Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline H0  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2011 18:10:30(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Some chaps in America (one of them thinks that MiWuLa is in Munich) are gonna do it bigger and better.
All that in the famous town Greenville, SC.
Quote:
"What they're doing (in Germany), we're going to do here and a lot better," Ruby said.

Quote:
"If you look at what's been done in Munich, it's a curiosity that attracts the attention of a lot of people," he said. '"It's pretty intriguing."

http://miniatureworldoftrains.com/news

Edit:
New competitor, see post #19:
https://www.marklin-user...-in-2012.aspx#post276823

Edited by user 05 March 2011 17:19:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Darren W  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2011 19:53:58(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
It will be an ambitious project to start from scratch. We'll have to check in and see how they make out.

Darren
Offline rschaffr  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2011 21:05:42(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Talk is cheap. I will be interested to see if they deliver anything near the scope and complexity of MiWuLa. I can't wait to get back to Hamburg to see the new airport they have developed! And Switzerland. That was about half done the last time I was there.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline john black  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2011 22:58:42(UTC)
john black

United States   
Agree, Ron LOL ... now that we've seen their big mouth we wanna see their big pocket SneakyTongue
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline john black  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2011 23:02:07(UTC)
john black

United States   
rschaffr wrote:
can't wait to get back to Hamburg to see the new airport they have developed!

Saw a short trailer on that airport, recently (don't remember the channel, though). Just overwhelming !!! ThumpUp
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2011 23:06:28(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I doubt very much that this will be a fraction of what MiWuLa is. First of all I would buy a ticket to Hamburg anytime before I'd ever buy one to South Carolina. Secondly, I love, collect and operate European Maerklin Model Trains so why would I make a trip to see Atlas et al American stuff in some hick town! PeterRazz

Edited by user 06 March 2011 16:09:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2011 23:20:29(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Well, I have been to Northlandz in Flemington NJ. It is a large footprint building but the layout is unappealing, small in scope and not very well maintained. Also, the building is a firetrap. As to North Carolina, I doubt I would make a trip to there to see it, but if I were passing anywhere near, I would probably stop in and check it out.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 04 January 2011 00:17:38(UTC)
Webmaster

Comparing to MiWuLa as a reference, they sure have an uphill start... Let's see if the talk can make the walk...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Online xxup  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2011 00:53:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Or let's see if they can walk the talk...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline DV  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2011 06:48:40(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Well, the most important procedure has been achieved - the appointments of the different type of committees, boards, presidents, vice presidents, managers and accompanying hangers on. Although it’s strange that two of the original instigators of this enterprise have resigned…….I wonder why?

Also good to see that the second most important item has also been attended to – types of donations you can make – and they are tax deductible because they have set the business up as non-profit(???????). I suppose the main people will get paid and as they say all profits go to making the operation bigger, but will there be profits after all are paid????

Then of course the third most important factor was the merchandising. Gotta get that organised and moving (the T shirts could end up being collectors items).

And the final good move was to suc....oops I mean get the local government on side, as well as many companies as you can schmooz.... oops I mean to donate to your enterprise

Off course the easiest part is building the layout – if all the paid execs are still there (more than the actual workers....who they want to be volunteers.......volunteers?????....more pay to the execs). Sorry can't see that happening in the time span they have set for the completion

Do I sound cynical – you bet I do. When they even can’t spell correctly on their web site and the font changes half way through (even though it is supposed to be done by a professional – must be the IT Director) - and after reading the whole web site - it looks and feels as a potential scam. Maybe I’m being to harsh and I hope I’m wrong and they are successful.

As stated previously can they walk the talk, I don’t think so, I reckon they will trip over all their big statements.

Don’t know why I feel this way but that web site pushed some of my buttons (that haven’t been pushed for a long time). Maybe if it fails it could bring model railroading into a bad light…dunno.

But bigger than MiWuLa……………fellas just keeping smoking what you’re smoking and keep taking the drugs.
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline Ranjit  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2011 08:12:56(UTC)
Ranjit

I will believe it when I see it...

