Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2011 10:51:21(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
While "playing trains" last nite, I thought I would chnge the acc/dec, max and min speed settings on the V300 diesel - and the volume, mighty loud diesel rumble!!I must have upset some or other setting/s, because the loco would start/stop intermittantly, and also speed off at low speed settings!
I only had the diesel on the track at the time, and the "long" passenger coaches with interior lighting via pick-up shoes (Don't know if this could have muddled things up?)
Anyway, I removed the coaches, to be safe, did a factory reset on the MS2, and all is well again.....just wondered what I did wrong....maybe a "clash" combination of min/max speed settings or dec/acc settings?
I've left it a the factory settings for now, except the volume! The FD says it sounds as if the Diesel's coming thru the lounge any minute, and she can't hear her fave soapie properly!
Any thoughts anyone?....don't want to mess things up again!!
(I did reset the acc/dec settings on the BR23 a while ago, with no ill-effects. The loco handbook actually states that the max speed setting should not be changed, as this would upset the running characteristics of the loco - maybe the same goes for the V300?)
thanks, Joe
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2011 11:07:49(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Just re-program the decoder and see what the result is, you can't do any damage to it.
I've had this with ESU decoders, whereas the light didn't come on and like you haven't done anything abnormal.

Reset it and everything was fine again.
It is a bit of a worry, you may think you've ruined the decoder.

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2011 11:29:19(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks John - do you think I should "delete" the loco from the MS2, and "start from fresh" again? Would this set everything back to the origonal settings again?
Altho, after the "re-set" last nite, everthing is working fine again.
Joe
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2011 11:43:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Joe. IF everything is now working as it should then leave well alone. I dont have an MS2 but I use the programme track for any changes I make. Not really necessary but I have not had any bother.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2011 14:28:14(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Thanks John - do you think I should "delete" the loco from the MS2, and "start from fresh" again? Would this set everything back to the origonal settings again?
Altho, after the "re-set" last nite, everthing is working fine again.
Joe

I see the MS2 also has a "factory default reset"....what does this do as opposed to just the re-set key? Not that I'm about to try.....as Dave suggests: leave well alone!

JoeScared
Offline arconell  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2011 15:19:42(UTC)
arconell

Hi Joe,

The factory default reset brings the MS2 back into the factory default settings, i.e. it looses everything, like the loco´s and their addresses and the choices of protocols and language you have made yourself. But I presume when you said "Altho, after the "re-set" last nite, everthing is working fine again." you meant a decoder reset, not a MS2 reset?

Anyway, the problem was most likely caused by your coaches, certainly if the lighting fixtures of these coaches were fitted with capacitors. When programming loco decoders always make sure that literally nothing else is on the track. Best practice is to use an insulated piece of track with a separate connection to the programming station (i.e. your MS2) and no connection of that station to the remainder of the tracks. i.e. use 2 sets of rail connections and swap them accordingly.

Regards, Robert
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by arconell
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 13 July 2011 15:24:26(UTC)
H0

Hi, Joe!

I think you did nothing wrong.

It seems that mfx doesn't have error detection during transmission, so sometimes incorrect values are written to some registers. I've also had this, did a decoder reset and tried the programming again - successfully this time.
Lighted coaches on the track could have a negative effect, but theoretically it should work.

So reset and retry is the way to go ...

With an MS2 you can reset the decoder and you can reset the MS2 (clears the loco list).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 13 July 2011 22:12:10(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks Robert and Tom - yes, I did the decoder re-set, and all is back to normal again. Good idea to have that insulated piece of track.....tonite I set the acc/dec values to my preference,and volume, to the BR23 and after that I did the V300 (actually ML 2200 'C'C!), and this time all worked a treat....thanks guys
Joe

Edited by user 14 July 2011 11:08:25(UTC)  | Reason: spelling change