Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline glight1  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2011 04:29:58(UTC)
glight1

United States   
I bought a BR 38 P8 Loco from ebay. I tried to run it last night on my C track but it did not register on my MS 2. No flashing MFX. I then tried to find it in the database. 37030 and 37032 show up but no 37031.
I realize that this is an older model, 2006 I think, but it does indicate that it is a MFX Lok. I tried the 'find Loco' function but alas, nothing. I tried to enter it manually but no luck.

Am I missing a step or did the ebay seller send me a defective Loco? Mad.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Offline supermoee  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2011 10:08:25(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

the database is not showing it up because mfx locos have no need to be shown there. Normally they should register by themselves.

You have a chance to check on other mobile stations maybe at friend or dealer? Maybe check in analogic modus if at least the loc is running?

Without check it is difficult to find the cause. If all your other mfx are registering themselve without problems, than the problem is the locodecoder.

rgds

Stephan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by supermoee
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2011 11:01:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: glight1 Go to Quoted Post

Sometimes mfx locos do not register with the MS2. I don't know why and I don't know how to fix it.

As Stephan suggested, try a different "controller" (digital with or without mfx or analogue), then try the MS2 again.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 16 August 2011 11:17:43(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
I bought a BR 38 P8 Loco from ebay. I tried to run it last night on my C track but it did not register on my MS 2. No flashing MFX. I then tried to find it in the database. 37030 and 37032 show up but no 37031.
I realize that this is an older model, 2006 I think, but it does indicate that it is a MFX Lok. I tried the 'find Loco' function but alas, nothing. I tried to enter it manually but no luck.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Maybe it's a simple thing: would you possibly have exceeded the number of locos your MS can register?
Try removing one or two and try again?
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline glight1  
#5 Posted : 16 August 2011 16:12:08(UTC)
glight1

United States   
As I am fairly new to Marklin I have only one other MFX Loco and it operates perfectly.

If the problem is with the decoder I guess I can replace it and add sound while I am at it.
Is this a difficult operation?

However, this would equal what I spent on the loco.
Offline Nielsenr  
#6 Posted : 16 August 2011 22:47:20(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Gary,

In the July/August Digital Newslatter, Dr Tom Catherall had a piece on registering MFX locos. The main point was to NOT register an MFX loco on a programming track with a CS2. He believes it has to do with how they test at the factory. He did some testing due to a lot of people asking questions (I was one of them). He was able to replicate the problem. Most of his discussion had to do with registering on a CS2 but he did mention if you had a problem it would not register on a MS2.

I found out an my own and Dr Tom confirmed it, that you can try running the loco in analog and then it should register. Don't know if this will help you, but if you have an analog power pack available you should give it a try.

Good Luck!!

Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Nielsenr
Offline Piggy  
#7 Posted : 17 August 2011 02:33:16(UTC)
Piggy

Australia   
I had same problem when I was buying the Glasstrain last year, it couldn't register in shop when I wanted to test it on a MS2, I think we got it going by resetting the MS2. At home I had no problems with my CS1 reloaded.
Regards
Kenneth
CS1 update - K & C tracks - German Era 3B & 4, with some Swiss and Austrian visitors. - My Layout
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Piggy
Offline glight1  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2011 04:09:38(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Thanks all. I really appreciate the information. This forum is very helpful to a Marklin rookie like me. I rarely post because of
my lack of experience and knowledge but check this site daily.

I will take the loco to my local shop and see if the owner can run it analog.

Thanks again!
Offline Nielsenr  
#9 Posted : 17 August 2011 04:31:47(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
My dealer had a problem with a Glasstrain also which was for another customer. He told me of the problem so I brought in my CS2 and it wouldn't register. We ran it analog and then put it back on the CS2 and it registered. I have personally had maybe three or four mfx locos that wouldn't register on a programming track. After making sure they ran when an analog signal was applied, they all were recognized afterwards by the CS2. Following Dr Tom's suggestion, I no longer use a programming track to register mfx locos.

Robert
Offline ac jacko  
#10 Posted : 17 August 2011 06:33:47(UTC)
ac jacko

Thanks all. I really appreciate the information. This forum is very helpful to a Marklin rookie like me. I rarely post because of
my lack of experience and knowledge but check this site daily.

