Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2012 18:38:38(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello everyone,

There has been a lot of discussion in the Marklin community about Hermann Goring (the commander of the Luftwaffe in WWII) and his model railways. These past few months I have compiled a significant amount of research to add to the discussion and the article can be found on my website:

http://marklinstop.com/2...rings-miniature-railway/

This article should especially be interesting for collectors of O and I Gauge Marklin. My interest in the topic was reignited when a visitor to my website sent me this photo, supposedly one of Goring's trains with an interesting provenance:

UserPostedImage

The story states that the train was given by Goring to a Nazi commander who then, when captured, gave it to an American soldier who eventually brought it back home to the states.

Enjoy!

Paul
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2012 19:16:58(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
I thought is was Trix,....

Dr D
Offline Loadmaster  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2012 19:59:28(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Hi Paul,

How about a presentation at EuroWest next July on what additional information you learn about this item.

Rob
ETE So Cal
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline Caralain  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2012 20:28:04(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Hello:

Is it serious? Who gives a s.... of what Hermann Goering was collecting? Among his feasts, he is indeed known to have been a collector, but not of Marklin or Trix trains. Do you know he looted with his fellows Nazis most of the main European art museums during WWII? Some of those art pieces are still missing nowadays.

Maybe it is worth to remember who he was: a horrific Nazi war criminal who was condemned to death in 1946 in the famous Nuremberg trial. He was so courageous that he committed suicide hours before being hanged. The judgement stated that "There is nothing to be said in mitigation. For Göring was often, indeed almost always, the moving force, second only to his leader. He was the leading war aggressor, both as political and as military leader; he was the director of the slave labour programme and the creator of the oppressive programme against the Jews and other races, at home and abroad. All of these crimes he has frankly admitted. On some specific cases there may be conflict of testimony, but in terms of the broad outline, his own admissions are more than sufficiently wide to be conclusive of his guilt. His guilt is unique in its enormity. The record discloses no excuses for this man." (Quoted from Wikipedia"

Maybe it is worth also to remember that his nickname was "Das Schwein" (the pig). He lived so well during the war that he weighted almost 280 pounds when he surrendered himself to US soldiers on May 9, 1945.

Really! in 2012! Please have some respect for the innumerable innocent victims of this BOUTCHER.

Pierre
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2012 20:45:51(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Excellent Pierre! Well said and remember all "NEVER FORGET"! PeterCrying
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2012 21:33:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
By that reasoning Pierre, Marklin is also guilty of war crimes because they manufactured war materials including detonators for land mines that were used to kill Allied servicemen and civilians!

I don't think anyone denies that Goering was a Nazi who was responsible for the deaths of millions, but that is not what Paul is focusing on.

The article is about the trains and layouts of someone who, unfortunately, was a war monger. But I don't think we should sweep the stories under the carpet and forget that it happened. This story is part of the history of Marklin, that cannot be denied.

No one is trying to glorify what Goering was or did. Please, let's keep the politics out of this thread.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2012 21:41:52(UTC)
Webmaster

History is history and cannot be changed, but we can study it and learn from it.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Yumgui  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2012 22:21:09(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Collecting, whatever the objects, can be the pastime of war criminals too ... but I assume these collectors remain forever a minority. Doesn't imho put into question the objects themselves, nor any collective desire to collect them. What is very scary is that this very real "butcher" may have collected humans as he did trains ... Scared

Also, from what I've read, Märklin produced wartime stuff only grudgingly ... maybe that is a spin on history, but I dunno enough to pronounce any opinion on this subject, and will certainly follow this topic with interest on http://marklinstop.com ...

However, can't throw these two issues into one topic, as they are vast subjects each on their own ... and certainly not within the framework of this forum format ...

So, yeah, in meantime I agree with "never forget" ^^ !

Yum Glare
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline GG1 Fan  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2012 22:21:32(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Goring was a first class looter.

He loved all sorts of fine things: Art, sculpture, food, brandy, drugs, etc. The guy had his own band of 'professional' looters scouring Europe for all things not nailed down.

Not surprised that he liked Marklin. Some of the finest things that Germany produces, world class all the way.

