Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#1 Posted : 07 May 2011 15:22:28(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi,
I have the analog version of the Lux cleaning car, does anyone know how to convert it to digital? I have noticed that the heat diffusor gets very hot when I use it on the digital track and less hot on the analog track. I have try to convert it using an ESU lokpilot but the motor works very slow.
Any advise?

Regards
Eduardo
Offline arconell  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2011 13:04:14(UTC)
arconell

Hi eduardo,

Use a simple function decoder, such as also used for switching interior lights in coaches, do not use a loco decoder.
On analog the Lux motor runs at the (rectified) transformer voltage which is dependent on the speed of the loco pulling it, on digital it runs at 24V DC. Therefore you may want to use a function decoder with adjustable output so that you can adjust it to the optimum voltage for the Lux motor (usually a Faulhaber). Otherwise experiment with a couple of (5W) resistor values (somewhere between 15-30 Ohms) for the right voltage, there is plenty of room in the Lux for putting one in.

Regards, Robert

Ps: if you have a dedicated digital loco for the Lux you can use a function output of the loco decoder feeding the Lux thru a set of current carrying couplers. Also, if you need to use the Lux both in analog and digital, put in a toggle switch so as to switch between digital and analog operation. As mentioned the Lux motor compartment offers enough space to fit it all in.
Finally, you may contact Lux for their latest gadget, the speed sensor switch. I think it is separately available. It senses whether the Lux is moving or not and switches the motor on and off accordingly, for use in analog and digital mode. (not listed on their web page yet http://www.lux-modellbau.de)
Offline eduard71  
#3 Posted : 08 May 2011 18:21:37(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Originally Posted by: arconell Go to Quoted Post
Hi eduardo,

Thank you very much Robert,
I will work on your solution.
Best regards
Eduardo

Use a simple function decoder, such as also used for switching interior lights in coaches, do not use a loco decoder.
On analog the Lux motor runs at the (rectified) transformer voltage which is dependent on the speed of the loco pulling it, on digital it runs at 24V DC. Therefore you may want to use a function decoder with adjustable output so that you can adjust it to the optimum voltage for the Lux motor (usually a Faulhaber). Otherwise experiment with a couple of (5W) resistor values (somewhere between 15-30 Ohms) for the right voltage, there is plenty of room in the Lux for putting one in.

Regards, Robert

Ps: if you have a dedicated digital loco for the Lux you can use a function output of the loco decoder feeding the Lux thru a set of current carrying couplers. Also, if you need to use the Lux both in analog and digital, put in a toggle switch so as to switch between digital and analog operation. As mentioned the Lux motor compartment offers enough space to fit it all in.
Finally, you may contact Lux for their latest gadget, the speed sensor switch. I think it is separately available. It senses whether the Lux is moving or not and switches the motor on and off accordingly, for use in analog and digital mode. (not listed on their web page yet http://www.lux-modellbau.de)

Offline nevw  
#4 Posted : 08 May 2011 23:42:36(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Decoders are available from LUX for about 30 Euro .
I think the address is 78.
Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around