Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2011 22:40:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Here is the list of new digital decoder for 2011 as not showing on database.

No detail at present, See lokshop website http://shop.lokshop.de/i...ilter_id=1067&page=5

60941 High-performance engine upgrade kit (motor as 60901) Q3/2011
60942 Decoder with board Q3/2011
60943 High-performance engine upgrade kit (motor as 60903) Q3/2011
60944 High-performance engine upgrade kit (motor as 60904) Q3/2011
60945 Steam locomotive sound decoder with board Q3/2011
60946 Diesel locomotive sound decoder with board Q3/2011
60947 Electric locomotive sound decoder with board Q3/2011
60948 Sound decoder for Märklin hobby diesels Q3/2011
60949 Sound decoder for Märklin hobby electric locomotives Q3/2011
60962 Decoder with wiring harness Q3/2011
60965 Steam locomotive sound decoder with wire harness Q3/2011
60966 Diesel Sound Decoder with wiring harness Q3/2011
60967 Electric locomotive sound decoder with wire harness Q3/2011
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline TimR  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2011 23:06:53(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Thanks, Steven..

Prices seems to be more in line with competitors... or cheaper...
That's a long awaited move compared to their previous delusional asking prices (6092x).

Sound decoders wouldn't be worth it if the sound files remained locked.

Will have to wait until more info are released..
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline FMS  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2011 01:54:01(UTC)
FMS

Regards
FMS
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 14 March 2011 04:12:24(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Does anyone know if you have to do funky things like permanently turning f4 on to drive SDS and suchlike motors with these decoders?
Offline TimR  
#5 Posted : 14 March 2011 08:05:16(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone know if you have to do funky things like permanently turning f4 on to drive SDS and suchlike motors with these decoders?

I think that is due to the design of SDS.
Can't see a way around it.

OTOH,
technically speaking, SDS can make do using (cheaper) decoders without load control - since the driver board manage this anyways.

Load control for modern decoders is needed for all other motor types.

Offline Sander van Wijk  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2011 11:38:11(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi Steven,

Thanks for sharing this! It looks like the motor parts I am using regularly are becoming a little cheaper. Regarding the decoders I am a little less enthusiastic, the specs need to be very convincing in order to get me to move away from ESU. We'll see...

Regards,
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.
Offline pa-pauls  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2011 12:03:06(UTC)
pa-pauls

Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
I think that is due to the design of SDS.

Yes, correct. It has nothing to do with the decoder itself,,,
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline intruder  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2011 20:22:05(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
steventrain wrote:
Here is the list of new digital decoder for 2011 as not showing on database.

Good news, Stephen.

Thank you!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline kevwill  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2011 20:40:29(UTC)
kevwill

Slightly off subject,which i'm sorry for.
The fitting of these new or even older type mfx decoders, does anyone use someone apart from Marklin to fit them, or could someone totally devoid of any knowledge regarding decoders, like me, be able to fit them.

thanks

kevin
My wife, children, and all my friends, think as i'm into Model trains, i'm very boring and should grow up. NEVER NEVER!!!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2011 20:54:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Kevin, you may not want to start with converting an expensive loco, but there is no reason why, with some time, you can't get the experience to fit these decoder kits.
Offline intruder  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2011 20:59:07(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
You may be able to fit them yourself, Kevin.

If you have some soldering skills and a nice small soldering iron meant for that kind of work.
But the warranty is of course not valid if you do it yourself.

"Which wire to go where" is quite well explained in the instruction.
I always start with the ground wire (locomotive chassis) and finish with the wire to the pick-up shoe.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline kevwill  
#12 Posted : 14 March 2011 21:09:29(UTC)
kevwill

Bigdaddynz and intruder, i thank you for your replies.I have a soldering station,unused, and i was a plumber in another life, so i should with clear instruction be able to do it,Its the confidence i lack,.I will try on an inexpensive loco first just in case it goes belly up.

Thanks

Kevin
My wife, children, and all my friends, think as i'm into Model trains, i'm very boring and should grow up. NEVER NEVER!!!
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 14 March 2011 21:14:02(UTC)
Webmaster

Kevin, doing older loks is quite easy - the problem is those newer that have "special boards" for LED lights and such... 

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#14 Posted : 14 March 2011 21:27:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Kevin, start off with a 30xx / 33xx series loco, they are fairly easy to convert. A loco with a DCM motor is best, as you can start off with the 60760 conversion kit, which is quite inexpensive.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline jonas_sthlm  
#15 Posted : 14 March 2011 23:09:15(UTC)
jonas_sthlm

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
doing older loks is quite easy

not all, SJ Xo2 13 34262 LOL
Do you think it will be possible to change the sound through CS2 with future update Confused
Collecting Swedish items since the 80s / CS3+ / MSW / 60175 Booster / 60881 S88 AC / TC10 Gold / K, C-Tracks / Favorites Class Ra / modelltag.se - Forum modelltag.se - Facebook modelltag.se - YouTube
Offline laalves  
#16 Posted : 15 March 2011 19:11:35(UTC)
laalves

Interestingly the 60942 states "mfx, Motorola and DCC". All at the same time? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be a first. Supposedly the new gen decoders are universal and capable of handling all of the protocols but with different firmware.
Offline TimR  
#17 Posted : 15 March 2011 21:48:42(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: laalves Go to Quoted Post
Interestingly the 60942 states "mfx, Motorola and DCC". All at the same time? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be a first. Supposedly the new gen decoders are universal and capable of handling all of the protocols but with different firmware.

I think I've read somewhere that on these 'new gen decoders' if DCC is activated, MFX disabled, or vice versa. Rumour has it that some new M* models already have this type of decoder installed.

The other interesting thing is the packaging of these 21-pin decoders along with a corresponding plug-in board with all the cables already pre-installed. This is convenient - and I think it's well priced.
Offline laalves  
#18 Posted : 15 March 2011 22:57:46(UTC)
laalves

These are the decoders already installed in new models since last year. You may distinguish them in the CS2 when you the "Upd" button shows up in the Edit loco page: they may be updated via the CS2. AFAIK, that's not yet active.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 16 March 2011 01:37:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: laalves Go to Quoted Post
Interestingly the 60942 states "mfx, Motorola and DCC". All at the same time? Correct me if I'm wrong but that would be a first.

Gauge 1 locos from M* already come with decoders that support mfx, MM, and DCC. But I haven't heard of any H0 scale models with these three protocols.

With gauge 1, the decoder will only listen to mfx commands if it detects mfx on the track. Thus you cannot run them using DCC if you need mfx for other locos. ThumbDown

The decoder hardware is already the same for the DCC and mfx versions, but so far the firmware was different.
The Trix Mobile Station supports mfx, so they might use mfx decoders for their Trix starter sets.
Since Railcom+ brought automatic loco registration to the DCC world, mfx is on the second best automatic registration system around.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#20 Posted : 16 March 2011 03:34:03(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The decoder hardware is already the same for the DCC and mfx versions, but so far the firmware was different.
Since Railcom+ brought automatic loco registration to the DCC world, mfx is on the second best automatic registration system around.

So:
"Why did Marklin bothered with MFX in the first place?"

There was never any compelling commercial reason to do so - other than preventing DCC from enroaching 3-rail market.

The obsession to "control everything" pushed those who don't like MFX to make a switch to the more mature protocol - DCC.

Had Marklin opted to adopt into the DCC along with the rest of the market - they won't alleniate those customers. It will also be easier to persuade the "hardliners" to make a switch from analog or MM to DCC.

After all, everyone else outside Marklin is also talking in the same protocol....
And they could have competed head on in the huge market of DCC decoders...
Offline tiono  
#21 Posted : 16 March 2011 06:14:25(UTC)
tiono

United States   

So:
"Why did Marklin bothered with MFX in the first place?"

There was never any compelling commercial reason to do so - other than preventing DCC from enroaching 3-rail market.

Agree with that.
In my opinion, mfx is just Marklin's pride which is not justified from business point of view.
Offline mvd71  
#22 Posted : 16 March 2011 07:19:37(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I have no specific interest in mfx myself, but I know that a lot of the members in our club only want mfx loco's. I suspect they would consider abandonment of mfx to be a hugh backward step.
I personally have wondered about the merits of DCC over the years, however after seeing the average DCC controller I decided that DCC means "doesn't come close".

