Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Seetal  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2005 18:31:12(UTC)
Seetal

Hi there,

I have some very basic questions about control of electric turnout motors.

Control of the motor (Markiln 74490 or Viesmann 4550) can be either analog or digital.

If analog the motor is hooked up by wires to a control box (like Marklin 7271 or Viesmann 5547) which is in turn hooked up to a transformer.

If digital the motor is hooked up to a decoder (Marklin 74460 or Viesmann 5231). The decoder hooks up to the track and provides power to motor and also receives signal from a 6040 keyboard or IB. Now here is where I an unclear. Is that all I need? What does a k83 do (and what is the Viesmann equivalent)? k83 is referred to as a decoder, but I already have one under the C track (74490) or don't I? Does k83 replace the individual decoders (Marklin 74490)? Does that mean the control box (6040 keyboard or IB) is hooked up to the k83 and then I have to have wires out to all the turnout motors? And does a k83 require power directly from a transformer?

Sorry for all the basic questions, but as I look to the future I want to control turnouts mechanically and not the manual way I do today, which means I rarely switch the turnouts..not much fun. If I get a Telex loco then I want to do a lot more operations.

Thanks for any help.

John
Offline Hoffmann  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2005 18:45:41(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Hello John,

Your #74460 Decoder was designed as a single C-Track Turnout decoder, the k83 is a 4 function decoder ( 4 Turnouts/Signals etc). The k83 is hooked up to the #6021 or IB and your Turnout-motors are hooked up to the k83, this means the wires from your Turnout-motor blue and yellow are hooked up to the k83.
The C-track decoder #74460 is easier to hook up ( all hook ups under the Turnout )however if you have a lot of Turnouts the k83 is much cheaper.

Martin
marklin-eh
Offline Bart  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2005 19:42:36(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Hi John,
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Does k83 replace the individual decoders (Marklin 74490)?

74490 is the motor (without decoder)
74460 is the individual decoder.

For remote operation you will need the 74490 motor in any case, plus one of the 3 options for controlling the motor:

1. analog (control box)
2. individual decoders for each turnout (74460)
3. one k83 or equivalent decoder per 4 turnouts.

you don't need both 74460 and k83

*Bart
Offline Seetal  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2005 20:07:06(UTC)
Seetal

So does that mean that the k83 (or Viesmann 5211) has 4 different addresses?

John
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 23 January 2005 20:20:38(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Yes. They will be consecutive (i.e. 1,2,3,4 or 5,6,7,8)
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline Seetal  
#6 Posted : 23 January 2005 20:48:02(UTC)
Seetal

thank you all.

now I have a good picture of what the k 83 decoder does.

Does the K83 require a power supply or does it just plug into the keyboard? My guess is that is does not require a separate power supply feed.

And if the turnout motor is getting power from the track, then I assume that the more powered motors you have will force you into creating power blocks (80 f and booster required)otherwise you will not have enough power from a single transformer to power the trains?

John
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2005 21:44:00(UTC)
Webmaster

Yes, the kK83 needs power from "red" and "brown" (the track power). However it only needs power momentarily when it throws the the relay of turnout, signal or whatever you have connected to it.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 23 January 2005 22:03:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Go for the individual C track decoders. They are excellent and easy to install. Being under the track they are not seen and although the more expensive option are well worth the extra and no wiring is required.
David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline rschaffr  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2005 22:16:10(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Personally, I use the Viessmann 5211's since I can supply separate power to the unit for switching and not use my expensive digital power.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#10 Posted : 23 January 2005 22:54:32(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Personally, I use the Viessmann 5211's since I can supply separate power to the unit for switching and not use my expensive digital power.

Me too.
But then I speak about a permanent layout. For more temporary use, (or if I had lot of money) I would have used 74460 individual decoders
Offline Noel Loganathan  
#11 Posted : 23 January 2005 22:55:22(UTC)
Noel Loganathan

If you are considering using the 60830 (this supercedes the 6083) this would a cheaper alternative.

However, and pointed out previously, can be cumbersome - with all the wiring.

