Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2011 03:25:55(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Hey everyone,

Since I model Swiss Railways, I don't often get a chance to play with smoke units! I have a few 7226 in my three german steamers, however I have two Italian locs (37557 and 37034) which I just bought the 72270 units for

The 7226's worked great, but I'm struggling with the 72270. In both locomotives the units are heating up, but not really putting out smoke. Further experimentation has proven that if I fill the living heck out of them, they will smoke like crazy LOL but only for 20-30 seconds Cursing

Does anyone know a remedy for this? After that 20 seconds of smoke both units for sure had a lot of fluid left, so that shouldn't be the problem.

Could it be the base tank isn't generating enough heat for the fluid within?

Both locos are doing the same thing so I'm hesitant to say any one unit is defective.

Thanks for any advice in advance!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2011 06:44:13(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
IF using a CSXXX or Ecos under the function setting for the smoker try the smoke generator setting or the dimmer setting and adjust the output setting.
With the 72270 you have to be extra careful on insertion.The wire on the unit has to run in the same direction as the contact. If not working real good turn it 180 degrees. MUST have good contact.
another thing it has been known that the 72270 can sometimes be faulty
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2011 15:20:00(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
If all is correct with the 72270 (or Seuthe 20)they usually smoke up more furiously than the 7226 variety, but do not tend to do so as long, cause they burn the fluid faster. You should only put 2ml of M or Seu smoke fluid in either unit, too much over whelmes them and it doesn't heat up, or takes forever to get going.
With the Seuthe units a syringe is supplied with graduations, just the bottom 2 (2ml) is enough.
(or you could buy one from a Chemist maybe ?)
The unit should be a nice tight fit in the Smoke stack, squeeze it a little between your fingures or pliers if not, to make it out of round slightly and a tight fit, obviously the top part of 72270 !
All the Loks I've fitted 72270's to have had a clean machined finish in the smoke stack where the unit fits into, conversely, I usually use a small piece of rolled up 1200 grit sand paper in the stack prior to fitting a 7226 as there's usually some paint in there.
As Nev mentioned the contact is CRITICAL, see the Lok instruction book re this
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2011 15:49:24(UTC)
H0

The correct amount for the 72270 is 0.2 ml only.
The loco manual warns that air bubbles below the smoke fluid might prevent correct operation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2011 19:01:20(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks for the input- some more notes:

- 2ml wouldn't really even get them smoking, it took a lot to put them to work.

- The contact idea is interesting, but if the unit is already heating is it safe to assume the contact if fine? They fit in their snugly, but I didn't sand the stacks.

- Perhaps they are getting too much voltage from the decoder? Only problem is when they stop there is still plenty of fluid in the boiler. Or conversely, maybe there still wasn't enough? Meaning the fluid in the base needs more heat?

Its hard to troubleshoot as two locomotives are doing the exact same thing, so I don't have a working baseline to go off of.

Thanks for any suggestions!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 25 November 2011 10:23:23(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi, this is slightly off the topic, but, can someone tell me why Marklin does't install the smoke units in the more expensive models ? In fact, I don't think Marklin install smoke units in any models - WHY ?

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 25 November 2011 12:47:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi,

There are 2 types of smoke generators, for analog or digital, they work on a different voltage.
With an ESU locpilot Version 4, the smoke unit mentioned is purely for "ESU smoke units"

All depending on the lokpilot you are using, ther are different programming procedures.

Usually the previous lokpilots prior to Version 4 you set the light on 15 or 31.

Not operating a CS2, look for heat settings such as when loco is running or stationary.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 25 November 2011 17:57:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
There are 2 types of smoke generators, for analog or digital, they work on a different voltage.
The vast majority of Märklin locos requires the "analogue" smoke generator for both analogue and digital operation, therefore they could easily pre-install the smoke generator for all users.
But it's cheaper for them to sell locos without smoke generator.

AFAIK the smoke generator is always on in analogue operation and could get damaged if run a long time without smoke fluid.

Many collectors do not like smoke generators because the fluid leaves stains on the loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mrmarklin  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2011 01:05:54(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
AFAIK all smoke units are made by Seuthe and are hit and miss as far as operation. I have used well over a hundred of these units and have noted the phenomenon you have observed even in the 7226 units. AFAIK, there is nothing to be done. You have a somewhat defective unit, and maybe can get some satisfaction from your dealer. These units are very small and probably have a certain amount of reject rate. I have been able to return these no questions asked to my dealer who presumably sends them back for replacement. For Seuthe this is probably just a cost of doing business.

I'm sure the reason Maerklin does not include these as installed units is that they don't want to get involved in all the hassles these units can have!Crying
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline BR01097  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2011 05:01:58(UTC)
BR01097

United States   

Lately, I, too, seem to be having trouble with a variety of installed smoke units. The contact point at the base of the unit should be parallel to the energizing tongue. However, what about proper ground?

The BR003 analogue unit--and similar locomotives--seems to have just one point where the unit can achieve ground: the securing screw, which has been coated. When a wire to the transformer is touched to the side of the actual smoke unit, it works immediately. Shouldn't the manufacturer be aware of this oversight?

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

Offline river6109  
#11 Posted : 28 November 2011 06:26:44(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
There are several issues to Seuthe smokeunits.
Although I had about a couple of units being faulty right from the start otherwise i never had any problems with them,
Ground connection occurs through your chimney and your tongue in analog mode is your rede wire or from the pickup shoe.
I don't think it is the screw that secures your housing and hence activates your smoke unit, I rather suspect it is the inside of the chimeny and the outside of the smoke unit not having proper contact.
the tongue, I solder some solder on top of it to give it a good contact base and also the contact of the bottom of the smokeunit could be cleaned.
the third point I like to make is the position of tungue and the bottom contact of the unit if this doesn't sit properly on top of it again you will find no proper contact has been achieved.
I agree with you, the overall construction how a contact is made is pretty flimsy and so is the contact of the smoke unit.
there are others available with 2 wires attached to it but than you have the trouble opening the loco without restrictions and it isn't my choice.

If we go into digital there is another problem in the pipeline. smoke units you've used for your analog locos, converted digital your smoke unit works with the 6021, MS1 but it will not work with an ECoS and I assume it goes tyhe same for a CS2.
So all your old smokeunits are no longer usable
the voltage on the ECoS records 13.9 V and I think this is not enough to get them hot enough.

Unless I've missed some information somewhere along the line how to make them operational with an ECoS I'm afraid it looks like on the surface I have to replace them all.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 28 November 2011 09:52:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
the voltage on the ECoS records 13.9 V and I think this is not enough to get them hot enough.
The new ECoS comes with an adjustable power supply - use a small screw driver to increase the voltage.
AFAIK the old ECoS came with 18 V fixed voltage power supplies - and you should get more than 13.9 V track voltage from that.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage