Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline elig99  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2012 10:10:48(UTC)
elig99

Israel   
I have the complete S+E+T1,2,3 set which Marklin have been marketing in the 70's, along with two transformers (the original 37540 and 6631).
Recently when I reassembled it for my grandson, the locomotive tends to run some distance, then stall. A soft push, or a reversal of the transformer switch, makes him run a bit more.
The set has been stored for several decades in a proper clean and protected storage, and the problem is disappointing; can something be done to fix it?
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2012 10:14:26(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi elig99,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2012 10:27:26(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: elig99 Go to Quoted Post
I have the complete S+E+T1,2,3 set which Marklin have been marketing in the 70's, along with two transformers (the original 37540 and 6631).
Recently when I reassembled it for my grandson, the locomotive tends to run some distance, then stall. A soft push, or a reversal of the transformer switch, makes him run a bit more.
The set has been stored for several decades in a proper clean and protected storage, and the problem is disappointing; can something be done to fix it?

Make sure the rails are clean, give the locos a light oiling. that may help
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2012 10:34:54(UTC)
H0

Hi, and welcome to this forum.
The set has been stored for several decades in a proper clean and protected storage
Humidity of 65 % or more can lead to a rusty centre rail and outer rails.

A few rounds at full speed could be enough to clean the centre rail.

If the outer rails are rusty, clean them (no sandpaper, use cloth and alcohol (e.g. isopropanol)).

I hope your locos are old enough and hardened oil is no problem (locos of the '80s and '90s often have problems with hardened oil in the motor).

My stuff from the '70s worked fine - except for the rusty rails.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline hxmiesa  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2012 09:14:14(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
What you´ve got is the "good stuff" from Märklin (IMHO -of course).
Almost CERTAINLY you can make it work flawlessly, as the quality and mechanical engineering allows for a thorough repair and service in your own house.
New sliders (=power pickup-skis) traction-tires, motor-brushes/coals and reverse-unit springs can all be aquiered from Märklin spare-parts service.
Also, you must definatly pay attention to the all the advices from Tom ("H0").

But if you have rust on your rails you may have a problem though. Apart from NOT using any abrasives, you can use a wooden block to clean the rails, and maybe protect them with some WD-40 or similar (although this can have other adverse effects!) if the rust-attack is VERY strong.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline elig99  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2013 21:12:24(UTC)
elig99

Israel   
Update:
It just required cleaning the center rail and connectors on both sides of each rail piece with alcohol.
All locomotives are running now nonstop, except one red shunting loco which died on me and I've written him off.
Thanks to all of you guys for your help.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by elig99
Offline cookee_nz  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2013 21:25:11(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Update:
It just required cleaning the center rail and connectors on both sides of each rail piece with alcohol.
All locomotives are running now nonstop, except one red shunting loco which died on me and I've written him off.
Thanks to all of you guys for your help.

Written off, WRITTEN OFF???? !!!!

Sacrilege. Go wash your mouth out.

The only times I can think a 'write-off' to be valid would be if something was dropped and obviously damaged beyond repair, (broken body or frame), or if the required parts clearly exceed the value of the item.

Being a 'red shunter', I'm assuming either a small DHG style Diesel or similar?

Why not pop up a photo so we can identify just in case it's something worth some effort?

Really, for it to 'die', there can only be a few reasons.

1: Most minor would be a sticking reverse unit, or sticking motor brushes

2: Slightly more work would be a broken wire, should be obvious

3: Most work would be burnt-out armature or field winding

The fact it 'died', indicates it was running initially. Really unusual for either armature or magnet windings to simply burn out, other than prolonged overheating.

Have you done any trouble-shooting?, do you have the service manual? (download here)

I guess if worst comes to worst it would still make a static display.

Cheers
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline elig99  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2013 21:46:19(UTC)
elig99

Israel   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Update:

Why not pop up a photo so we can identify just in case it's something worth some effort?

R

Oops, sorry… didn't realize this was blasphemy :)
Actually I have just noticed that ftp.marklin.com site has a service manual in its public directory and I am in the middle of a tedious saving process of each individual jpg file.
(tried to access the site from a DOS ftp command line so I could get all files at one shot, but login failed due to wrong user/password data. Any help here?)
I also started downloading the stuff from your link; lots of reading to do this coming weekend…

Here is a picture of my locomotive. It is part number 3001. Thanks!!
elig99 attached the following image(s):
3001 loco.jpg
Offline BrandonVA  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2013 21:51:09(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hello,

You do not have to download every page, you can download a scan of the publication as a PDF here (titled service manual):

http://www.lctm.info/Biblioteca/Libros/index.htm

Hope you get it running!

-Brandon
Offline petestra  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2013 21:55:24(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Great classic Lok you have there. These Loks will last "forever", as long as you give them tender
Wub care. That is a little oil and if run a-lot watch the brushes too.

Have fun! PeterThumpUp Smile
Offline abisel  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2013 22:11:09(UTC)
abisel

United States   
I'll give you $50.00 for the 3001 if you decide to give up on it.

Just kidding.

You will find all kinds of help from the people on this forum.

