Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2011 21:40:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
In the 'would like to see for 2012" topic, the following C track ideas have been promoted.

I would like to comment on this, and also spell out what I think is realistic.
Please have your say.

Regards C track, the forum has the following desires/wants/would like to see:

1. new curve turnout R4 R5, (useful to allow easier passage from one curve to another, although already possible using existing tighter curve turnouts 24671/2 for R2 to R3, and R4 to R5) - edited after Mike's post.

2. symetric turnout (I presume you mean Y, that is a good idea. Equivalent to a 24630 with the middle straight track removed)

3. triple turnout 10° (the wide radius points are about 10°)

4. double slip turnout 10° (the wide radius points are about 10°)

5. flexible C track (in my thinking, this is diametrically opposed to the philosophy/concept of C track, and is NOT going to happen - get K track.)

6. a line of concrete sleeper tracks, preferably based on C-track geometry and with compatible end connectors. (a good idea)

and my personal addition:
7. a 24906, that is 6° to complement the large radius 24912 so you can make a 30°
or a full circle (2 x 12 + 1 x 6) or (1 x 12 + 3 x 6). This makes the 24912 far more useful as a transition. A 24906 allows you to mix or complete a circle with other R1 - R5 items.
The R1 - R5 circles are in arcs of 15°, you can make a 30° or a full circle.

8. Plastic ballast that has a weathered element to it. No need to weather the rail, as it is too small to be noticeable.

I already have a layout, so my personal ideas would not be put into practice in the near future. So these are my opinions, you may have a different one.

Go for it, any ideas welcome!

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 09 March 2011 02:49:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 09 March 2011 01:56:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
UPDATED 2011/03/18

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
In the 'would like to see for 2012" topic, the following C track ideas have been promoted.

I would like to comment on this, and also spell out what I think is realistic.
Please have your say.

Regards C track, the forum has the following desires/wants/would like to see:

1. new C tracks such as curve turnout R4 R5, (why, we already have a wide radius turnout 24711/2?)

Even modellers with larger curves on their layouts are confronted with space issues. Curved switches allow for longer trains in a signal "stop" zone or in a station zone. The wide radius switches take up a lot of space as they are longer than the normal switch tracks and need to be combined with matching curves or extensions/other switches. Curved switches save the space on the straight section.

2. symetric turnout (I presume you mean Y, that is a good idea. Equivalent to a 24630 with the middle straight track removed)

3. triple turnout 10° (the wide radius points are about 10°)

4. double slip turnout 10° (the wide radius points are about 10°)

5. flexible C track (in my thinking, this is diametrically opposed to the philosophy/concept of C track, and is NOT going to happen - get K track.)

The suggestion for flexible C-Track has been made over and over for the last few years. Roco has a flex track for it's track with roadbed. It would probably require some modifications to the basic design to make an equivalent for C-Track. If it can be done, perhaps Maerklin should consider it.

6. a line of concrete sleeper tracks, preferably based on C-track geometry and with compatible end connectors. (a good idea)

I think that a variant of C-Track with concrete sleepers would be an excellent idea, especially for those modelling TGV, Thalys, ICE and so on.

and my personal addition:
7. a 24906, that is 6° to complement the large radius 24912 so you can make a 30°
or a full circle (2 x 12 + 1 x 6) or (1 x 12 + 3 x 6). This makes the 24912 far more useful as a transition. A 24906 allows you to mix or complete a circle with other R1 - R5 items.
The R1 - R5 circles are in arcs of 15°, you can make a 30° or a full circle.

8. Plastic ballast that has a weathered element to it. No need to weather the rail, as it is too small to be noticeable.

I already have a layout, so my personal ideas would not be put into practice in the near future. So these are my opinions, you may have a different one.

Go for it, any ideas welcome!

regards
Kimball

The suggestions that I would like to see include a two rail crossover, which would enable trains to shift from either track to the other over a short distance (2 or 3 track lengths).
NEW LINK:
similar to: http://cgi.ebay.de/ADE-D...27b98ffae9#ht_500wt_1156
Roco had such an item in their selection for a while. The other things that I would like to see is better design of the C to M and C to K conversion tracks. The current ones go from C-Track profile to K-Track profile and then M connectors when the C-Track profile is much closer to the M-Track one. The other thing that I would like to see is a signal with track section and isolating section, similar to the old 7339, but for C-Track. (See: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e...8zRPw%253D#ht_1745wt_907 )

...and while we're at it. Catenary masts with increased stand off (longer arms) for use in curves with newer 282mm and 1:87 coaches.

