Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Drongo  
#1 Posted : 31 July 2011 13:33:12(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Everyone,

This problem is driving me insane and what little hair I have left is fast disappearing. It's going to be difficult to explain in words, so I'll try and be brief.

I use C track with CS2, 3 MS1's and 2 boosters. The layout is setup on 3 tables, all are electrically isolated so that the CS2 powers one table and the 2 boosters power the other 2 tables. This is all as per instructions by Marklin and everything has worked for a number of months. Suddenly, I have an overload problem occurring. I have isolated the problem to one table. When this table is powered, there is a buzzing noise that runs through the tracks and after a few seconds the CS2 overloads. I have placed a multimeter on this table when there is no power I it indicates that the circuit is good - a reading of 0.002. On this table I have a turntable. This is the interesting or frustrating factor. The table is disconnected from any power, yet when I plug the turntable to the "OFF" transformer, the CS2 goes into overload. There is no power to the turntable just the wires connected to an unpowered transformer.

WHY ????? Cursing Cursing Cursing

Can anyone please help before I look like Kojack!!!!!

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 31 July 2011 13:54:07(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Greg,sounds,no pun intended,that you have a short.

Dr D
Offline Piggy  
#3 Posted : 31 July 2011 13:58:24(UTC)
Piggy

Australia   
Hi Greg, have you tried to the turntable bridge to position where it is NO connected to any track?
Regards
Kenneth
CS1 update - K & C tracks - German Era 3B & 4, with some Swiss and Austrian visitors. - My Layout
Offline arconell  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2011 14:00:41(UTC)
arconell

Hi Greg,

the transformer powers the turntable motor I suppose? That indicates a short between the motor connections of the turntable and (one of the) the track sections. The transformer even when off, closes the circuit of this short through its secondary windings.

Good luck, Robert
Offline Fredrik  
#5 Posted : 31 July 2011 14:04:48(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi Greg,

how did you connect the turntable? Be careful, I made an incorrect connection of my turntable and blowed the booster-stage of the CS2...

The pdf linked below is available from the Märklin-FAQ:

Click here: http://www.railnet.se/pics/Turntable_CS2.pdf

It should show the correct way to connect, and you should off-curse be able to substitute the CS2 with a booster (60173/4). If you use 601x-type boosters, again watch it. It can create unexpected ground connections!!!
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Drongo  
#6 Posted : 31 July 2011 14:25:43(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Piggy Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg, have you tried to the turntable bridge to position where it is NO connected to any track?

Hi Kenneth, This will rock your sox - yes I have tried when it in a no track connection position and something it overloads and sometimes it doesn't - that's in the same position !!

Hi Robert, Yes the transformer powers the turntable motor. In an earlier thread I was advised to install a small piece of plastic inside the turntable inserts, this was to prevent any shorting.

Hi Fredrik, The turntable is NOT connected directly to the CS2 - I'm using the small unit that came with the turntable to turn the turntable, so this diagram is not relevant.

I hope these answers shed some light.

Regards
Greg
p.s. how do I insert more than one "quote" ? The more I do the more problems I encounter . . .

Offline arconell  
#7 Posted : 01 August 2011 01:34:16(UTC)
arconell

Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Piggy Go to Quoted Post

Hi Robert, Yes the transformer powers the turntable motor. In an earlier thread I was advised to install a small piece of plastic inside the turntable inserts, this was to prevent any shorting.