Welcome and enjoy.
Offline franciscohg  
#12 Posted : 31 January 2013 22:15:00(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
welcome to the Forum, blasphem! :)
those old marklin are harder to die than Bruce Willis.
just check the manuals, understand how they work, and you could get it running with no much effort I think for the good shape that she looks.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 01 February 2013 00:48:36(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Update:

R

Oops, sorry… didn't realize this was blasphemy :)
Actually I have just noticed that ftp.marklin.com site has a service manual in its public directory and I am in the middle of a tedious saving process of each individual jpg file.
(tried to access the site from a DOS ftp command line so I could get all files at one shot, but login failed due to wrong user/password data. Any help here?)
I also started downloading the stuff from your link; lots of reading to do this coming weekend…

Here is a picture of my locomotive. It is part number 3001. Thanks!!

"Red"??? - looks pretty green to me, presume you were referring to the image on the box Laugh

Ok, those are an awesome loco, very popular, and quite collectible, I have a couple myself and love them.

Are you aware that there is a small switch on the side to select pickup shoe or overhead?

I'm just wondering if you may have inadvertantly pushed it into the up position for overhead while handling it (very easy to do)

Worth checking because that will stop it in its tracks for sure.

PS - it looks in very good condition - very common for those to have the paint start peeling off the body, I think there was a fault during painting where they did not prep the plastic body properly first but be aware of this, try to avoid too much handling around the paint work. Can I suggest an old soft cloth or a cotton hanky, something like that placed into the box and lift the loco out by lifting the cloth - that will avoid handling the body too much and also makes them easier to get out of some boxes. Yours is either all cardboard, or 'may' have a polystyrene insert, I think cardboard to be more likely.

I only just (last week) sold one of those to our club, and took the time to scan the original leaflet for it hence the attached page at my fingertips. I was very reluctant to sell it but I'm on a tight budget and could only keep a few of the things from a recent purchase, and as I already have a couple of 3001's this one had to go. So I'm loving yours by proxy!!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by user 01 February 2013 18:45:37(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
3001-p05b.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline elig99  
#14 Posted : 01 February 2013 08:53:34(UTC)
elig99

Israel   
Hello Steve,
You guessed correctly regarding the position of the pickup shoe/catenary switch, but that was just the beginning of the problem.
After having removed the plastic cover I discovered that lever and switched it back to the down position. At this stage the loco stopped acting 100% dead and instead stood still and hummed.
Couldn't tell what was wrong by examining the loco visually. Following an instinct I pushed forcefully the loco forward while pressing it down to the tracks to assure that the mechanism starts revolving. After a few pushes the loco started running smoothly, lights glowing and everything. Very rarely will it stop and hum again and then I will give it a taste of the same medicine. But this happens very rarely indeed.

Thanks for the diagram. What is the other lever for – the one on the right?
I am wondering whether I should/could lubricate the wheels as shown in the diagram. All I have is a WD-40 spray can, with a thin plastic nozzle attached.
And yes, my 3001 is red!!! The attached "photo" is actually a picture I have downloaded from the net. But the box in the picture looks exactly like my box. and the condition of my 3001 is just as depicted by the black/greenish locomotive.
Regards, Eli
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 01 February 2013 10:31:08(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hello Steve,
You guessed correctly regarding the position of the pickup shoe/catenary switch, but that was just the beginning of the problem.
After having removed the plastic cover I discovered that lever and switched it back to the down position. At this stage the loco stopped acting 100% dead and instead stood still and hummed.
Couldn't tell what was wrong by examining the loco visually. Following an instinct I pushed forcefully the loco forward while pressing it down to the tracks to assure that the mechanism starts revolving. After a few pushes the loco started running smoothly, lights glowing and everything. Very rarely will it stop and hum again and then I will give it a taste of the same medicine. But this happens very rarely indeed.

Thanks for the diagram. What is the other lever for – the one on the right?
I am wondering whether I should/could lubricate the wheels as shown in the diagram. All I have is a WD-40 spray can, with a thin plastic nozzle attached.
And yes, my 3001 is red!!! The attached "photo" is actually a picture I have downloaded from the net. But the box in the picture looks exactly like my box. and the condition of my 3001 is just as depicted by the black/greenish locomotive.
Regards, Eli

Hi Eli,

Ok, well glad you made some progress. The other lever if you read the text on that page (now hi-lited), is the manual reversing lever. You don't need to remove the body to operate either of them.

The random stopping and humming may suggest a reverse unit out of adjustment and to check that properly, you do want the body removed so you can observe it in operation.

Once you have the service manaual downloaded, the adjustment procedure and how to check is explained very well in that publication.

It does sound however as if lubrication would also be very adviseable, but I strongly suggest NOT WD40. It's fine for what it's designed for, but not really for lubing your loco.

Assuming you have a car, in the mid-late 60's, Märklin suggested lubricating with normal everyday winter-grade motor car engine oil and is what would have been in the oil bottle 7199.

If you change the oil in your own car, and use a good quality oil, the fews drops left in a container after topping up your car would probably do for your loco's for years BigGrin - you only need the smallest drop.

Failing that, Sewing machine oil is also good, you are bound to have a sewing shop not too far away?, or, failing that...., a hardware store and you want a medium grade general machine oil, even 3-in-1 is better than nothing, but nothing is better than WD-40!

Just keep a note of what oil you use, it may not be a good idea to mix organic and synthetic oils but I'm no expert in this area.

Finally, the 3001 in Red is more rare than the Green one, and quite sought-after. There's also a Brown version, numbered 3002, and number 3002 was also used for a Primex version in the 80's.

Good luck

Steve

Edited by user 01 February 2013 18:47:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image