Warning Political:
We all know the sad history of Germany in the early-mid part of the 20th Century, and the Dark things that were done. They got pounded in WWII, while at the same time, stopping Stalin and the Reds from overrunning all of Europe. But, in the last 50 years, Germany has to apologize for NOTHING; they have been the world leader in positive treatment of refugees and in aid to other nations.
Offline GG1 Fan  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2012 23:03:26(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Slightly off topic but since Nazis were mentioned:

Video moved as per request below.

Edited by user 03 January 2012 02:46:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2012 23:10:01(UTC)
Webmaster

Maybe we should separate a model train received by an american soldier from general WW2 real trains, ok?

The video should go as an entry in the "prototype" section...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Caralain  
#12 Posted : 03 January 2012 00:04:12(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
By that reasoning Pierre, Marklin is also guilty of war crimes because they manufactured war materials including detonators for land mines that were used to kill Allied servicemen and civilians!

I don't think anyone denies that Goering was a Nazi who was responsible for the deaths of millions, but that is not what Paul is focusing on.

The article is about the trains and layouts of someone who, unfortunately, was a war monger. But I don't think we should sweep the stories under the carpet and forget that it happened. This story is part of the history of Marklin, that cannot be denied.

No one is trying to glorify what Goering was or did. Please, let's keep the politics out of this thread.

Hi David:

I don't agree. How can you keep politics out of this subject? It's not even politics, it is history. Unfortunately there is resurgence of Nazism for a few years now. How can you explain explain the glorification of the Wehrmacht or the Luftwaffe we see lately even in toys? Some subjects should be taboo, and everything related to Nazism must be.

Marklin has released not long ago a set #37955 (Fuehrersonderzug: Hitler special train) and I have personally a lot of difficulty accepting that a German factory build a train of the 3rd Reich. Even though I like this train a lot, I will never buy it because of the history behind it.

Even in the land of the frees, there is now Nazi groups. One of their leaders was killed recently by his own son! It's not a question of nationality, but of beliefs. Moreover try to ask the young generation about WWII. Maybe they will have heard of Hitler, but probably not of Goering, Goebbels, Himmler, Mengele, etc...So I don't think it's innocent and of no consequence of being interested in the toys of a murderer.

Nazism and other similar ideologies must be fought at all cost. I will never accept this kind of argument saying: why bother, it's just a toy. It's exactly what the Nazi propaganda did: minimize some elements to hide what was really at stake.

Pierre
Offline kbvrod  
#13 Posted : 03 January 2012 00:11:51(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
>I don't agree. How can you keep politics out of this subject?<

Nothing mentioned in the original post about any of that,...Blink

This about MRR trains,....egad!Glare

Back around,I'll say those are Trix 3-rail DC trains,....

Dr D

Offline Webmaster  
#14 Posted : 03 January 2012 00:25:07(UTC)
Webmaster

@Pierre - Model trains are model trains. Times are times. History is history. Atrocities are atrocities, which still happen today. Politics are politics, which vary with time.
This is a model train forum. The rest is best discussed elsewhere.

@Kevin - I have also thought the guy had Trix all the time, but that historic M croc in one of the pics in the article says otherwise...
Offline drstapes  
#15 Posted : 03 January 2012 00:25:46(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
Never discuss Politics or Religion,Isn't that what they say? and reading these posts you can see why.
Still I think one can discuss Marklin during WW2 without getting to bogged down in Personalities,after all it is still the history of Marklin,good or bad.

Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drstapes
Offline sebastian  
#16 Posted : 03 January 2012 01:00:08(UTC)
sebastian

Canada   
Pierre,
The OP, Paul, never intended this a political thing. It was meant as an informative/interesting piece in the history of Marklin, which happens to be the main subject of this forum/thread. Just because some idiot liked what Marklin was manufacturing, doesn't mean fascism/nazism or anything related to it is promoted here. YOU have derailed (or at least tried to do so) the whole thread into a political mess and you should be ashamed of yourself. Better enjoy the hobby and leave the politics outside of this forum, like Juhan had suggested.
Paul,
Back to the original discussion: I did not know Marklin/Trix posed an interest to Goering. Your research is quite detailed and I have read it with great interest. Thank you.
DRG, DB and SBB
Era II, III and IV
Sincerely,
Sebastian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sebastian
#17 Posted : 03 January 2012 01:46:31(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for your comments. I am happy to hear the article was enriching and interesting for some and perhaps irrelevant for others. Like others, I don't want to talk about the problems of society or argue about historical occurrences, believe me I did enough of that by reading through thousands of pages of WWII history and Goring's biographies to research for this article. I thought the article would be an interesting read for train enthusiasts regardless of their opinions of Goring, the war, society today, etc. There is a time and a place to look at history for moral / societal value, but it is not here. We are here to discuss trains and the history behind them. Thank you to all who understand this.

Indeed Goring also collected and operated Trix trains but not as much as he did with Marklin. He also only smaller scale Trix trains (similar to 00 scale). I decided to leave this out of the article because my knowledge is very limited of Trix and I wanted to be sure my reporting is accurate.

From the book Goering's Reich, by Knopf and Martens we also have this excerpt:

"...to which was added the 240 square meters play cellar, in which was a second enormous model railway layout. This exceeded the first layout in the attic of the restaurant wing in its technical finesse by far. On the new railway track, which resembled a miniature landscape with mountains, roads and houses, 40 electrical switches and signal lamps could be served by two transformers. A soldier, who was an apprentice electrical engineer in maintenance work, remembers; "At the beginning of December 1944 it several times at the morning call up [of the guard awake company] a technician was looked for. Thus a comrade and I became the Repair the Toy Railway Commando. A older civilian domestic led us into the cellar of the library wing side entrance. After a short explanation by him we were left with approximately ten to twelve days with our work alone. The model railway, really a master achievement, was built by the company Siemens & Halske. The layout was on a surface of approximately five by nine meters, had six track rings of different track widths, which could be operated at the same time. The energy supply was in this area and consisted of a 30kW-380Volt motor coupled to a continuou current generator for 12 volts. In the center of the layout was a large, arc-shaped command bridge with seating position as well as a panel with controllers, switches and keyboard. Underneath many small houses, stations there was a multiplicity of remote controlled switches, signals, level passages and turntables. Around on shelves on the walls masterful models stood in 1:20 scale of steam and electric locomotives, a fast car with two 2cm quad guns as well as a model of a 8,8-Flak."

Best regards,

Paul
Offline Roman  
#18 Posted : 03 January 2012 05:23:21(UTC)
Roman

United States   
I find it fascinating that a nut would have this side of him. Can you imagine the torment his mind had? Kill one day and then play with trains the next to escape. Bizarre. It's a toy train once owned by an infamous and long dead individual made by a company with "former" Nazi affiliation. Goering isn't alive and we're still opposed to Nazism to the best of my knowledge. I don't think anyone has set this train set up in honor of the Reich. I don't see a banner, arm bands, standards, or anything else, other than the train displayed, to glorify the devil. I have an East German flag in my closet. Folded up and stored as a keepsake from my visit to the former eastern zone when I was stationed in West Germany. It's a symbol of a past repressive government responsible for the disappearances and deaths of many people. What should I do? Burn it and all the clothes that have shared closet space with it, pretend it doesn't exist, avoid my closet? I have it because it's historical and I had played an ever small part, through the leadership of my Commander In Chief Ronald Reagan, in keeping the regime from further advancing. Owning an item that once belonged to any person of ill repute doesn't put you in their category unless you say it does. Good God, let the man show off a nice item that has been preserved well over these many years. It's a beautiful piece no matter who owned it. Place a piece of paper over your monitor to cover up this thread if it bothers you.
Offline Western Pacific  
#19 Posted : 03 January 2012 08:15:22(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Caralain Go to Quoted Post

Marklin has released not long ago a set #37955 (Fuehrersonderzug: Hitler special train) and I have personally a lot of difficulty accepting that a German factory build a train of the 3rd Reich. Even though I like this train a lot, I will never buy it because of the history behind it.

When looking up 37955 in Märklins database I find: "Set with 2 Steam Locomotives with Tenders. BR 003 + BR 03.10 DB"

