Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline prc  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2005 02:54:59(UTC)
prc

I am new to the Marklin digital world. I got my first set for Xmass this year, the 29821 set. I loved the sounds from the BR 50 for th efirst 3 days and then all sound functions quit working. I am waiting to get the engine back from the dealer (he sent it out to get repaired). I just go the BR 53 steam engine yesterday (37022) and am very impressed in the detail and design. The steam engine sound effects are not what I expected. The BR 50 has the "chuffing" sound and blowing off steam sounds, but the BR 53 does not have that sound at all, it almost sound more like a diesel engine. Does anyone know if this is normal for the BR 53 or is it possible the decoder is not working correctly?

Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2005 03:02:01(UTC)
Webmaster

I believe the BR50 has an ESU decoder onboard, while the BR53 has the "good old Märklin sound" which indeed reminds you of a tug/fishing boat diesel when run at higher speeds...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline prc  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2005 05:35:50(UTC)
prc

Thanks for th ereply. Being new to marklin digital, I made sure I got an MFX engine since I thought this was the based on the most recent decoders for the MS and CS. There are a total of 16 functions (need the CS for the last 8) This is the description from the Marklin USA site.

Model: With digital decoder, controlled high-efficiency propulsion, mechanism for colling fans in the tender, and sound effects generator with many functions. 2 #7226 smoke generators can be retrofitted. Headlight, smoke generator contact and fan coller wheels in conventional operation. These functions, speed-dependent steam locomotive sound effects, as well as acceleration and braking delay can be digitally controlled with the 6021 Control Unit. Additional operating sound effects can be digitally controlled with the 60652 Mobile Station and with the 60212 Central Station.

Is it possible that it will stll have the "good old Marklin sound"?

Thanks.
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline laalves  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2005 06:51:37(UTC)
laalves

No. That's an mfx decoder. The thing is that they must have recorded, or imitated a BR52K, since that was really the only german with a kondenstender, particularly given the fact that a BR53 Mallet such as Märklin's, never got out of the paper.

Anyway, the lack of chuffing sound must be due to the fact that those loks did not chuff at all. The steam was not vented to the atmosphere, after being used in the cylinders, rather it was routed to the special condensing tender, condensed back into water and reused.

So: no chuffing! Chuffing is waste, kondenstenderlokomotiven = recicling!

Luis
Offline john black  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2005 16:54:24(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by prc
<br />... loved the sounds from the BR 50 for the first 3 days and then all sound functions quit working

Hi Paul, welcome to The Forum Smile. BTW, you're not alone. M has serious trouble with her new BR50 - just look at the topic in this forum. Some dealers have to send back ALL of their 50s ... [xx(]

Best Regards
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline prc  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2005 20:26:39(UTC)
prc

Thanks for the clarification Luis. It would be nice if Marklin would include a short informative write-up on both historical and operational background of the engine for people like me who are just getting started with model railroads.

Paul
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline prc  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2005 20:30:41(UTC)
prc

Hi Paul, welcome to The Forum Smile. BTW, you're not alone. M has serious trouble with her new BR50 - just look at the topic in this forum. Some dealers have to send back ALL of their 50s ... [xx(]

Best Regards
John

Thanks John, hopefully when I get it repaired it will be really fixed and not fail again in a few days.

Paul
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline john black  
#8 Posted : 10 January 2005 10:32:22(UTC)
john black

United States   
Paul: Once repaired it should last forever since M produces top quality, generally Smile

John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline prc  
#9 Posted : 12 May 2005 07:27:36(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by john black
<br />Paul: Once repaired it should last forever since M produces top quality, generally Smile

John

Well I am still waiting for it to be repaired. I have been told that M* does not have a fix for the decoder yet. I have gotten this from two different dealers here in the states.
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline Munich 1860  
#10 Posted : 12 May 2005 13:58:52(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
What you are telling us is that it has not been repaired within FOUR months ????

This is amazing and I am sorry for you about this !!

Johann
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline prc  
#11 Posted : 12 May 2005 14:04:36(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Munich 1860
<br />What you are telling us is that it has not been repaired within FOUR months ????

This is amazing and I am sorry for you about this !!

Johann

Yes, with no word as to when a replacement decoder would be available.
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline Munich 1860  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2005 14:09:17(UTC)
Munich 1860

Germany   
Get your dealer going, this is not normal. Do you get interest rates on the money you have paid to him and to Märklin a long time ago for something you will be able to use in say late October ??
I like M-track and my things that run on it were built between 1959 and 1972.
Offline prc  
#13 Posted : 12 May 2005 14:35:52(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Munich 1860
<br />Get your dealer going, this is not normal. Do you get interest rates on the money you have paid to him and to Märklin a long time ago for something you will be able to use in say late October ??

That is why I went to a second dealer that I buy from. His reply is below:

"Hi Paul

This is starting to become a real embarrassment for Märklin. I have the same locomotives with the same complaint from at least three customers sent to Märklin in December, still haven't received them back. From what I read, your dealer had not sent the loc to Märklin, right? Anyway, when I call, they tell me that they are waiting for new decoders. It appears that the decoders in these locs had structural problems that they are trying to solve.
On the same subject, we have not been able to get the starter sets 29821 either since December. I had two customers waiting for it, one just told me to send him back the money that he had deposited because he doesn't believe it will come any more. After we were given March, then April, Märklin now tells us that delivery will not be before June.

I am afraid that there is little I or you can do to speed this up."

I know others on this forum had the same problem, has anyone gotten their decoder fixed?

Thanks[:(][:(][:(]
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA