Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 65kombi  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2012 04:39:35(UTC)
65kombi

Canada   
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum and digital world of railroading; have been enjoying collecting and running Marklin analog for about 45 years and now that my son has taken up the hobby, I've been catapulted into the 21st century and what a ride!
We recently aquired a 37024 (Snow-camoflaged '53'); a lovely engine except for one problem: Everything worked fine until we installed the second smoke generator (Seuthe#10--pink 'digital bottom'), now the engine stops working within a few seconds of switching on the smoke and will not move/make sounds/lights flicker until the smoke is switched off; it was working fine with just the one smoke gen. I heard that Marklin had delayed introducing this model for 'undisclosed' reasons; I seem to have a 'pre-release' copy, bought from an authorized dealer who attended the conference in Germany where this model was introduced to the dealers. Any thoughts would be well appreciated. Cheers and all the best for 2012!
JD
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2012 07:14:51(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
JD,

Welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year.

When you say, you've installed the 2nd smoke generator, did you just insert it from the top or did you take the loco apart ?
Anyhow what could have happend, your smoke generator tongue contact is in contakt with the chassis (earth) and this is the result: short
I would take the boiler off, a screw hidden on top of the boiler and 2 screws underneath the loco near the front bogy.
look at the position of the tongue and move it upwards away from any possible chassis contact and also compare both contacts and their angle and position.

Before putting the boiler back on again get a spare bulp and see if the smoke function works, 1 connector smoke generator tongue the other connector chassis.

When you put the boiler back on make sure both the tongues slide into the opening without bending them again.

I hope this helps and good luck

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2012 08:09:47(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi JD,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline NZMarklinist  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2012 09:23:41(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hello JD,
Welcome to the forum from NZ. I had a similar problem to you, with my 39011 BR'01,and it was as John describes.
It actually fried the aux1 output of the decoder.Crying Fortunately I had a list member and friend (drwhittle) who devised a work around so I could keep the same decoder and factory sounds.BigGrin So don't persist until you check inside !ThumpUp

edit; He also made sure that the smoke unit contact could not touch the body again with a simple piece of strong masking tape
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline 65kombi  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2012 21:21:07(UTC)
65kombi

Canada   
Thanks for all the quick replies and very usefull information; it would seem that indeed the second smoke generator power prong was touching the body of the loc.
A quick 'heads-up' to anyone experiencing similar (grounding/short-circuiting) situations, don't do what I did: as the loc kept stopping (the mobile 1 station would keep going into 'stop' mode) I assumed that there was something wrong with that station so I unplugged it and tried another station, which promptly gave up the ghost. I had some earlier issues with feedback from an analog loop on my layout which took out my initial mobile station and now had three unserviceable mobile stations. Having fixed the shorting smoke-box on my 37024, I tested it on my analog layout and after having sayisfied myself that all was well, went out and bought the mobile2 station which is working fine (except for my mfx locs having issues being recognised)

I'm somewhat embarrassed by all this, but thought I'd post my experience hoping that this might save others some hassles (and expense) in learning from my mistakes.

This digital world is turning out to be quite a learning curve, but I'm loving the experience!

JD
Canada
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2012 21:39:27(UTC)
Webmaster

JD, good to see that the smoke seems to work again... And welcome to the forum too...

We manage to solve most questions, issues and problems here due to the collective knowledge of our dear members.
Don't hesitate to ask more, someone will hopefully know an answer to your question... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline RUBEN SPAIN  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2012 22:08:28(UTC)
RUBEN SPAIN

Spain   
Hi everyone.

I experiencied the same problem with the Märklin 37993 Big Boy. The problem is only that electric current when you turn on two Seuthe 10 is too big for the decoder output. If you want to install two smoke generators then use Seuthe 11.