Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hellwigm  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2012 13:42:04(UTC)
hellwigm

Hello from Germany,

- previsioning a HORNBY-MÄRKLIN project - some of you can give me information how to run HORNBY locos on MÄRKLIN rails?

greetings to all - MÄRKLIN ANALOG H0

Marcus
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2012 09:37:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: hellwigm Go to Quoted Post
Hello from Germany,

- previsioning a HORNBY-MÄRKLIN project - some of you can give me information how to run HORNBY locos on MÄRKLIN rails?

greetings to all - MÄRKLIN ANALOG H0

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

You are talking about the original Hornby Dublo 3 rail? I run both Marklin, and Hornby Dublo 3 rail (let's call it HD) on separate layouts.

There are 2 distinct issues here.

1. Track compatibility.

2. Electrical power and voltage, and control.

Regards 1:
(a) You can certainly use original Hornby Dublo (HD) track to run Marklin engines and rolling stock. However you would need to test the overall compatibility at turnouts and crossings, because of slightly different wheel profiles.

(b) you would need to modify Hornby Dublo (HD) engines to run on Marklin M, C or K track that uses the centre puko system. There is an earlier M track with solid third rail, that would be OK. This is because HD locos have a different centre pick-up design - basically a sprung flap (spoon), which is not long enough to work over pukos successfully. Though I have never tested this, I reason that this is so.

Regards 2:
Whatever you get from the above answers, you certainly have to be aware that HD locos are strictly 12 volt DC analogue. They do not use the same AC 18 volt system that is used for Marklin analogue. Therefore, you cannot use a Marklin controller/transformer for HD. You cannot use a HD transformer/controller for Marklin.

I hope this helps.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 03 March 2012 22:22:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2012 10:18:58(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hornby are DC 12 volt motor, Marklin motor was 16 AC volt.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline hellwigm  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2012 21:27:25(UTC)
hellwigm

Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2012 22:21:52(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Marcus,

Well done.

I am not familiar with Marklin analogue locomotives, so I guess you are using:
1. a relay to switch polarity, and
2. a rectifier to convert AC to DC.

Anyway, that is certainly a worthwhile project if you have the 3 rail Marklin track.

I have the original HD 3 rail track. All of my HD has been purchased 2nd hand, it is surprisingly robust, and runs well.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline hellwigm  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2012 10:26:12(UTC)
hellwigm

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Marcus,

Well done.

I am not familiar with Marklin analogue locomotives, so I guess you are using:
1. a relay to switch polarity, and
2. a rectifier to convert AC to DC.

Anyway, that is certainly a worthwhile project if you have the 3 rail Marklin track.

I have the original HD 3 rail track. All of my HD has been purchased 2nd hand, it is surprisingly robust, and runs well.

regards
Kimball[/quote

Hi Kimball,

yes you are right.... I used a MÄRKLIN TEE relay to switch polarity and a 4-diods rectifier.
I met also an electric isolation onto the nonisolatet brushholder, you can see that on the pics.

I bought triang orientexpress coaches so that I got now the completion of the needed stock for my OrientExpressProjekt - having the Duchess coming from Montrose, Scotland to Dover, England - passing THE CHANNEL docking in a german harbour. Wiht that my grandson will learn english on a very easy way.

grtgs Marcus

Offline drstapes  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2012 23:06:59(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Thinking back nearly 50 years when I had the old Hornby 00 3 rail trains. When I converted to Marklin, the old blue marklin transformer would propel the hornby engines quite spectactually. Hornby was made to to run at 12 volts so the marklin transformer at 16 volts gave impressive world breaking speeds. Of course the marklin reverser would not work,but if you forgot this the 24 volt jolt was enough to send the hornby engine spacewards

Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline hellwigm  
#8 Posted : 08 March 2012 16:41:47(UTC)
hellwigm

Originally Posted by: drstapes Go to Quoted Post
Thinking back nearly 50 years when I had the old Hornby 00 3 rail trains. When I converted to Marklin, the old blue marklin transformer would propel the hornby engines quite spectactually. Hornby was made to to run at 12 volts so the marklin transformer at 16 volts gave impressive world breaking speeds. Of course the marklin reverser would not work,but if you forgot this the 24 volt jolt was enough to send the hornby engine spacewards

Yes that's true - but!

- you may supress the 24 V shock pushing the jolt.

One can do this by reducing the tension of the MÄRKLIN's relais-spring a little bit.
The loco will stop authomatically before damaging the rotor or shooting DUCHESS to heaven.

gtgs Marcus
Offline drstapes  
#9 Posted : 10 March 2012 00:30:16(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Re the track.
As has been said to run hornby on Marklin track you would need to use the old solid 3 rail track not the stud system,due to the design of the Hornby pickup. marklin stock would run quite happily on the ordinary hornby 3 rail track of starights and curves,and in the early days I used up my hornby track extending my layout. The points were another matter as they caused so many derailments as to be not worth using.
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline hellwigm  
#10 Posted : 12 March 2012 13:38:57(UTC)
hellwigm

Re the track.
As has been said to run hornby on Marklin track you would need to use the old solid 3 rail track not the stud system,due to the design of the Hornby pickup. marklin stock would run quite happily on the ordinary hornby 3 rail track of starights and curves,and in the early days I used up my hornby track extending my layout. The points were another matter as they caused so many derailments as to be not worth using.

... here you have a documentation how to run old HORNBY onto old MÄRKLIN ANALOG H0 tracks - greetings Marcus

http://alte-modellbahnen...-MaeRKLIN.html#msg172433
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2012 02:08:28(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Re the track.

Hi Geoff,
Marcus modified the Hornby to the Marklin style slider pick-up, so he can use it on the same track as his Marklin stock.
He also modified the loco with a relay reverser, and diode.

regards
Kimball

Offline hellwigm  
#12 Posted : 03 April 2012 22:11:36(UTC)
hellwigm

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Re the track.

Hi Geoff,
Marcus modified the Hornby to the Marklin style slider pick-up, so he can use it on the same track as his Marklin stock.
He also modified the loco with a relay reverser, and diode.

regards
Kimball

Good evening to all...
and thank you Kimball for the explanation-support to Geoff, Hi Geoff!

the HORNBY - MÄRKLIN story he is to be continued. See some pics of DUCHESS of MONTROSE meets ORIENTEXPRESS pulled by SIR NIGEL GRESLEY:
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-a-d3d9.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-b-6512.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-c-c20a.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-d-c51c.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-e-aab3.jpg
http://www.bilder-hochla...iles/big/jdq5-f-9bf3.jpg

greetings HORNBY ANALOG H0 on MÄRKLIN ANALOG H0
Offline Ian555  
#13 Posted : 12 December 2012 18:39:26(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Thanks for the information on HD Loco's.

Ian.