Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Schienenbus  
#1 Posted : 08 October 2011 12:57:03(UTC)
Schienenbus

I just received my new KOF and love it. However the telex couplers don't operate, although they show fine on the screen of my Central Station 1 / ECOS controller. The symbol changes when I press the button, but the couplers don't switch on the loco.

Now I looked in the function table and there are no tick marks at all for F1 and F2 which are supposed to control the couplers... Anybody knows what the function settings should be to have them work properly?

The lights work fine (individually switchable front and rear, plus the switching setting of white on both ends...).

Thanks for helping!

A.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 08 October 2011 14:25:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Schienenbus Go to Quoted Post
Now I looked in the function table and there are no tick marks at all for F1 and F2 which are supposed to control the couplers... Anybody knows what the function settings should be to have them work properly?
I also noted the missing tick marks.
Similar with my Köf III: Rear coupler working, front coupler not working - same with MS1. I think there's nothing wrong with the ECoS and loco will go back to the dealer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Hemmerich  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2011 18:15:01(UTC)
Hemmerich

Now I looked in the function table and there are no tick marks at all for F1 and F2 which are supposed to control the couplers...

Yes. This is as it should be.
Quote:
Anybody knows what the function settings should be to have them work properly?

Leave the settings unchanged. They work as preset by the factory.

Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2011 18:59:20(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
According to the instructions that come with the loco it is f1 and f2 for the 6021, Infra red, MS2 and CS2. For the MS1 it is f6 and f3, so maybe it's the same for the CS1 and the ECOS?

I can confirm the couplers work fine on mine using f1 and f2 on my 6021.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2011 20:19:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
For the MS1 it is f6 and f3, so maybe it's the same for the CS1 and the ECOS?
No, MS1 has an LCD with pre-defined symbols and keys are re-assigned so they best match the symbols.
CS1/ECoS have a full graphics display, no re-mapping taking place.

My CS1 shows two symbols (f1 and f2) - rear coupler works, front coupler doesn't.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 08 October 2011 21:33:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
For the MS1 it is f6 and f3, so maybe it's the same for the CS1 and the ECOS?
No, MS1 has an LCD with pre-defined symbols and keys are re-assigned so they best match the symbols.
CS1/ECoS have a full graphics display, no re-mapping taking place.

My CS1 shows two symbols (f1 and f2) - rear coupler works, front coupler doesn't.

The loco instructions don't give any information for a CS1, so does that mean it's not supported?
Ray
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 08 October 2011 21:50:17(UTC)
H0

The loco instructions don't give any information for a CS1, so does that mean it's not supported?
One telex coupler working with my CS1, the other not working (the loco registered automatically and created two telex coupler symbols for f1 and f2).

The product database only lists "Central Station". Does that mean it's not supported by Central Station 2?

I'll check it with another controller.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Hemmerich  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2011 00:01:39(UTC)
Hemmerich

For the MS1 it is f6 and f3,

The manual only states "Function" for the MS1, which means buttons 6 and 3.

Quote:
The loco instructions don't give any information for a CS1, so does that mean it's not supported?´

Yes, they do (even on both pages). BigGrin
Offline Schienenbus  
#9 Posted : 09 October 2011 01:00:00(UTC)
Schienenbus

Originally Posted by: Hemmerich Go to Quoted Post
Now I looked in the function table and there are no tick marks at all for F1 and F2 which are supposed to control the couplers...

Yes. This is as it should be.
Quote:
Anybody knows what the function settings should be to have them work properly?

Leave the settings unchanged. They work as preset by the factory.

Herr Hemmerich,
Do you think I'd post here if the telex did work??? I conclude from all this that my loco passed the famous quality control without being checked. So I have to send it back... What a pity! At least it is a small light one...

Thanks everybody for responding!
A.
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 09 October 2011 10:25:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Arthur,

Before sending it back, have you tried it with another controller?
Ray
Offline Schienenbus  
#11 Posted : 09 October 2011 13:10:15(UTC)
Schienenbus

Ray,
I tried it with my ECOS Control Radio with the same result, but that is to be expected, after all it is still connected through the Central Station. I cannot find my Mobile Stations, they are still somewhere in the moving boxes....
However, the Central Station works just fine with all other telex locos and it works fine with the KOF's lights... So I'd say there is a problem with Marklin's final quality control!
A.
Offline Hemmerich  
#12 Posted : 10 October 2011 22:38:45(UTC)
Hemmerich

Do you think I'd post here if the telex did work???

You can clearly see to what part of your posting my response related; I confirmed that this part of your finding was correct and thus potentially no cause of the problem.

Quote:
I conclude from all this that my loco passed the famous quality control without being checked.

My conclusion is that your famous dealer sold the model to you without checking it. If he had done, the warranty card supplied with the model should have been adequately filled out and stamped, including the check marks for the proper operation of the model's functions. If the warranty card was not filled out, then the dealer just skipped one of his prime obligations - one which should also differentiate him from those "box shufflers" selling mostly for dumping prices over the net. This final check in the delivery chain is an important part of the systematic quality control which should ensure lowest defect rates reaching customers; even more important to conduct if the dealer and customer are quite distant. It should also be obvious that it is cost wise not justifyable for the factory to perform a 100% check on every model they build.

Even all this might not always prevent a product from finally failing at the customer site. Sad enough to happen in every single case, but that's what warranty is set up for.
Offline David Dewar  
#13 Posted : 10 October 2011 23:26:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Dealers should check models before despatch and in particular where they are being sent to other countries.
I think it is obvious that Marklin do not fully check models before despatch in view of the poor quality which keeps coming up in the forum.
Maybe I am lucky and have a good dealer but it is a shame that many members have had problems over the past couple of years.
Maybe Marklin should only supply dealers who agree to check new stock and stop supplies reaching ebay dealers who do not own proper retail premises.
It is the same with most manufacturers. There are good and bad in the motor trade or even those who make washing machines etc. Some are reliable and some are not due to the time spent on quality control.
Poor quality means fewer sales and as with Marklin financial problems.
Having bought a large number of Faller kits I have never had a part missing or broken so I reckon they must spend time ensuring their products are checked as dealers can not open a sealed box.

dave

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline kbvrod  
#14 Posted : 11 October 2011 00:08:00(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
David,I agree 100% with you.There was a time when buying M that you -knew- it would work right out of the box.QC,these days with all the techno-stuff,it should be checked at the factory and also by the dealer,before it is sold.
Faller:I did get an opened un-assembled second-hand kit that was missing a part.I mailed a copy of the instructions with the missing part circled and in two weeks got the part mailed to me,no questions asked,...

Dr D
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 11 October 2011 09:54:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This is one of the advantages of buying from a bricks and mortar model shop. You can ask them to test it for you before you take it home.

Unfortunately today's electronics are such that even if tested at the factory you can still get a failure next time power is applied, so it's a good idea to have a second test at the dealer.

"Out of box" failures are a fact of life and we have to learn to deal with them.
Ray
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 11 October 2011 12:14:17(UTC)
H0

It should also be obvious that it is cost wise not justifyable for the factory to perform a 100% check on every model they build.
It's ridiculous to expect dealers to make a 100 % check on every model they sell.
At the company they make Köfs all day long, they have the CU 6021s set to the correct address, they know which keys they have to press, the test takes only seconds. It takes the dealer minutes to make the test and how shall he/she know if parts are missing?
Märklin use special plugs to test the contact of the smoke generator, dealers don't have those plugs (I know that the Köf has no smoke generator contact).

Look at the MyWorld ICE: you need a screwdriver to install batteries in the train and to install batteries in the remote control.
Märklin want to get back into toyshops and department stores: there are no MRR experts, they don't even have test tracks. They won't test any loco they sell.
Many start sets have been and are sold in food stores - no testing done there either.

And one potential problem with dealers testing all locos: they must get the felt pieces back into the right positions, otherwise the PET inlay will damage the paint. I'm afraid that many dealers won't put them back into the right places.

I prefer to buy from cheap "box shuffler" dealers that do not perform extensive tests on all locos as long as they arrive with intact paint and details. And sometimes they have to go back to the dealer.
Since I live in Germany, German dealers will have to refund the return postage. It would be better for foreign customers if the dealer did some testing - but still I think the company is reponsible for that.

When I buy CD players, TV decoders, video recorders, or DSL modems they don't get tested - they just work when I get home.

So Märklin should not see the dealer as part of the QA chain - if they successfully want to get back into toyshops and department stores.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline nevw  
#17 Posted : 11 October 2011 12:28:39(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Tom, i think you are doing what your signature says not to do.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Schienenbus  
#18 Posted : 25 October 2011 00:05:08(UTC)
Schienenbus

I have my loco back, or to be more correct, the dealer exchanged it for a new one - now both telex couplers work just fine!!!

A.

Offline NZMarklinist  
#19 Posted : 30 October 2011 13:05:07(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
I have my loco back, or to be more correct, the dealer exchanged it for a new one - now both telex couplers work just fine!!!

A.

Just out of interest, are the functions now ticked in the mapping screen on your ecos Confused Sneaky
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline David Dewar  
#20 Posted : 30 October 2011 16:10:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Good to see the dealer did the right thing. Once again though Marklin have produced another faulty item causing problems for customers and dealers.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Hemmerich  
#21 Posted : 30 October 2011 21:02:37(UTC)
Hemmerich

Fürhter up I wrote already what this dealer really should have done right in order to avoid any problems for the end customer.

There's no "excuse" for him either since he (too) failed to perform his expected task in the quality chain.

Just as an opposite example - when I visited a shop recently another person came in to pick up an apparently reserved model for someone else; even that didn't stop the dealer to show/demonstrate that person all model functions and completeness including filling out and signing the warranty card afterwards.

So, be careful whom or if you only want to declare one party "guilty" here.

PS: If (certain) people prefer to buy items w/o advance inspection by the selling dealer that's their own decision; nevertheless I know that Märklin even adviced their dealers in writing not very long time ago to exactly conduct this task immediately after receipt of newly delivered items. Märklin also knowingly "recalled" at least two models this year right after delivery of the first pieces; one of them even before it hit "the streets", although the key issue was just an improper print on the outer box. Unfortunately it didn't stop some ...dealers who just felt they can ignore this advice and even offered those as special collector items for excessive high prices.
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 30 October 2011 21:36:00(UTC)
H0

Fürhter up I wrote already what this dealer really should have done right in order to avoid any problems for the end customer.
An Insider told me recently that M* cannot open all boxes coming from China for the quality check and thus rely on the dealers to do it. I treat this as a rumour, but it sounds plausible.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline GSRR  
#23 Posted : 31 October 2011 04:04:14(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
An Insider told me recently that M* cannot open all boxes coming from China for the quality check and thus rely on the dealers to do it. I treat this as a rumour, but it sounds plausible.

Perhaps my memory is off. I thought M* was reclaiming all production from China?

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 31 October 2011 07:32:29(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
I thought M* was reclaiming all production from China?
In one of the recent episodes of Märklin TV Stefan Löbich was asked if Märklin was completely out of China - and the answer was no.
And it was not Märklin that cancelled the contract, the Chinese manufacturer terminated the contract with Märklin (for future productions, but fulfilling the then current orders).

So they do move parts of the production from China to Europe, but continue to buy from China. And since items sold in Europe have no "Made in ..." markings, I don't know where the items I buy come from.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline NZMarklinist  
#25 Posted : 31 October 2011 08:29:39(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Are the Koffs not a Brawa manufactured item, who probably have a lot if not all their manufacturing done in China Confused Sneaky
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 31 October 2011 08:49:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
Are the Koffs not a Brawa manufactured item
The Köf II #3680 was a co-operation with Brawa, the later Köf II with five-digit numbers are not listed as co-operations (and they look different).
This thread is about the new Köf III - wherever it is made.
Märklin also makes the Köf IV. The small Kö I is available from Piko and Brawa.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline NZMarklinist  
#27 Posted : 31 October 2011 10:06:22(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Are the Koffs not a Brawa manufactured item
The Köf II #3680 was a co-operation with Brawa, the later Köf II with five-digit numbers are not listed as co-operations (and they look different).
This thread is about the new Köf III - wherever it is made.
Märklin also makes the Köf IV. The small Kö I is available from Piko and Brawa.

I believe there was some Zinc pest issues with those early Koff's.
Thanks Tom, we learn new things from this forum, and sometimes create or quash conspiricies every day Cool BigGrin
I have M36800 eraIII, M36822 eraII and the yellow one in the Leonard Weis Set eraIV. I like those plug in telex couplers so will get somemore & when the Train Dr has finished my M379800 V290 conversion to telex, sounds and double "A" light function, using one of the new M decoders which we are waiting on. Smile I'll give him the M36800 to have a crack at, might let him off without the sounds in that one Sneaky BigGrin
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 31 October 2011 11:17:16(UTC)
H0

I believe there was some Zinc pest issues with those early Koff's.
AFAIK only(*) the 36805 is affected - Märklin's first Köf II after the co-operation with Brawa.
See also:
https://www.marklin-user...04_Zinkpest-is-back.aspx

(*) "only" with respect to the Köf II class
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage