Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 21 January 2011 06:02:21(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Nofification:

Although I'm a seller of ESU components I will make my review as plain as possible.

Received my ECoS command station today and have taken 4 pictures.
There will be a follow up of the digital review components in due course by reading through and setting it up.

I was quite shocked when I've opened up the package, the different size from a Märklin MS1 to this monster.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

John

Edited by user 22 January 2011 08:48:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline GSRR  
#2 Posted : 21 January 2011 06:05:18(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Congrats John. Did you receive the IR controller also?

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 21 January 2011 06:36:38(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
Congrats John. Did you receive the IR controller also?

r/Thomas

Thomas,

Yes, this will be my next review.

John

Nofification:

Although I'm a seller of ESU components I will make my review as plain as possible.

Edited by user 22 January 2011 08:49:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2011 07:17:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Nice one John. Looking forward to your review.
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2011 07:36:39(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Nice one John. Looking forward to your review.

Dave,

Receiving the Command station makes me feel like a grown up now, compared with the MS1.

I think I need an extra command station in my brain to cope with this new gadget or it least an updateBigGrin

John
Offline Writhdar  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2011 15:28:49(UTC)
Writhdar

John,

are you getting the wireless radio control unit (50111) or an IR unit?

Dan
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2011 17:04:32(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Writhdar Go to Quoted Post
John,

are you getting the wireless radio control unit (50111) or an IR unit?

Dan

Dan,

Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2011 06:08:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Nofification:

Review of ESU ECoS Command Station 50200:

Power supply: comes with an adapter from 100-240 V AC
Output: 4 Amp
Locos input: plenty to register
Decoders M4, MFX: automatic recognition
S 88's: 32
mobile stations with M. adapter: 3 (connected to ECoS)
6021: 1
ECoS radio control (50111): 6
Screen: touch, colour.

Loco symbols: limited numbers of photos, at this stage i can't say whether or not the symbol database can be upgraded and it may has as I haven't updated the ECoS from 3.1.1 to 3.3.3

To call up a loco there are plenty of options to do so.

With my amount of locos I have, it is necessary to put them in some sort of order and one can do this with an ECoS:

You have 3 main symbols to register your locos with: Steam, Diesel, Electric plus you've got extra 3 symbols whereas you can also register your locos.
My locos consists of DB, ÖBB, SBB, SNCF and a small amount of other Railway companies.

For instance all my DB Locos: Steam, Diesel and Electric go into database with these symbols
All my ÖBB locos go into the same category but I'm adding the subcategory 1 with it.

without going into it to deeply, you have several options to call up your locos:
1.) main database:

a.) shows the type of loco )e.g. Steam, Diesel, Electric and if you added a sub-category to it e.g. (Steam + subcategory 1, in my case ÖBB Steam locos or subcategory 2 = SBB Steam locos, or sub-category 3 = SNCF Steam locos
b.) the decoder address
c.) the name of the loco
d.) it also tells you in the database whether or not a loco is active (running)

To register a loco it is easy as ABC, no hassles, simple and straight forward.
This of course does not apply to MFX or M4 decoders.

All you have to make sure you press the "OK" button to save your registration
You can set the speed for each loco (2options: a.) speed steps or speed, e.g. 50kmh/h), functions and symbols for your radio control unit,
enter the name of the loco, decoder number.

Enter decoder Number:
N/A for M4 or MFX decoder

again if you have a small amount of locos (20 or so) it isn't much of a problem to add a decoder number to your loco.
when we are talking about 50 or 100 locos this becomes a bit more complicated, not the registration but finding a suitable loco number for all your locos.

I have this method for the moment adopted and it can be changed easely if any of the decoder numbers conflict with each other, providing you haven't actually changed the decoder in the loco (more work and time)

I've started with the actual Loco Road number, e.g. BR 01, BR 18, BR 50 and have registered the loco decoder number with these numbers (not programmed)
So whats happens when you've got 3 BR 50's or 3 or 4 BR 44's, they can't all have the number 44.
for instance my 44's have 3 distinctive marks I can identify which is which, a.) no wind reflectors, large handle bar in front and small handle bar.
My current 50 classes , I have 3 also, 1 DB and 2 ÖBB. I've used the decoder number 50 for the DB and have divided the 2 ÖBB locos into Rh 50/1 and Rh 50/2 and the following decoder numbers are: 51 & 52.

Another point is to make sure your a.) DB, ÖBB, SBB and SNCF decoders no do not clash with each other and I have left other options open in case of any changes, a.) will I put DB decoder numbers from e.g. 1-50, ÖBB decoder numbers from 51-100 and so forth, more thoughts have to go into it to find the most practical solution.

