Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#51 Posted : 10 December 2011 05:24:23(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: Roberto Romano Go to Quoted Post
Dear Frank and friends:

I read with great interest "the whole shebang" on the Grandfather's R 700 LNER and the original boxes and found the topic very interesting and informative, one of the best I would say.

I don't want to digress into another topic, but I have of what I believe is the original box for an electric M* locomotive HS700. My German is very limited and I would like to ask the readers a few brief questions. I did a quick search in the German ebay site and found:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...orkrieg-OO-/360359348058
This auction seems that was removed before its ending. How do you interpret the dates in the number of bids?

I also found a "buy-it-now" auction of an HS700 for EUR 6.600,00 !!! apparently without a box:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eB...ame=VIP:watchlink:top:de

Do you read or find if there are original boxes in these auctions?
Since the box is of no use to me I would like to sell it but do first some research on the locomotive to appraise the box value. If you know of anybody interested let me know via my email.

Hello Roberto,

On the topic of 700 series locomotives, I think it is an okay discussion for this thread (we don't talk about 700 series much on this forum!). Anyway the first auction you referenced was ended because the item is no longer available. This usually means the seller doesn't want to sell it or someone has offered to buy it outside of ebay (not allowed! Blink). The second auction is just a regular overprice HS 700, but neither of them have the original box. There are a few different variations of the box for the HS 700. Some photos of yours would help.

Best regards,

Paul

PS. Perhaps several years ago I remember that someone had an HS 700 empty box and we were talking about the price of empty "kartons"....was that you? It was some time ago, back when I was just a little novice Marklin collector with no direction or guidance.
Offline cookee_nz  
#52 Posted : 10 December 2011 07:29:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Roberto Romano Go to Quoted Post
Dear Frank and friends:

I read with great interest "the whole shebang" on the Grandfather's R 700 LNER and the original boxes and found the topic very interesting and informative, one of the best I would say.

I don't want to digress into another topic, but I have of what I believe is the original box for an electric M* locomotive HS700. My German is very limited and I would like to ask the readers a few brief questions. I did a quick search in the German ebay site and found:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...orkrieg-OO-/360359348058
This auction seems that was removed before its ending. How do you interpret the dates in the number of bids?

I also found a "buy-it-now" auction of an HS700 for EUR 6.600,00 !!! apparently without a box:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eB...ame=VIP:watchlink:top:de

Do you read or find if there are original boxes in these auctions?
Since the box is of no use to me I would like to sell it but do first some research on the locomotive to appraise the box value. If you know of anybody interested let me know via my email.

Hi Roberto,

As Paul has indicated, there is definitely a market for original boxes, sometimes these can fetch quite surprising amounts, often relative to what the missing contents are worth.

This is possibly the thread Paul is referring to between you previously...

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9176

In most cases, (but not always) if an original box is with the item, it is at least referred to if not included in the pictures.

If there is any doubt, a question to the seller will confirm about the box although as I say, mostly if the box is included, it's as much a part of the auction as the item itself, particularly on vintage items compared to some newer items where the box may assume to be included.

It's common in German for this to be abbreviated as "OKT" (Original Karton) or "OVP" (Original Verpackung), and unfortunately, (for non-German speakers) they seem to have as many ways of expressing the same thing as we do with our confounded English!! Often an empty box is also referred to as 'leerkarton' and can make searching for these terms a bit of a hit and miss affair.

I remember some time ago reading somewhere (not here, wish I'd noted it) a discussion where the value of a box was set as a percentage of the value of the item, it might have been 10%-20% or even higher in some cases.

If you wanted to get a feel for the market, there is nothing to stop you from listing the box but set a reserve high enough that you are not at risk of it selling regrettably low, but you really ought to set your starting price low to encourage the bidders to get involved. But let's see what the response is from Paul and one or two others here who may be able to give better guidance.

A while ago we had a thread about 'orphan items'....

https://www.marklin-users.net/forum/yaf_postst18244_Orphan-items---what-do-you-have-that-remains-useless-but-you-still-hope.aspx

... such as boxes without items, sections of a bigger unit (tender with no loco etc) and it's always interesting to hear how one ended up with these items. Do you recall how the HS700 came your way? - and are you like me with my empty G800 box, hoping that one day the matching item will come your way? (knowing of course, with 100% certainty) that just as soon as you sell the box, you'll find it!!!! It's truly the stuff of nightmares.

Of course, someone here may put their hand up saying they have an HS700 with no box and offering to do a deal or trade that makes you both happy - the so-called 'LHP' or "love-of-hearts pricing".

So, to end the speculation, bring on the photo's, particularly of the label area, Paul has some helpful info regarding overlooked markings that can narrow down the dating of it.

Regards

Steve
melbourne

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
#53 Posted : 10 December 2011 08:29:02(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Steve has given some very good insights. After reviewing the photos of the HS 700 box I think that it is quite an enigma-box and would make a great new thread. There are many interesting things to note with all HS 700 boxes and especially the fact that HS 700 boxes are, in my opinion, the most difficult boxes to determine original / fake.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline frankNL  
#54 Posted : 11 December 2011 09:05:31(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello all,

Thanks for the compliments Romano!

