Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Max  
#1 Posted : 21 March 2011 04:27:27(UTC)
Max

Hi all,

I am slowly re-entering the Marklin HO world after many years. First, I am testing out a bunch of my locomotives on a very simple analog setup without a switch panel. I recently got a 3102 Big Boy but when tested it only runs backwards. Isn't there a switch or something inside the loco that makes it easy to change the direction? Also how can I tell if the loco is capable of being used in a digital setup? There isn't a manual or a manufacture date that I can tell, but the packaging looks to be late 70's--early 80's...

Thanks!

Max
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 21 March 2011 04:37:18(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Firstly, the 3102 is not a Big Boy. Rather, it is the German BR53 Mallet built by Borsig (or rather, started but never completed during WWII by Borsig). The Big Boy is a class 4000 American Steam loco built during the 1940's and used until the mid 1960's.

To answer your question, if the loco has a mechanical reversing relay, you can reverse the loco by hand by sliding the reversing lever - you need to open up the loco's tender to get access to the relay. If you have a Marklin AC transformer, the Loco is normally reversed by activating a momentary reversing pulse - you momentarily turn the transformer knob to the left past the '0' point, at which time you should hear the relay engage.

You can download a manual in pdf format for the 3102, as well as a parts diagram, from

http://www.maerklin.de/d...?page=1&perpage=1500

(just scroll down the page until you see 3102).

As to whether the loco is digital or not, the parts diagram shows the reversing relay is located in the tender of the loco. If the mechanical unit is still there, then it is analog, if there is an electronic circuit board there, it could have been converted to digital - some reversing units were electronic, they act similar to a mechanical relay.

Hopefully, whoever converted it would include some info about the conversion details, such as the loco's digital address. If not, put it on some track controlled by a Marklin digital controller, if the loco takes off at full speed, it is still analog. If it sits still, or maybe moves slowly, it has most likely been converted to digital. You would then need to find out what address it is using - you have a choice of 80 addresses. I would choose 53 to start off with.
Offline Max  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2011 13:12:05(UTC)
Max

Very useful info. Thank you for your help!
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2011 17:12:43(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Max,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ian555  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2011 19:01:36(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Max,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2011 21:55:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Rather, it is the German BR53 Mallet built by Borsig (or rather, started but never completed during WWII by Borsig).

Never built, not even started. Neither BR 53 nor Big Boy are Mallets.

Also see post #26 here:
https://www.marklin-user...comotive.aspx#post274900
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2011 22:03:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Neither BR 53......are Mallets.

The Marklin 1985 and 1986 catalogs begs to differ....
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:13:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Why are they now not Mallets?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:32:50(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Max,

You will find if you open up the loco one wire has come apart from the motor or reversing unit, all depends on the wiring diagram

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:45:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post

Mallets are compound locomotives. The axles of the rear set of drivers turn in the main frame of the locomotive, which is fixed to the boiler above it (at the rear end, to allow expansion of the hot boiler). The frame holding the front set of drivers is hinged to the main frame, allowing it to swing from side to side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_locomotive
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_(Lokomotive)
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rschaffr  
#11 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:50:46(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Sounds like the BR53 to me.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:55:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Mallets are compound locomotives. The axles of the rear set of drivers turn in the main frame of the locomotive, which is fixed to the boiler above it (at the rear end, to allow expansion of the hot boiler). The frame holding the front set of drivers is hinged to the main frame, allowing it to swing from side to side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_locomotive
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_(Lokomotive)

Tom, if you read the wiki article it actually says that only Compounds were refered to as Mallets originally, but the term came to be used for simple expansion locos as well.

The description of the rear drivers being in the main frame and the front drivers being articulated is exactly what the Borsig design is.

You have to be very pedantic not to call the Borsig a Mallet!

It's like saying that electric locos are not locomotives because their source of power comes from outside. Strickly speaking true, but not generally known as such.
Ray
Offline LionelMPC  
#13 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:59:41(UTC)
LionelMPC

The Big Boy is articulated the same way as a mallet (and to me it is one) but is not a compound like most of the early mallets. I assume the BR 53 is the same way. In a compound mallet, high pressure steam is first run through the rear cylinders, then the reduced pressure steam exhausted is run through a set of much larger low pressure cylinders in the front, before being exhausted out the stack. The Big Boy is a simple articulated where all four cylinders get high pressure steam. Is that what you mean?

