Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2012 20:40:24(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Greetings,

I fear i am about to fall in love with the A4 Mallard made by Hornby.
From information gathered from internet i understand Hornby made various versions of the lightblue A4 Mallard steamloco,including at least one jubilee version with special golden lettering.
I would be tempted to buy one but it needs to be an AC version fit for Maerklin track (00 scale versus H0 scale).
There is no need for sound functions or digital control,it will be put on static display together with my Maerklin trains.
Information by Hornby on internet is scarse and confusing.
I would like to know the productnumber for a proper AC version.
Also,i would welcome your input as to which version,jubilee or otherwise,has your preference.
Finally,perhaps you could tell me what is a realistic price for a factory new in box model.

Review as follows:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=...GGI4&feature=related

I would be much obliged.

Thank you all,

Paul.

Edited by user 17 April 2012 20:13:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2012 22:58:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Greetings,

From information gathered from internet i understand Hornby made various versions of the lightblue A4 Mallard steamloco,including at least one jubilee version with special golden lettering.
I would be tempted to buy one but it needs to be an AC version fit for Maerklin track (00 scale versus H0 scale).

Paul.

Hi Paul,
I have followed British modelling for decades.
I have never seen Hornby offer a ready-to-run AC version of this engine, suitable for 3 rail.

As the A4 has a rather simplistic body shell, and runs on a fairly standard 4-6-2 chassis, it may not be beyond Marklin to actually produce this model. In metal of course.

Although British modelling is done at a scale of 1:76 (but on HO track), what the heck!. Marklin and others vary their production scales by up to 15% to offer models that are practical.

I wrote to Marklin some years ago. 2013 represents the 75th anniversary of the operational peak of steam hauled passenger train travel in many parts of the world. The A4 class of the LNER represents one of those peaks.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline drstapes  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2012 02:17:22(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Hornby 00 started in 1938 as 3 rail

After the war it continued as 3 rail before changing to 2 rail in about 1959

try this ebay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item4844e3fc37
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2012 06:51:17(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thank you friends,

I am sure i saw a clip on Youtube about a Hornby AC version,please give me time to find it.

Herewith a nice clip about the Mallard and other A4 locomotives:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=...r9Sk&feature=related

And indeed: Maerklin,where are you?

Paul.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2012 07:31:21(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the video link, it is a good one.

I have a particular interest (my wife calls it an obsession) with the A4, so I have a few models.

See http://www.qldrail.net/lner/

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2012 15:02:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Paul,

It is a loco with gold plate wheels limited edition.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2012 15:04:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: drstapes Go to Quoted Post
Hornby 00 started in 1938 as 3 rail

After the war it continued as 3 rail before changing to 2 rail in about 1959

try this ebay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...&hash=item4844e3fc37

The HornbyDublo/wrenn with large motor with chassic cannot do with DCC.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline THeffer  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2012 15:34:27(UTC)
THeffer

Paul,

Here's a clip of some Hornby conversions that I converted to run on a Marklin layout.

Tim
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by THeffer
Offline NS1200  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2012 20:32:38(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thank you all for your valuable input.
Must say that i find the A4 a very interesting locomotive,both as prototype as well as in scalemodel.
Nice to learn that apart from Mallard there were numerous other A4 versions,with famous and glorious operating names.
Mallard was the most famous because of her speed record,whereby it should be noted that the speed record nearly killed her,story goes that her drive gear was seriously damaged during the attempt.
The facinating aspect about these pre WW2 locomotives is the contrast between the future shaped outside and the conventional way of operation in the drivers cab,also applicable to german streamlined loco's of the same era by the way.
One would expect to find a sophisticated automated way of coal feeding and luxourious drivers dashboard to match with the science fiction shaped rocket like outside appearance,not so,it required Werner von Brauns V2 rocket in WW2 to make a giant step ahead in thinking in this respect.
Also interesting to note is that during their last phase of operational life the A4 loco's carried freighttrains,i never knew that.

