Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline REUBEN  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2012 20:42:06(UTC)
REUBEN

Hi everyone.
started with catenary over the double slip.anyhow whilst testing clearances for the longer coaches i found my SBB eurofima fouling on certain m track turnout lanterns.its severe enough to cause derailments.first time i notice this.any remedies?
or else i have to stick to older 24 cm coaches would be a pity...
REUBEN attached the following image(s):
009.jpg
015.jpg
014.jpg
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 01 June 2012 21:14:47(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Reuben,you can remove the lamps if you want to run longer coaches.

Dr D
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#3 Posted : 01 June 2012 23:45:50(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Hi Reuben - this is a pain, I know: sometimes my 24cm coaches would also just touch the lanterns - even my V200 did. I resorted to filing away the corners of the affected lanterns ever so carefully, and it worked. Just don't know about those 27 cm coaches however??....depends on the reverse curve angle too I suppose....(that's why the c track lanterns are so SMALL!!)
Joe
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 01 June 2012 23:51:47(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I have the same problem too. Marklin did make M track switches (1990's) with smaller lanterns that reduce the problem by 70-80% but even some newer Marklin and other manufactures cars will still hit occationally. I have both the 70's switch with the lanterns as you have and the newer 90's switch. As I am transitioning to C track, that will eliminate that problem.

As I am writing this, what may work is to go through the work of making a shallow or smaller lantern if you want to go through the work and keep the switches.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline kbvrod  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2012 00:26:43(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi Joe,all,

>(that's why the c track lanterns are so SMALL!!)<

Not really,the prototype are not that big!Smile

The M track that Reuben is showing is an older type,the lamps/lanterns got smaller on later editions.Remember too, that our track radii is much tighter than the 'real world'.Isn't this why M made (and others) made 1/100 coaches?So they could pass through these turnouts/points/switches?

Dr D

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline REUBEN  
#6 Posted : 02 June 2012 09:12:56(UTC)
REUBEN

thank you everyone for the good advice and information. I have a mix of c and m track.i like the m track turnouts because the lanterns really have a nice effect in the dark.also i have collected quite a few of them and they are all motorized.i guess then i will try one of or some of the remedies suggested by Joe,Dr D and Harold and will report back.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by REUBEN
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 02 June 2012 10:28:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Reuben,

My old M track layout had none of the turnouts with large lanterns, but I still had problems with a couple of locos fouling the small lantern on my curved turnouts.

When I changed over to C Track I made it a point (sorry) to leave out the lanterns, even though they are much smaller on C track turnouts. It's one less thing to worry about!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 02 June 2012 19:40:07(UTC)
H0

Hi all!
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Isn't this why M made (and others) made 1/100 coaches?So they could pass through these turnouts/points/switches?
I presume we see Märklin coaches on the pictures. Those are in length scale 1:100, they are not 27 cm coaches (only 26.4 cm).

Several coaches longer then 24 cm (scale 1:110) require those big old lanterns to be removed.

I remember we had to bend the hand levers of old M track turnouts with big levers, too, after we bought some 27 cm Lima coaches back in the '70s.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kbvrod  
#9 Posted : 03 June 2012 00:07:17(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: REUBEN Go to Quoted Post
thank you everyone for the good advice and information. I have a mix of c and m track.i like the m track turnouts because the lanterns really have a nice effect in the dark.also i have collected quite a few of them and they are all motorized.i guess then i will try one of or some of the remedies suggested by Joe,Dr D and Harold and will report back.

Hi Reuben,just let us know,what,why you solved your problem.

Dr Dirt.
Offline Markus Schild  
#10 Posted : 03 June 2012 00:36:06(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

In the Märklin-Magazin 3/1978 an instruction about the conversion of older switches was published. Unfortunately the spare-parts used are not available any more and the switches don't have any illumination any more.

I attach the page. It is in German. To see the full resolution save enlarged picture to your local disk or choose "view picture" on the enlarged picture.

Regards

Markus
Markus Schild attached the following image(s):
mm-1978-03_10.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild
Offline REUBEN  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2012 21:44:53(UTC)
REUBEN

well after more tests i have discovered two of the SBB CFF FFS carriages are fouling the turnout lamps as they are lower slung than the other 3. after much inspection and deliberation i have decided these two coaches of which one is the beautiful dome observation car and the other a 1st class coach(the one with the orange doors) should stay in their boxes.

i am not about to remove those lanterns and spoil classic m track turnouts.those old lanterns just look too nice.pity the kit that Marcus suggested is no longer around as that would be a proper conversion.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by REUBEN
Offline kbvrod  
#12 Posted : 04 June 2012 22:11:11(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: REUBEN Go to Quoted Post
well after more tests i have discovered two of the SBB CFF FFS carriages are fouling the turnout lamps as they are lower slung than the other 3. after much inspection and deliberation i have decided these two coaches of which one is the beautiful dome observation car and the other a 1st class coach(the one with the orange doors) should stay in their boxes.

i am not about to remove those lanterns and spoil classic m track turnouts.those old lanterns just look too nice.pity the kit that Marcus suggested is no longer around as that would be a proper conversion..

Hi Reuben,all,

A few options then,sell the coaches.A box is not where they should be,...
Keep you eye out for the conversion kits.
Enjoy your layout.BigGrin

Dr D

Offline Roman  
#13 Posted : 05 June 2012 00:22:56(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Amy way to reconfigure the problematic switch approaches for a less angular turn in keeping with the switch/track combinations that don't cause you issues?
Roman
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 05 June 2012 08:33:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have the same problem myself.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline biedmatt  
#15 Posted : 05 June 2012 13:57:30(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I had this problem in the early '80s and replaced all the switches to the newer version with the smaller lanterns.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline REUBEN  
#16 Posted : 05 June 2012 14:19:32(UTC)
REUBEN

Originally Posted by: Roman Go to Quoted Post
Amy way to reconfigure the problematic switch approaches for a less angular turn in keeping with the switch/track combinations that don't cause you issues?
Roman

Roman this would mean redesigning the entire layout again...

Offline REUBEN  
#17 Posted : 05 June 2012 14:21:12(UTC)
REUBEN

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I had this problem in the early '80s and replaced all the switches to the newer version with the smaller lanterns.

thats the way to go...BigGrin

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by REUBEN
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#18 Posted : 05 June 2012 21:24:51(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
...the old m lanterns are real classics aren't they...??!!
Joe
Offline REUBEN  
#19 Posted : 07 June 2012 13:24:28(UTC)
REUBEN

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
...the old m lanterns are real classics aren't they...??!!
Joe

Yes Joe a bit nostalgic
Offline Mark5  
#20 Posted : 08 June 2012 08:41:06(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hmmm, I read this whole post and wondering if I will have this problem... not even sure if any of my coaches are longer than 24cm,
but the question lingers in my mind: How much of a problem would this be with my solid 3-rail M-track switches of which I have acquired several.
They look beautiful and classic with the copper/bronze (?) finish, but at the end of the day, I want the layout to function well,
and my choices for track are based on functionality over against aesthetics and nostalgia.
I want things to run!

One could probably sell his switches and buy new ones on Ebay and end up not losing any money...
... maybe even make a little extra.

Just make sure things are packaged footballer-proof, right Kev?

- Mark

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?