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2011 09:01:32(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Has anybody read the small print ?BigGrin

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline TimR  
#13 Posted : 04 January 2011 10:00:12(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
It sounded a bit too American focused layout for my taste... that's my first impression.
Does bigger = better? Remains to be seen..
Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline SINCrazee  
#14 Posted : 04 January 2011 10:13:50(UTC)
SINCrazee

Those American chaps really have some big mouth and their quite boastful to say the least.They are trying to bring donors.(That is not what are they supposed to do! They should follow the steps of the owners of MiWula (Selling their very profitable pub and build a huge layout from then). They must be waiting for donors to support them which is fat hope(Waiting for money to fall down from the sky.) The only ones in the world that can build a layout which are much better than MiWula are people with earnings like Bill Gates and Paul Allen lol.Laugh LOL
C-track carpetbahn, R1 ,R2,R3 with MS2 and a CS2 plus Marklin and HAG trains..
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 04 January 2011 10:17:38(UTC)
H0

TimR wrote:
Does bigger = better?

They're talking about 30,000 sq ft, so it's larger.
And they say they'll do it better.

They got a website, they're taking donations and search volunteers - and they search a location ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 04 January 2011 10:44:05(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Dreams are free, I suppose!
Offline hxmiesa  
#17 Posted : 04 January 2011 12:33:38(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hilarious! They even have "Admission price", "How to get there" and "Opening hours".
I must say, as with MMRCSA, this lights all the red lamps up.
-And even if they should be in good faith and/or succeed in mount something, this is definatly not an acceptable (for me) way to do things!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline river6109  
#18 Posted : 04 January 2011 12:56:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Bigdaddynz wrote:
Dreams are free, I suppose!

Dave,
Sorry can't agree with you.

If you are an Accountant you don not have dreams and it costs you dearly if you ever dream of visiting one.

Every man's dream has cost many other people misery, stress and a lot of money.

My dream was, to create a park (42 acres) with a model railway layout, fairy tales cottages, restaurant with Devonshire teas, we had a natural waterfall, dam, spring fed dam.

It has cost me or us a lot of money and the end result is a garage filled with a layout.

My wholesale business at the time did very well until we had a national pilot strike and this put the whole country including international travellers at a standstill.
My products sold all over Australia , (mainly hotels and resorts - put another shrimp on the Barbie period) ) and delivery took place via airfreight.

And my big dream, one could say never got of the ground, except a huge hole in my pocket.

John
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 05 March 2011 16:23:20(UTC)
H0

And another company trying to build the largest layout in the world (as of 2014):
http://www.worldofrails.at/start_eng.php

They'll do it in London, Vienna, New York, and Tokyo.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline rschaffr  
#20 Posted : 05 March 2011 17:42:59(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
From the visualization it appears that there is much too much "world" (mostly water) and not enough "rails". It also appears that this would fit in one of the five or six venues at MiWuLa.
-Ron
Offline hxmiesa  
#21 Posted : 07 March 2011 09:58:11(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: rschaffr Go to Quoted Post
From the visualization it appears that there is much too much "world" (mostly water) and not enough "rails". It also appears that this would fit in one of the five or six venues at MiWuLa.

If you read their "Business Plan", you will see that they intend to allow the public to control the ships!
Lots of promises in that text...

There are photos of the guy (Gerhard Vavra), who also seems to be the owner of "Nanosolution", which is housed on the same street as the "World of Rails" project.
http://www.nanosolution.at/PROshop/start.php?action=ansicht_infoseite&auswahl=i
On some of the press-photos of Herr Vavra, you can see a model railroad layout. Somebody knows anything about this layout?
http://www.worldofrails.at/Bilder/slides/DSC04622.html

I still think there are too many big words, but at least the World of Rails project looks more... realistic, than the american project...

Edit; The ref. to Nanosolutions may be in error; it´s the result of a simple crossed reference using the guys name, the location and Google. He himself states that he worked in the IT area...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline mrmarklin  
#22 Posted : 10 March 2011 05:19:57(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
If they think it's done in Munich, one can only wonder at the stantards they hope to attain. I've never seen a US layout to equal MiWuLa or even heard of one. I don't think Hamburg (sic) has anything to worry about.

I've seen better private layouts in Germany than almost any layouts here.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#23 Posted : 06 November 2011 20:36:30(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
I think they need a banker - what is Flash up to? Maybe the Cave is available t rent?

I signed up Nev for a passenger level donor. I tried for station locker attendant level
but they are not accepting that as a position. Likewise John (River) was late in grabbing
ladies Locker Room level, he lost out to Big Daddy there.

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline xomox  
#24 Posted : 28 December 2011 18:30:37(UTC)
xomox

Originally Posted by: MMRCSA Go to Quoted Post
Although it’s strange that two of the original instigators of this enterprise have resigned…….I wonder why?

The two guys they resigned had a good reason, believe me I know it.

Bigger and better as the MiWuLa....lol....this is delusional but the dream get's bigger from months to months.
The pockets are still empty except for a few thousand dollars from "believers". It's easy to use pictures and
numbers from a successful business to try to get the money out of the pockets from others.

The funny thing is that they do not have any business plan or a idea how to control any of what they want to
move around. Not one of this guys saw a faller car before or have even tried to light up a car with more then
two lights. LOL

Even if they got the millions what they dreaming about it is still delusional to accomplish a "better MiWuLa"
in a time frame of a few years. This Guys have no clue what the MiWuLa has accomplished, sorry but Laugh

There is a big difference what they advertising and what you hear from locals, dealer and
manufacturer, even there volunteers start thinking if this is a little bit to far from reality.
I'm living close by the "hick" town. MMRCSA got it right, time is expensive and must be compensated Wink

There are still people out there who donate money to the project in good faith.
My advice is, ask around in the area before you donate money or goods, you may think twice.

Edited by user 28 December 2011 22:14:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xomox
Offline Winterblade73  
#25 Posted : 28 December 2011 20:09:04(UTC)
Winterblade73

United States   
I'd rather just drive 30 minutes south to San Diego and go to the >San Diego Model Railroad Museum.<

It's only American trains, but trains nonetheless. Smile
Phil from SoCal
Member of ETE SoCal since 2011
ETE SoCal Facebook Page
Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois (CFL) Era III-VI
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 17 November 2013 20:51:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Some chaps in America (one of them thinks that MiWuLa is in Munich) are gonna do it bigger and better.
All that in the famous town Greenville, SC.
They will open on November 29, 2013. It's now called "Miniature World of Trains Beta" and it's much smaller than the MiWuLa, but unlike other big-mouthed competitors they at least seam to reach the opening stage.

http://miniatureworldoft....com/ProjectOverview.htm

Anybody going there?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#27 Posted : 17 November 2013 20:57:34(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
And another company trying to build the largest layout in the world (as of 2014):
[...]
They'll do it in London, Vienna, New York, and Tokyo.
The web site of "World of Fails" died a few months ago. They failed to open at all.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline river6109  
#28 Posted : 18 November 2013 03:08:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
anybody from Greenville, check out the progress for us on the forum.

regards.,

John
Offline GlennM  
#29 Posted : 18 November 2013 16:12:56(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
I guess they have aimed high.

I was lucky enough to visit MiWuLa in Hamburg a couple of weeks ago and bought the book, that details the last eleven years behind the scenes, and it is been hard work. The original plan was for a modest layout, and year on year they have been adding to the layout, and currently a module reflecting the country of Italy is under construction, but the key point is that when conceived MiWuLa was not intended to be so big. They have been able to grow on the continuing success.

So these people plan to be bigger than MiWuLa without any experience, and plan to be so big from the outset, it is impressive, but when you consider the time it takes to build something so large, it raises some serious questions over viability, but I wish them well, the world has a shortage of great layouts.

I think the UK would benefit from a great layout maybe not as big as MiWuLa, but I think there is a very clear market out there for somewhere to take the kids at week-ends, and when you think that MiWuLa in Hamburg has over a million visitors a year paying around £10 standard on the door entrance, potentially for a right minded group of investors, it would offer a solid investment return.

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline kweekalot  
#30 Posted : 18 November 2013 19:32:43(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

I think the UK would benefit from a great layout maybe not as big as MiWuLa, but I think there is a very clear market out there for somewhere to take the kids at week-ends, and when you think that MiWuLa in Hamburg has over a million visitors a year paying around £10 standard on the door entrance, potentially for a right minded group of investors, it would offer a solid investment return.

BR

Glenn

But the UK has Ian's Marklin museum, almost as big as MiWuLa ! Cool
Marco
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline GlennM  
#31 Posted : 18 November 2013 19:42:09(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post

BR

Glenn

Marco

This is true, but Ian does not charge..............yet BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline river6109  
#32 Posted : 19 November 2013 01:20:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post

BR

Glenn

Marco

This is true, but Ian does not charge..............yet BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

I didn't know Ian had bigger plans in mind BigGrin but the council wouldn't allow him to have public viewing unless he can provide wheelchair access, male & female toilets, snack bar, public transport, gift vouchers, shop, public liability insurance,

Offline xomox  
#33 Posted : 06 May 2014 05:19:40(UTC)
xomox

follow up:
I'm from the Greenville area and I'm one of the guys that resigned from the project a half year later when it got out of control (when the dream of Mr. Ruby was getting bigger and better).

BTW.... the original Idea was just to build a small public layout in Greenville and grow if it generates enough income to sustain itself. So not a business like MiWuLa, not the size and not "better" but not necessarily bad.

Guys, please check out there website, lots of pictures from this amazing work that will draw now millions of Visitors around the globe (according to the business projection I saw) and that's in a space of around 4000sf including a "Museum" and a "Shop". If I would dream that aliens beam me up it would be more realistic in my opinion. Please understand me right, I would love to see more interest in model railroading in our area and I wished the guys would had done a better job but this is just ..... you know. Every serious model railroader will know what I mean.

Here is the link to the pictures, see for your self:
https://www.miniatureworldoftrains.com/images/GrandOpenAndBeyond/032914-AMR-FCR/Images-032914GrandOpen.htm

I few month ago I took a trip to Germany and used the ICE to Hamburg. Booked the "Nacht im MiWuLa" what is a special evening after the regular open hours where they only allow around 400 people to get in - it was worth every cent. This is nice, no waiting, no second or third row in front of the layout, just perfect. The next day I had a "tour behind the scenes" what was very interesting for a tech-guy like me. I already watched all the "Week" reports from Garrets Tagebuch but to see it in real is just unreal Drool .

So anybody that like to claim to do it "bigger and better" should go first over there and see for them self what the heck he is talking about.

in Addition:
--- forgot to mention that the admission for this great layout is $5 (kids starting at the age of 2 years pay the same, very family friendly) ---

This is the work of over 200 Volunteers around the US that started to work around a year ago on structures (as stated on there web page). Construction begin was a half year ago and we still see unpainted mountains, missing plaster, unfinished track work like switches in the middle of nowhere, no ballast, no lights, no details, no animation, no train control, no car system, no..., no...., no... - the list goes on you get the picture. The modular club layout we created was more appealing.
Offline H0  
#34 Posted : 06 May 2014 08:19:18(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: xomox Go to Quoted Post
So anybody that like to claim to do it "bigger and better" should go first over there and see for them self what the heck he is talking about.
Such a claim will help to get media attention, but is difficult to fulfil.

Like you I welcome every nice public layout, no matter how big it is.

Too often the layouts with the big claims will never open - or they open too early with unfinished landscapes and very little train operations, generating bad word of mouth propaganda and so they do not get the money they would need for further growth.

When I visited MiWuLa I found it was bigger than I had expected (after all the reports I had seen about it).
Several other layouts I visited earlier were much smaller than I expected.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#35 Posted : 06 May 2014 10:12:18(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Unless you have a vision yourself I imagine it would be very hard to direct volunteers to do the job well and stick to it and unless you've got a business plan with outgoings costs, capital etc etc. any such project can become overwhelming.

there is a similar project going on in Vienna (Tirolerland) and I haven't heard the latest but they are progressing and one can only hope their capital outlay, creditors are staying behind the project.

I don't know where Greenville is and how many people interested in model railways live around this area or how close it is to other major cities.
One thing I can say when we displayed our layout for the first time yes there was a section unfinished or more precise, a blank chipboard but lots of people praised us for doing such a good job with the rest of the layout.

I can't comment on, although there are pictures from the layout how this layout is going to be received by the public and one has to ask the question would I be paying an x amount for an entry fee and would it be interesting enough for me to open it for the public.
personally I don't think it is a good idea showing a layout which is most probably 25% finished or half finished and this could put people off a.) what they are seeing and you can't expect the public to see your vision you have in mind.

a good advertising affect would be by inviting people free of charge and take people through what the end product could look like and this way you may get more volunteers to help and a feedback from the public if they come back or what would they like to see for them coming back.

the finished product sells if it is made well, well organized and informative.

regards.,

John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline xomox  
#36 Posted : 06 May 2014 23:32:26(UTC)
xomox

@ Tom
I'm more at the perfectionist side (can be annoying for others Blushing ) but I ratter wait until I'm finish before I show stuff that is not.

@ John
Economically wise Greenville can't support something like MiWuLa because it is not a mayor city. For something this big I would go to Las Vegas. Greenville is a small, growing city (thanks to BMW that put it on the Map). The size of around 4000sf would be right for Greenville and might be supported but you have to execute it well, in Germany we would say "klein aber fein" means small but nice.

Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

a good advertising affect would be by inviting people free of charge and take people through what the end product could look like and this way you may get more volunteers to help and a feedback from the public if they come back or what would they like to see for them coming back.

the finished product sells if it is made well, well organized and informative.

Absolutely, I started to build a small display to show potential investors not only a movie of layouts that others did, I won't to show also that we have the skills and we are capable to execute what we had in mind. I finished my display but left before.

A funny thing was that he called Norfork Southern and asked for money over the phone without having any business plan or any information on hand, just saying "we like to build a huge public model train display and we have NS Trains on it so you have to give us $50.000" - a jar dropping "WHAT" was our reaction when he told us his attempt at our next meeting. He couldn't believe that the answer from NS was NO. Well I couldn't believe they didn't send an referral to a hospital. The list goes on...

Anyway, he is good in putting titles behind his name and making up names with copyright marks on it (without securing the rights properly). I know that he has some good and knowledgeable guys pulled in to the project but most of them already left, a few stayed. But it raises or falls with a good concept. The Beta Version as he calls this "thing" now was mend to be the "prototype" to show what they can do. Do I have to write more? Most Club Layouts are 1000 times better and we might start building one on our own.

(Youtube link to our modular club layout removed by me because It might be misplaced in this post)

We will see more in the next few month what happens when the lease and utilities has to be paid....I keep you up to date.

Edited by user 07 May 2014 07:04:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xomox
Offline river6109  
#37 Posted : 07 May 2014 02:33:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
good luck with your project.

John
Offline xomox  
#38 Posted : 07 May 2014 07:00:55(UTC)
xomox

There is no project, if we get a room for the club we might start a permanent club layout
Offline DV  
#39 Posted : 30 March 2023 08:27:20(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Well, the bell has tolled.

Have been receiving emails from the Miniature World of Trains™ since their 'great 'inception back in 2011 (actually 2009, but I signed up for the emails from'11)

With always stating how they were moving ahead, always finding new premises, new layouts, yadda, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Well here's the latest email, quite long but very informative with explanations how it began and its' meandering path to a hopeful conclusion.

If you want to know how it actual came to a crashing stop, just scroll down to the parts in yellow.

The End of the Miniature World of Trains™

Message From
Founder and President Frank Ruby
03/27/23

Overall Project Update

From Frank Ruby
Founder and President

The return of the Miniature World of Trains™ status!

First a little back story.

Since 2010 the Miniature World of Trains™ has been trying created a top notch world class group of highly sophisticated model train displays that are both fun but educational as well.

Examples would be Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg and the Porsche Museum in Germany, Grand Maket Rossiya in Russia, Little Canada in Canada and Entertrainment in Ohio to name a few. However, the new Miniature World of Trains™ wanted to create a new group of new displays unlike anything seem in North America. More details available via the links below.

Back in 2010, right after the non profit version of the concept was created, a 30,000sf former Winn Dixie was offered to the MWOT™ concept for free. The catch, it needed about a one million dollar over haul! We had to pass on that deal.

At this same time we created the first Christmas Display for the Children's Museum of the Upstate with full sponsorship for MTH-Railking, Lionel and Atlas O. We did this in the space of two weeks for Thanksgiving.

In the forth quarter of 2010 the concept negotiated a $1.5M sponsorship donation from the Siemens corporation via 7 separate $200k donations from each division of the company. The deal was almost complete in late 2010 when one of our board members did not follow up as current I pleaded that he do. When he finally did so, the Siemens contact went back to Germany for Christmas. When he returned in 2011, Siemens was reorganized into 5 divisions and our contact was in a new position. We could not resurrect that deal.

Soon after I negotiated a lease of just $20,000 p/m for an old Sam's Club on Laurens Rd. But they wanted to sell the building for a mere $3M dollars. I was working on the funding with BB&T bank and the State of South Carolina at the same time MWOT™ created a second Christmas Display for the City of Fountain Inn which drew some 10,000 in its limited two week run in early December 2010 and the redisplay located at the N Pleasantburg office location through Christmas 2011.

During this time a development company purchased the Sam's Club building for cash and promptly tore it down for future development.

Following the success for the Fountain Inn display MWOT™ was approached by a local grocery chain to take over one of their closed properties. After 4 months of negotiations we could not come to an agreement.

That same day the MWOT™ Beta test location came available and the deal for the 5,000sf to create the first MWOT™ HO test display and house the current Christmas Display was agreed to that same day!