Trade off mate. Decsion time?
Noel
Offline viragoLDR  
#12 Posted : 23 January 2005 23:52:50(UTC)
viragoLDR

For permanent layouts I'd say go for a cheaper alternative. If you have to supply every single turnout with a c-track roadbed decoder it gets really expensive really fast. Also, many static layout builders stay away from tracks with built-in roadbed, in which case c-track roadbed decoders are useless. Which in turn brings you to another thing to consider, will you be using only c-track or switching to something else at some point?

Might sounds stupid, but I know of people who never considered this and got into problems and much stress ;) If you're building a static c-track layout with the roadbed decoders, make sure to make large holes underneith the track, so you can actually access motor and decoder afterwards ;)
- Martijn
(early planning : H0-scale Era I K.Bay.sts.b)
(active planning : N-scale mixed late Era Japanese)
(possibly something Z-scale as well ;))
Offline Timaximus  
#13 Posted : 24 January 2005 00:17:43(UTC)
Timaximus

Netherlands   
We have C-track with 26 turnouts.
All with rail-decoder + turnout-activator (all Maerklin).

It wasn't cheap, that's true.
But it is a simple and neat solution to automate your C-track turnouts.

We keep the Turnouts accessable yes, but we always need to remove some scenery and repair it afterwards.
For us it is not a big problem.

But true, it is something to think about bevore you begin.
Also we (me and my father) started new again in 2004 (C-track) after 16 years (M-track).
Märklin | HO | C+K Track | Digital | I+II+III+IV+V | Power and control by Uhlenbrock | Win-Digipet
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 24 January 2005 00:24:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Dont really see the need for holes under C track. The track is easy to lift if a replacement decoder is required. I take the point if you wish to change track type but with the excellent running of C track why change unless you wish to ballast by hand.
Why not try one decoder and see if you are happy....but beware once you start you will want to continue. I added a few decoders at a time and spread the expense.
David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline McLae  
#15 Posted : 24 January 2005 00:53:06(UTC)
McLae

I have had some 74460 go bad. Not sure what happened, I plugged them in and nothing. Also hard to wire them for automatic block control.[:p]

I am sticking with the K83(mostly V. 5211) option. Nice large boxes and wires to see and troubleshoot. Cool
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline rschaffr  
#16 Posted : 24 January 2005 01:33:47(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I am wondering about Marklin's quality control in the small electroncs products. I have had two switch lantern kits , one for C track and one for K track, that had bad resistors in them and didn't work. It wasn't worth the effort of returning them so I bought some of the surface mount resistors and replaced them myself. This is certainly in line with McLae's experience and the more general term of the quality of the "major" items that has been reported elsewhere.
-Ron
Offline Seetal  
#17 Posted : 24 January 2005 02:51:42(UTC)
Seetal

As usual we have options.

I will have a carpet layout for some time to come (3 kids and the eldest is 5) I am not really into the wires all over the place. In addition the layout goes up and down depending on when guests use my train room (my wife calls it the guest bedroom, not sure what that's all about Smile). So it looks like judicious use of separate decoders may be the way to go. Now all I have to do is decide on a digital system...IB, or Marklin (old or new)..such choices. I will wait until the Central is released and see IB's response.

There was a general comment about Marklin quality. I have my own experience but I will start another thread for that.

Thanks again, always enlightening to see the range of choices available and made.

John
Offline rschaffr  
#18 Posted : 24 January 2005 03:51:00(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
John.

I am somewhat myopic in that sense. Sorry. I was considering a permanent layout. For a layout that you will be setting up and taking down, C-track with the individual decoders for the switches is the best way to go. The ease of assembly and geometry control of the C-track is excellent for that and the "magic switches" make it very easy for you. Go for it.
-Ron
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#19 Posted : 24 January 2005 11:56:11(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by viragoLDR
<br />For permanent layouts I'd say go for a cheaper alternative. If you have to supply every single turnout with a c-track roadbed decoder it gets really expensive really fast. Also, many static layout builders stay away from tracks with built-in roadbed, in which case c-track roadbed decoders are useless. Which in turn brings you to another thing to consider, will you be using only c-track or switching to something else at some point?

