Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gregor  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2004 14:17:29(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi All,

I am about to convert the BR 18 (3518) and the S3/6 (3092) (same casting) . It's possible to squeeze the decoder in the boiler where the relay used to be, but it will almost touch the smoke generator. How hot does this generator get, and would it be a problem if the plastic decoder cover is in contact with the smoke generator ???

Gregor
Offline Guus  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2004 16:05:02(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Gregor,
I have a Märklin 72270 smoke unit which I tested outside the locomotive.I could touch it without getting burned,however the smoke production wasn't so spectacular[:(].After mounting it in my loco,a M37186 S3/6 the only thing that smoked for a little while [:(!][:(!]was a transistor in F1 function circuit[:0]
Hope you have more luck.

Best Regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Rocca  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2004 20:36:23(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi Gregor and Guus,

My 26750 S 3/6 for the Rheingold train had a lot of problem, when, in anologic mode, I have installed the smoke generator 72270: no smoke anyway!!! My loco is on guarantee and so reselles send it to Märklin!! I hope all well!!!

With best regards
Stefano
Offline Frostie  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2004 20:56:56(UTC)
Frostie

United States   
I have not had a lot of success with the 72270 smoke generator. I generally only use 7226 smoke generators, due to the improved output. After using the 7226, I only get disapointed with a 72270.

I am not an electronic guru, but would not install a decoder next to a smoke unit. There will be heat buildup inside the casing and being so close would probably damage your electronics.

Train Collection Insured by "Croc's" with "Big Boys" as Backup"
CS/MS Digital Era 1/2
Apple Man iPhone / Macbook Pro / iPad - the end of the windows PC occurred on April 4, 2010.
Love those Era 1 Tank Locomotives - the more the merrier.

Offline jaques  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2004 00:11:59(UTC)
jaques

I don't think it will damage the decoder, but it won't be healthy for it, so don't do it...wink I have another small question about the heat of the smoke generators: I'm planning to set one in my Belgian Type 81 (BR55 family), and the manual says Seuthe nr 20 for 0-16V AC, Seuthe nr 24 for Digital; does it make a difference? Does the nr 24 produce more heat, or more smoke?

Greets, Jonas
Offline Mikael  
#6 Posted : 08 November 2004 09:43:25(UTC)
Mikael

Denmark   
It sure does make a difference. I just got myself a BR55 saturday, and I wanted some smoke as well. The dealer just handed me a nr 20. I didn't think about it, but when I tried it on my digital layout, it smoked like I've never seen anything smoke before. It took 1-2 minutes, then I was sitting in one heck of a fog filled room.

Then I read the manual [:p]
The nr 24 is indeed for digital layouts, that are running at a somewhat higher voltage. It produces the same amount of smoke, as the nr 20 will do on a lower voltage.
Offline john black  
#7 Posted : 08 November 2004 10:20:07(UTC)
john black

United States   
You surely need a busy gang of Preisers cleaning that sticky smoke residue ... biggrin

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline jaques  
#8 Posted : 10 November 2004 20:53:45(UTC)
jaques

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Mikael
<br />It sure does make a difference. I just got myself a BR55 saturday, and I wanted some smoke as well. The dealer just handed me a nr 20. I didn't think about it, but when I tried it on my digital layout, it smoked like I've never seen anything smoke before. It took 1-2 minutes, then I was sitting in one heck of a fog filled room.

Then I read the manual [:p]
The nr 24 is indeed for digital layouts, that are running at a somewhat higher voltage. It produces the same amount of smoke, as the nr 20 will do on a lower voltage.

Well, that says enough, thanks!biggrin
Offline Guus  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2004 21:47:39(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi all,
After burning out my decoder I asked The Märklin factory directly whether I used the correct type of smoke generator or not. Here is their answer:

Bei Digital-Lokomotiven mit einem Mehrfunktionsdecoder, die in den
Produktbeschreibungen des Kataloges mti einem fx gekennzeichnet sind, wird
der konventionelle Raucheinsatz Art. 72270 (Seuthe Nr. 20) für alle
Betriebsarten eingesetzt, damit eine ausreichende Dampfentwicklung erfolgt.

Für Delta-Modelle und 37...-Triebfahrzeuge mit nur einer Sonderfunktion des
Decoders wird im Delta- und Digital-Betrieb der digitale Raucheinsatz Seuthe
Nr. 24 und im konventionellen Betrieb die Nr. 20 verwendet.

Diese Regelung gilt für alle Märklin-Lokomotiven.

Basicly what they say is:
Function models designated with fx in the catalogue need M 72270 or Seuthe nr.20 to ensure enough smoke and all other models 37... with only one function need the Seuthe Nr.24.
In conventional operation the Seuthe Nr. 20 is the one to install.

The technical reason behind this all, is that locomotives with switchable functions have their smoke units switched through the F1 function circuit which causes a certain voltage drop hence the more sensitive 72270 or Nr.20.All other loco's have their smoke unit permanently connected to the pickup.

So much for the theory[:p],but then why doesn't mine smokeconfused

My loco has been repaired and I'll keep you posted on my next try with the 72270.

Best Regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline Davy  
#10 Posted : 10 November 2004 21:56:02(UTC)
Davy

I have more then 10 locs with a smoke generators. They are great when they work and a disaster when they don't work. I think that I will buy no more smoke generators.
M-track with a CS2.