To my knowledge Deutsche Bundesbahn was created in 1949. So I think you have got something wrong here. You've either got the article number wrong or the manufacturer. (I believe Liliput made a Führersonderzug, but I may recall this wrong).
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 03 January 2012 08:22:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Roman Go to Quoted Post
I find it fascinating that a nut would have this side of him. Can you imagine the torment his mind had? Kill one day and then play with trains the next to escape. Bizarre. It's a toy train once owned by an infamous and long dead individual made by a company with "former" Nazi affiliation. Goering isn't alive and we're still opposed to Nazism to the best of my knowledge. I don't think anyone has set this train set up in honor of the Reich. I don't see a banner, arm bands, standards, or anything else, other than the train displayed, to glorify the devil. I have an East German flag in my closet. Folded up and stored as a keepsake from my visit to the former eastern zone when I was stationed in West Germany. It's a symbol of a past repressive government responsible for the disappearances and deaths of many people. What should I do? Burn it and all the clothes that have shared closet space with it, pretend it doesn't exist, avoid my closet? I have it because it's historical and I had played an ever small part, through the leadership of my Commander In Chief Ronald Reagan, in keeping the regime from further advancing. Owning an item that once belonged to any person of ill repute doesn't put you in their category unless you say it does. Good God, let the man show off a nice item that has been preserved well over these many years. It's a beautiful piece no matter who owned it. Place a piece of paper over your monitor to cover up this thread if it bothers you.

I was reading through your article and came across the word "closet", I said to myself why would you have a flag rolled up in a toilet (water closet, deriving from India) what is defined as a lavatory in the English language.BigGrin

Our imagination in todays world, how people viewed other people in those days hasn't changed much today, we still have brutallity on our door step day after day and hopefully history will tell us what type of toys our war mongers played with and I don't think it was toy trains (nuclear weapons of mass destructions).

me personally, there are things in live which are more important than toys, its your health and we only can hope our body is preserved and looked after as some of the toys we cherrish so much.

it must be comfortable to live in a cocoon: through the leadership of my Commander In Chief Ronald Reagan, in keeping the regime from further advancing, politics is always a "one State affair" and a "one point of view".

Our State rejects light rail, they want more cars, does this mean we have a democratic regime prohibiting us from further advancement ?BigGrin

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline river6109  
#21 Posted : 03 January 2012 08:44:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Caralain Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Hi David:

I don't agree. How can you keep politics out of this subject? It's not even politics, it is history. Unfortunately there is resurgence of Nazism for a few years now. How can you explain explain the glorification of the Wehrmacht or the Luftwaffe we see lately even in toys? Some subjects should be taboo, and everything related to Nazism must be.

Even in the land of the frees, there is now Nazi groups. One of their leaders was killed recently by his own son! It's not a question of nationality, but of beliefs. Moreover try to ask the young generation about WWII. Maybe they will have heard of Hitler, but probably not of Goering, Goebbels, Himmler, Mengele, etc...So I don't think it's innocent and of no consequence of being interested in the toys of a murderer.

Nazism and other similar ideologies must be fought at all cost. I will never accept this kind of argument saying: why bother, it's just a toy. It's exactly what the Nazi propaganda did: minimize some elements to hide what was really at stake.

Pierre

I must say we have come along way since than, no knifes or forks on airoplanes or any other suspicious object.LOL and it isn't funny.
Please don't mention his favoured foodBigGrin
We always will have extreme groups and you have to look no further than your own back yard and people you've mentioned are living amongst us today, all it needs a sympathetic government to act upon and keep the world press out of it, like it never happened, hence the involvement of supplying funds and arms to opposition parties to oust a regime of bad taste and cruelty to obtain a better world for the advanced countries and their believers.

Wake up you purists, your shots are more lethal than the rest of the world can imagine, the only difference is every four years you can can vote for a change of directions, which way the shots are fired.BigGrin

In Faulty Tower, John Cleese said: don't mention the war.
Offline Roman  
#22 Posted : 03 January 2012 09:11:24(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Quote:
it must be comfortable to live in a cocoon: through the leadership of my Commander In Chief Ronald Reagan, in keeping the regime from further advancing, politics is always a "one State affair" and a "one point of view".
John

History speaks for itself. My job there was to figuratively keep the communists from advancing further into Europe. If you understand that as you understand the difference between closet, loo, john, and wc then you see my point and comment. I speak strictly for myself. If you find it offensive sorry about that. The subject refers to a toy train owned by Goering and my point is owning an item deemed offensive to some because more is read into it than meets the eye. It was not intended as a point of politics unless you read more than I intended. Perhaps more elaboration is required. When we toured the Eastern Zone as it was allowed at the time, I was the only one who got off the bus to take photos of the cemetery where thousands were buried in mass graves with the icon of Mother Russia towering over the mounds. I got back on the bus and folks thought I was paying homage to the regime. I just thought they weren't interested in site seeing. Buying that flag, when others were buying hats and egg cups from GUM put me on the sympathetic to communist ideals list with that tour group. I didn't give a rats tail. I bought a very E German relic but not the ideal behind it. Any other opinion of myself you can muster I'll gladly clarify as well.
Roman