Might sounds stupid, but I know of people who never considered this and got into problems and much stress ;) If you're building a static c-track layout with the roadbed decoders, make sure to make large holes underneith the track, so you can actually access motor and decoder afterwards ;)

The 74460 isn't completely useless even if you change to another track system (i e K-track). As long as you can hide the decoder under the roadbed or other things (houses, landscape details) it is possible to hook it up to K-track turnouts as well. Of course the connections will have to be modified...

Since the k83 prices have fallen by 50% or more lately it is now an attractive option to use this even for temporary layouts. As long as there are 3-4 turnout within reach for a decoder it is easy to connect them to a 6083 or 60830.

Another recent change is the introduction of Mobile Station. It is not possible to use it with 74460 decoders (as long as they are connected to track power). If you already have a 6021 + keyboard they can be used to feed k83 decoders - but this is probably just a temporary solution for most of us.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline MarioFabro  
#20 Posted : 28 January 2005 22:12:12(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Since we are on the topic of turnouts... can I control two turnouts out of the same decoder? For example, in hidden stations, you can control the entry and exit turnout with the same decoder, since all of the usage will be in that way. Maybe this is "digital for dummies" and you explained this in other parts of the forum as well.. if so, I do apologize (I know.. I am a lazy guy.. hence my lay-out still laying on the carpet [xx(]).
Thanks
Mario
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline rschaffr  
#21 Posted : 28 January 2005 22:20:40(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Usually you can. I have a few crossover pairs of switches hooked to the same decoder output. I have found that this works best with the Viessmann decoders that have a separate power input. On the k83 I have this setup on I installed a capacitor to give extra "punch" to the switching, since it wouldn't switch both turnouts reliably.
-Ron
Online xxup  
#22 Posted : 29 January 2005 01:18:40(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Usually you can. I have a few crossover pairs of switches hooked to the same decoder output. I have found that this works best with the Viessmann decoders that have a separate power input. On the k83 I have this setup on I installed a capacitor to give extra "punch" to the switching, since it wouldn't switch both turnouts reliably.

Hello John and Ron,
I also do this with the four curved turnouts (two per Viessmann 5211 port).. When they get "lazy", that is one turnout would not quite switch, my cure was to break up the layout and add a booster..

Fiddling with the switch time in WinDigiPet did not seem to make any difference... Interestingly, the IB would always reliably switch the turnouts, but the computer control means that multiple turnouts are switched in a very short time.

The capacitor is a neat idea - how is this wired?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline guimas  
#23 Posted : 30 May 2005 20:15:15(UTC)
guimas

I've got a couple of more questions about the turnout mechanisms:
1-What's the cheapest way of powering something like 20-30 (or more) turnout mechanisms? (Probably with the 18VA transformer that comes in starter sets)
2-Can I also power lights and other stuff (not the track) with the same power supply?
3-Is there any way to muffle the sound from the mechanism?
4-Is it possible to make soft transitions? (I read somewhere else in the forum about a mechanism by tortoise? and it seemed nice and cheap although somewhat big, but I want to use 74490s or something of the likes, as long as it fits under C-track) If not electrically, with some springs?
Thanks in advance!
"You could have a steam train
if you'd just lay down your tracks"
Peter Gabriel - Sledge Hammer
Offline Lars Westerlind  
#24 Posted : 30 May 2005 20:49:01(UTC)
Lars Westerlind

1. Running analog with a second hand 16 VA or 30 VA transformer. the 18 VA is DC; even though it would work, I don't recommend it. You don't need much power, as only one turnout is switched at a time; unless you connect lots of lamps.
2. Yes.
3. DC power might do the the trick. My previous note was because it's not the usual way with Märklin; if you have control boxes with led indication, the polarity must be correct for example.
4. Possible but takes of own work.
/Lars

Offline steventrain  
#25 Posted : 31 May 2005 00:52:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The 74460 price cost dear for one turnout but you can buy 60830 k83 (for four turnouts) was value for money.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Maxi  
#26 Posted : 31 May 2005 00:54:28(UTC)
Maxi

Perhaps the following link might help inspire soft switching of the turnouts.

http://www.floodland.nl/...in/info/elektro_en_4.htm

Maxi