Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 10 May 2011 19:19:00(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
A strange phenomenon has crept into my newly purchased start set - occasionally the lights on the little tank loco (cl 81) will flicker when coming down the straight, (doesn't seem to flicker on the curves!?) and at times it will suddenly stop momentarily when the flickering gets bad, and then start going again almost immediately at the same speed. This only occurs at medium to fast speeds - at a crawl there is no flickering and the little loco is quite superb at slow speeds.
any thoughts??.....(All on brand new C track from the set).....
Joe
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2011 02:03:38(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Joe, sounds like dirty track to me. You will have a certain amount of rust albeit minor due to your location, but just run one of those very fine sanding block over the center rail & you should see big improvement. I too live on the coast & suffer same problem.
D.A.Banks
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Online David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2011 11:09:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I use a Roco rubber which is great (or any other make I expect will be just as good.) Run it over the centre and outside rails and then I use a small car vaccum to pick up any dust (or bits of rubber) This keeps C track in good condition. There always will be bits of dirt etc on the rails from time to time which will cause running problems but is easlily put right.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2011 11:31:14(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks guys - i do have the roco rubber, and the rails are indeed clean - considering its kinda still brand new anyway! But the plot thickens - on a few occasions recently, at odd times, turning the MS speed knob anti-clock from medium speed, suddenly the loco will increase speed at a rapid rate, (the "bars" on the MS will show almost max speed), and then when I just touch the knob to slow it down, the loco will then slow down to a very slow speed.....could there be a fault with the MS, or is it some electronic gremlin in the loco.....
Joe
Offline Dave Banks  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2011 12:30:37(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Joe, I think it is time to get either a Central Station /latest version mobile station or an ESU Ecos. If you have the original mobile station & it is still working you are still in the running. Most of the old one's did funny things like you are experiencing & I thing there are a lot that saw file No.13 very early in the piece.
D.A.Banks
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2011 12:37:10(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Joe,

I still think you have contact problems. The fact that you get smooth running in curves but jerky on the straights is very typical for this.

If the track is indeed clean, then you might have dirty wheels or axles on your loco. I get good results by putting a small drop of WD40 or similar on each loco axle. The hesitant running then disappears straight away. You must be careful not to overdo it though.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2011 12:40:19(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
Joe, I think it is time to get either a Central Station /latest version mobile station or an ESU Ecos. If you have the original mobile station & it is still working you are still in the running. Most of the old one's did funny things like you are experiencing & I thing there are a lot that saw file No.13 very early in the piece.

I have the new MS2...just received it a week or so ago....
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2011 12:47:22(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe,

I still think you have contact problems. The fact that you get smooth running in curves but jerky on the straights is very typical for this.

If the track is indeed clean, then you might have dirty wheels or axles on your loco. I get good results by putting a small drop of WD40 or similar on each loco axle. The hesitant running then disappears straight away. You must be careful not to overdo it though.

Thanx Ray - the loco is brand new, so there is no dirt on the wheels or axles - I wasn't sure whether I should oil anything, as I thought it would have the necessary lubrication from the factory?
Its not so much jerky running on the straights, as a matter of fact it quite smooth running, even at crawl speeds, its the lights that flicker quite badly at times, and then the momentary stop n go kicks in....I will check the wheels tho.....
Joe
Online David Dewar  
#9 Posted : 11 May 2011 23:25:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
If the lights flicker and the loco jerks at the same time then it does look like you are losing power.
Is it at the same part of the track that it happens. Does this happen with other locos or just one.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 12 May 2011 12:23:03(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
If the lights flicker and the loco jerks at the same time then it does look like you are losing power.
Is it at the same part of the track that it happens. Does this happen with other locos or just one.

dave

The flickering is mainly on the straights - but does occasionally happen on the curves also. If the flickering gets very bad, more at higher speeds than at low speed, the loco will momentarily stop, and then go again...
"But herewith the plot thickens even more.....!!"
Went to my friend last nite-he has the same start set-and my loco did exactly the same on his layout-the lights flicker like crazy, and the loco will stop start at low/medium speeds. Put on his loco to test, and no flickering at all.
Just to make sure, we tested my MS2, power box, and connection box on his loco and layout and everything ran perfectly. Put my loco back on track, and the flickering lights are back with a vengeance.
After probably an hour or so of testing and running my loco (and his) with both the MS2's over his whole layout (he has a very large set up, with only one feeder connection), we suddenly noticed there was no more flickering on my loco....
So off I dashed home, set up my MS2, and lo and behold no flickering - I had brought his loco home as well, to test it on my set up, and also no flickering....
Was/is there a loose connection somewhere in my loco, causing the flickering, but now has rectified itself??....will it come back again??.....I love my model trains....things would be so boring without it!!
as always, thanx for reading/listening
Joe
Online David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 12 May 2011 16:51:24(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Joe. Could be a loose connection but if at present all is working then just leave well alone.
I still think more likely there has been some dirt on the wheels or slider which by more continued running has been cured. Even if a loco is new it does not mean that oil etc has not hardened or that there is dirt or small obstruction on the wheels or slider. Also the slider may not be aligned properly.
As time goes on you will obtain all this info yourself which I think is part of the hobby but meanwhile the forum has a lot of great guys who will help.

dave
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Johnvr  
#12 Posted : 12 May 2011 16:52:40(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Joe,

I am relieved to hear this !

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 12 May 2011 18:04:34(UTC)
H0

Hi, Joe,

Maybe it was too much oil in the axle bearings, maybe it was the blackening of the wheels (I've heard blackened wheels may have contact problems at the beginning).

Either way: it's likely the flickering problem was solved for good.

I have one M* train that flickers like mad when it stood still for a long time. It's fine after some running-in - and then it's still OK the day after.
I suspect it's the oil problem, but I didn't clean it yet. It works fine after some running-in, so I presume it's not a decoder problem.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#14 Posted : 12 May 2011 21:11:29(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
thanks everyone - all systems up n running! I suspect you are right with the bad contact scenario-could well have been the wheels/slider; now that's its "run in" so to speak, all is well.( My buddy Terry-also with the same starter set- says he had the same prob at first with his loco,but not as bad, and only for a short while).
thanks again to all the forum guys-so nice to know there is always help at hand!
Now I am waiting patiently for my 39230 to arrive from Lokshop-they're still waiting to get it from Marklin tho....!!
Can't wait........
Joe
Offline nevw  
#15 Posted : 13 May 2011 01:00:56(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Good Going Joe.
Remember all good things come to those who wait ........ and .....wait

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Dimi194  
#16 Posted : 13 May 2011 04:31:07(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
Good Going Joe.

NN

Yea, I'm waiting for the ICE 2 36711... been waiting since March 2010! Anyway, I have the 3099 converted to digital and its lights flicker too... sometimes the older locos flicker, but without problems life would be boring!Cool
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dimi194
Offline river6109  
#17 Posted : 13 May 2011 05:21:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I'm waiting for a very big parcel for quite some time: full of promises.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 13 May 2011 07:28:46(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Dimi194 Go to Quoted Post
I have the 3099 converted to digital and its lights flicker too... sometimes the older locos flicker

With some locos, lights flicker even while the train stands still (this is caused by inappropriate wiring); with other locos the flickering occurs only while the loco is running (contact problem at moving parts).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 13 May 2011 08:50:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I have the 3099 converted to digital and its lights flicker too... sometimes the older locos flicker

With some locos, lights flicker even while the train stands still (this is caused by inappropriate wiring); with other locos the flickering occurs only while the loco is running (contact problem at moving parts).

Yes, we must not get confused between the gentle flicker caused by using the chassis ground for the lights, and the flicker caused by bad contact when running.

The former is harmless, other than being mildly annoying when your attention is drawn to it. The latter is very detrimental to good running, and leads to jerky movements and even occasionally the loco stopping and needing a push to get going again!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#20 Posted : 13 May 2011 14:07:24(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
Good Going Joe.

NN

Yea, I'm waiting for the ICE 2 36711... been waiting since March 2010! Anyway, I have the 3099 converted to digital and its lights flicker too... sometimes the older locos flicker, but without problems life would be boring!Cool

...very deep observation for a young man....lol!!
Offline iTrainx  
#21 Posted : 30 August 2011 10:54:32(UTC)
iTrainx

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

Hi
I have a similar problem with a 37803 V200.
I have CS2 with latest software. M track.
When lights is turned off they flicker both when V200 stands still or is running...
If I turn lights on they work in only one end (front "1"), (not the F4)wich is the (back "2") , yes i know this loco have functions to turn on and off lights in each end.;-)
So to the most worrying part:
If i turn off lights in one end(F4)the train start to run slowly in pulse with the light flikering.

Motor is cleaned. Wheels are oiled. Sound is working.
No of my other locos does this.

I will make a video this weekend and upload to youtube.

It is an ebay buy and I have notified the seller.

Any ideas?

Br
Petter
Train on
Petter
"I am about to pick up my childhood hobby again because of the Marklin Mobile Station App on iPhone...;-)"
Offline Davy  
#22 Posted : 30 August 2011 13:59:39(UTC)
Davy

New c-track has a lot of time contact problems. There is then a thine film of residue on the track.

M-track with a CS2.
Online David Dewar  
#23 Posted : 30 August 2011 20:54:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Davy. I think he is using M track. If all other locos run OK then I would send it back for a refund.

dave
Offline AshleyH  
#24 Posted : 30 August 2011 23:17:24(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Sounds to me like this could be another case of a loco with the new type decoder needing to have a capacitor fitted.
Some recent 2011 releases have had the capacitor fitted, see the review of the Bluebird PA-1 set as an example.

The 37803 is the first non sinus V200 produced for some years, so Marklin may have goofed and not designed in a capacitor.
Offline H0  
#25 Posted : 31 August 2011 00:00:57(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: AshleyH Go to Quoted Post
The 37803 is the first non sinus V200 produced for some years

The 37803 was made from '97 through '99 and it came with a mouse-piano decoder (DIP switches).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline pa-pauls  
#26 Posted : 31 August 2011 20:22:32(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hy Petter BigGrin (iTrainX)

Why not take the 37803 with you tomorrow so we can test it on my layout ?

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline iTrainx  
#27 Posted : 31 August 2011 21:45:14(UTC)
iTrainx

Originally Posted by: pa-pauls Go to Quoted Post
Hy Petter BigGrin (iTrainX)

Why not take the 37803 with you tomorrow so we can test it on my layout ?

Super idea Pål. I will do that.
And I will take the iPad and iPhone with me so we can test this.
Will be funBigGrin
Train on
Petter
"I am about to pick up my childhood hobby again because of the Marklin Mobile Station App on iPhone...;-)"
Offline witzlerh  
#28 Posted : 29 February 2012 22:25:26(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
As a former manufacturer, I try to clean the manufacturing oils off the parts...but I am not always that thorough. Some manufacturing oils are also designed to protect the finished part from rusting too soon. Therefore the manufacturer only has to do a blow off or simple wipe to get the most off but not all of it.

I am not sure how Märklin deals with this issue but I suspect in your case, that the track and the locomotive had residual oils. These oils tend to be waxy in nature and may harden over time. As these oils only leave a very thin film, in the track's case. a good cleaning or wiping with some wood alchol will do. As for the loks, most of the time a long run will take care of it or in extream cases, a disassembly and thorough cleaning.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#29 Posted : 01 March 2012 19:47:36(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanx Harald - I also suspect it was "hardened oils" on the mew loco; after a goodly long spel of running on my buddy's layout all was well!.....and still is-the little tank loco is a real workhorse, with plenty of shunting duties!...altho my V90 (37906) is taking over a lot of the shunting duties of late, kinda cool working with the Telex!
I find that regular running of the little cleaning wagon 46042 over the layout works a treat to keep the track clean - as long as the pads are washed on a regular basis. It certainly stops the build up of the "black goo" that used to accumulate quite regularly!
Joe
Offline HARNO  
#30 Posted : 01 March 2012 20:56:03(UTC)
HARNO

United States   
HI

i got me the Marklin 37531 BR 120. Have the same issue with the lights and sudden stops and when the stops occur it kind makes a squawking sound. Put some oil on the axle and gears( not to much) and it went away for a couple rounds and then came back. I tried with my MS1 to slowly increase speed and see, when does it start. If i run it slowly up to half of the bars on the MS it works fine. After that it starts every now and then. I think its more like a contact problem. Probably i have to take it apart and give it a good clean and maybe a new pick up shoe