That's it for me.

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 18 March 2011 19:32:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 09 March 2011 02:41:02(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Mike,
Thanks for those additions.
I must admit, I didn't see the word "curve" in the first suggestion, your explanation for such a turnout is admirable.

I would also like to say that Marklins C track system has been the catalyst, and main reason why I have been able to build a modest working layout. The current offering in C track has been perfectly adequate for myself with limited space, but other ideas are always of interest.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2011 21:23:12(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,
Thanks for those additions.
I must admit, I didn't see the word "curve" in the first suggestion, your explanation for such a turnout is admirable.

I would also like to say that Marklins C track system has been the catalyst, and main reason why I have been able to build a modest working layout. The current offering in C track has been perfectly adequate for myself with limited space, but other ideas are always of interest.

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball Are there any places I could download/look at C track plans?
thanx, Joe
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2011 21:37:50(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Joe,

If you purchase a starter set, the booklet contains a few simple, and a few challenging plans for C track.
Also, the Marklin Magazine publishes new layouts most issues, and the plans are included. These plans are accessible on the Marklin website, athttp://www.maerklin.de/mm/downloads.php

I use Internet Explorer with a Google toolbar, which allows me to translate the page automatically. (I can't believe I just said that, as I am not that up on modern computing, but I seem to have managed that baby at some stage).

regards
Kimball
Offline Lollo  
#6 Posted : 14 March 2011 07:53:17(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
For me, a more realistic ballast would be my preferance. I have weathered(rustcated)all my rails.
Just doing that alone makes such a big differance in my view. It looks great.
The other thing to consider, perhaps Marklin do not consider weathering the track/ballast due to the fact that many modlers like to put there own unique touch on there layout, rather than one that is imposed.
Just my angle on things.

Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline kimballthurlow  
#7 Posted : 14 March 2011 09:14:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Thank you Brian, for that input.

regards
Kimball
Offline anthpao  
#8 Posted : 14 March 2011 09:41:21(UTC)
anthpao

Greece   
I would prefer C tracks produce less noise.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 14 March 2011 10:37:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
thanx, Joe

In the Marklin Magazine download webpage of the Marklin Germany website, you can download track plans that have appeared in the Marklin Magazine. Many of these plans are in C track. Marklin also have 2 track plan books available for purchase that have C track plans.

http://www.maerklin.de/mm/downloads.php

Click on 'Gleisplan Archiv'
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2011 19:36:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
See update to my post (#2) including link showing similar concept track from ADE.

MC
Offline kbvrod  
#11 Posted : 18 March 2011 21:26:47(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,

There is a gentlemen in Germany who make custom points/switches/curves for C-track(and also K)

Dr D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#12 Posted : 19 March 2011 12:22:27(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
thanx, Joe

In the Marklin Magazine download webpage of the Marklin Germany website, you can download track plans that have appeared in the Marklin Magazine. Many of these plans are in C track. Marklin also have 2 track plan books available for purchase that have C track plans.

http://www.maerklin.de/mm/downloads.php

Click on 'Gleisplan Archiv'

Thanks David!...a big help, Joe
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 20 March 2011 05:01:40(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

There is a gentlemen in Germany who make custom points/switches/curves for C-track(and also K)

Dr D

I think he is also a member of this forum.

http://weichen-walter.de

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kariosls37  
#14 Posted : 20 March 2011 09:03:24(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
While not really track as such, a smaller turntable might be interesting. The current turntable looks very heavy-duty and I would think this would only be seen at the largest depots. Smaller turntables would be much more realistic on our small model railway yards. If they could make them a good bit cheaper would be a great help too.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 20 March 2011 10:39:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
While not really track as such, a smaller turntable might be interesting. The current turntable looks very heavy-duty and I would think this would only be seen at the largest depots. Smaller turntables would be much more realistic on our small model railway yards. If they could make them a good bit cheaper would be a great help too.

That's a great idea, Rick!

I despair of ever having enough room for the large tables they've made up to now, but a smaller one would be just right for me.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF