Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steamfriend  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2004 16:23:56(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi everybody,
This is a question I launched about a year ago without any answer, so I try again : (cannot believe nobody has thought about this biggrin )

The question concerns the minimum radius that can be taken when equipping the steamlocs with their - separately delivered - pistonrod protection sliders, that come in front of the cilinders. Marklin mentions that, when fitting these, the minimum curve radius to drive on is 500 mm. In my schattenbahnhof i have many turnouts with radius 437 mm, the standard turnout for C tracks. I tried, and most of the times the machines do pass, but sometimes with a blocked frontrunner - just smoothly sliding further [:o)] )
I wonder if any of you had other experiences... Or do you all drive with out these attributes ?

Thanks for opinions or advice !

Bob
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2004 16:48:05(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi Bob, I have C track and radii are 5, 4 and 3. My BR03 with those sliders can negotiate R5 but for it to take R4 and R3 I needed to do some filing in the rods, from the bottom side. Otherwise, the front small wheels enter in touch with the rods. So you can eliminate the lower part of the rods, at small steps, until the wheels do not touch them or, at least, they don't derail.
Hope this can help.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline steamfriend  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2004 02:34:15(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for your comments. What you mention is what I was afraid of :
If I am correct , R4 and R3 are larger than 500mm. So, does that mean your BR 03 cannot negociate the normal C-track turnouts, which have even a R2 ??

UserPostedImage

My BR01 can even take R1 curves, but that is because of the smaller front wheels. On the picture you can clearly see the wheel can almost pass under the sliders. But the BR03 has larger front wheels, so I can understand your point. Does that mean she cannot run the standard turnouts, and you can only use her on the smooth turnouts ?

Love to hear from this, since riding without the sliders is not very acceptable to me [:p]

Cheers,

Bob
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2004 06:02:07(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Hi Bob, I see you love prototypical Loks. Your BR01 is a masterpiece...
You're right, turnouts should be the long 12° ones, no short turnouts for your BR03.
You know, standard turnouts are R2 and curved ones are R1.
I have only 12° turnouts and can run all 2-rail units without any changes, only the pickup shoe.
R5 and R4 for the main track and R3 only where R4 is not possible.
Regards from Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline steamfriend  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2004 10:58:08(UTC)
steamfriend

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the compliment biggrin ! I did this work long time ago, with Merker & Fischer parts, a company no longer existing. I stopped 25 years ago, and took up the hobby again. I plan a layout with shadowstation and only a few visible tracks, along a locomotive depot.

I too plan to use only the long turnouts in the visible part of the track, but planned my shadowstation wiht the standard ones. It looks as though I have to change my plans all over then [:(][:(], and what is worse, that I see my entire project being shrinked ! Probably, I should then only focus on a 'Bahnbetriebswerk' only...

Thanks,

Bob