Edited by moderator 03 January 2012 21:04:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline river6109  
#23 Posted : 03 January 2012 09:17:42(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Paul,
I like to thank you for sharing your report and having had a glimps into our past history of toy owners.
Offline river6109  
#24 Posted : 03 January 2012 09:20:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Roman Go to Quoted Post
John

History speaks for itself. My job there was to figuratively keep the communists from advancing further into Europe. If you understand that as you understand the difference between closet, loo, john, and wc then you see my point and comment. I speak strictly for myself. If you find it offensive sorry about that. The subject refers to a toy train owned by Goering and my point is owning an item deemed offensive to some because more is read into it than meets the eye. It was not intended as a point of politics unless you read more than I intended. Perhaps more elaboration is required. When we toured the Eastern Zone as it was allowed at the time, I was the only one who got off the bus to take photos of the cemetery where thousands were buried in mass graves with the icon of Mother Russia towering over the mounds. I got back on the bus and folks thought I was paying homage to the regime. I just thought they weren't interested in site seeing. Buying that flag, when others were buying hats and egg cups from GUM put me on the sympathetic to communist ideals list with that tour group. I didn't give a rats tail. I bought a very E German relic but not the ideal behind it. Any other opinion of myself you can muster I'll gladly clarify as well.
Roman

Roman,
You can say what you like, I did'nt find your post offensive, interesting or nourishing.

John

Edited by moderator 03 January 2012 21:05:46(UTC)  | Reason: fixed quotes /webmaster

Offline kariosls37  
#25 Posted : 03 January 2012 11:07:31(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post

... The model railway, really a master achievement, was built by the company Siemens & Halske.

An interesting point to note, Siemens & Halske was a major supplier of interlocking equipment of the real railways for a long time before that, not only in Germany, but also in Holland, and probably others too. It must have been a very impressive setup to see, regardless ot the owner.
Offline Roman  
#26 Posted : 03 January 2012 16:04:29(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Quote:
Roman,
You can say what you like, I did'nt find your post offensive, interesting or nourishing.

John

Since you picked my reply to decipher and expound upon I figured there must have been a reason. If you didn't have a real interest then you have another issue. We'll figure that out eventually. Thank you for your time to reply. Have a great day in your part of the world. Here it's sunny, cold as a rock in the arctic, and we're looking forward to meteor showers this evening. It'll be nice and clear.
Roman

Edited by moderator 03 January 2012 21:07:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Webmaster  
#27 Posted : 03 January 2012 21:18:29(UTC)
Webmaster

I find it interesting that Siemens & Halske built the layout... The most innovative electric company in the European business in those days...
Also shows that Herr G was not so much into model train layout construction, but rather a collector and operator. Presumably for show-off purposes...

<offtopic>
Herr G also lived in Sweden and worked as an airline pilot in the 20's. Here he met his big love Carin von Kantzow after whom the Carinhall estate is named. She died in 1931. Herr G was also imprisoned in Sweden in the 20's due to the attempted coup in Germany in 1923 led by AH. Herr G was an early member of the party, joined 1922. He was also in mental care in Sweden due to drug addiction. He had good contacts in Sweden, and was even awarded a medal in Sweden by the Swedish "NRA", the hunting society, months before the hell broke loose... Let's just say that Sweden was "neutral" during the war, but swayed with where the wind blew... Very German-friendly in the late 30's but when the war broke out, some doubts arose... This did not stop Swedish mining companies supplying iron ore to the German war effort, and the LKAB company has its own dark moment in history... The famous iron ore trains from Kiruna to Narvik ran also at that time...
</offtopic>
Offline petestra  
#28 Posted : 03 January 2012 22:27:27(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Juhan. That was really informative. I never knew those facts about Herr G. As
a retired Lufthansa employee I did know he took all of their planes for the war effort but I was surprised that Hitler kept him on after the RAF destroyed the Luftwaffe. I imagine it was out of some kind of twisted loyalty. Thanks for the info! Peter
Offline Soest  
#29 Posted : 03 January 2012 22:43:41(UTC)
Soest

Quote:
We all know the sad history of Germany in the early-mid part of the 20th Century, and the Dark things that were done. They got pounded in WWII, while at the same time, stopping Stalin and the Reds from overrunning all of Europe. But, in the last 50 years, Germany has to apologize for NOTHING; they have been the world leader in positive treatment of refugees and in aid to other nations.

