Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gregzim  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2011 12:43:21(UTC)
Gregzim

Australia   
I would like the opinion from anyone using PC software for automation of railroad control - I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have been talking to the developer of CAMR software in Sweden and that will not require brake modules, stopping sections or slowdonw sections as it is designed after real time operational software. Do other software programs require brake modules etc or just feed back like CAMR. All experienced comments welcome please. Tks Greg
Offline Besra  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2011 14:17:50(UTC)
Besra

Hi Greg,

generally PC solutions do not require any braking modules, slow down sections etc. This is one big advantage of software solutions, makes them more flexible and may also be the cheaper solution. Feedbacks are always required as the software needs to know the positions of the trains on your layout. The feedbacks consist of some kind of contact (mostly, infra red and others do also work) and a feedback module (mostly S88 in the Marklin world). See, for instance, > Rocrail Sensors.
If you are a beginner try the demo versions of different software available on the internet or start with an open source solution like > Rocrail. Tip: Follow the link to the > Tutorial to get started.

Best regards
Besra

Edit: ">" is followed by a link.
Offline GSRR  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2011 15:08:41(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Greg,

Have a look at this comparison chart. Needs an update, but still good.

http://www.digital-bahn.de/info_kompo/software.htm

You might consider iTrain. Instructions and a forum in English.

http://berros.eu/itrain/en/

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2011 16:54:25(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I agree with what Besra said...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Gregzim  
#5 Posted : 30 January 2011 12:25:56(UTC)
Gregzim

Australia   
Thanks to the three of you above for your replies. I will go and do my research in depth thanks. BTW - I also stumbled across what appears to be a very interesting product - Train Trek Austomation software by Tayden Design - which they say now deploys in V5 "intelligent software" - which learns your route set up by you just running a train along a desire route and by clicking "learn" before you set the train off on its journey - and thats that. Give it a name and the route is registered. Any one seen this elswhere? THeir web link is
http://www.tayden.com/TrainTrekAutomation.htm Tks Greg
Offline DaleSchultz  
#6 Posted : 30 January 2011 17:20:32(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I looked at that description. I have never heard of them before. Recording a train and replaying it is not a new concept at all and in the past has not been been useful. They claim alls sort of AI are being applied, but the problem as I see it is that it would take a lot of training for the system to know when and where not to run trains. E.g. I may 'train' it by running a passenger train from A to B to C, stopping at B and C. Would it do the same with a goods train??? I dont want goods trains stopping at B. Do I need to teach it how every train is to behave ? Their description does not provide much detail.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline FMS  
#7 Posted : 30 January 2011 17:42:26(UTC)
FMS

Thank You all for this informations.

I also would like to try the computer solution...and i also have problems to figure out where to start: What hardware to use, cables, connections, etc..well the entire set up.

It would be nice to have, here in The Forum, some tutorials with "schematics", explaining how to. Maybe there's something but i don't know where, if so, please tell if not it's just like i said: It would be nice.

From here i can give it a try.
Regards
FMS
Offline FMS  
#8 Posted : 30 January 2011 18:34:08(UTC)
FMS

I found this:

http://gramlich.net/projects/mrnet/index.html

This is a nice way to keep this subject a bit simple.

Is there any other source for this type of schematics?
Regards
FMS
Offline arconell  
#9 Posted : 02 February 2011 00:55:25(UTC)
arconell

Hi all,
Frankly the MRNet setup is, well, outdated and has a very limited scope. Why reinvent the wheel? I run ITrain software on a Mac (also runs under Widows, ooops.. Windows, Freudian mistake there) hooked up to a IB-COM (Uhlenbrock) and are very satisfied with it.

More in general, using computer control has a number of advantages nowadays:
- Run a fully automated layout of almost any size with as many trains as you like. Trains running on fixed schedules, random schedules etc.
- Operate a switchyard, turntable etc. manually and mix manually operated trains in with the automated operations, with full protection against collisions, controlled speeds and braking when needed.

In terms of hardware, use any command station that has an interface connection, be it USB, serial port or ethernet. I don´t know of any command station on the market today that doesn´t have one. (Tams, Uhlenbrock, Märklins´CS´es, Esu, Loconet, Lenz, to name a few). All these stations operate with a wide variety of train control programs.

Making your layout fit for computer control means digitalizing it like you would when you run and control your trains and switch your turn-outs and signals digitally, i.e. with decoders and feedbacks and indeed you don´t need any such extra´s as braking sections, relays to switch rail power etc. Not that they hurt if you have them but you don´t really need them.

On the investment side it is mostly a matter of personal taste/favourites, much less of more or less possibilities.

Programs are available for free, like RocRail, JMRI or Koploper (Dutch program recently discontinued but still very recent) or the commercial ones, where you can spend up to 400 euro+. All these programs do essentially the same thing as described above. Their look and feel is different and some are more user friendly then others. Essentially all these programs can run your trains fully automatically or manually or anything in between. All programs speak DCC and MM1 and 2, many (not all) speak MFX, simultaneously if you want.
(ITrain software costs less then 80 Euro, IB-COM comes at 120 Euro and if you don,t have a spare PC to run it, run it on your business laptop like I do. It runs 18 trains on a layout with 65 turnouts, 19 signals and 90 feedbacks)

Where to start?
First consider your system and the protocol(s) you are using or intending to use. With MFX your choice of command station is somewhat limited: Märklin, Esu but also Tams Easy Control as a real value for money alternative at 120 Euro)
If you intend to run a fully automated layout make sure to put in enough feedbacks. All programs use the block system with up to 3 feedbacks per block for precise and smooth braking and stopping. In less critical sections mostly 2 feedbacks will suffice.
As for the program: depends largely on your taste, computer platform and wallet. Again, the end result -running trains controlled by your computer- are always the same.

A last thing to consider: you have to put your whole layout into the program, including all digital addresses and functions of locos, function- and turn-out decoders, feedbacks, signals etc. That is a tedious and cumbersome job which has to be done meticulously. The smallest mistake can create havoc on your tracks and may take you days to debug if you are unlucky. Therefore create the block system only after you know exactly what you want to achieve in terms of operational possibilities and document it before you start this programming. Read the manual carefully before you start. Again some programs (and manuals) are easier to debug then others.

All commercial programs have fully operational free demos available. Use them and test them thoroughly before spending your money.

Well, I guess that´s all folks!!

Best regards, Robert

Offline GSRR  
#10 Posted : 02 February 2011 01:44:22(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Robert,

Nice post. Personally I will be using iTrain once I get it configured properly. (build the layout)

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline trainbert  
#11 Posted : 05 February 2011 21:07:19(UTC)
trainbert

Hello Greg and all others,

I am using RocRail to satisfaction on 3 different computers, Windows (XP, Vista, 7), Apple Mac Mini, Linux (Ubuntu 10) with iPhone as remote control.

The forum has about 1500 users with the majority in German, but also a Dutch and an English section.

RocRail can drive almost all digital systems, factory build as well as home-brew. I am currently working at a project with Peter Giling for Ethernet to LocoNet.

Regards,
Bert
Regards,
Bert
Lover of large trains and running RocRail with ECoS, IntelliBox and LocoBuffer.
My website
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 05 February 2011 21:12:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: trainbert Go to Quoted Post
I am currently working at a project with Peter Giling for Ethernet to LocoNet.

By this do you mean an ability to connect to a Loconet interface from any controller with an ethernet port?

I note that ESU are releasing a Loconet interface for the Ecos / CS1R.