Now back to the various Hornby models.
In case there is no AC version available,i might even consider buying a DC version for static display,question is which one (Hornby product code?????).
I like the golden jubilee version with special lettering,but what is the productcode of that one????
What am i buying: is the hood plastic and the undercarriage metal?,is the motor in the tender and how does that behave on the tracks?,is there sufficient attention to detail,does the loco feel right so to speak?
Must say that Hornby is not very well known on the continent,so i am dancing in the dark so to speak.
In any event the models in the above posts have a charm of their own,i like that.

This one is running on Maerklin track,but is it AC or DC:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=...unRc&feature=related

And with sound and smoke:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4UrdD9tHGo

Cheers,
Paul.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2012 23:32:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: THeffer Go to Quoted Post
Paul,

Here's a clip of some Hornby conversions that I converted to run on a Marklin layout.

Tim

Hi Tim,
Nice job. Nice job on the conversions.

I was going to ask, but right at the end of the video, you describe the conversions well.

I don't recognize the clerestory coaches behind Emily, are they a Hornby product?

Neil, the Hornby Dublo 1938- Wrenn 1970 products were a metal body. As they were strictly DC locos, you would need to supply a recifier and reversing relay to run them on your analogue Marklin system.
This has been done by another member here on this forum, which I can dig up if you are interested.

All the later ones by Hornby are plastic body, some had a tender drive, the same as shown in Tim's video. Tim used his on a digital layout.

There have been dozens of variants of the A4 done by Hornby.

Mallard was also done by Trix, there are plenty on eBay - for a static model, or to convert to Marklin analogue, that may be the way to go. See item 370487687554 on UK eBay, or go to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIX-LNER-4-6-2-A4-CLASS-LOCOMOTIVE-MALLARD-NEW-BOXED-/370487687554?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5642c97982

regards
Kimball
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 14 April 2012 08:27:50(UTC)
H0

This one is running on Maerklin track,but is it AC or DC
The first coach has a slider. Looks like a cable running from this coach to the loco.
So loco runs from centre rail. It runs digitally, so neither AC nor DC.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline NS1200  
#12 Posted : 14 April 2012 17:45:39(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the video link, it is a good one.

I have a particular interest (my wife calls it an obsession) with the A4, so I have a few models.

See http://www.qldrail.net/lner/

regards
Kimball

Thanks Kimball,

I fully understand your obsession,it looks like mine,i think it does not really harm other people.
I have done some digging into the Hornby and Wren history,plenty factfinding on internet.
Have now purchased a brandnew in box Hornby R2684 Mallard 70th anniversary with gold plated parts,and am about to purchase a Hornby Dublo EDL II A4 Silver King in 3-rail version in excellent condition,plus a replica box, from a specialed shop in the U.K. called Coopertrains.com.

Neither of the two locomotives are likely to run over tracks,but just for my peace of mind: does 3-rail Hornby Dublo mean AC or DC?
I suspect DC,the old Trix trains on the continent were DC on 3-rail tracks,with very wide wheelrims.

Apart from the A4 loco's,Hornby Dublo issued a number of interesting other locomotives,including some shunters.
I fear this is going to be a second collection of trains,next to my Maerklin obsession.......

Cheers,
Paul.

Edited by user 15 April 2012 11:57:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline THeffer  
#13 Posted : 14 April 2012 18:17:41(UTC)
THeffer

I don't recognize the clerestory coaches behind Emily, are they a Hornby product?

regards
Kimball

Kimball,
The coaches that I have for Emily are Bachmann's. I had first converted a Bachmann Loco "Emily" however it didn't handle the marklin switches well.

Tim
Offline kimballthurlow  
#14 Posted : 15 April 2012 00:07:22(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

.....,and am about to purchase a Hornby Dublo EDL II A4 Silver King in 3-rail version in excellent condition,plus a replica box, from a specialed shop in the U.K. called Coopertrains.com.

Neither of the two locomotives are likely to run over tracks,but just for my peace of mind: does 3-rail Horby Dublo mean AC or DC?
I suspect DC,the old Trix trains on the continent were DC on 3-rail tracks,with very wide wheelrims.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the link to Cooper, his prices are very reasonable, and his stock looks good quality. I had not seen that site before. Congratulations on getting two very nice pieces to start you on your English project.

Yes, the Hornby Dublo, both 2 rail and 3 rail is DC only. The 3 rail has the same advantages as Marklin with the centre pick-up, less interruption to power, easy reversing loops etc. The only thing it lacks is the ability to run through points from the back when set against you. You can do this with C track, I suppose it is the case with M track.

I have been told that Hornby Dublo 3 rail can use M track with the solid centre rail, but the wheels are not quite compatible at the points.

regards
Kimball
Offline NS1200  
#15 Posted : 15 April 2012 15:16:09(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thanks Kimball,

DC is a bit confusing for me,in my days of youth one made a basic choise for the rest of life: either Maerklin or Trix,sometimes Fleischmann.
The older Trix is extra confusing because of the different tracksystems used.
If i am well informed,Trix Express was using the 3-rail system with continuous middle rail,the railprofile is rather wide,requiring pizza knife style wheelrims.
I think the Trix Express rails fit nicely to the Hornby Dublo 3-rail loco's,as such i have in mind to buy some Trix Express track on german Ebay,there is plenty around.
Later on,there was Trix International,using standard 2-rail track,fit for all sorts of DC trains.
When Trix was absorbed by Maerklin,i do recall that sometimes Maerklin came up with a Maerklin model fit for Trix Express track,this can be clearly identified when the loco has wide wheelrims ( like Hornby Dublo!).

The purpose of the Trix Express 3-rail system was to be able to operate two trains independant from each other on the same track,the connecting rail has 3 connecting points for that purpose.

Have found some interesting Trix Express sites on internet,some referring to Trix and Bing in the United kingdom,there is also plenty rolling stock for sale,including a very nice BR01 steamloco.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr5-JANLqjo

All in all another nice subject to fill in your rainy days!

Cheers,
Paul.
Offline NS1200  
#16 Posted : 15 April 2012 19:29:06(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Dear Kimball,

Forgot to tell that on the english Ebay.UK there is a lot for sale for Hornby loco's such the A4.
Saw some sticker sets by means of which you can complete a re-sprayed loco.
Found some re-sprayed loco's for sale,including a black wartime A4.

And again,for Trix Express 3-rail track have a look on Ebay.DE .
I just purchased 12 curved and 24 straight track pieces in original boxes (1955) from a private seller,let us hope the Hornby Dublo A4 can run on that.

Cheers,
Paul.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 16 April 2012 00:38:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Paul,

The 3 rail Trix was a bit different.

However, I hope your HD will run on it. I think it will.

Marklin and HD 3 rail had the single "positive/bahnstrom" rail in the centre, and the "ground return" on the two outer rails.

Trix rail on the other hand was designed with the centre rail being the "ground return". Each outer rail contained a separate "positive/bahnstrom", so one engine used the LH rail for power, and the second engine used the RH rail.

I have never seen or used the Trix system, but I imagine it worked well.

regards
Kimball
Offline kimballthurlow  
#18 Posted : 16 April 2012 10:25:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Paul,

If you can listen to a wave file, this is for you.

http://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/A/a4-2.wav

Chime whistle of an A4

regards
Kimball
Offline NS1200  
#19 Posted : 16 April 2012 20:45:11(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Paul,

The 3 rail Trix was a bit different.

However, I hope your HD will run on it. I think it will.

Marklin and HD 3 rail had the single "positive/bahnstrom" rail in the centre, and the "ground return" on the two outer rails.

Trix rail on the other hand was designed with the centre rail being the "ground return". Each outer rail contained a separate "positive/bahnstrom", so one engine used the LH rail for power, and the second engine used the RH rail.

I have never seen or used the Trix system, but I imagine it worked well.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball,

This still leaves me puzzled about the sort of track required for Hornby Dublo loco's.
What sort of track are you using,or are you just keeping them on static display?
I have asked Coopertrains also about this.

The A4 Silver King 3-rail has been purchased from Coopertrains,plus replica boxes for loco and tender.
Is the pick-up shoe in the middle picking up current from the middle rail or is it feeding back negative current and picking up positive current from the outerrails,like with Trix Express?
Anyway,the Trix Express rails are on their way,so shortly i will give it a try.

In any event,the Hornby Dublo A4 will be a beauty in her own right,perhaps more are to follow in future.

Cheers,
Paul.

Offline NS1200  
#20 Posted : 16 April 2012 20:55:10(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Hi Kimball,

A clip with Hornby Dublo A4 Silver King,great stuff,nostalgic movie theatre like comments and music:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBA38WFmxlk

And a clip with another nice Hornby A4:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDkttpqi6BE

Hornby also made a number of very interesting English trainsets,at reasonable prices.
One would almost be tempted to start a date with Hornby,and leave aunty Maerklin at home for a change......

Paul.

Edited by user 17 April 2012 06:36:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kimballthurlow  
#21 Posted : 17 April 2012 01:22:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   

......Is the pick-up shoe in the middle picking up current from the middle rail ......
In any event,the Hornby Dublo A4 will be a beauty in her own right,perhaps more are to follow in future.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul,
Yes, the centre pick-ups on the HD work exactly the same way as Marklin.

In my opinion, the Trix track will work. Just use the centre track for positive DC, and either one or both outer tracks as the ground.

I use the old 3 rail HD track which is widely available on eBay. I have a small layout in my garage on which I run the trains. Here is a link to a recent purchase to give you an idea. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/260998183205?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
That same seller still has other track and points listed to give you an idea.

regards
Kimball
Offline hellwigm  
#22 Posted : 02 May 2012 15:38:27(UTC)
hellwigm

Greetings,

There is no need for sound functions or digital control,it will be put on static display together with my Maerklin trains.
Information by Hornby on internet is scarse and confusing.
I would like to know the productnumber for a proper AC version.
Also,i would welcome your input as to which version,jubilee or otherwise,has your preference.
Finally,perhaps you could tell me what is a realistic price for a factory new in box model.

Review as follows:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=...GGI4&feature=related

I would be much obliged.

Thank you all,

Paul.

Hi Paul, this may give you an idea how to run old HORNBY DUCHESS OF MONTROSE on MÄRKLIN AC

http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-1-c4ca.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-2-c81e.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-3-eccb.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-4-a87f.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-5-e4da.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-6-1679.jpg

http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-h-70ef.jpg

There is space enough under the bodyshell of SIR NIGEL GRESLEY to place a MÄRKLIN relais and 4 diods.

Marcus
Offline NS1200  
#23 Posted : 02 May 2012 20:14:20(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thank you,Marcus.

I have decided to put my two Hornby A4 steamers on static display for the rest of my life.
Purchased some old Trix Express rails to test the Hornby Dublo loco,she seems to fit nicely on these rails.
Found out there is plenty Trix Express rails for sale,especially in Germany.
Found some interesting Trix Express loco's and trainsets too.
Who knows what the future will bring in this respect.

Kind regards,
Paul.
Offline hellwigm  
#24 Posted : 03 May 2012 15:12:37(UTC)
hellwigm

Thank you,Marcus.

I have decided to put my two Hornby A4 steamers on static display for the rest of my life.
Purchased some old Trix Express rails to test the Hornby Dublo loco,she seems to fit nicely on these rails.
Found out there is plenty Trix Express rails for sale,especially in Germany.
Found some interesting Trix Express loco's and trainsets too.
Who knows what the future will bring in this respect.

Kind regards,
Paul.

Hi Paul,

I hope you know about MÄRKLIN 3 rail system from the early 50th ? MÄRKLIN rails were very simple to fit with HORNBY rails - and production changed to "pukos" point rails in 1953 regarding the connectibility between both.
So you must n`t change to Trix.
Getting a homogene Layout - look at ebay f.e.:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/A...&hash=item3a6d23e54a

getting pdf.catalogs from the 30th, 40th, 50th ... until today?
http://www.lctm.info/Bib...alogos/Marklin/index.php

greetings Marcus

MÄRKLIN ANALOG H0
Offline NS1200  
#25 Posted : 03 May 2012 18:10:52(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Thanks Marcus.

I think the Trix Express rails have a charm of their own.
The boxes with rails i purchased from a German Ebay seller seem to come from the mid fifties,and still connect without problem.
Trix Express issued some nice models over the years,including a model of the Dutch 'Hondekop' multiple passenger unit,hondekop meaning 'dogs head'.
I also saw a nice Trix Express trainset with a BR01 and 3 passenger coaches.

Best regards,
Paul.