Well said, GG1 Fan.

My interest in Marklin started, as with many others, when my father was serving with American, British and West German forces to prevent communism from engulfing western Europe. At that time the European Union was nascent. I get a kick out of travelling to Europe now and seeing the fruits of the NATO and European partnerships in bringing a better future to many people in the former Warsaw Pact countries. For me Marklin is a link to that incredibly successful partnership, one of the few times the West has really got things right.
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
Offline Webmaster  
#30 Posted : 03 January 2012 22:56:03(UTC)
Webmaster

Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
That was really informative. I never knew those facts about Herr G.

<offtopic>
It's all on Wikipedia too, in case you you are interested of the presumed owner of the train that this topic is about...
A multi-faceted and mostly deranged man who became a symbol of failure and ineptness regarding air combat strategy during WW2 even if he was the last supreme commander of the JG-1 "Richthofen" (Wellknown Ace in WW1) division at the end of WW1....
</offtopic>

But this topic is about the trains he played with, not the man himself...
Offline john black  
#31 Posted : 04 January 2012 00:22:27(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

Also shows that G was not so much into layout construction.

Guess what. Weighing in at 350 pounds this SOG been fat as Piggy Tongue
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline GG1 Fan  
#32 Posted : 04 January 2012 05:22:29(UTC)
GG1 Fan

John,
Correct. However, several months at Spandau Prison, eating the Spandau Diet, getting some excercise and going cold turkey on the drugs did wonders for his figure and skin tone. Until.....he left the building via a few pills.
Offline Webmaster  
#33 Posted : 04 January 2012 19:20:11(UTC)
Webmaster

Now we are off-topic - again!!!
#34 Posted : 04 January 2012 20:12:52(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Now we are off-topic - again!!!

Perhaps forum members should use "offtopic" tags in the future like you have done?

Hermann Goring was a Marklin fan <offtopic level="very">but was also a corpulent war criminal</offtopic>

Paul
Offline john black  
#35 Posted : 04 January 2012 23:44:26(UTC)
john black

United States   
Well ... uh ... I'm fully with GG-1 but for the sake of peace I'll keep my mouth welded shut, now TongueSneaky

Let's remember the Beatles - "All you need is Love Love Love"
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

#36 Posted : 05 January 2012 00:23:57(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: john black Go to Quoted Post
Well ... uh ... I'm fully with GG-1 but for the sake of peace I'll keep my mouth welded shut, now TongueSneaky

Let's remember the Beatles - "All you need is Love Love Love"

I definitely agree with both of you, no question about that!

Paul
Offline mrmarklin  
#37 Posted : 05 January 2012 05:04:02(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
AFAIK and I heard it from a very heavy collector who is in a position to know, all Goering's toy train collection was destroyed in an air raid during the war. I would be interested in understanding the provenance of any train purporting to be from Goering's collection.

Marklin did make a set of cars that were leader cars in the early 50s; set #43229. This was a MHI offering. The corresponding Lok is #37102. The cars are DB repaints of Goering's personal cars, I believe.Blink Later used by Konrad Adenauer.

FWIW you can see Goering's personal railcar at the DB museum in Koblenz. Goebbels too.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
#38 Posted : 05 January 2012 09:08:17(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
AFAIK and I heard it from a very heavy collector who is in a position to know, all Goering's toy train collection was destroyed in an air raid during the war. I would be interested in understanding the provenance of any train purporting to be from Goering's collection.

Marklin did make a set of cars that were leader cars in the early 50s; set #43229. This was a MHI offering. The corresponding Lok is #37102. The cars are DB repaints of Goering's personal cars, I believe.Blink Later used by Konrad Adenauer.

FWIW you can see Goering's personal railcar at the DB museum in Koblenz. Goebbels too.

Hello,

Thanks for your input. Although I left this out of the article, I did hear two rumors about Goring's trains which are still out there. Supposedly the Rheingold livery cars ended up in Poland and another large portion of the collection was sold privately by a dealer in Munich. Again these are rumors from collectors over in Germany who have an interest in this like me. BTW, the photo of the Gauge 1 train which I pictured on the top of this forum thread I do not believe to be Goring's. Perhaps it passed through Goring's hands (leftover stock or something), but it was definitely never run on his layout or at Carinhall.