Hi Greg,

These inserts would have nothing to do with the problem you described. As you said, the overload occurs when the transformer is hooked up to the turntable drive motor but not powered. The transformer doesn´t have any connection to the CS2 or the tracks. But hooked up as you described, the CS2 overloads. Therefore, at that moment there is an electrical connection established between transformer and tracks. It doesn´t overload immediately however but after a short while. The reason for that is the resistance of the secondary transformer coil, i.e. the coil to which the turntable is connected. To put it simply, there is a connection from say, the outer rail, through one wire of the transformer turntable connection, through the sec. coil, the other wire of the turntable connection and finally to the center studs of the track.
So either: A- you accidentally swapped the wires of turntable-rail connections with the turntable motor connections or B- a short occurs between these 2 sets of wires. Make sure you can rule out A first. As for B the most likely place for that to occur is where all the wires connect to the center shaft of the bridge. Each wire ends on a pickup shoe running against a circular metal ring at the end of the center shaft. To get to them lift out the center piece on the bridge, underneath there is a metal shaft secured by a spring washer. Sideways pull the spring washer out of its groove, take out the 2 inserts on both sides of the bridge and lift out the bridge. Check the pickup shoes and the rings and make sure they are clean and that there are no funny deposits on the plastic surfaces between the rings.

Then proceed to measure the resistance values between the rings, checking which ring is connected to the drive motor and which ones are connected to the tracks, by checking their corresponding pickup shoe and wire.

Most likely you will have found the cause of the problem by now.

Ps: You said you put a multimeter to the table (i.e. between rail and center studs?) where the problem occurs, it reads 0,002 .. Ohms or even kOhms? If so, that is a short circuit. With nothing on the tracks the meter should read infinite resistance, usually a 1 on the left of a digital display.

Regards, Robert
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 01 August 2011 01:56:19(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Robert for the detail answer. I will give this a try in the next day or so.

Regards
Greg
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2011 11:26:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks Robert for the detail answer. I will give this a try in the next day or so.

Regards
Greg

As with any troubleshooting, "divide and conquer".

If I read your original posting correctly, this setup used to work just fine - is that correct?

If so, then the first thing to determine is what is different now, to how it was then.

Either you have made an alteration (deliberate or in error) that has caused the fault, or something unknown has happened.

It appears the problem came on quite suddenly, so do you recall if this was after installing or altering some other aspect of the layout? - thinking back might provide some clues and don't dismiss anything no matter how unrelated it might seem at first.

The old saying goes when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable must be the truth (or something like that).

If the problem came on out of the blue with absolutely no alteration made by you, then something has happened that you are unaware of.

In this case, I would be looking at something that has worked loose, some foreign object caught in the track (the smallest fragment of wire in a turnout frog or blade will be all it takes and you may not even be able to see it - have you done a brush and vacuum of the track?

Maybe this will help?

Good luck

I'd offer to come help troubleshoot but it's a bit of a drive.

Crying

Cookee
Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Drongo  
#10 Posted : 03 August 2011 11:24:50(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks everyone for your advice. I haven't done anything to the track as yet, because of "other" things in my life - like babysitting grandchildren, computer problems, etc. I have booked Friday for the investigation with the assistance of a friend, so probably Friday night will bring news - GOOD news I hope.

Regards
Greg

p.s. Cookee, don't drive - fly Flapper Flapper
Offline Drongo  
#11 Posted : 05 August 2011 08:37:40(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Well whatever hair I had left on my head has been pulled out. Cursing Cursing

We disconnected just about everything and we found that the wires coming from the old style booster (6017) were causing the overload. I have a 60174 booster which powers another table, so we disconnected it from the table and connected it to the trouble table. Everything worked !!! Even the turntable - no problems. So, we reset the track that had been disturbed by the rectification work, then turned everything on - and then - OVERLOAD Cursing Cursing .

I tested the power on the tracks with a multimeter. Table 1, which is powered by the CS2 was showing 16 volts through the tracks. Table 2 which is powered by the 60174 booster, was showing 32 volts !!!!!! I not not if this is good, nevertheless, none of the turnouts on table 2 work now !!!!Cursing Cursing

If anyone has a direct answer I would greatly appreciate it - otherwise, I'm going to give it a rest for a few days, so my nerves calm down. Mad Mad

Bugger !!!!

Regards
Greg
Offline nevw  
#12 Posted : 05 August 2011 08:59:37(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
I think that if show 32 Volts that one of the isolators is not isolating and gtting double voltage,

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Drongo  
#13 Posted : 05 August 2011 09:30:03(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Nev, I thought of that too, however, in this particular case, I have ripped the "tongues" out of the track, just to make sure that the tracks are isolated, i.e. none of those little orange "thingies" inserted.

