#11 Posted : 21 June 2012 10:18:13(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
UserPostedImage

Ray the offending 3 way point is the one just behind the leading TEE loco on the bend. Sorry it is an old photo but it was at hand.
D.A.Banks
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 21 June 2012 12:03:01(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
If the offending set of points is in hte fore ground tha tis a double slip. NOT 3 way

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 21 June 2012 20:59:34(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Is the Maerklin 3 way switch symmetrical or asymmetrical in design?
It's asymmetrical - the right turn is more like R1 while the left turn is the normal R2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#14 Posted : 21 June 2012 23:13:08(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
UserPostedImage

Ok to clear up any doubt as to which one it is, you got it now.

D.A.Banks