This is the main loco bank:

a.)on the right you can key in the loco decoder
b.)touch the loco line you'll require

b.) scroll up and down the page:
1.) use the joystick
2.) or up and down arrows
3.) use the symbols underneath it

so there is a range of options to call up your loco.

You will also notice with the BR locos there is only one symbol wheras with the ÖBB locos there are 2.

UserPostedImage

this is the loco menu for ÖBB diesel locos and the same here ÖBB locos with 2 symbols and DB BR Diesel locos will only have one symbol

UserPostedImage

This screen shows, SBB electric locos with 2 symbols with the second symbol carrying the number 2, ÖBB electric locos will carry the number 1 and DB electric locos just the electric loco symbol

UserPostedImage

These 2 crocodiles have each a letter in front = M for Märklin and R for Roco.
I think this is necessary to differentiate them when you use double traction (different gearing)

UserPostedImage

the symbol "ABC" sets the list by alphabetical order

UserPostedImage

or "A" a loco is active (running)

UserPostedImage

on the far left, the individual decoder number and next door how many speed steps the loco has been set at.
The symbol "123" sets the locos in order by decoder number,

UserPostedImage

There are a few restrictions of what to do and not to do:

a.) When uploading new programs, disconnect power and take out batteries.

This is the first review and I will follow up with new reviews when I'll get familiarized with other commands and sections of the ECoS command station.

John

Edited by user 22 January 2011 09:57:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2011 11:28:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Enter decoder Number:
N/A for M4 or MFX decoder

For M4 decoders the MM address is shown - and can be used for loco selection.
Just type e. g. "16" on the keyboard in the loco selection screen and list will show all locos with address 16 (including M4 locos with MM address 16).

I think user-defined loco symbols were introduced with version 3.3.0, so it can be done after an update.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Caralain  
#10 Posted : 22 January 2011 17:46:44(UTC)
Caralain

United States   
Hey John:

Yes, you can customize the locomotive data base very easily. You have first to register at http://www.esu.eu/en/register/. Then connect your 50200 to your internet router (see p.38-39 of the instructions for details). When done, go to http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/loco-pictures/ and select the loco you need. Esu has published a booklet explaining exactly how to download icons. You can find it here: http://www.esu.eu/upload...EN_August_2010_eBook.pdf

I personally have the CS1 reloaded but the software is exactly the same as yours. This is real compatibility all along Esu products. The big difference with the 50200 is of course the color display, the knobs and the 4-ways joysticks.

Pierre
Offline GSRR  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2011 18:36:03(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
John,

Thanks for the review and pictures.

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 23 January 2011 05:53:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Hi All,

As members we most probably buy things or stuff on the spur of the moment or inquire about different products in this forum.
since I've started converting my locos, as mentioned before, converting approx. 200 locos with Märklin high efficiency motors + decoders was too expensive, so I've looked at different options and only by searching into the subject found Märklin decoders wasn't the choice.
I've came across ESU, open protocol and automatic recognition which system you are running, at the same time they've offered a loco programmer, so naturally I went for ESU.
I was horrified when I read Märklin had introduced a new digital system, in hinesight, it was time.
My collection of the old Motorola system consisted of 14 keyboards, 9 boosters, 2 control units (6020) and x amount of transformers and hand made 500 VA (10 x 50 VA) and 150 VA (3 x 50 VA = for boosters)) transformers, memories and loco control untis (80 & 80f).

I've been looking for a new digital system for a while and decided I'll sit back and wait for something new to happen.

Idon't think for a minute, that a new system or control unit will not appear again in the near future but nevertheless I've opted out of the Märklin CS, a.) uncertainty as it developed over the years, b.) not being compatible with anything else on the market, a closed circuit decoder system and to some extend, the original waiting time and to some extend the bugs most members experienced and I'm not referring Märklin was the only one.

ESU over time has produced products in conjunction with the old Märklin system, (6020, 6021) without any major sub components and this attracted me to the ECoS.
Another point was the new Control radio, having a layout this size (13m x 5m), the Märklin MS wasn't the ideal mobile station for my layout having a restricted space to move (as Dave knows, I like my space) and the same I think would have occured with CS1 or CS2.
With the radio control I can have 6 units, which is more than enough and it can hold up to 100 locos which again was suitable for my needs.