A 2.5 year lease was signed for the MWOT™ Test which would allow us to seek a new location. That lease ended in the summer of 2015 when the board of directors decided to end the non profit. Though the parking issues in the area and new construction with a construction crane to be placed right outside of entrance, the BETA test still drew some 80,000 in total of the two years. This was done without parking or any advertising!

But, until the last month, we have not been able to find a viable location, though we got close with a 60,000sf former grocery store back in late 2019.

Then the Covid situation hit and in early 2022 the new for profit Lillput LLC was formed to find a viable location.

Well after a year of searching and losing out on several locations that a AAA fitness business was scooping up, we finally have found a location that this fitness company seems not to be seeking that will work for MWOT™!

Late last month CEO Kelly Orr submitted a Letter Of Intent to lease 27,000sf of space just off I-85 in Greenville, SC. I have hoped to have this great location open by the holidays in 2023! But the owner seems to be dragging their feet.

As of this update $700,000 has been committed to getting the venue for the project started by June 2023 if not sooner! But that does not seem to be likely to happen as of this update.

Already, I have the plans for the new larger O Scale Christmas Model Train Display™ and the new larger Miniature World of Trains™ HO Display have been created for this location but we have no commitment from the owner.

The plan was to start building the Christmas Model Train Display™ as soon possible along with the set back barriers for the first two displays. At the same time we wanted to begin the addition of 16' and 10' high partition walls, update the flooring and paint. At this point this will not happen and there are no other locations for the project in the Greenville, SC area.

The only other option is to build from scratch. However, the cost to acquire the land and build PHASE I is $7M. So, as of this update I do not think the project has investors to reach the $7M threshold.

Where does the blame sit for the funding issues the project when it was a non profit and there was plenty of locations to lease?

Originally, the first president of the non profit version for the concept was Roland Stadelman. He advised he could get the needed $1.5M from his clients in the Tryon, SC area. Just after the submission of the 501c3 paperwork to the IRS, he abruptly resigned for the Board of Directors and thus the potential funding went away. At this point I took over the reins of the non profit as president.

Once the 501c3 was approved in early September 2010 we began looking for locations and funding. This is when board member Ed Eichelberger and I worked on the Siemens deal. Because of his lack of follow up the $1.5M deal went away!

After this, Roland Stadelmann rejoined the team again in mid 2011 promising the funding from his contacts. Not one dollar was donated from these contacts. Simply stated he lied! He quit again!

So as of today with about half of the needed $1.5M committed I can not find a location to house the project. The build from scratch option is not going to happen at this point either with no one with deep pockets stepping up to fund the project.

So, after trying to get the viable project funded over the last 13 years I am giving up and will not be moving forward with any activity. I have wasted all this time. So I am done! Frankly, I have other things to do. I tried and have failed.

The LOI is still out there but I do not hold out any hope that this will be accepted by the owner of the property. If, by some miracle it is approved then I will step back in but and will not be actively working on the project as of this update. As of last week no decision has been made by the property owners.

So, it seems it is time to let go of the dream to get the Miniature World of Trains built after 13 years of trying.

Now I will move on and work on my personal display the Denver, Front Range and Rocky Mountain Railroad (DFR&RMRR). This display will incorporate some of the special effects and features I developed for the MWOT™ project. I will be sharing the current status of my railroad via a new YouTube channel I am currently working on.

Thanks to everyone that supported the project since 2009!

Frank Ruby
Founder and President
03/27/23

Never though it would work, as from the start it was always talk and not much action.

Maybe first get all the funding organised before advertising that it was coming.

Just my two cents worth.

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline H0  
#40 Posted : 30 March 2023 08:58:31(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
Maybe first get all the funding organised before advertising that it was coming.
Advertising is cheap, and press and TV coverage can help to find investors.

But announcing to be bigger and/or better MiWuLa will fire back when you finally have to give up. Happened to LOXX, to World of Rails, and now to MWOT. And many other projects that did not get that much media attention.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline marklinist5999  
#41 Posted : 30 March 2023 12:10:25(UTC)
marklinist5999

United States   
There is Nortlandz in New Jersey which isn't a club. There is a local Gratiot valley American ho club with a large layout but rarely hold open house. Same for the O scale club in Holly which is in the former theatre.
Locomoland in Niagara Falls Ontario on the tourist trap strip. Pre Covid the GV held bi annual show and swaps at the large community college hall.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by marklinist5999