Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Would you buy a Märklin loco with a minimum radius of 420 mm?
Choice Votes Statistics
(Poll is closed)  Total 68 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register. The poll has expired.
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2011 19:30:01(UTC)
H0

What would you do if Märklin releases a "must have" model that requires a minimum radius of 420 mm (R2).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2011 19:33:05(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, my BR45 scrapes the wheel under the cab towards the cab on 360mm (R1) so I have already bought one... Sad

Why should you buy something that does not work for you?...

However, I have bought 2 Heljan locs with "Option 2" in mind... Just because I wanted them, probably it's option 3 or 4 for them in reality...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2011 22:03:43(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have some of C-tracks 1st Radius included Curved turnouts.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline TimR  
#4 Posted : 16 January 2011 22:22:40(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
With the typical Marklin electrics and diesels - we are unlikely to see any problem with R1.

But when it comes to steamers, it's a different thing entirely...
These days, the best practice is to plan layout for the model that you are intending to buy, but due to various limitations/conditions, not everyone will be able to do it.

Already quite a few Marklin model may pose problems on existing layouts built prior to them being introduced.

For example:
Big Boys need a lot of clearance around the track, even if it cleared R1 curves. Hazard to catenary heavy layouts, and around those R1 turnouts.

BR45, as Juhan mentioned above, is another example of a model that just 'barely making it' and probably best to be ran on minimum R2. The Trix version if I recall, has a recommended minimum radius of R2.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 16 January 2011 22:33:13(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
With the typical Marklin electrics and diesels - we are unlikely to see any problem with R1.

The Trix E 19.0 is untypical - minimum radius 420 mm.
Maybe she'll be the first non-R1 Märklin model.
Or she'll never come in a 3-rail version (more likely, I'm afraid).

The new BR 50.40 and R1 could become an interesting topic, too. Time will tell.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Loadmaster  
#6 Posted : 16 January 2011 22:35:24(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
I only have R2 & R3 with some R4 curves.
I never purchased any R1 because it makes the passenger cars angle to sharpely.

Robert
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline TimR  
#7 Posted : 16 January 2011 23:30:02(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The Trix E 19.0 is untypical - minimum radius 420 mm.

So is the Trix ET56 trainset (T22625/22626) - minimum radius 420 mm. Quite a good looking model, I think.

The new BR 50.40 and R1 could become an interesting topic, too. Time will tell.

Right.
How does this one going to perform?
Basically, its five driving axle underframe will not be articulated as the previous model (save cost) - so the current model that it will most closely ressemble is the BR45.
Offline mrmarklin  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2011 07:21:15(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   

Neither the ETE modules nor my layout ((very much a work in progress (or lack thereof))have sharp curves.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 17 January 2011 12:25:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Without R1 curves, I'm dead in the water. I would have to totally redesign my layout and eliminate double track operating. This would limit me to running one train at a time.

If I were to buy locos that don't run on R1, I can limit them to the outer track, but I might have to remove the curved turnouts, which are R1 as well.

Yes, the long coaches look silly on R1 curves, which is also why I prefer shorter-than-scale coaches. It's the best compromise all round which still allows me to run express trains.

Haven't we talked about all this a million times before!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline husson73  
#10 Posted : 17 January 2011 12:41:32(UTC)
husson73

Of course, I'm a PLM railroad compagny fan, specially the old electric locs from the Maurienne, lateral rail out the stations and wire on the stations, and there a compagny in FRANCE which build them in brass and do them in 3R digital if you ask.
Have already two on the four, wait the third and one (of the two I still get) could only uses R5 C track (and after working on)Cool
3 rails HO OO O I, DC and AC, analogic and digital.
Offline perz  
#11 Posted : 17 January 2011 20:46:34(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
I think the Märklin policy to always support 360 mm radius is important. Model railroading should not just be for the ones who have huge train rooms. If your space is small enough it is R1 curves or no layout at all. I have lots of 360 mm on my layout, but even if I hadn't I think the 360 mm capability would be worth defending just because of everybody else with too little space. Buying a Märklin H0 loco that did not manage 360 mm radius would be to support a development in the wrong direction. If you want someone to not do something, you should not give him money for doing it.
Offline mvd71  
#12 Posted : 17 January 2011 21:47:45(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post
I think the Märklin policy to always support 360 mm radius is important. Model railroading should not just be for the ones who have huge train rooms. If your space is small enough it is R1 curves or no layout at all. I have lots of 360 mm on my layout, but even if I hadn't I think the 360 mm capability would be worth defending just because of everybody else with too little space. Buying a Märklin H0 loco that did not manage 360 mm radius would be to support a development in the wrong direction. If you want someone to not do something, you should not give him money for doing it.

I agree. I think the fact that marklin have continued to make loco's capable of handling the R1 curve is testament to the calibre of the company. It makes their product available to more people and doesn't force people to change their layouts in order to have nice models.ThumpUp

I personally don't have any R1 on my layout (but that could easily change) and I often find myself thinking that the people who complain the loudest over R1 curves, or shortened coaches, are the ones who's layouts don't always look that special anyway. (Please try not to be offended). And let's face it, a Big Boy looks odd on an R2 curve too!

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 17 January 2011 23:22:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
Haven't we talked about all this a million times before!

I started a poll to get some figures.

