Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2011 09:34:12(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
I would like to install a decoder into my 3556 Ce6/8 Crocodile. The croc is probably 15 years old.

UserPostedImage

The locomotive is equipped with a high efficiency motor and an electronically controlled propulsion system. You can adjust the maximum speed and acceleration by turning the dial using a screw driver manually.

If I want to install a decoder, must I first remove the chip with the maximum speed and acceleration settings ?
Or do I leave this chip in and connect the decoder to this chip ?

I would be grateful if you could provide some guidance on this in the form of describing how to wire the decoder.

Thank you !

Regards,
John
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2011 09:49:59(UTC)
H0

Hi, John,

Please note that the 5-pole armature of 35xx is different from the HEP 5-pole armature.
AFAIK you should replace the chip with the decoder and install a new armature for best results.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline banco  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2011 18:07:12(UTC)
banco

From the description you give of what you can see your train already has a decoder in it. The board on which you adjust the breaking and acceleration is a Marklin decoder...............it is not an mfx decoder and has no sound but it carries an address which can be changed via the dip switches.....If you want to install an mfx decoder then you will need to replace this ..............if the board you describe is the one I thin it is then you will not need to modify the five pole motor...............however I seem to remember there is an issue that needs to be addressed with a croc but it is not too difficult to overcome and members should be able to assist.
C track,6021,large digital loft layout modelled in the legendary European land of "Moresnet"
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 27 November 2011 18:33:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: banco Go to Quoted Post
The board on which you adjust the breaking and acceleration is a Marklin decoder...
35xx locos have acceleration and breaking delays, but are analogue locos without decoder and without digital address - if this loco still has its factory configuration.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Johnvr  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2011 19:38:34(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Yep, this is an analog loco - there are no dip switches.
But there is the chip with the speed adjustment and acceleration adjustment.

I do not intend to replace the motor because it is already 5 pole with super acceleration, nor am I thinking of installing sound. I really just want to run it using Delta/Digital operation. (I am currently on Delta Controller, but I am planning on getting an MS2).

I have actually already bought a Delta Decoder 66031 chip which I think I can install and do the job, but just checking with you guys who have knowledge in this area.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2011 21:48:16(UTC)
Webmaster

That 35xx 5-pole motor sucks... It sucks power... I'd say rip it all out and get an M kit with motor parts & decoder, or at least the motor parts and a decoder of choice. That motor belongs in the bin...

I have had 3 locos with that setup, and all I can say is that they suck... Mainly because the rotor has rather low impedance and uses way too much current and has bad torque... Even if they are "smooth" they are "powerless" as Delta when they meet some load like pulling a long rake of wagen around a bend or uphill...

Have even tried to use the 5-pole rotor from 35xx in Delta DCM motors - Smoother than normal Delta,
but oohhh - almost no torque at all, loco even slows down significantly in curves by itself... Sucks, Sucks, Sucks...! Period... Wink

The ones I had (have) are 3528 E91, 3518 BR 18.3 and 3514 BR80...

No wonder they were in the catalog only for a year or so...

Rip it all out and replace with proper stuff... That's my personal recommendation...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline marklin61  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2011 11:16:07(UTC)
marklin61

Hi John,

I have an 3556 and replaced both the motor and installed a new decoder with the older 60901 decoder / motor kit. Works and runs beautifully.
Although I plan to upgarde this for a second time with the new mxf sound decoders when Marklin finally release them...

cheers
Steve...............

Life with Pinot Noir, Chocolate and Marklin trains..........
Offline mmervine  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2011 14:25:55(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
John-I did this exact upgrade for a friend of mine. I would also suggest replacing the motor parts and using a Lokpilot or Loksound 4.0. Take a look at the Lokpilot manual as to how to wire up the lights for 'Swiss lights'. One thing that I have learned in doing a couple of Croc upgrades is not to slice wires. The splices can interfere with the movement of the 3 part body. I ran all new wires in the two that I have upgraded. Finally, I installed a wiring harness with an 8 pin socket to make it easy to change the decoder in the future.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline Johnvr  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2011 14:04:10(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Thanks Guys, for all of your comments.
It gives me some options to consider ...

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline Johnvr  
#10 Posted : 06 April 2012 20:40:53(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi,

At last, I decided to rip out the old motor and replace it. Thanks - Juhan !!
Having had some success with the 60760 series with my other locos, I decided to go for the same 60760 decoder for this conversion.
There is also no point in having a good crocodile sitting on the shelf - gotta get on with the job to digital !

Having plucked up the courage to slice & dice with the croc, I am actually delighted at the outcome.
The conversion went pretty well, I thought, and there were no unforseen problems.
It helps that I had done some other conversions before I tackled this one.

The Croc now crawls along at a similar slow speed to my C-sine croc, so that is good news.
Lighting is also nice, with front and back switching over main lights and single light.

Here are some pictures :

Taking things apart :

UserPostedImage

One last look before the cut :

UserPostedImage

Wires all over the place :

UserPostedImage

Putting it back together :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My Green and Brown Crocs now side by side :

UserPostedImage

Some of my other conversions, here some electric locomotive conversions :

UserPostedImage

Here some steam locomotive conversions which I have also done :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I find these conversions an interesting part of the hobby.
I have learnt somethings about electricity AC and DC, and soldering, and decoders which I never knew before.
Sound installations are still some way off for me : for the moment, I am just happy to have all my old locomotives run together with my newer locomotives on the same digital system !!Cool

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#11 Posted : 06 April 2012 20:51:55(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Absolutely fantastic John - you're a brave man indeed tackling the croc! But well done, as you say, what's the use of it sitting
on the shelf?!?!
Your collection is looking great, a stunning collection of old and new, and now they can all run side by side....
......Now....let me see, I have this V200 sitting on the shelf...mmmm....is it time to pay you a visit?!?
Blessings this Easter!
Joe and Natalie
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 06 April 2012 21:14:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
John,
Great, job done well.congratulations.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 06 April 2012 23:34:43(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, nice work!! i did the same with my 3556 some years ago, with a 5 pole engine and a lokpilot, it runs great. Since you have used the 60760 kit it brings to my head some questions,
i used to convert a BR 80 museum, i think it is a cheap way to get a marklin 5 pole engine, indeed there are 3 more on the way to convert all of my deltas, but in my opinion the decoder just sucks? what do you think about guys?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 06 April 2012 23:36:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Well done John. Yes, fitting decoders and converting locos is part of the MMR fun. I converted my 3300 Crocodile (very similar in looks to your Croc) with a 60760 kit. It runs very well, although one day I might put a Loksound in it.

I find the 60760 decoder is OK for what it is. I don't like decoders with '65448684' speed steps, as it takes forever to get some speed on the loco, requiring multiple turns on the controller knob.
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 07 April 2012 00:16:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I find the 60760 decoder is OK for what it is. I don't like decoders with '65448684' speed steps, as it takes forever to get some speed on the loco, requiring multiple turns on the controller knob.
I prefer 28 speed steps. The 60760 has only 14 speed steps, but with a long acceleration/braking delay it's OK for slow locos (and the croc is a slow loco).

With MS2 and CS2, the speed knob behaves just the same (with about 160 or 64 virtual speed steps respectively), irrespective of the physical speed steps supported by the decoder.
With CS1 reloaded you can choose between 28 and 126 speed steps for mfx and 14, 28, or 126 speed steps for DCC, and 14, 27, or 28 speed steps for MM. You decide how many turns it takes, so it can't hurt if the decoder offers more speed steps.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 07 April 2012 00:22:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quite right, Tom.
Offline franciscohg  
#17 Posted : 07 April 2012 00:46:01(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
You are right, but there is other thing i have noticed with the conversion of the BR80, as i told you before i have perform many conversions with 5 pole engines and lokpilots, in new and old locs and the engines run very quietly, absolutely the contrary with the BR80 where the engine is really really noisy.....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline nevw  
#18 Posted : 07 April 2012 00:48:02(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Nice work John,
I converted mine with a MArklin MFX Decoder and Motor Kit. Great.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Johnvr  
#19 Posted : 07 April 2012 09:24:57(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Agree, I find the 60760 decoder ok for my purposes.

Although the number of speed steps are fewer than some other decoders, once the speed has been set, the locos maintain the speed very consistently. There is a performance vs budget payoff matrix, and the 60760 provides digital control at a budget price. That's all I was really looking for.

Regards,BigGrin
John