So here are more 1st hand experiences of setting up the Command Station

the following pictures will show, how I have selected and separated the different locos from steam, diesel and electrics and also the different Railway companies such as DB, ÖBB, SBB(BLS), SNCF. SJ, SNCB, CFL, the latter ones only consisting of a small number of locos

the first photos you will see is by pressing different icons I will be able to see individual locos from a specific country of origin.

this tablet shows all locos, e.g. steam or country of origin

UserPostedImage

this tablet shows all electric locos, e.g. countries of origin

UserPostedImage

this tablet shows all steam locos, e.g. countries of origin

UserPostedImage

this one shows all steam locos from the DB classes but I can't separate the other steam locos from this list they will however disappear of the screen as I add more DB steam locos because of the alphabetical order and "BR" or "DR" comes first.

UserPostedImage

This screen show all ÖBB steam locos

UserPostedImage

and this one shows all SBB steam locos

UserPostedImage

we now go to the diesel locos from other countries;

ÖBB
UserPostedImage

CFL
UserPostedImage

and this tablet shows all diesel locos registered

UserPostedImage

now DB electrics, as more DB electrics will be registered other country electric will disappear of the screen, this is providing you are sorting each loco alphabetical

UserPostedImage
Offline GSRR  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2011 01:35:01(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
John,

I just purchased an ECoS 50000 and your posts are very helpful, thank you.

r/Thomas

Offline Writhdar  
#14 Posted : 25 March 2011 23:10:08(UTC)
Writhdar

I recently got the ECoS 2 (50200) and the Control Radio. I am very pleased with them. Had some self-inflicted glitches but they have been dealt with. My previous digital control experience was the MS1 (it worked fine for me but was loco number limited and was not wireless) and wireless controllers on a friend's huge American HO layout. Wireless controllers are so much more enjoyable than fixed units - it's great to follow the trains around up close.

The base unit itself is also fun to use. As I mentioned in another post, one can have up to 10 locos displayed and instantly controllable on the base unit. Each of the unit's two "cabs" can be in single or multiple mode. Five locos are displayed in multiple mode.

This picture shows a 5 loco display on the left "cab" and a single one the right cab. For the selected loco (just touch with stylus), the function icons are visible on the side.

UserPostedImage

Here, 10 locos are displayed.
UserPostedImage

I also have two MS1's connected - wanted to find some use for them!

So, despite risking possible censure - and charges of blasphemy - from those north of Hadrian's Wall, I give the ECoS 2 & Control Radio high marks.
Offline dntower85  
#15 Posted : 29 March 2011 18:16:26(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
I recently got the ECoS 2 (50200) and the Control Radio. I am very pleased with them. Had some self-inflicted glitches but they have been dealt with. My previous digital control experience was the MS1 (it worked fine for me but was loco number limited and was not wireless) and wireless controllers on a friend's huge American HO layout. Wireless controllers are so much more enjoyable than fixed units - it's great to follow the trains around up close.

The base unit itself is also fun to use. As I mentioned in another post, one can have up to 10 locos displayed and instantly controllable on the base unit. Each of the unit's two "cabs" can be in single or multiple mode. Five locos are displayed in multiple mode.

This picture shows a 5 loco display on the left "cab" and a single one the right cab. For the selected loco (just touch with stylus), the function icons are visible on the side.

Here, 10 locos are displayed.
UserPostedImage

I also have two MS1's connected - wanted to find some use for them!

So, despite risking possible censure - and charges of blasphemy - from those north of Hadrian's Wall, I give the ECoS 2 & Control Radio high marks.

Dan,

I found 10 locs at one time almost too much to thank about. I got my Ecos sniffer to work well with my 6021 as long as I didn't have a loco with the same address sitting in the multiple select window. Blushing

Have you tried an s88 yet? I still have the problem with mine.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Writhdar  
#16 Posted : 29 March 2011 18:33:24(UTC)
Writhdar

Hi Darrin,

Yes - for me, 10 locos are too much at the same time! I have run up to about six to eight just to "parade" around but typically run 2 -3 as I like to do "operations". Even then, I like the Multi-cab mode as it is so quick to select locos. I also simply like how the display looks.

I do not have an s88. All my turnouts are analogue - there is a slight possibility I might go digital because being able to "click" the switch on the track diagram seems like fun. However, I'm not sure it's worth the cost and effort - particularly with the state of the 74490 turnout solenoids (as discussed in posts by others re the 74490 & 74491). The only "occupancy" detectors I have are the Azatrax IR detectors and I use them in a simple "notification mode" for my shadow stations.

Dan
Offline dntower85  
#17 Posted : 29 March 2011 18:45:35(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Hi Darrin,

Yes - for me, 10 locos are too much at the same time! I have run up to about six to eight just to "parade" around but typically run 2 -3 as I like to do "operations". Even then, I like the Multi-cab mode as it is so quick to select locos. I also simply like how the display looks.