So: no arguing, please - and use your vote!
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#14 Posted : 17 January 2011 23:39:46(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The difference between R1 and R2 is only around 4 inches so its not much to add to a layout for an outside track. (add to both sides of course) Where I find R1 useful is in the middle of a layout for reverse loops etc.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline pab  
#15 Posted : 17 January 2011 23:54:15(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
I have no R1 on my lay-out, R2 is minimum.
Most trains look better on larger curves.
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 18 January 2011 00:09:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I started a poll to get some figures.

So: no arguing, please - and use your vote!

I did! I thought you might want to get some opinions as well. Sorry if you don't agree with them!
Ray
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#17 Posted : 18 January 2011 00:20:01(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
R2 doesn't scare me as I can fit it in a reasonable space. I've been shocked to see a few of my Roco's that supposedly have an R3 minimum handle R2 no problen and R1 carefully!

On the other hand, a 22" radius like the new MTH locomotives are is a deal-killer. If I had that kind of space I'd be running O scale!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline TimR  
#18 Posted : 18 January 2011 00:25:48(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
I think this thread doesn't have anything to do with R1 vs R2 argument..

Me thinks that the point of Tom's question is,
If Marklin made an irresistable model (to your taste) that (for the sake of its beauty) can only be run in 420mm, will you still buy it?

Understandbly, those who already have their own layout built around R1 curves, this will not be an option.

Those who already make provision to run everything on 420 mm curve minimum, of course will have no problem running it.

For the rest, the question is, will you or can you make sacrifices in your layout design to accomodate it?
Offline nevw  
#19 Posted : 18 January 2011 00:27:19(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
John,
I believe on what I have read here that Rocos R2 is M R1 and therefore Roco R3 is M R2.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline john black  
#20 Posted : 18 January 2011 00:50:00(UTC)
john black

United States   
Do agree with Ray - all of my locos & cars must handle R1. Thus no buy Flapper
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 18 January 2011 00:59:37(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayPayas Go to Quoted Post
I did! I thought you might want to get some opinions as well. Sorry if you don't agree with them!

It wasn't my intention to address you, I wanted to address all to avoid repeating discussions we had before (thus I quoted that particular sentence from you).
Maybe I should have made my intention clearer. I'm sorry that I made you feel "uncomfortable" (I'm lacking a better word here).

I'm glad about opinions. But threads can easily go down the drain if we start to discuss length scale again (and this was discussed before as you mentioned).

Opinions are welcome.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#22 Posted : 18 January 2011 01:02:25(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
my layout has no visible 360mm or 424mm radius curves but I do use them in hidden areas.

In the visible area, curves are 553mm or larger.

So if the loco was to just hang around the Bw or main station I could buy it and operate it, but I would not be able to run a train with it. I do that already however with most of my locos. I tend to have 7 locos that do all the running about and the others are in the engine yard and workshops... others live in the display cabinet.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 18 January 2011 01:48:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is interesting to see the different points of view on this and other issues. What I find hard to comprehend is the rigidity of those points of view.
For example, a member might have an old or existing layout with R1 and R2. Their primary interest may be to have more loks and rolling stock for that layout.
Others build layouts and are interested in the options that new larger radii offer, so they build new layouts and either integrate the original one into the new plan, or replace the old layout with the new one.
Perhaps, because I have not had the chance to build a permanent layout, I have my old collection of M Track, some K Track with R4 and R5 from my college days and the new C Track in R4 and R5 AC and R3 DC.
Would those with an existing M Track or small radii K or C layout consider larger radii if they decided to make a new layout?
Would those with R2 and R1 curves who insert straight tracks between quarter circles consider replacing those straights and curves with larger radii curves (w/o straights)?
Would it help if Maerklin offered a better selection of switches for larger radii, including curved switches between 3, 4 and 5?
Clearly Maerklin has to attract new clients to survive. Does this mean that they have to be open to new ideas and models that are more realistic in addition to satisfying their existing clientele?

We are all willing to accept some kind of compromise in the operation of our layouts on tracks that are way too tight radii for actual scale trackage.

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 18 January 2011 09:53:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It wasn't my intention to address you, I wanted to address all to avoid repeating discussions we had before (thus I quoted that particular sentence from you).
Maybe I should have made my intention clearer. I'm sorry that I made you feel "uncomfortable" (I'm lacking a better word here).

I'm glad about opinions. But threads can easily go down the drain if we start to discuss length scale again (and this was discussed before as you mentioned).

Opinions are welcome.

No problem, I didn't really take offence. My comment was meant to be "tongue in cheek", but I guess it didn't come across as I intended.

The question of scale length is, in my opinion, closely linked to track radii, in that one leads to the other. Very long wagons can't negotiate tight curves because of the overhang. I realise that this is not the intention of the poll, though.

As someone else pointed out, Some manufacturers specify minimum R2, but they mean 360mm, which is Marklin C and M track R1. In this case we are specifying an even greater limitation. I think it's a step too far for most Marklin layouts. If Marklin go down this route they will alienate a proportion of their customer base. Will this be made up for by those who prefer less compromise in scale? Perhaps, but I think that most of these "purists" are already abandoning Marklin for other brands anyway and are already catered for. Time will tell.

Ray
Offline MarioFabro  
#25 Posted : 18 January 2011 16:02:03(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
R1 is always handy in tunnels, hidden sections, hidden yards and industrial areas. The lay-out I am planning has "exposed" only R2 to R5 (with mostly R4 and R5 on the mainline). However, my hidden part reversing loop has R1 and so do some curves in tunnels. It would be a pain to have a loco that cannot negotiate those curves.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"