Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline FMS  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2011 16:16:59(UTC)
FMS

I noticed some imperfections in one of my BR 03 wheels.
Can somebody explain what is the reason for this?

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

Thank you all
Regards
FMS
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2011 16:32:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Mine in unused/boxed have no sign of imperfections.

How long been used on layout?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline FMS  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2011 17:08:26(UTC)
FMS

Hi Steven! I bought this loco this year around June! Second Hand.
The body is just fine, the engine runs very well...no reason to complain, except this situation that i noticed.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Regards
FMS
Offline FMS  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2011 18:32:30(UTC)
FMS

Does anyone knows what is the material used to cast Marklin locomotive and wagons wheels?
I still dont know why did this coat/finish came out.

Tks
Regards
FMS
Offline kariosls37  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2011 21:39:44(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
To me this looks like the wheel wasn't cleaned well before it went into the solution that blackens the wheels, and that the blackening has either not formed there or chipped off as a result. (normally the blackening is attached to the surface in the same way that rust sticks to the iron it's on, which means it won't chip)

The old wheels were nickel plated copper I think. You could tell as the nickel plating would wear off after a lot of wear exposing the copper. I'm not sure if they are still made that way.
Offline hemau  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2011 22:17:23(UTC)
hemau

I looks like the paint came off. I'v no such modern loco's with painted wheels.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline Dave Banks  
#7 Posted : 07 November 2011 00:01:36(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I think the term they use is called "Anodising". For my part I do not like anodised wheels apart from looking very nice it plays havoc with earthing of the wheels especially the earlier digital models.
D.A.Banks
Offline NZMarklinist  
#8 Posted : 07 November 2011 02:41:03(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
It looks to me like the plating of the wheels is coming off, my guess is it's probably nickle plating, which looks to have the newer black anodising treatment as well. I don't think anodising would flake off like that, so it's probably the plating. Somebody like Jacques with more knowledge of earlier Loks may give us an idea.
However, the only fix really, is to replace the wheels with new ones, I notice one of the drivers has a chip out of the flange also. You could renickle and paint them but I think that brand new ones would give the best and I believe less costly result. Sad
However you will need a professional to do this as the driving wheels will need to be "Quartered" as they are being press fitted to the axles. The tools can be bought on the Internet, but not worth it for one Lok.
List members, jvuye in France, or drwhittle in New Zealand are two that have the tools and knowledge to remove and fit new wheels for you, that I know of. They both have the knowledge to access to the new parts from Marklin if they don't have the correct ones available allready BigGrin
Good LuckThumpUp

edit; it also ocurred to me that Marklin of course have a repair service too, and I have heard tales of out of warranty jobs being done for free if they think they have some culpability or are just in a good mood that day. I suspect their repair costs would be higher than the other private guys I have mentioned here.Sneaky
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline eduard71  
#9 Posted : 07 November 2011 02:47:49(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
I believe this loco was previously used on M track. Any locomotive used on M track will produce chips on the wheels because of the dead level unions that M track have.

Regards

Eduardo
Offline FMS  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2011 00:07:19(UTC)
FMS

Eduardo,Dave, Glen,kariosls37 and hemau, thank you all for the feedback.

The strange thing is the fact that this only affects one of the wheels.
Maybe i should leave it like it is, after all it's only one wheel.

Thank you all for your kindness and patience!

Regards
Regards
FMS
Offline kariosls37  
#11 Posted : 08 November 2011 01:09:52(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I would do exactly the same Fred.

To me the nickel plating(the stuff that makes the un-blackened wheels shiny) looks intact. I have never seen nickel plating chip on a wheel, so to me it looks very unlikely.

The wheels are chemically blackened, and this coat is chemically attached to the metal underneath, and is also very unlikely to chip.

To my untrained eye, the bright spots look like they did not get exposed to the blackening solution for some reason, and is therefore just the bright nickel plating showing through.

If there is a gun/hunting shop nearby, you could try some "gun blue" on the affected areas. It is essentially the same stuff that blackens the wheels, and may help disguise the bright spots.

Glen, the "chip" in the flange is just a part of the brake rigging that sits above the flange. the flange just continues underneath itWink
Offline old toot  
#12 Posted : 08 November 2011 09:00:41(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
Hi Fred
Ring the marklin Service Department and discuss it with them
they will have seen it before for sure, and as someone above
has said they could give you some advice, or they may offer
to sort it for you,and give you an estimate to change the wheels
and I think also the M track suggestion could well be the joints
doing the damage, as the new c track are far better connection
and Tell them Toottoot referred you as they know us well.
regards
bryan old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline jvuye  
#13 Posted : 08 November 2011 10:37:27(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi!
I am not a chemist, so I cannot offer specifics.
However I observed the wheel manufacturing and finishing process at Märklin, during the Göppingen open doors days in 2010.
The wheels are cast, usually by 8 or larger number.
They are separated from the injection stem and put in vibrating drums along with a "cocktail" of little metal granulate of various shapes.
The wheels come out perfectly smooth and clean, including the spaces between the spokes!
Then it's off to the degreasing, electrolytic copper plating (for adherence of the finish), cleaning again then etch-in the blackish color (which is the part that flaked on yours) of which I ignore the composition, but it must be something similar to gun-blue or gun-black (the chemists among us would know ...?? sulfate...??)
So the explanation probably lies there: a small defect in cleaning or a slightly defective copper plating.
Like others I wouldn't worry too much...run the loco at will, the "flaked" part will progressively blend in.
Changing wheels, especially on a steam loco with large drivers is a delicate operation, requiring the proper jig and tools to avoid wobbly / shaky behavior later on.

My two cents...
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline arconell  
#14 Posted : 10 November 2011 01:37:32(UTC)
arconell

Frankly, to me that looks like mechanical damage and not a fault in the finishing process. These brighter spots have very ragged edges which would be inconsistent with f.i. a bit of grease left on the surfaces after cleansing. Also on the first and 2nd photo there is smear of red wheelpaint visible on the axle stub. My guess would be that it might be caused by some kind of wheel press or similar tool, i.e. that wheel has been replaced or at least been pressed back on. Well, there is another cent, just one this time I guess.

Cheers, Robert