I always preferred the old decoders with dip switches, but I believe the Marklin controllers with marklin decoders (or ESU mfx for sound) gives the best integrated package on the market.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline tiono  
#23 Posted : 16 March 2011 10:32:13(UTC)
tiono

United States   
DCC was actually originated from Marklin/Lenz 2-rail during the 80s, then adopted by NMRA during the 90s. After the adoption, DCC popularity surge due to the huge market in North America, causing many manufacturers embracing DCC to grab the market. As the result, customers have a wide range of DCC products they can choose from.
By alienating DCC, Marklin depends solely on European market, which had already proven to be inadequate to keep the company rolling. They have to embrace DCC (and 2-rail convertible rolling stocks), beside producing more american model, if they want to penetrate into North America.
Offline TimR  
#24 Posted : 16 March 2011 11:05:22(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: tiono Go to Quoted Post

By alienating DCC, Marklin depends solely on European market, which had already proven to be inadequate to keep the company rolling...

Try less than 40% of European market only... (and shrinking)
Even in their home market (Germany) - Marklin only has 50% of the market.

Considering a percentage of Marklin sales is also from Trix - the H0 three rail market for MFX is even smaller than Marklin revenue figure suggest.
None of the other brands that sell 3-rail products are willing to pay (more) for MFX decoder.

The past few years, DCC has been enjoying incremental improvements - as all the major players compete to up the ante;
MFX has seen nothing new, as we're reliant only on Marklin to hand us the goods.

The only improvement I see in MFX is that the latest gen decoders have better "reception" of MFX signal as opposed to the first gen decoder. Eg: they allow loco editing further away from the "ugly box".
But IMO ESU V3 M4 is better in that respect compared to Marklin's "in-house" decoder.
Offline RayF  
#25 Posted : 16 March 2011 11:42:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yawn,

Why do all threads degenerate into a Marklin bashing exercise?

Marklin are different. Live with it!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline tiono  
#26 Posted : 16 March 2011 13:01:49(UTC)
tiono

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
Yawn,

Differences will be of no use if Marklin go bust. Smile
I think those "Marklin bashing" exercises happened because of growing concern about Marklin's survivability in the near future after it went out of bankruptcy protection last year.
Offline RayF  
#27 Posted : 16 March 2011 13:23:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
Yawn,

Differences will be of no use if Marklin go bust. Smile
I think those "Marklin bashing" exercises happened because of growing concern about Marklin's survivability in the near future after it went out of bankruptcy protection last year.

Isn't that a contradiction? I would have thought that the fact they emerged from banckrupcy protection and actually started turning a profit would be good news, not cause for concern.

The fact is that there are a few loud voices on this forum who always complain, whatever Marklin does.

I think it's the fact that we are all rapidly becoming grumpy old men! BigGrin
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline tiono  
#28 Posted : 16 March 2011 14:31:48(UTC)
tiono

United States   
I thought there was no changes inside the company? Emerging from bankruptcy protection without any changes, is similar to be healed from terminal disease without taking any medicine. A very very rare occasion. I would only say that Marklin really back to health if it can sustain the profitability for at least two years in a row.
Loud voices are good Smile
Sometimes they bring new ideas from different point of view.
Offline RayF  
#29 Posted : 16 March 2011 14:41:54(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

Loud voices are good Smile

Not when they hijack every thread, as has happened here. I think that those who want to vent their feelings should open a new thread for that purpose, and leave "innocent" threads alone. This thread is not about Marklin's recovery, or management policy, or way of doing business. It's about a new range of decoders which Stephen very kindly alerted us to.

I will now stop taking part in this off-topic argument and wait to see if there is anything more useful to learn about these decoders.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NZMarklinist  
#30 Posted : 16 March 2011 14:55:09(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

By alienating DCC, Marklin depends solely on European market, which had already proven to be inadequate to keep the company rolling...

Try less than 40% of European market only... (and shrinking)
Even in their home market (Germany) - Marklin only has 50% of the market.

Considering a percentage of Marklin sales is also from Trix - the H0 three rail market for MFX is even smaller than Marklin revenue figure suggest.
None of the other brands that sell 3-rail products are willing to pay (more) for MFX decoder.

The past few years, DCC has been enjoying incremental improvements - as all the major players compete to up the ante;
MFX has seen nothing new, as we're reliant only on Marklin to hand us the goods.

The only improvement I see in MFX is that the latest gen decoders have better "reception" of MFX signal as opposed to the first gen decoder. Eg: they allow loco editing further away from the "ugly box".
But IMO ESU V3 M4 is better in that respect compared to Marklin's "in-house" decoder.

I'd tend to agree although admit to not knowing too much about the DCC market, I tend to buy new M loks with MFX, better value than not if you want sounds, but love what can be done with ESU V3 M4 decoders, I have a few of them, if something is wrong with an M 21 pin decoder, then replacing it with ESU 21 pin M4 is the way to go if you have access to a loksound decoder progammer, You can add a few extra functions, like my M39800 V200 ( purchased on ebay from MiWuLa ), that went up in smoke and flames literally, due to wires to the C sinus driver board being caught and squashed under the body mount screw post from the roof, but was fixed with a decoder board repair, and a new ESU M4, better, quiker and more fun than sending it round to the other side of the world for warranty repair. and now has station announcement and a few other protoypical noises the M decoder doesn't provide Flapper
Meanwhile the train doctor is toiling over the F1 (smoke)output of my 39011 Kl 01 which doesn't work, seemingly because the smoke contact has touched the body at some stage, but we can't match the whistle sounds from the ESU download menu, so surgery is being performed on the decoder itselfAngry
My M39230 Class 23 which has the new decoder, I understand, has one of the best variety and volume of sounds of any of my Black and red Steamers BigGrin
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline jvuye  
#31 Posted : 16 March 2011 14:58:57(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: kevwill Go to Quoted Post
Bigdaddynz and intruder, i thank you for your replies.I have a soldering station,unused, and i was a plumber in another life, so i should with clear instruction be able to do it,Its the confidence i lack,.I will try on an inexpensive loco first just in case it goes belly up.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin,
I'll be happy to provide help and guidance if and when needed, besides it looks like we are at least within the same borders!
I confess, I'm not up to speed with the latest developments in mfx and CS2 etc..but on the "electro-mechanical" side I think that in 60 years, I have converted and repaired so many loks, there are few that would present an "insolvable problem".
For example, I am presently converting a "salvaged-basket-case" 1949 TP800 to 5-pole hi-efficiency digital...and my heart rate is not even moving up one beat!Wink
And if you were a plumber...that's great: I'll let you cut all the threads! BigGrin
Cheers
jvuye attached the following image(s):
TP800-1.jpg
TP800-2.jpg
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Goofy  
#32 Posted : 16 March 2011 17:41:37(UTC)
Goofy

I cannot see if there is decoder programmer,by adjusts soundfunctions since steam,diesel and electric don´t have same soundfunctional in difference locomotiv.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline David Dewar  
#33 Posted : 16 March 2011 23:19:18(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I started my digital days with Lenz and two rail and the best move I made was to change to Marklin. My only problem with Marklin decoders is the price and if that could be lowered it could generate more sales.
I look forward to hearing about anything new now that Marklin have another manufacturer making their stuff.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TimR  
#34 Posted : 16 March 2011 23:56:33(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
My only problem with Marklin decoders is the price and if that could be lowered it could generate more sales.

Price of the new ones - especially the non-sound - look a lot sharper...
finally a worthy effort to try and win back the huge Marklin second hand market from Lokpilots MM/DCC to (Marklin) MFX.

I hope the boards would be available seperately - for similar bargain basement prices. (This was another segment where they'd been losing sales)

Don't think that they'll win too many new friends in the DCC segment though.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#35 Posted : 17 March 2011 00:38:31(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
My only problem with Marklin decoders is the price and if that could be lowered it could generate more sales.

Price of the new ones - especially the non-sound - look a lot sharper...
finally a worthy effort to try and win back the huge Marklin second hand market from Lokpilots MM/DCC to (Marklin) MFX.

I hope the boards would be available seperately - for similar bargain basement prices. (This was another segment where they'd been losing sales)

Don't think that they'll win too many new friends in the DCC segment though.

Hi Tim ALL,
The ESU 21 pin decoder boards, available in two configerations, could be used with the Marklin Decoders, and are probably a bit cheaper maybe ? if you can get them from the same dealer to save postage.
Do I know you Tim from AKL Marklin Club maybe ?? anyway thanks for generally posting on a positive note towards Marklin, really it's a miracle that they function as well as they do, thanks to Herr Pluta, I believe for that BigGrin ( Just had to have a smily in there ) Blink

EDIT POST;
Having reviewed the list of the new Marklin Decoders, it seems the multi pin ones come with a decoder board, makes them better value, and pricing very close to, or same as, ESU, "war is declared " again RollEyes between M and ESU. However I think you'll probably need a CS2 to get the best out of them, we'll have to wait till the end of this year to find out.

Edited by user 19 March 2011 23:29:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider