Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2012 07:25:06(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

This is a interesting video from Whitebus family productions,its on the Branxholme Loco dump outside Invercargill

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
Offline Token  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2012 12:09:47(UTC)
Token

Australia   
Well done! A great piece on some of New Zealands lost heritage. K88 is a beautiful machine and yet, how close we came to never seeing her liike.

Regards,

Token (former Southland Boys' High student)
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2012 12:36:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
It is a pity that a lot of old locos end up under the scrap merchants cutting torch,
however there is not enough money to keep the oldies and restore them to past glory.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2012 05:01:47(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

I had a chat with a friend who is a volunteer with Mainline Steam who lives in Auckland,I was told at least 4 Nasmyth Wilson V class 2-6-2 have been recovered from Branxholme and only V 132 will be restored and the others used as parts supply.Also near Greymouth,I believe Omoto,there is a locomoive dump and two Sharp Stewart UC class were recovered
Offline kariosls37  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2012 05:52:42(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
You mean these parts?Wink
UserPostedImage
They are at the Fielding & Districts Steam Rail society's depot. There is a boiler, One whole and multiple parts of frames, plenty of wheels, cylinders and a collection of other bits.
I had the opportunity to photograph them together with plenty of other goodies they keep there when I was down there for the Euro Mini Convention. Talking to the people there, some thought it was a waste of time trying to restore them. But I've been told that in the aircraft world that hulks that would be considered to never be worth restoring 20 years ago are now very sought after. All it takes is on passionate induvidual like the late Bob Anderson, who restored K 88.

From looking at the parts, a new boiler would have to be made, but there is the dumped one to refer to. The rest of the parts look in a reasonable condition. There is plenty to at least restore one, if not two of the 13 origionally built in 1885, which is pretty amazing as they went out of service almost 100 years ago!

The locomotives at Omoto were dumped a lot later, and are whole locomotives opposed to the stripped hulks found in Branxholme.
Two Uc's and 1 La were recovered from there in 2005 and are stored awaiting overhaul.
See also:
http://www.whitebusfamily.co.nz/omoto_salvage.htm

Other engines recovered from rivers in new Zealand include a pair of Wb 2-6-2T's , a Wd 2-6-4T, the W&MR Co's No.9, sister engine to the record breaking No.10 (2-6-2), some P 2-8-0's and a few more.
For a full list of preserved railway rolling stock, see:
[img=http://www.nzrsr.co.nz]http://www.nzrsr.co.nz[/img]

However, don't expect any of them to run any time soon. Keeping locomotives running is a challenging for most heritage railways, which are desperately short of volunteers. Most have a lot of other engines that have not run since the end of steam which are in a much better condition than these river hulks. In Glenbrook there are 7 steam locos that have either never been run in preservation or need major work done to them before they will steam again. Of course instead of sitting here in front of your computer daydreaming, you can help out your local vintage railway by volunteering, which is varied and fun. It will make a diffrenceThumpUp

Cheers,
Rick