I will take the loco to my local shop and see if the owner can run it analog.

Thanks again!

Let us know how you got on with the Loco
Offline anthpao  
#11 Posted : 17 August 2011 20:40:02(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
I don't think that this is a decoder's malfunction, but Mobile's Station 2 and Central Station's 2. I have exactly the same problem with ESU Lokpilot 3 M4 and Loksound 3 M4. When I use Lockprogrammer to program the decoder, if I do NOT test the decoder after the programming and put it on the track the MS 2 does not recognize it. If after the programming I test the decoder with the Lokprogrammer in virtual cab mode and then I put it on the track, the decoder register itself normally. Mobile Station 1 didn;t have this problem.

By the way some times it is impossible for the MS 2 to program the decoders. When I try to change the address of a decoder, when I press OK then I can see the lights of the locomotive blinks several times. This tells me that the decoder accepted the new value. But when I change MAX or MIN speed, ACC or DEC then the lights only blinks once and the new values stay only in the mobile station, the decoder's values don't change.
I didn't have any of these problems with MS1.

I think I will buy ESU ECOS II instead of Central Station II.
Offline darryl123  
#12 Posted : 18 August 2011 03:55:02(UTC)
darryl123

try to set the address for 38 that is the factory address for the loco.
Offline applor  
#13 Posted : 18 August 2011 04:24:32(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I had this problem with a starter set V160 MFX loco once. Would not register on the CS2 or a MS1.

Ended up trying it with a 6021 controller and punching in the programmed address - loco worked.

Put the loco back on the track with CS2 and then it registered with MFX no problem.

Weird.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 18 August 2011 10:26:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: darryl123 Go to Quoted Post
try to set the address for 38 that is the factory address for the loco.
That's the MM address of this loco - and the MM address is ignored if an mfx controller is used.

It can help running this loco with its MM address (but MS2 can't do it), with another mfx controller, or in analogue mode.
It can even help to leave the loco on the shelve for several days (weeks?) before you try again.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline darryl123  
#15 Posted : 18 August 2011 19:14:59(UTC)
darryl123

hi
if you cant get it working let me know i think i am the seller and i have a second one to change it with.
Offline darryl123  
#16 Posted : 22 August 2011 21:05:53(UTC)
darryl123

hi glight
i got the 37031 back and set it on the track and it was recognized by the cs2 as 2458 p 8
and runs great. what are you using the ms i will try it on that next.
darryl123 attached the following image(s):
SANY0099.JPG
Offline jeehring  
#17 Posted : 22 August 2011 23:38:51(UTC)
jeehring

As I am fairly new to Marklin I have only one other MFX Loco and it operates perfectly.

If the problem is with the decoder I guess I can replace it and add sound while I am at it.
Is this a difficult operation?

However, this would equal what I spent on the loco.

Please verify which version of MS2 software you got....
The last version must be V 1.5 . One of the problems of earlier versions was also about the list.....you couldn't add MFX loco easily...

To update your MS2 you have to plug your MS2 into a CS2 ( you don't need any PC)
The update is done automatically, just look at the MS2 screen , he will tell you everything, you don't have to do anything. Only plug it.
Offline jeehring  
#18 Posted : 22 August 2011 23:40:36(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post

I would like to cancel this message, but I can't....Sad
Offline darryl123  
#19 Posted : 23 August 2011 00:35:07(UTC)
darryl123

hi
i tried the mobile station and it works on that to, also detected as 2458 p 8 . could yours have a problem?
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 23 August 2011 10:20:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: darryl123 Go to Quoted Post
i tried the mobile station and it works on that to, also detected as 2458 p 8 . could yours have a problem?

It was the recommended "cure" to try the loco with a different controller, then with the MS2 again.
Sometimes a certain loco will not register with a certain MS2 - the MS2 works with other locos the and the loco works with other controllers (and I don't know who to blame).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline glight1  
#21 Posted : 23 August 2011 18:17:19(UTC)
glight1

United States   
Well, the ebay seller, a visitor to this forum, saw my post and offered to exchange the original 37031 with another 37031. I recieved it last night and it works just fine. It runs smooth and I am happy.BigGrin

Thanks darryl123

Gary