Interesting to hear that Goering and Goebbels' railcars are still around to view at the DB museum. Unfortunately I was recently in the Rhine river valley and passed through Koblenz on to Braubach but didn't know about this museum.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline john black  
#39 Posted : 05 January 2012 16:27:34(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

AFAIK G's collection was destroyed in an air raid during the war.

Dz dz ... what pity. Sir Winnie was the best. From London, with love Tongue

Offline David Dewar  
#40 Posted : 05 January 2012 16:54:26(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Just sent two of my Airfix Spitfires to take out any models or layouts made or owned by said person.

Jolly good show chaps and back for tea and biscuits.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline john black  
#41 Posted : 05 January 2012 17:01:38(UTC)
john black

United States   
My Sopwith Camels add to the stream ... may be a bit outdated but do compensate by good spirit ... Razz

Offline petestra  
#42 Posted : 05 January 2012 17:11:12(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Yes, we should no longer discuss the war and all that unpleasantness of the 30s
and 40s. Waiter, I'd like to order a Herman Goering Salad with a side order
of Prawn Goebbels LOL Flapper PeterRollEyes Woot
Offline mike c  
#43 Posted : 05 January 2012 20:01:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Enough already. This Maerklin and Trix "afficianado" received much of his collection as gifts from companies to thank him for his influence in getting them access to various contracts with the Nazi Government. His main train set was a gift from Siemens. This is not something that should be comemmorated or otherwise celebrated. It can simply be acknowledged in passing and leave it at that.

There should be no tribute to Herr Meyer*.

Regards

Mike C

*It has been reported that Herr Reichsmarshall stated that if a British bomb ever fell on Berlin, he would change his name to "Meyer".
Offline skeptic49  
#44 Posted : 07 January 2012 15:18:46(UTC)
skeptic49

Paul, congratulations on the excellent article and your fine research. One can never completely cleanse the art from the taint of the monsters who collected and enjoyed it, but good quality research and new information about both is always of value.
Jim in Philadelphia

See my online magazine - Tinplate Times at http://www.tinplatetimes.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by skeptic49
Offline mattj70  
#45 Posted : 07 August 2013 03:50:02(UTC)
mattj70

United States   
I think the piece is well written and presented.

All the best,
Matt
Offline mike c  
#46 Posted : 07 August 2013 08:32:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Herrmann Goering was a key officer in the Nazi Chain of Command. Through this position, he received many special offerings from Maerklin and other companies, especially when his Luftwaffe was buying armaments from those companies. If he spent money on trains, there are chances that some of it may have come from money looted from Jews and other "Unerwuenschte".

My information is that a lot of his acquisitions and possessions were moved from Berlin to Berchtesgaden in 1944 as the Soviet forces moved West towards Berlin.
I do know that his property in Berchtesgaden was captured and occupied by members of the US Airborne in 1945. His residences in and near Berlin likely would have fallen to Soviet troops.

It should be acceptable to talk about the trains, but in any conversation, it is of the utmost importance to avoid any glorification of the man or of the movement and ideology that he espoused.

Respectfully,

Mike C
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mike c
#47 Posted : 10 August 2013 20:58:46(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Glad to see this topic come back to life and it's certainly interesting timing. I'm in contact with some members of a historical branch of the German government in Berlin and they have recently looked into some of the items they have in their archives and from what I've heard they've found "trains and buildings" from a group of items that were confiscated (?) from Goring's collection. It will be interesting to hear what they report back and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Best regards,

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline BR01097  
#48 Posted : 11 August 2013 03:56:01(UTC)
BR01097

United States   

It bothers me that some think they can get away with believing themselves above committing atrocities. We are the same species! Until we reconcile the fact that under certain circumstances we are ALL capable of monstrous acts, history has nothing to teach us.

Peruse this: http://psychology.about.com/od/historyofpsychology/a/milgram.htm

Now, let us get back to the subject at hand: Göring's enviable intra-war train set.

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline Goofy  
#49 Posted : 11 August 2013 14:55:37(UTC)
Goofy

I did read that Göring did collected trains.
But it was not only Märklin,he did get Trix too and some of other German trains toy.
I wonder if Adolf Hitler did also played with Görings trains model...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control