Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ChrisP  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2011 09:20:21(UTC)
ChrisP

As I steadily extend my layout the question of power supplies to different parts of it needs to be addressed. At the moment I have a simple main line with signals and turnouts all powered from one 6002 transformer through the Central Control. But I have a second main line ready to be connected with an isolated centre rail and a second transformer and 6015 booster to supply power to it.

I see in the Maerklin Electrical Manual a recommendation that as a layout goes beyond the basics the k83 decoders can be powered separately by using the red wire from a booster. I understand that this must never be connected to the existing red wire from the Central Control. I wonder if anyone can confirm that connecting the decoders to my booster in this way will be OK? I think the earth (brown) wires throughout the layout can all be connected together.

Chris
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2011 10:42:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yes Chris, you can power K83's from a booster, in fact some people have a booster just for powering their K83's.

An alternate is to use the Viessmann 5211 K83's - they work exactly the same as the Marklin ones, but they also have a separate power input, which means you can power them directly from a separate transformer. They still need a connection to the red output from a Central Station/Booster, but that is only to receive the digital command signal - power is drawn from the transformer powering them. You can also use them in a conventional wiring setup, but why would you when you can use a dedicated power supply.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline ChrisP  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2011 15:02:42(UTC)
ChrisP

Thank you for this advice. I feel more confident in plugging in my k83s into the booster now without fearing a loud bang.

Regards

Chris
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2012 08:17:31(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Yes Chris, you can power K83's from a booster, in fact some people have a booster just for powering their K83's.

An alternate is to use the Viessmann 5211 K83's - they work exactly the same as the Marklin ones, but they also have a separate power input, which means you can power them directly from a separate transformer. They still need a connection to the red output from a Central Station/Booster, but that is only to receive the digital command signal - power is drawn from the transformer powering them. You can also use them in a conventional wiring setup, but why would you when you can use a dedicated power supply.

Hi Bigdaddynz,

I have a 6647 transformers presently used to power up analogue M track turnouts and accessories (yellow wire).

As I already have a yellow wire bus from the 6647 underneath my layout, could I use that for the seperate power input to Viessmann 5211?

PS: I don’t have any boosters for my CS2 on the layout.

Thanks!

Brgs - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2012 08:53:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
As I already have a yellow wire bus from the 6647 underneath my layout, could I use that for the seperate power input to Viessmann 5211?

Yes, just plug the yellow wire into the 'E' socket on the top of the 5211. And, connect the Brown wire to the 'B' socket. You also need to connect the 'R' socket to the red track output from your controller, so that the 5211 can receive digital commands from the controller.
Offline Danlake  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2012 10:12:15(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Thanks - I am happy now that I chose Viessmann I/O MarklinBigGrin
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 10 June 2012 12:18:03(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Just a short question regarding Viessmann 5211 (before I start messing around with my new purchases...)

After reading the manual I get the impression you have to connect the K83 in series (i.e. the output red/brown from one K83 has to be wired to input on the next K83)?

With a wire bus running under the layout it would be much easier for me to just connect each K83 up individually to some feeder wires direct from the red/brown bus?

Possible?

Brgs - Lasse
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 10 June 2012 12:51:56(UTC)
H0

All decoders need a connection to red/brown of the controller. Better parallel, but series is also possible (but not required).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Danlake  
#9 Posted : 03 August 2012 12:26:41(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Just a short question when using a seperate power supply to the Viessmann 5211 decoders.

Is the brown ground connection (next to E socket) really needed as it already has 1 ground connected in the bottom?

I tried with and withoout and seems to work fine.

UserPostedImage

Thanks!

Brgds - Lasse
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 03 August 2012 13:54:12(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Normally the brown lead at the bottom will come from the track, and the top lead from the secondary transformer. It doesn't matter if you are using a common earth, i.e. if the brown output from the controller is joined with / connected to the brown from the secondary transformer. I'm using a common earth, and only have a single brown connection to my 5211's (the bottom one).
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz