Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dave Banks  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2011 03:13:43(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
I wonder if any one out there has a CS1 that has had the misfortune to have been dropped & have broken a screen. I have one that has a damaged PCB board that has been extensively damaged by acid from long overdue AAA batteries seeping into the system & eating the very fine tracks on the board. Why Marklin ever used AAA batteries that leak in the first place knowing full well most of us forget about changing batteries till they are flat is beyond me. However the board is now irreparable. It is a Marklin factory upgraded model. At this stage any board from that model would be appreciated.I would like to get the controller fixed if possible & at least let someone have some benefit out of it. Many thanks in advance for your replies.
PS: If some one out there is game to fix their broken CS1 they are welcome to have this damaged one if all else fails.
D.A.Banks
Offline NZMarklinist  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2011 03:49:56(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if any one out there has a CS1 that has had the misfortune to have been dropped & have broken a screen. I have one that has a damaged PCB board that has been extensively damaged by acid from long overdue AAA batteries seeping into the system & eating the very fine tracks on the board. Why Marklin ever used AAA batteries that leak in the first place knowing full well most of us forget about changing batteries till they are flat is beyond me. However the board is now irreparable. It is a Marklin factory upgraded model. At this stage any board from that model would be appreciated.I would like to get the controller fixed if possible & at least let someone have some benefit out of it. Many thanks in advance for your replies.
PS: If some one out there is game to fix their broken CS1 they are welcome to have this damaged one if all else fails.

Hi Dave,
If you've read any of my posts (all recent being a newbe member) I often refer to my "train Doctor" friend, list member DRWhittle. Dennis has a CS1 that has broken ribbons to the screen thru opening the box once too often, he could be very interested in your unit, and I've emailed him a link to this thread. He's very good in bringing old M loks back from the dead, as well as sorting and converting digital ones, good man to know if you have a troublesome Lok, he has a small lathe, guageing tools and wheel press as well, just in case you've got any troublesome Loks. He has CS2 back at Marklin and IB. he reads his CS screen by linking it to his computor.
All that said ESU do have a repair service for CS1s as they promised to support them, I don't believe your bound to buy the Reload but it might be worth it if you are struggling with replaceing your CS.
I bought a second hand CS1 and then the reload, touble was the bottom left cormer of the screen was dead and the rest of it was shifted from a touch point of view toward the lower left. It was sent back to ESU by, NZ Marklin and ESU Agents, Toottoot for me as they supplied the Reload kit and less than $NZ200 (incl freight), but a few months, later, I got a whole different, can't be sure it's "new", CS1 with a new reload disc for back up. So now I'm very happy with it.BigGrin
I'm just searching the ESU site for that CS/Ecos repair price list but will edit this post with the link when I find it Confused
I was lucky to piggyback another shipment so Toottoot saved me some frieght, but the send and return freight for you wouldn't be nothing as mine allmost was, although if you buy the Reload from TT who knows what they'll do Blink but you'd still have to get it to NZ and back.
I'll have to admitt I'm thinking about an ECosII or CS2 but will wait 'till I get my home layout operational to make a descision. Might be awhile LOL I also believe a reloaded CS1 should have quite good resale value, worth the repair I think, but not to buy a second hand CS1, used or not and then reload. Best to go strait to new one with colour screen ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline drwhitl  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2011 04:23:03(UTC)
drwhitl

Hi Dave,

I have exactly that - A cs1 with a broken screen. I'll send u a private Email, maybe we can do a deal.

cheers
Dennis

Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2011 04:38:35(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Dennis,this unit came to me from Bob Hunt who was going to bin it. He very kindly gave it to me to see if I could do anything with it. Well I tried but failed. I believe the screen to be ok. If I plug one or other ribbon in each half comes to life. If you can see some hope for your CS1 out of this ruined unit then it is yours.It came to me free & it will come to you free as well. I have some relatives coming to visit from Auckland on 2nd April & returning back around about 10th April. I can ask them to take it over with them on return & that way it will cost you nothing except the trip to pick it up. How does that sound to you?
D.A.Banks
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 19 March 2011 10:20:01(UTC)
H0

Hi, Dave,

I never had batteries in my CS1 - and everything works fine (as long as you shut down before pulling the plug).

So in case you can fix your CS1 you now know a way to avoid the acid risk.

The batteries serve as a UPS that allows the CS1 to shutdown when the mains power is stopped.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Dave Banks  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2011 22:52:02(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hello Tom, Yes I have been aware of the fact that one does not need batteries in the unit if shutting it down in the correct manner. All my units have been purchased second hand & I think these units had the original batteries in them either installed by their owners or maybe Marklin. But as time goes by one tends to forget about those batteries once the warning indicator has faded away & by that time it is too late. I had a policy of changing batteries every year regardless with Duracell batteries & put a date label on the underside cover as an extra reminder. So to all CS1 & Ecos users, take note of this warning or if you are smart,remove the batteries altogether & shut the unit down manually. That way you will never have an issue.
D.A.Banks
Offline drwhitl  
#7 Posted : 13 May 2011 00:30:51(UTC)
drwhitl

Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
Hello Dennis,this unit came to me from Bob Hunt who was going to bin it. He very kindly gave it to me to see if I could do anything with it. Well I tried but failed. I believe the screen to be ok. If I plug one or other ribbon in each half comes to life. If you can see some hope for your CS1 out of this ruined unit then it is yours.It came to me free & it will come to you free as well. I have some relatives coming to visit from Auckland on 2nd April & returning back around about 10th April. I can ask them to take it over with them on return & that way it will cost you nothing except the trip to pick it up. How does that sound to you?

This is rather a belated response, but to all:

I talked with Dave and he sent me over his badly broken CS1. I combined the good screen of his CS with the good logic board out of my one, and finished up with a perfectly functional CS1 again. It looked quite odd - seeing the whole screen again for the first time in about 2 years :-) Total time for the surgery - less than an hour including testing time.

Thank you once again Dave for your generosity

cheers
Dennis
Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 13 May 2011 01:06:59(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Dennis,You are most welcome.In present economic tough times like we are now in, it all helps. Guys you may have something that is of no use to you personally all be it broken, but it may help another out of a jamb. Put it up on this wonderful forum & bring a smile to another fellow Marklinist.
D.A.Banks
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 13 May 2011 06:16:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
And that, dear friends is why Juhan set this forum up in the first place - keeping Marklin MRR fans in touch with each other world wide.