In a Dutch discussion about the importance (and value) of original boxes I found this link

http://sammler.blue-parr...owitabelle.php?jahr=2011

A list of sold items at ebay.de without and with the OVP.
It's in German, I know, but as you can see sometimes the items have sold for more without OVP?!

I also know that with the rarer items the value of the original box rises but sometimes locs fit in just fine in the wrong boxes BigGrin

regards

Frank
frankNL attached the following image(s):
boxes loc-tender.jpg
Offline Roberto Romano  
#55 Posted : 11 December 2011 21:47:50(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Frank,

Thank you for posting the link about the price of completed ebay Marklin auctions. It is very handy to have this data when you have no clue on the current going price of a Marklin article; it will certainly help to decide how much is the maximum you are willing to pay in an auction with the added information of price when the original box is includedBigGrin . Many buyers will benefit from this information. And by the way, the site also has the information in English, just click in the English flag at the right-top corner of the page.
Regards, Roberto
Offline Roberto Romano  
#56 Posted : 11 December 2011 22:34:54(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Hello,

By the way, here is a picture of the HS700 box that I have and mentioned earlier in this topic.

Front HS700 Box
The little book/manual of the 2000 edition of the mikado: "Handbuch fur MODELLBAHN-SAMMLER, Band 1" for the 700/800/3000 series Marklin locomotives shows a picture of a solid red box with yellow interior for the HS700.
So I assume the brown box pictured above must be an older version or as Paul suggested, for the USA market, since this box was sold by the famous FAO Schwarz in NY.

Thank you Steve and Paul for your posts above. Certainly it is very useful information when we are speaking in the context of Marklin relics and their original boxes(ovp).
Regards, Roberto
Offline frankNL  
#57 Posted : 14 December 2011 13:47:07(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello Roberto,

Nice aged box ThumpUp
In almost every aspect(of course not the label) similar with the photo above with the 'wrong' boxes. Including the corner-staples!

regards
Frank
Offline frankNL  
#58 Posted : 19 December 2011 00:01:55(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello all

Here is an update about the sale of the LNER R700 Grandfather possesses... or rather possessed:
Today Grandfathers 'green loc' has been sold to a very happy collector at a price acceptable to all!
Eveybody happy:
The collector will provide a very good home for Grandfathers loc, which is, according to him, in the best possible state.
Grandfather because the loc has now a surrounding more fitting than a box in a cupboard at his attic.
Me: -Grandfather has some money to buy a nice set for his grandson.
-the whole search for backgrounds for this loc has infected me with the 'trainvirus'.
-I learned a great deal about model trains and, more specific, Märklin.
-I was been introduced to the phenomenon forum; a very positive experience, specifically at this forum!

By the way after 60 years+ at the attic the LNER R700 runs like it must have done 60+ years ago!
(ok, it needs some oil)
Even the light up front worked!

And the orange-red colour on this loc, earlier mentioned in this thread, was to be seen at several locs from the same period of this collector!

Here are a few photos of the loc in its new surrounding

best regards,
Frank
frankNL attached the following image(s):
new surrounding 1.jpg
new surrounding 2.jpg
new surrounding 3.jpg
new surrounding 4.jpg
Offline cookee_nz  
#59 Posted : 19 December 2011 03:00:29(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: frankNL Go to Quoted Post
Hello all

Here is an update about the sale of the LNER R700 Grandfather possesses... or rather possessed:
Today Grandfathers 'green loc' has been sold to a very happy collector at a price acceptable to all!
Eveybody happy:
The collector will provide a very good home for Grandfathers loc, which is, according to him, in the best possible state.
Grandfather because the loc has now a surrounding more fitting than a box in a cupboard at his attic.
Me: -Grandfather has some money to buy a nice set for his grandson.
-the whole search for backgrounds for this loc has infected me with the 'trainvirus'.
-I learned a great deal about model trains and, more specific, Märklin.
-I was been introduced to the phenomenon forum; a very positive experience, specifically at this forum!

By the way after 60 years+ at the attic the LNER R700 runs like it must have done 60+ years ago!
(ok, it needs some oil)
Even the light up front worked!

And the orange-red colour on this loc, earlier mentioned in this thread, was to be seen at several locs from the same period of this collector!

Here are a few photos of the loc in its new surrounding

best regards,
Frank

Hi Frank, well thanks for the update, it's always nice to get feedback like this, so often we get questions from 'newcomers' who listen with one ear, talk with both mouths, get what they want and you never hear from them again. Kind of reminds me of myself in my teenage years dealing with girls!! Blushing Blushing

Anyway I'm sure we are all delighted that the Loco has gone to a good and appreciative home, it looks just magnificent in the new surroundings and the background really brings out the colour - I'm sure the new owner will find some rolling stock to round it out.

You gave him the web address for this forum of course ?? BigGrin

Glad to hear it all worked out in the end and that everyone is happy. And without wanting to appear too 'capitalist', I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering how much it sold for in the end? - naturally if you wish to respect privacy etc we will all understand but if it's no great secret it would give some of us an indication of current value for such an item.

Alternatively, feel free to PM me if you prefer the info not be public. Mum's the word!!

Kind regards and hope Grandfather, Grandson and everyone in between have a super Christmas & New Year.

Steve
Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline frankNL  
#60 Posted : 19 December 2011 08:07:45(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello Steve,

First I hope you haven't damaged the fair sex too much...Wink

I linked this thread to the new proud owner. Unfortunately his understanding of the English language is rudimentary. He can look at the photos however, taken at his home. He made this for christmas time and did a wonderful job!!

As to the price it made: we agreed not to make that public at the forums.
A bit of an indication however seems fair: it did not quite sell for the price mentioned in Koll, but it sold for far more than half of that price (along with the rest of the 'shebang').
I Hope that's enough to satisfy your understandable curiosity?

Also a merry Chrismas and a great start of 2012 to you and your loved ones!

best regards
Frank
Offline Webmaster  
#61 Posted : 19 December 2011 19:01:18(UTC)
Webmaster

Excellent, this is probably the best happy ending possible to the story of this particular LNER R700...

A new happy home for the loco where it will be taken care of, old home also happy for the price.

Those who have followed this topic are also happy to learn a lot about one particular loco form the preware era, and so much knowledge is displayed here in the forum too...

And grandson should get a new starter set for Christmas.... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline frankNL  
#62 Posted : 20 December 2011 08:16:54(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Thanks for all the kind replies, it realy helped us in the search to find the best possible buyer. We think the loc has found its place and we think it will not leave its new home for a long time to come.

Now as for a christmas gift: we celebrated St. Nicolaas (Dutch holiday, I believe Santa Claus came from this Saint, correct me if I'm wrong) and won't be giving each other gifts for Christmas.

We will take Grandfather and grandson to a train-fair in january or february (we have quite a lot train-fairs in the Netherlands; in fact a train-fair was the place we offered to exchange Grandfathers' set for a starter set..... We were lucky (at the time we were ofcourse complete nitwits on the subject of model railways), and decided to dig deeper after a merchant looked like this: Drool Drool Drool
In the dutch 3rail forum we started a topic about how to recognize malevolent, greedy merchants, maybe interesting on this forum too? If there already is such a topic please link it to us).

There Grandfather and grandson will choose a starter set (and maybe more...).

First we will run it on our table, after our attic has been made suitable for our new hobby we will start to build a more comprehensive setting.

best regards
Frank

#63 Posted : 20 December 2011 08:26:59(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   

In the dutch 3rail forum we started a topic about how to recognize malevolent, greedy merchants, maybe interesting on this forum too? If there already is such a topic please link it to us).

Greedy, malevolent merchants? In the vintage Marklin world that is all we have!

Regards,

Paul
Offline frankNL  
#64 Posted : 20 December 2011 09:20:20(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post

Regards,

Paul

I feel sorry for us all!

regards
Frank
#65 Posted : 21 December 2011 02:39:37(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post

Regards,

Paul

I feel sorry for us all!

regards
Frank

Yes, it just means we have to be careful ! Lots of dealers out there misrepresent their items and I like to hope it is because they don't know and not because they want more money!

By the way, I thought it might be interesting to post one of the British version sets from my collection. I just re-organized my collection and put together a small "Great Britiain display". Everything in the photo was purchased in the UK.

UserPostedImage

The black and white catalog in the corner is one of two catalog which features British version Marklin...only 1,000 were printed because it is such a small market...pretty rare!

Paul
Offline frankNL  
#66 Posted : 21 December 2011 11:13:25(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello Paul,

Looks great!
A great LMS-loc and lots of passengercars!
Even the non-train subjects (was it also mostly for the British market?) look great.

One question: how is it possible that items for the British market end up in the Netherlands? WW II?

By the way I visited your website and read a few articles. I was particulary appealed by the thorough research of this articles! Keep up the good work!

regards
Frank
#67 Posted : 21 December 2011 11:20:28(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello Paul,

Looks great!
A great LMS-loc and lots of passengercars!
Even the non-train subjects (was it also mostly for the British market?) look great.

One question: how is it possible that items for the British market end up in the Netherlands? WW II?

By the way I visited your website and read a few articles. I was particulary appealed by the thorough research of this articles! Keep up the good work!

regards
Frank

Hello Frank,

Some of "British version" trains did actually end up in Germany and even the United States. Most of the ones for the United States did not have the LMS or LNER stamping on the tender. The ones for Germany / Europe are mostly "rot" instead of "LMS" on the box and "grun" instead of "LNER" on the box. The products were available to other markets that just Great Britain. The other train accessories in the photo aren't actually for the "British market" but I just bought them in the UK so they have UK prices written on the boxes. They do however have sometimes different stamping on the boxes and pieces.

Best regards,

Paul
Offline frankNL  
#68 Posted : 21 December 2011 14:05:27(UTC)
frankNL

Netherlands   
Hello all,

For those who can read German.
Here is a link to a beautiful fairytail:

http://alte-modellbahnen...E-GESCHICHTE-R-LNRE.html

regards,
Frank