I do not have an s88. All my turnouts are analogue - there is a slight possibility I might go digital because being able to "click" the switch on the track diagram seems like fun. However, I'm not sure it's worth the cost and effort - particularly with the state of the 74490 turnout solenoids (as discussed in posts by others re the 74490 & 74491). The only "occupancy" detectors I have are the Azatrax IR detectors and I use them in a simple "notification mode" for my shadow stations.

Dan

You need to go digital with the turnouts, you don't know what your missing by being able to just click the track map and always know which way the points are turned, also clicking on a rout and several switches all align to the correct path.ThumpUp ThumpUp Cool

I would also think that the IR detectors could be connected to an s88 possibly with a small transistor circuit.
DT
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Writhdar  
#18 Posted : 29 March 2011 20:53:17(UTC)
Writhdar

I can certainly see how controlling turnouts from the track diagram would be very "cool". Not as neat but still useful is that the 72710 switch boxes I use give a red - green LED feedback as to the switch position. I also have simplified track plan diagrams (paper) by the 72710's so quick & certain switching is very easy.

The Azatrax detectors do have an output circuit that can be connected to other devices but I don't presently see a need for that on my layout.
Offline Rinus  
#19 Posted : 07 April 2011 21:57:04(UTC)
Rinus

Hi John,

I was wondering if this ESU Commander system is compatibele with the Uhlenbrock Lissy system?

I would consider such a system, if only it would support my Lissy system, in which I have put a lot of money.

Rinus
Offline dntower85  
#20 Posted : 07 April 2011 22:25:49(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
Hi John,

I was wondering if this ESU Commander system is compatibele with the Uhlenbrock Lissy system?

I would consider such a system, if only it would support my Lissy system, in which I have put a lot of money.

Rinus

Yes With the new L.Net adapter it might be possible. It says it supports Daisy® and Lissy

L.net Adapter – The Integrator

The great variety of the ESU ECoS command station is so convincing to many model railroaders that they would like to replace their present digital station with an ECoS. This also has been inspiring the desire to continue to use the existing handheld throttles and feedback modules. The ECoSniffer input offered at least a solution for handheld throttles (in combination with „older"digital command stations), whereas the feedback modules couldn’t be integrated into the system.

For the first time, it is possible to connect Uhlenbrock® or Digitrax® handheld throttles directly to the ECoS or Central Station 60212 „Reloaded", thanks to the ESU L.net Adapter. Additionally, you can continue to use or integrate the infra-red Lissy® devices as well as feedback devices which support the well-known Loconet® communication protocol. So, what can the L.net Adapter do now?

http://www.esu.eu/filead...2011_ESU_KG_EN_eBook.pdf
DT
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dntower85
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 07 April 2011 22:30:23(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Rinus, the Lissy system relies on the Loconet system for communication between devices. One of our Marklin club members has some experience with Lissy, as does Clapcott.

ESU has recently announced a Loconet adapter for the Ecos, so I'm guessing you might be able to connect an Intellibox to the Ecos as a remote controller, via Loconet, thereby gaining access to the Lissy system, as well as the Uhlenbrock Switchboard panel and other devices.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Rinus  
#22 Posted : 08 April 2011 08:23:34(UTC)
Rinus

Ok. Thanks.

I read the ESU brochure in the link you gave. Do you think / know if Ecos does support the full range of Lissy features or does it just use Lissy as an expensive contactrail (Like the viessman system or the Win Digiped software).

I'm very pleased with the Lissy system for it is a very secure way of communication between the command post and the trains, but am also very interested in a system with which to programme and ultimately automate trafic control. A combination would be great.

Rinus
Offline dntower85  
#23 Posted : 08 April 2011 14:38:17(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rinus Go to Quoted Post
Ok. Thanks.

I read the ESU brochure in the link you gave. Do you think / know if Ecos does support the full range of Lissy features or does it just use Lissy as an expensive contactrail (Like the viessman system or the Win Digiped software).

I'm very pleased with the Lissy system for it is a very secure way of communication between the command post and the trains, but am also very interested in a system with which to programme and ultimately automate trafic control. A combination would be great.

Rinus

Rinus,

You would still have to operate an automated layout with an external computer and program. ESU stated that they do not want to try to implement a full automation into to the ECoS.
They do have things like shuttle trains and some simple routs.
I think they feel its hard enough to incorporate so many different systems into there unit that trying to develop an automation program to properly implement each system would be impractical.
Before making a decision on the ECoS you should try contacting some of the train software makers and see how and if they will implement the Lissy system thorough the ECoS, Its kind of tough since the L.net isn't even out yet. Your in uncharted waters.
The reason that I went with the ECoS is the Railcom feature that will detect which loc crossed a feedback section of the track if the decoder is equipped with railcom.
DT