-James
Offline Max  
#14 Posted : 22 March 2011 03:13:53(UTC)
Max

Thank you all for your interesting feedback and useful information on this, my first post!

-Max
Offline DamonKelly  
#15 Posted : 22 March 2011 12:56:45(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Max Go to Quoted Post
Thank you all for your interesting feedback and useful information on this, my first post!

-Max

Max, welcome to the forum!
Thanks for starting this conversation -- you will learn all sorts of fascinating (but possibly contentious, or even useless) things here. Wink
We love it! ThumpUp

Just push on regardless...
Cheers,
Damon
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 22 March 2011 14:04:16(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Max,

Another abnormality I've found with the BR 53 series, their traction force is sometimes minimal, due to a design fault, by distributing weight, in correct proportions.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline jvuye  
#17 Posted : 22 March 2011 14:23:58(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Max,

Another abnormality I've found with the BR 53 series, their traction force is sometimes minimal, due to a design fault, by distributing weight, in correct proportions.

John

Yes John, I have noticed the same, some are great pullers, some are not!
In fact the "poor performers" usually have a problem either with the the articulation (too much friction in curves) or too much stifness in the chassis, which tends to lift a bit the rear chassis.
Try loosening the mounting screws by half a turn.
They are located: two on the bottom, near the front cylinders set, and one on the top, under the rear square BigGrin shaped removable sandbox on top of the firebox.
The middle articulation needs to freely move vertically by about 4 to 5 mm. (less is a problem)
Usually that indicates some problems with manufacturing tolerances of the said screws.
I have also had a case of a bend tender coupling rod, lifting the power train, and misplaced wiring impeding the coupler's free movement..
Works better now?Drool BigGrin
Of course, I assume you have checked the smooth running of the "dummy" drivers set first.
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 22 March 2011 17:15:16(UTC)
H0

Tom, if you read the wiki article it actually says that only Compounds were refered to as Mallets originally, but the term came to be used for simple expansion locos as well.

That's what the English wiki article says. So when you speak English, you can say Mallet to any articulated loco.
The German article (sorry, the link doesn't work) doesn't say anything about a widened meaning of the term Mallet.

"Periodically, I hear the Big Boy referred to as a "Mallet". Technically, this is not true. Anatole Mallet designed his steam locomotive that 1) was articulated, and 2) used compound expansion (high and low pressure cylinders). The Big Boys, as well as many other articulated steam locomotives, used simple expansion, and thus, are not true mallets."
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/

Not true mallets? Untrue mallets? Mock mallets?

"What's the difference between ignorance and indifference?"
"I don't know and I don't care ..."
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline jvuye  
#19 Posted : 22 March 2011 18:10:27(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

That's what the English wiki article says. So when you speak English, you can say Mallet to any articulated loco.
The German article (sorry, the link doesn't work) doesn't say anything about a widened meaning of the term Mallet.

"Periodically, I hear the Big Boy referred to as a "Mallet". Technically, this is not true. Anatole Mallet designed his steam locomotive that 1) was articulated, and 2) used compound expansion (high and low pressure cylinders). The Big Boys, as well as many other articulated steam locomotives, used simple expansion, and thus, are not true mallets."
http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/

Not true mallets? Untrue mallets? Mock mallets?

"What's the difference between ignorance and indifference?"
"I don't know and I don't care ..."

HI All,

Interesting exchange..a long standing conversation object these articulated , Mallet or not!
Maybe this should be discussed further in the prototype question, but there is a very significant difference between Mallet (compound locos like e.G the BR 96) and the 4 cylinder single expansion ones (like e.g the Big Boy, the hypothetical BR53,etc..)
The Mallet had an inherent flaw in its design!

Running forward, under heavy load, the front chassis of of both tytpes would have a tendency to lift, and starting to slip.

But the Mallet, having their rear HP cylinders' exhaust feeding the front LP ones, the slippage of the front wheels causes suddenly a much bigger steam consumption.
This would immediately create a big drop in pressure at the exhaust of the HP cylinders.
Since the power a cylinder can develop is proportional to the pressure difference between intake and exhaust, there would be also a sudden increase of tractive effort on the rear HP chassis, with the danger that these "shocks" could in turn induce slippage of the rear wheels!
Soon you have a loco that slips from all its driven axles...although the design was supposed to avoid that phenomenon!Bored Blink

So driving a true "Mallet" requires quite a good feel and quick reflexes to cut the throttle as soon as slippage of the front is detected!(Usually, from the vibrations and a sudden change in exhaust rythm,!)
I experienced it myself when I was for a brief moment at the throttle of the little Mallet operated by the Blonay Chamby RR Museum in Switzerland.Scared

On the other hand, the Big Boy and Challengers incorporated a couple of design improvements, aimed at reducing this tendency.
First of all the chassis, albeit articulated, was designed with reinforced pivots and large horizontal sliding surfaces to prevent any vertical movement.
This way, it was much harder for the front chassis to start slipping, having the weight of the whole length of the lok to push it down..ThumpUp
Second, the steam machines being fed independently, slippage in one set, doesn't automatically induce slippage of the other.ThumpUp ThumpUp

Again, having had a chance, for a short while, to be at the throttle of UP #3985 on the Feather River route in California, on the 1991 Shippers' Special, I witnessed that 3985 was easy to control and able to restart the whole consist on its own...without the slightest hint of slippage. ( I gotta exhume the pictures of that event, and share it with you guys, but here is a little preview to give you a feel (The Challenger is the second loco in this picture of a simulated restart with wide open throtles and oil burners!!Woot Woot Wub )

http://www.fotocommunity.../542493/display/19788876

Hope this helps...excite your imagination when you run one of these on your layout!! Laugh

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline GSRR  
#20 Posted : 22 March 2011 18:22:37(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Well I certainly learned something today, thank you all.

Jacques, most interesting story, on the lookout for more. Can you check the photo link, goes somewhere else for me?

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline jvuye  
#21 Posted : 22 March 2011 22:21:19(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
Well I certainly learned something today, thank you all.

Jacques, most interesting story, on the lookout for more. Can you check the photo link, goes somewhere else for me?

r/Thomas

Here's the uploaded directly here (note this is a scanned from print analog picture from 1991, forgive me for the poor sharpness)
jvuye attached the following image(s):
up doppelpack.jpg
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 18 September 2011 09:28:50(UTC)
H0

You have to be very pedantic not to call the Borsig a Mallet!
It's like saying that electric locos are not locomotives because their source of power comes from outside. Strickly speaking true, but not generally known as such.

Strictly speaking that's not true IMHO.

I never had Latin at school, so most of my Latin comes from Asterix (like "errare humanum est").

"Locomotive" means "moves from a place", so this term also applies to electric locomotives.
"Automobile" means "moves itself" - one could argue that electric locomotives are no automobiles as they rely on external power while diesel and steam locomotives are automobiles as they carry their power sources, but I don't think that automobiles must be self-sufficient; one could even argue that diesel and steam locomotives require oxygen and thus are not self-sufficient either.

The reason for coming back to this old thread: these days I read about something called an "true automobile": a car controlled by a computer that drives by itself without requiring a driver (not really new, prototypes exist for several years now).
So maybe 50 years from now the word automobile will have a new meaning, referring to driverless cars only.

IMHO the Borsig design isn't a Mallet (in German speaking countries the term Mallet is often used for compound locomotives only).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#23 Posted : 18 September 2011 09:58:23(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
... so most of my Latin comes from Asterix (like "errare humanum est")...

And the very best place to learn latin too.. My school boy French was improved by Asterix and Oberlix comics of the late '60s and early '70s that were in the school library.. Only comics that were allowed in the library too!
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 18 September 2011 11:19:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
How about this for dredging up old arguments!

I think I'll pass this time around...BigGrin
Ray