Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cbass  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2011 14:28:26(UTC)
cbass

HI everyone I hope this is Ok to post here.I have about eight sets of Hamo street trolleys (various colors).Some appear to be new in the box. and locomotives a v80 and a v160.As well as alot of track ,over head conectors ,transformers, scenery, etc.Are these collectable.I have found several prices for the trolleys but they rang anywhere from $80 to $800.I can't find anything for the loco's.They were all bought around 1951 i belive and I have two of each kind One thats new in box and one that has been used some.I live in the midwest and all of the train enthusist i have talked to have either not heard of hamo Or says its made by marklin.Basicaly they had no interest in them. I am pretty sure these were made before marklin took over hamo.I am not looking to sale right now just would like to know what I have.Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Offline Philip  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2011 16:19:44(UTC)
Philip

HAMO trams are among connoisseurs a collector's item.
And will therefore have a relatively decent price especially if the condition is as described.
The company was founded in 1951 under the name FEMO and taken over by the Company Alfred Hannemann Modellbau by HAMO and marketed trams from 1953 to 1959 developed several trams model type with two axles and a second type with four axles - two trucks. In 1959 came the two locomotives type V 80 and V 160 - "Lollo".
The last model tram as the company made was a vintage type with two axles and a matching trailer that came 1962-63.
In October 1963, the original company dissolved and reconstituted in February 1964 where Märklin acquired it. Slowly, after the company was converted to produce Marklin DC versions and 1966 was the last year where the trams were trading then it is probably more widely known that it was the name of direct current editions of Märklin until 1987.
Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Online Unholz  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2011 16:20:28(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
Here is something about the history of the HAMO model streetcars before the company was taken over by Marklin:

http://alte-modellbahnen...r-HAMO-Strassenbahn.html

The story is in German language, but I guess that a machine translation will give you the relevant facts. Otherwise somebody here will surely be able to help you with the translation.
Offline cbass  
#4 Posted : 23 January 2011 17:10:46(UTC)
cbass

Thanks guys,They were purchased around 1959 not '51 like I said earlier.Sounds like if I ever sell them.It will have to be to someone in Europe.I could send some pics if someone was willing to give me an idea of what I have is worth.
Offline husson73  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2011 12:15:56(UTC)
husson73

Hamo had built trolley and as you noticed only two diesel locomotives the V80 and the V 160 Lollo which is one of new (repainting model from an other Marklin model) Marklin model for 2011.
On the Kolls, you have small article about theses two locsCool
3 rails HO OO O I, DC and AC, analogic and digital.
Offline cookee_nz  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2011 03:37:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cbass Go to Quoted Post
HI everyone I hope this is Ok to post here.I have about eight sets of Hamo street trolleys (various colors).Some appear to be new in the box. and locomotives a v80 and a v160.As well as alot of track ,over head conectors ,transformers, scenery, etc.Are these collectable.I have found several prices for the trolleys but they rang anywhere from $80 to $800.I can't find anything for the loco's.They were all bought around 1951 i belive and I have two of each kind One thats new in box and one that has been used some.I live in the midwest and all of the train enthusist i have talked to have either not heard of hamo Or says its made by marklin.Basicaly they had no interest in them. I am pretty sure these were made before marklin took over hamo.I am not looking to sale right now just would like to know what I have.Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Hi cbass,

Have you actually run them? - I think once you do you may become hooked!! I have some Hamo trams that I purchased a few years ago, two of the plastic body style and two of the die-cast version - (# 205?). They run absolutely superb and I am very much looking forward to when I can incorporate them into my layout.

But Marklin definately did sell a few under their own banner as per this image.....

Hamo Trams - Marklin Label

My biggest hurdle has been getting any catalogues for them, particularly from the 50's (at a sensible price). I'm not worried about getting actual physical catalogues, even some scans would be ok.

Others have already answered about the history of HAMO so I will leave it at that except to say that I understood that when Marklin took over, the Trams were still part of the range for about maybe4 years or so until perhaps mid-late 60's although the Trams do not appear in the general Marklin catalogues for the period. They may have had a separate catalogue for the last few years but as I said, trying to get copies is very difficult.

PS - If anyone has any they could scan and email me I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Steve
Kiwi in Melbourne
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline rhobson1968  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2011 04:17:44(UTC)
rhobson1968

I would just put them on Ebay. You will get the value for them there. I found a dozen Hamo Street Cars a couple of years ago in a hobby shop in a box. I paid $10 for each of them. They sold on Ebay for $250-$300 a piece... Of course I used the money to by MORE MARKLIN!!!!...ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Never quit building.
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2011 10:44:44(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rhobson1968 Go to Quoted Post
I would just put them on Ebay. You will get the value for them there. I found a dozen Hamo Street Cars a couple of years ago in a hobby shop in a box. I paid $10 for each of them. They sold on Ebay for $250-$300 a piece... Of course I used the money to by MORE MARKLIN!!!!...ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Stories like that are the best - the awesome find you never saw coming.

I was once in a little town in the North Island of NZ and roaming the second shops as one of my favourite past-times when I came across a pile of railway related magazines. Then among them I spied an old Rivarossi catalogue from the 50's, in English so I dug around a little more and found another 3 or 4. I thought they would be useful for someone, and I think the whole lot cost me like $10 or something. I've sold a lot of old Faller catalogues in the past and thought I might make a little return on them.

I was going to list them locally but decided to try my luck on Ebay, and specifically on Ebay.it. Well the price went through the roof, over 100 Euro's for each of them. I guess that not only were they in very good condition, but obviously hard to find in Italy in English, and rare years on top of that.

I was rather pleased with that result and I'm pretty sure most of the profit found its way back in to the train budget.

Having said that though, the countless fruitless hours I've spent in second-hand shops without fining anything of even remote interest tends to balance it out.

This probably warrants a new topic - "your most profitable find" - I'll kick it off

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline husson73  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2011 13:13:06(UTC)
husson73

more informations about Hamo tramways still in German but with also Marklin references
http://www.modellbahnarc...chland/Hamo/Straba.shtml
3 rails HO OO O I, DC and AC, analogic and digital.