Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2012 12:38:41(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Arrived today the Hornby Dublo A4 Silver King for 3 rail DC (not AC as for Maerklin).
She is an absolute beauty!
Purchased some Trix Express (3 rail DC) track and she seems to fit perfectly in these rails.
Boxes for loco and tender are new replica boxes.
Comparing her with earlier purchased Hornby A4 Mallard for 2 rail DC,the Dublo version seems to be smaller in scale,almost H0.

Enjoy!
NS1200 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2326.jpg
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2012 12:42:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I think you've enjoyed it more than me.

I see a picture has appeared, this makes half of the enjoymentBigGrin
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2012 12:43:20(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

John

Why?

Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2012 12:45:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post

John

Why?

Your post didn't have an attachment, when I viewed your post.BigGrin

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 28 April 2012 12:50:33(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   

John

Why?

Your post didn't have an attachment, when I viewed your post.BigGrin

John,

The way i understand it is that you first have to post a comment,and then attach the picture,so there are always a couple of minutes between the two steps before the picture can be seen.
Also,the picture has to be made smaller before attaching it.
Anyway,you can see my second Hornby loco now.
Please do not worry,i will return to buying Maerklin again later,when my bankaccount has been replenished.

Kind regards,
Paul.

Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 28 April 2012 13:17:20(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice, Paul.

New replacement boxed from http://www.coopertrains.com/shopreplicaboxes.html
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline NS1200  
#7 Posted : 28 April 2012 13:32:11(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Very nice, Paul.

New replacement boxed from http://www.coopertrains.com/shopreplicaboxes.html

Steven,

I purchased the loco and the boxes from Coopertrains!

Paul.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 28 April 2012 23:11:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Paul,
Nice Silver King loco and box. The colour scheme is how she was running after 1955.

Regards the scale, I recently sold a late Hornby A4, but I forgot to compare it with my Hornby Dublo A4s, so I don't know if it was smaller. I would be interested to learn the exact difference.

Regards Cooper Trains, I had not dealt with them before your post. I have now bought a few things from them. I am finding that it may no longer be necessary to buy on eBay, as he seems to have stock of most stuff that I want (track, accessories, engines, rolling stock). This is good.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2012 11:43:06(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,
Nice Silver King loco and box. The colour scheme is how she was running after 1955.

Regards the scale, I recently sold a late Hornby A4, but I forgot to compare it with my Hornby Dublo A4s, so I don't know if it was smaller. I would be interested to learn the exact difference.

Regards Cooper Trains, I had not dealt with them before your post. I have now bought a few things from them. I am finding that it may no longer be necessary to buy on eBay, as he seems to have stock of most stuff that I want (track, accessories, engines, rolling stock). This is good.

regards
Kimball

Dear Kimball,

Cooper have done a good job,the parcel was very well packed and despatch was speedy.

One thing which disturbes me about the A4 3-rail Silver King is the roughly shaped coalbed in the tender.
I do recall that on Youtube i saw someone who replaced it with a much more detailed coalbed.
The coalbed seems to be fixed at a centerpoint,both sides front and back are a bit tilted,not a pretty sight.
Perhaps Cooper can help me out.

About difference in size: the A4 3- rail DC is lower than the 2-rail DC,i wil put them both on the diningtable and take some more pictures,to follow asap.

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2012 16:26:34(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Herewith some pixs taken of the Maerklin 3097 BR03 (also a Pacific) in H0 scale versus Hornby Dublo A4 Silver King in 00 scale and Hornby 2-rail A4 Mallard in 00 scale.
I have alligned the buffers of the 3 loco's at the front end.
The Maerklin BR03 has length over buffers of 27.7 cm.
The Hornby Dublo has length over buffers of 28.3 cm,height to chimneytop is 5.2 cm.
The Hornby Mallard has length over buffers of 29 cm,height to chimneytop is 5.6 cm.

Looking at the M model,difference between H0 and 00 scale is obvious,the H0 loco looks more fragile.
The Hornby Dublo A4 looks fairly slim,but it is missing the distinctive bulge in the plating just in front of the driverscabin,which is cleary seen at the Mallard version for 2-rail.
All in all the 00 Mallard for 2-rail has a more bulky presentation,she seems to have more fat on the bones so to speak.

Edited by user 30 April 2012 11:04:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

NS1200 attached the following image(s):
IMG_2330.jpg
IMG_2332.jpg
IMG_2333.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 30 April 2012 01:59:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Herewith some pixs taken of the Maerklin 3097 BR03 (also a Pacific) in H0 scale versus Hornby Dublo A4 Silver King in 00 scale and Hornby 2-rail A4 Mallard in 00 scale.
The Hornby Dublo has length over buffers of 28.3 cm,height to chimneytop is 5.2 cm.
The Hornby Mallard has length over buffers of 29 cm,height to chimneytop is 6.6 cm.

Looking at the M model,difference between H0 and 00 scale is obvious,the H0 loco looks more fragile.
The Hornby Dublo A4 looks fairly slim,but it is missing the distinctive bulge in the plating just in front of the driverscabin,which is cleary seen at the Mallard version for 2-rail.
All in all the 00 Mallard for 2-rail has a more bulky presentation,she seems to have more fat on the bones so to speak.

Hi Paul,

I really appreciate the effort you have put into that, thank you.

Firstly, do you give me permission to put that comparison pic on my website (Hornby Dubo stuff), so long as I give you acknowledgment?

Secondly, regarding the HD tender. Yes, the plastic casting was done in the days when not very good quality materials. The casting itself, was probably realistic enough for the standards of the time. For example, the size of the coal lumps seems large, but firemen in those days were expected to climb onto the tender, and break up large lumps with a hammer. The distortion in hte plastic (if on your example) is very common.

Most of the old HD engines I have seen, this moulding has gone out of shape. Almost the same effect as leaving plastic in the sun. There is no quick fix. To remove this plastic, you must first undo the sheet-metal fold-over tabs at the bottom of the tender. The plastic was fixed to the metal tender top by protrusions through two holes in the metal, then touched with a hot iron to splay the protrusions. First you have to get rid of these protrusions, then you can reshape the plastic in a fashion, by immersion in hot water. This is not always entirely successful.

In my opinion, it is better to leave the Silver King tender as it is, because it is normal for most models of that era. But you can always ask Cooper what he can do to fix it.

You might notice too, Paul, that the HD has a corridor (vestibule used for exchanging crew while running) tender, whereas the Hornby Mallard is a plain tender. That is how many of the prototypes were first equipped, some with corridors, some without.

Regarding "fat on the bones", I believe the valances (covers, skirts) over the driving wheels really add to that perception. They were removed from all 35 of the A4 engines during the early 1940s, and never replaced.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 30 April 2012 06:09:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bryan  
#12 Posted : 30 April 2012 05:50:51(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
The Hornby Dublo A4 was first released in September 1938 by Meccano Ltd. Post war the livery and slight tooling changes were made up until May 1965. After 1966 Wrenn took up the Dublo tools and the model was produced again up until November 1992. It just shows the Dublo A4 was one of the best model locos to be produced before the war. The Dublo A4 was also very revolutionary in 1938, it introduced 12v DC and became the first production model loco to have this standard. This was taken up post war by other manufacturers and has thus become the standard voltage of today. Meccano and Marklin were very similar model train manufactures having the same ideals in quality. Meccano got into finalicial problems in 1964 due to the slot car craze and did not survive. Marklin did survive and has carried on with quality model train manufacture. It was a great pity Dublo did not continue to do the same.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 30 April 2012 06:28:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
....... It just shows the Dublo A4 was one of the best model locos to be produced before the war. The Dublo A4 was also very revolutionary in 1938, it introduced 12v DC and became the first production model loco to have this standard. This was taken up post war by other manufacturers and has thus become the standard voltage of today. ...

Hi Bryan,
I often wonder about the use of miniature open-framed 12v motors in that time. It was the then standard voltage for many motor vehicles and trucks, and I might presume, standard in aviation as well.

Was the manufacture of these miniature motors part of the pre-war effort to test and prove such methods, and other applications? The Hornby Dublo motors certainly proved robust. They did change the design slightly about 1949, going to a modular block magnet design, rather than a whole horse-shoe shaped magnet.

I have purchased some of these old HD products manufactured before 1950, put them on the track, and they run without effort.

The appeal of these models is as much for their being made completely of metal, like most Marklin.

regards
Kimball
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 30 April 2012 06:40:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
.... Meccano and Marklin were very similar model train manufactures having the same ideals in quality. Meccano got into finalicial problems in 1964 due to the slot car craze and did not survive. Marklin did survive and has carried on with quality model train manufacture. It was a great pity Dublo did not continue to do the same.

Hi Bryan,

Yes, it was a pity that Dublo did not survive. However, while many have ear-marked slot cars as the cause of the demise, I disagree.

Meccano from 1959 modernised their offerings with plastic moulding, and at the same time, introduced 2 rail models. I believe this spread their resource too thinly. They still offered 3 rail stuff, but no longer gave it the emphasis or marketing that it deserved.

This meant that Meccano was competing against itself. With the added burden of competitive items (including slot-cars), a shortage in cash flow resulted. It could no longer support the effort required. In contrast, Marklin stuck with their tried, proven and successful 3 rail offerings, and we all know the result.

regards
Kimball
Offline Bryan  
#15 Posted : 30 April 2012 09:46:14(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Dear Kimball

Hornby Dublo continuing 3-rail after the introduction of 2-rail in 1959 may have been a small part of Meccano's financial problems.
Richard Lines (ex Rovex Ltd) has stated this was Meccano's basic problem, writing about Dublo's duplicate systems in one of his Tri-ang reflection books.
However the main problem was in the understated recession in the model train industry in the UK and USA in the early 1960's.

The two big sellers in 1964 were slot cars and LP records not model trains.

In 1964 the following happened:
1) Bassett-Lowke went into liquidation.

2) Leeds Model Co went into liquidation.

3) Lionel in the USA took over the distribution of Scalextric to help with its model train sales decline.

4) Trix twin (UK) was bought out by the Courtaulds Group.

5) Tri-ang themselves were having a hard time with model train sales.
They were very lucky as the company manufactured the X04 motor used in the Scalextrix cars which helped their production lines.
Tri-ang did though discontiniue their TT range of trains.

6) The Lone Star range of 000 electric trains went off the market having a bright start.

6) Meccano's Dublo model train sales were brilliant in 1959 - 61, in 1962 they were half the 1961 sales figures.
In 1963 sales dropped by half of 1962, and in 1964 once again they were half of 1963.
Meccano took a huge financial gamble to produce their 2-rail Super Detailed range of Hornby Dublo from 1958 -62.
They were just too much in debt with the banks in producing the new SD tooling. With this debt they unfortunately hit the early 1960's model train recession and that was their end.

The Super Detailed range of Dublo with their Ring-Field motors was even better quality than Marklin at the time.
The irony was Wrenn went on to use the Dublo tools and made vast quanties of trains in the 1970's only.
Also Tri-ang's greatest fear in 1966 was if someone else got control of the Dublo tools.
This is why Wrenn was bought by the Lines Bros in 1965 before Wrenn were given the Dublo tools.

And so Hornby Dublo's demise was due to very bad luck in the Model Train industry in the early 1960's.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#16 Posted : 30 April 2012 10:41:46(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for that explanation, very good. I certainly would not disagree with the fact of the 1960s recession, and its effect on the model railroad market.

It is a pity we are having this discussion on a Marklin forum. It is an interesting subject in its own right.

regards
Kimball
Offline NS1200  
#17 Posted : 30 April 2012 11:11:28(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
The Hornby Mallard has length over buffers of 29 cm,height to chimneytop is 6.6 cm.

Hi Paul,

I really appreciate the effort you have put into that, thank you.

Firstly, do you give me permission to put that comparison pic on my website (Hornby Dubo stuff), so long as I give you acknowledgment?

Secondly, regarding the HD tender. Yes, the plastic casting was done in the days when not very good quality materials. The casting itself, was probably realistic enough for the standards of the time. For example, the size of the coal lumps seems large, but firemen in those days were expected to climb onto the tender, and break up large lumps with a hammer. The distortion in hte plastic (if on your example) is very common.

Most of the old HD engines I have seen, this moulding has gone out of shape. Almost the same effect as leaving plastic in the sun. There is no quick fix. To remove this plastic, you must first undo the sheet-metal fold-over tabs at the bottom of the tender. The plastic was fixed to the metal tender top by protrusions through two holes in the metal, then touched with a hot iron to splay the protrusions. First you have to get rid of these protrusions, then you can reshape the plastic in a fashion, by immersion in hot water. This is not always entirely successful.

In my opinion, it is better to leave the Silver King tender as it is, because it is normal for most models of that era. But you can always ask Cooper what he can do to fix it.

You might notice too, Paul, that the HD has a corridor (vestibule used for exchanging crew while running) tender, whereas the Hornby Mallard is a plain tender. That is how many of the prototypes were first equipped, some with corridors, some without.

Regarding "fat on the bones", I believe the valances (covers, skirts) over the driving wheels really add to that perception. They were removed from all 35 of the A4 engines during the early 1940s, and never replaced.

regards
Kimball

Dear Kimball,

You are entirely free to use my comparison in any way you want.

Have corrected the sizes measured.

Cheers,
Paul.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline steventrain  
#18 Posted : 30 April 2012 21:51:49(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
hi paul,

the Hornby dublo A4 was production in 1938-1964.

The first was blue livery in 1938 and the BR green in the 1950s, The wrenn takeover the Hornby dublo and reproduction from 1967-1992 with triang/hornby plastic tender. (In 1988-1992 have a large driving wheels, height to chimneytop is 5.4 cm).
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Bryan  
#19 Posted : 01 May 2012 05:04:44(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Kimball

The mechanism in the Dublo A4 was superbly designed in 1938 and beat all other manufactures in their day.
The two engineers at Meccano responsibile for the 1938 Dublo design were Donald Smith (general design) and Ronald Wyborn (electrical design).
Both men were of a previous era were British was best and perfection was paramount.
I did correspond with Ron before he died and he was certainly a perfectioist in my view.
His detailed letters on Dublo motor design and magnetiser specifications were quite something.
Ron stated from the outset he wanted the Dublo motors to have pin point shafts with ajustable thrust ball bearings.
Dublo motors went through 3 stages of development, first the 3/4 inch standard type as in the A4, the 1/2" in the first Castles and finally the 3/4" Ring-Fields.
All 3 of these motor designs had thrust ball bearings. Not even Marklin had this design quality and only the Swiss manufacture Hag do today, testiment to Dublo's quality.
Dublo loco mechs were also the first with radio suppression units in 1950. Meccano actually defined these British standards to the government of the day as they were also the leaders in this area.
Offline hellwigm  
#20 Posted : 02 May 2012 13:50:34(UTC)
hellwigm

Arrived today the Hornby Dublo A4 Silver King for 3 rail DC (not AC as for Maerklin).
She is an absolute beauty!
Purchased some Trix Express (3 rail DC) track and she seems to fit perfectly in these rails.
Boxes for loco and tender are new replica boxes.
Comparing her with earlier purchased Hornby A4 Mallard for 2 rail DC,the Dublo version seems to be smaller in scale,almost H0.

Enjoy!

Congratulations purchasing A4!

I have just completed Tri Ang Orientexpress coaches with HORNBY Sir Nigel Gresley pulling the train. You see Passangers change from Montrose Scotland. Duchess of Montrose goes back to Montrose where next train is waiting. All running on a MÄRKLIN layout!
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-b-6512.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-c-c20a.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-d-c51c.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-f-9bf3.jpg

greetings MÄRKLIN ANALOG H0 & HORNBY ANALOG H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hellwigm
Offline steventrain  
#21 Posted : 02 May 2012 14:38:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, thanks for sharing the pictures hellwigm.ThumpUp