Greg
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 05 August 2011 09:45:08(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You need to get back to the position where you say everything worked, and then add one section of track at a time, testing it as you go. Eventually you will find the bit that's causing the problem.

I have many years of experience with trouble-shooting electrical and electronics problems, and the secret is to be very methodical. Sometimes you have to pull all the wires off and start again, one at a time! Add a section, power it up, test that everything works, power down, connect another section, and so on.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Drongo  
#15 Posted : 05 August 2011 10:05:32(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
You need to get back to the position where you say everything worked, and then add one section of track at a time, testing it as you go. Eventually you will find the bit that's causing the problem.

I have many years of experience with trouble-shooting electrical and electronics problems, and the secret is to be very methodical. Sometimes you have to pull all the wires off and start again, one at a time! Add a section, power it up, test that everything works, power down, connect another section, and so on.

Yes, Ray. I know to do this, however, the size of the task is very daunting. After today's success then failure, it has left me a little deflated, and I need to raise my level of confidence again. I think I'll let it go for awhile, and then start afresh taking everything off one by one and then assembling back one by one.

Regards
Greg
Offline arconell  
#16 Posted : 05 August 2011 13:22:52(UTC)
arconell

Hi Greg,

first of all track voltage readings with a multimeter are highly unreliable because of the nature and frequency of the digital voltage. However, I suppose your CS2 and the 6017 and 60174 are powered by seperate transformers. What you should do is check that all transformers are fed
A- through the same mains phase if you have a 3-phase mains system
B- have the same polarity, check using this trick:

"Attention should be paid to the polarity (phase ) of the transformers. This can be done by connecting both brown outlets, and when one then briefly connects the yellow ones, no short-circuit should be observed."*
Rather crude, but you can also measure if there is a AC voltage between the yellow wires instead. If there is, reverse one of the transformer mains plugs in its socket.
*Copied from Dr Koenig here:
http://home.arcor.de/dr....nig/digital/ebooster.htm

Good luck, Robert
Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 05 August 2011 14:33:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Greg,

most the time there is a simple explanation for all of this, good thinking, let it rest for a while and than when you get back it stares you right in the face.

Ray' solution is very promising but in my case getting rid of every wire under the board would take a week to remove and a month to re-instate.

Your problem lies with the boosters 6017 versus 60174 the connecting cable has to be reversed or upside down,

regards.,

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Drongo  
#18 Posted : 05 August 2011 14:49:30(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Greg,

most the time there is a simple explanation for all of this, good thinking, let it rest for a while and than when you get back it stares you right in the face.

Ray' solution is very promising but in my case getting rid of every wire under the board would take a week to remove and a month to re-instate.

Your problem lies with the boosters 6017 versus 60174 the connecting cable has to be reversed or upside down,

regards.,

John

John,

I think you're right. Just to be sure - the 2 wires that come out of the CS2 to the track are both red - but one has a brown stripe. Which is the active - the red only or the red/brown. Also, which side of the plug do they go into? The same questions for the booster 60174.

Greg
Offline Renato  
#19 Posted : 05 August 2011 18:52:14(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Originally Posted by: arconell Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg,

first of all track voltage readings with a multimeter are highly unreliable because of the nature and frequency of the digital voltage. However, I suppose your CS2 and the 6017 and 60174 are powered by seperate transformers. What you should do is check that all transformers are fed
A- through the same mains phase if you have a 3-phase mains system
B- have the same polarity, check using this trick:

"Attention should be paid to the polarity (phase ) of the transformers. This can be done by connecting both brown outlets, and when one then briefly connects the yellow ones, no short-circuit should be observed."*
Rather crude, but you can also measure if there is a AC voltage between the yellow wires instead. If there is, reverse one of the transformer mains plugs in its socket.
*Copied from Dr Koenig here:
http://home.arcor.de/dr....nig/digital/ebooster.htm

Good luck, Robert

Hi,

I do not think this applies to the transformers powering boosters, as the boosters themselves have electronic circuits inside them, designed to give the correct digital signal independently from the plug position inside the mains socket (+/-180°).
It is important to check the polarity of the transformers in analog operation to control two separate circuit tracks to avoid short circuits made by the pickup shoe passing over the insulation between the two circuit tracks.

