Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dan67millie  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:06:44(UTC)
dan67millie

Hi can anyone help me with what appears to be a problem with a transformer for my mobile station one. It apears it doas not work and my mobile station will not work therefore!. can i use a normal Marklin anolouge transformer to work it or do i have to get a new one ie 66181.
Offline supermoee  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:11:34(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello,

if I remember correctly, the MS1 needs DC, so you cannot use an AC transformer.

rgds

Stephan
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:13:07(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Isn't there a bridge rectifier in the "ugly box"?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline 60904  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:31:08(UTC)

Germany   
Originally Posted by: dan67millie Go to Quoted Post
Hi can anyone help me with what appears to be a problem with a transformer for my mobile station one. It apears it doas not work and my mobile station will not work therefore!. can i use a normal Marklin anolouge transformer to work it or do i have to get a new one ie 66181.

According to the manual you may also use a normal transformer with 16 Volts output.
Greetings
Martin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 60904
Offline dan67millie  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:35:01(UTC)
dan67millie

Originally Posted by: 60904 Go to Quoted Post

According to the manual you may also use a normal transformer with 16 Volts output.

So i do i plug the yellow and brown wire into my mobile station conector box from my anolouge transformer! cheers Dan
Offline dan67millie  
#6 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:39:49(UTC)
dan67millie

So i do i plug the yellow and brown wire into my mobile station conector box from my 66470 anolouge transformer! cheers Dan
Offline anthpao  
#7 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:39:59(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
You can use any power transformer with stabilized DC output at 16V. Becareful with the amps the PSU supports, try one that has at least 2A current. Do not use AC plain transformer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by anthpao
Offline arconell  
#8 Posted : 27 July 2011 14:40:32(UTC)
arconell

Hi Dan,

The original MS1 transformer is a regular 16 V AC transformer. Regrettably made in China, at least the safety input and output boards inside. The input board is a simple triac current limiting/soft start device, the output board has a glass encapsulated bimetal safety (overheating) cut-out switch. It is usually the triac or the zener diode on the input board that dies after a while. Repair is easy, just drill out the 4 plastic plugs on the sides of the housing using a fitting drill (keep the drill perpendicular to the housing and you can´t damage anything inside). Pull the top half off the housing. You will see the 2 boards. To be sure, measure the resistance of both the primary and secondary transformer winding on the transformer itself. Measure the resistance across the pins of the output connector. Should be the same as on the sec. winding. If not, remove the output board and either replace the bimetal switch or do away with the board alltogether and connect the sec. directly to the output pins.

If the sec. side is OK, take out the input board and replace or repair it or connect the mains wires directly to the primary winding, doing away with the input board. If you can´t repair the boards yourself go to any electronic or radio/TV repair shop and ask them to do it for you, it won´t take more then 5 min and about 50 cts in replacement parts.

Regards, Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 27 July 2011 15:11:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

So i do i plug the yellow and brown wire into my mobile station conector box from my 66470 anolouge transformer! cheers Dan

Marklin supplied a cable for connecting a normal transformer to the connector box. I don't know the part number.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Darren W  
#10 Posted : 27 July 2011 17:35:13(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
My starter set came with a MS1 and a 16VAC transformer. It came with a power plug for the ugly box with stripped and tinned wires at the other end to connect to the push in connectors on the transformer. The ugly box does have a diode bridge rectifier in it to convert the AC to DC that the MS1 needs.

Cheers
Darren
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Darren W
Offline arconell  
#11 Posted : 27 July 2011 18:38:41(UTC)
arconell

Hi Darren,

Sorry to correct that, but no, it does not have such a rectifier or any rectifier for that matter. In case you opened it up you are probably confusing the triac on the input board with a bridge rectifier. Look closely at the pcb, it says triac in small white print and it has 3 pins instead of 4. You may also be confused with the rail connection box, which is almost literaly a tiny bare bones booster.

regards, Robert
Offline Purellum  
#12 Posted : 27 July 2011 19:10:28(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Arconell wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to correct that, but no, it does not have such a rectifier or any rectifier for that matter. In case you opened it up you are probably confusing the triac on the input board with a bridge rectifier. Look closely at the pcb, it says triac in small white print and it has 3 pins instead of 4. You may also be confused with the rail connection box, which is almost literaly a tiny bare bones booster.

Robert, you are dead-wrong:

The trafo has a Triac on the PCB; whereas the "uglybox" that Darren refers to has 4 diodes forming a bridge rectifier.

Since we are talking about a MS1 here, there is NO booster in the "Uglybox"/rail connection box.

And just to clarify: The MS1 works with both AC and DC.

UserPostedImage

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 27 July 2011 20:28:25(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: anthpao Go to Quoted Post
You can use any power transformer with stabilized DC output at 16V.

Almost, but not quite correct.

The 66181 power supply has a nominal output voltage of 18 V DC (it's not a transformer). Since it is not stabilized, you can measure 23 V output voltage without load.

As Per said, MS1 can be used with AC or DC. I recommend 16 V AC or 19 through 22 V DC (stabilized power supply recommend, better stick to 18 V DC with unstabilized supplies).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline arconell  
#14 Posted : 28 July 2011 00:24:54(UTC)
arconell

Hi Guys,

?? Well, I never realised Märklin had more than just 2 MS1 versions, the ones I know all have the 60 VA AC transformer 60052 (I think 60055 for 120V) in starter set guise and seperately available, difference being 1,2 vs 2Amp max rail output. I hadn´t looked at the article number for the transformer, assuming it would be the same that I have and which came with the 29811 starter set.
So what I described is for the 60052, which in my case had that same problem 2 years ago. After removing the inpüt PCB it is still in use. Obviously I am not familiar with the other sets or the 66181... and I still don´t know what an ugly box is, other than UPS delivery vans but I suppose that´s a bit beside the point :-)

Regards, Robert
Offline Darren W  
#15 Posted : 28 July 2011 03:04:57(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
Hi Robert,
The ugly box myself and others here are referring to is the 24088 C-track feeder.

UserPostedImage

We call it the ugly box because, well it is an ugly box strapped to the side of the track. It is more difficult to hide in a permanent layout. Using this box you can connect either a 16V AC power supply like the one that came with my starter set or a 18V DC power supply that came with some of the smaller sets. It contains the circuit board in Per's posting with the rectifier diodes.

Cheers
Darren
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Darren W
Offline dan67millie  
#16 Posted : 28 July 2011 14:02:41(UTC)
dan67millie

Originally Posted by: Darren W Go to Quoted Post
Hi Robert,
The ugly box myself and others here are referring to is the 24088 C-track feeder.

UserPostedImage

We call it the ugly box because, well it is an ugly box strapped to the side of the track. It is more difficult to hide in a permanent layout. Using this box you can connect either a 16V AC power supply like the one that came with my starter set or a 18V DC power supply that came with some of the smaller sets. It contains the circuit board in Per's posting with the rectifier diodes.

Cheers
Darren

Thankyou to everyone for your help. I have now got myself a replacement 66181 for £5 so i can get on and play trains! cheers Dan