Bye

Renato
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 05 August 2011 22:06:54(UTC)
H0

Hi all!
Attention should be paid to the polarity (phase ) of the transformers.

This may have an effect with the old technology (e.g. 6021, 6017), but it has no effect with the new devices that use bridge rectifiers internally (any MS, CS, booster 60173/4 etc.).

Greg, there should be one red and one brown cable going from CS2 to the track. The brown/red wire counts as brown here (imperfectly manufactured). Brown to the outer rails, red to the centre rail.
Brown can be used for a common ground, so red would be the "active" cable.

Don't swap red and brown in track connections or turnout decoders will not work.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#21 Posted : 06 August 2011 13:22:23(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi all!
Attention should be paid to the polarity (phase ) of the transformers.

This may have an effect with the old technology (e.g. 6021, 6017), but it has no effect with the new devices that use bridge rectifiers internally (any MS, CS, booster 60173/4 etc.).

Greg, there should be one red and one brown cable going from CS2 to the track. The brown/red wire counts as brown here (imperfectly manufactured). Brown to the outer rails, red to the centre rail.
Brown can be used for a common ground, so red would be the "active" cable.

Don't swap red and brown in track connections or turnout decoders will not work.

Tom, you have done it again !!!!Laugh Laugh You have solved my problem once more. Last time I said you were a genius - well I think you're more than that. To tell you the truth, I'm really dumb by having the wires on the wrong terminals - nearly as dumb as Marklin who have 2 red wires that connect to the track from the CS2. Anyway, Tom thanks again. BigGrin BigGrin

Regards
Greg

Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 06 August 2011 21:02:49(UTC)
H0

To tell you the truth, I'm really dumb by having the wires on the wrong terminals

Welcome to the club. Took me some time to find that I had managed to swap those two wires - all locos worked, only one failed.

Murphy's Law was coined after NASA used symmetric plugs for asymmetric sensors.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Drongo  
#23 Posted : 07 August 2011 12:43:21(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
In my moment of joy of having my layout returned to normal, I forgot to tell everyone who tried to help me, what I found was the cause to my problem. The problem was the connection from the booster to the track at the track. I don't know exactly why, but when I disconnected the two clips, all the problems went away - even the problem with the turntable. So, the turntable was not faulty at all, and not even the transformer that powered the turntable motor. The only bad thing that happened to the equipment, was that the booster (6017) will not communicate with the CS2. I'm going to replace the booster with the newer 60174. Now the baffling part of this story, is that I reconnected the tracks at the same position with a 60174 booster and when I had the wires the correct way 'round, everything worked. The only conclusion I can come to, is that 6017 booster was faulty. If nothing happens in the future then the booster is the fault and it will be BOOTED !!! Flapper Flapper

I hope this is the end of this problem and if it is, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank those who tried to help, as every bit of information contributed to solving the problem. You don't know how close I came to ripping everything up and starting all over again - 3 years of work. My grandson, who turns 3 next week, also thanks you. I can't wait for him to be old enough to tell me how to fix everything. Laugh Laugh Laugh

Regards
Greg
Offline nelson77  
#24 Posted : 13 August 2011 16:32:42(UTC)
nelson77

Hello Youngagain,
When I first started building my layout two years ago I had a lot of problems with shorts. After tearing up a lot of track several times due to shorts or bad pieces of tracks I decided to isolate every 2 meters of track. I use a toggle switch underneath the layout switch out the center rail. When I have a short I only have to trouble shoot a small section of track. I use magnets on loks to control reeds. Some time these magnets will pick up a staple or some type of metal and leave it somewhere on the layout. Now I can usually find the problem in about 15 minutes.
Thanks
Nelson77