Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2010 07:12:28(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I love this between the wars era. It was the time of Agatha Christie, Biggles, the last of the earth challenges of flying around the world in tiny aircraft, Art Deco, big old Bentleys, the wonderful black tie balls and the era of the spy stories.

I also love this loco so much that I already have two others.. A 3077 analogue version and a 3477 60 years of HO delta version. The first one can't run on our digital layout and the second runs poorly at low speeds like all the other deltas I have ever owned. Of course, I always planned to convert both locos, but the second motor for the propeller scared me.

UserPostedImage

This new version from Märklin has much to offer. It has a plastic shell, mFx, interior LED-based lighting and sound! There is also a glossy booklet providing great detail and pictures of the original zeppelin and the various Märklin versions. Is it authentic - I don't know but it does sound great.. It also has a genuine wooden four blade propeller, which appears to be very authentic when you look at the photos of the original.

UserPostedImage

There is one or two things that will annoy the purists.. The main one being that the motor is visible through the windows..

UserPostedImage

I had not planned to buy this loco - it was an impulse buy when I was looking through the Station500 site, but I have absolutely no regrets.

UserPostedImage

The only concern I have is that the wooden blade may be dangerous to small children..

Big thumbs up to Märklin for this one. ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2010 10:25:51(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Adrian,

Great looking Loco. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline fvri  
#3 Posted : 05 January 2011 23:12:17(UTC)
fvri

Hi all,

Finally I got mine today!
Indeed as Adrian stated a very nice loc, runs well and last but not least it has a great(special) 'operating' sound when the propeller runs. It is quite something different than the sound all my other locs produce.

The wooden blade is special, better that the plastic orange version of previous versions.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 05 January 2011 23:20:43(UTC)
Webmaster

Seems I'll have to unpack mine for a run on the oval tomorrow (arrived the 23rd, just in time for Christmas)...Smile

I just love these "oddities" from the between-the-wars era. Have the 3477 too...
Like the 3477 characteristics - turn the speed up, propeller moves faster & faster and then it takes off...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 05 January 2011 23:23:43(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very nice, I got it mine few days before ChristmasThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline SINCrazee  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2011 09:07:55(UTC)
SINCrazee

Nice.. Rail zeppelin Haha... Now , you need an aerial Zeppelin..BigGrin Laugh

UserPostedImage
C-track carpetbahn, R1 ,R2,R3 with MS2 and a CS2 plus Marklin and HAG trains..
Offline kariosls37  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2011 09:31:21(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Another nice model of an interesting prototype. I think the wooden propeller is an improvement on the old orange one. However, I think it still does not do justice to the laminated and varnished propellers. It would be a nice little painting project.

Marklin would do well in fitting a small can motor in the nose instead of the old DCM motor
Offline nevw  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2011 11:00:25(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: SINCrazee Go to Quoted Post
Nice.. Rail zeppelin Haha... Now , you need an aerial Zeppelin..BigGrin Laugh

UserPostedImage

Sorry would not run on rails. BigGrin

See you RC Aircraft Model Maker,, LOL

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline fvri  
#9 Posted : 08 January 2011 11:05:20(UTC)
fvri

Hoi,

Don't want to go too political on this but are the signs correct on the wings of this zepplin, I thought they were the well known nazi symbols.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline nevw  
#10 Posted : 08 January 2011 11:16:01(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Of course they were but as far a M is concerned "you cannot mention the War"
(Fawlty Towers) or show anything from the 1930-45 era. It is humiliating and never happened.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 08 January 2011 11:33:41(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
Of course they were but as far a M is concerned "you cannot mention the War"
(Fawlty Towers) or show anything from the 1930-45 era. It is humiliating and never happened.

We've discussed this before: there are strict legal regulations about the use of the Hakenkreuz: it can be shown in history movies or in museums, but it cannot be used on toys.

It's M's decision not to make make locomotives in wartime camouflage livery.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline fvri  
#12 Posted : 08 January 2011 11:47:38(UTC)
fvri

Ok, I respect this, but "history is history" (things should be represented correctly...it is not a question of admiring the things related to them) and this zepplin model is a toy?
The German model airplans Revell make from the 1940-45 area do have the forbidden signs. I understand the moral issues to be considered regarding toys but are these still toys?
Nevertheless I was a little bit suprised this nice zepplin model had strange marks on the wings.
Nothing more to say about this. Sorry if I have offended somebody on this forum regarding my remarks in this topic.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 08 January 2011 12:23:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: fvri Go to Quoted Post
The German model airplans Revell make from the 1940-45 area do have the forbidden signs.

They did have when I bought my first aircraft models in the '70s, but swastikas disappeared a little later.

It's the forbidden sign of a forbidden political party. Forbidden by law.

I am not offended. I didn't make the law.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline nevw  
#14 Posted : 09 January 2011 00:07:57(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Thanks for the explanation Tom,
I did not know it was a Legal edict/law.
NN
Offline Webmaster  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2011 21:12:37(UTC)
Webmaster

Tested the 37777 today...

Noisy bugger... Woot LOL LOL

And it does say "15+" on the package, so we older ones can play with it... BigGrin

Adrian, how do the functions work on yours? When I have the sound on, the propeller goes spinning all the time, but with sound off the propeller can be controlled with F3...

Does look a bit funny when the propeller spins while the airplane engine is starting...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2011 21:23:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Does look a bit funny when the propeller spins while the airplane engine is starting...

I thought that, too.
With a Central Station (any CS) or ECoS you can add a new function key that turns on only the sound.
When the engine is running (soundwise) I start the propeller.

I presume the prototype had a fixed transmission between motor and propeller.
I pretend mine has a gear, so engine starts first, propeller follows later.

I also reduced the value of the function output assigned to the propeller - propeller is now slower while train is standing and makes less noise.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline dntower85  
#17 Posted : 12 January 2011 21:54:03(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

I pretend mine has a gear, so engine starts first, propeller follows later.

ThumpUp

You can pretend that it is a later prototype where the engineers added a transmission so it could have a neutral gear and a reverse. With the prop disengaged the motor could run generators for lights and provide heat for the passengers. BigGrin

by the way does the prop turn in reverse when it runs in reverseConfusedBigGrin

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 12 January 2011 22:23:19(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dntower85 Go to Quoted Post
by the way does the prop turn in reverse when it runs in reverseConfusedBigGrin

No, the propeller stops and you hear the sound of an auxiliary engine.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#19 Posted : 13 January 2011 02:05:59(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I thought that, too.
With a Central Station (any CS) or ECoS you can add a new function key that turns on only the sound.
When the engine is running (soundwise) I start the propeller...

Yeah well it is not a perfect replica of the prototype, but I still think that Markin did a great job with the loco.. It would be hard for Marlkin to accurately sync the propeller speed with the sound..

I like the noise level - we are all old enough to remember the sound of the propellor driven airliners at airports to know that they were very noisy beasts.. This thing has an airplane engine - more importantly a 1930s engine with no exhaust mufflers.. I love it.. Awesome stuff..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 13 January 2011 02:40:40(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Adrian,

Looking at the photo and you've mentioned the sight of the motor through the windows couldn't they've put the motor to the other end or have a motor with a drive shaft on both bogy's.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline xxup  
#21 Posted : 13 January 2011 02:53:58(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Adrian,

Looking at the photo and you've mentioned the sight of the motor through the windows couldn't they've put the motor to the other end or have a motor with a drive shaft on both bogy's.

John

They could have used a can motor too, but hey, I am happy with it and it is way better than the 3077 or 3477.. I also prefer the older motors as they seem to me more reliable than the can motors..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline fvri  
#22 Posted : 13 January 2011 09:53:30(UTC)
fvri

I also like the sound, the only thing that could be done better is hidding more the electronics visible in the front part of the loc.

Best Regards,
Frank
Offline Webmaster  
#23 Posted : 13 January 2011 11:55:00(UTC)
Webmaster

I thought that, too.
When the engine is running (soundwise) I start the propeller.
I also reduced the value of the function output assigned to the propeller - propeller is now slower while train is standing and makes less noise.

Sounds like a couple of very good adjustments... ThumpUp

Would it be possible to describe how you've done it so a CS1 novice understands?
Offline H0  
#24 Posted : 13 January 2011 17:30:58(UTC)
H0

Hi, Juhan & all!

This is the dialogue:
UserPostedImage
For the propreller I think you must click the "+" next to AUX3 (but I'm not sure, could be AUX2 or AUX1).
Type is set to "Smoke", not "Zoom" as on the picture.

Smoke means "more power while loco runs". The default value is around 50 - you can try values around 40.

You can scroll down to the correct Fx key and then you'll see where the checkmarks are set.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Webmaster  
#25 Posted : 13 January 2011 18:42:25(UTC)
Webmaster

Thank you Tom!!! ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp Love

I managed to do it with the help of the screen shot...

So now I separated the sound & prop (by unticking a checkmark in the AUX2 function) and slowed down the propeller (smoke value 56 by default) to 24 so the turning of the propeller is visible. Lower than 24 gives a bit of chunky propeller movement at standstill...

Model is twice as fun now.... Start the engine with the sound function F2, then engage the prop with F3 so it idles at low speed... Then throttle up, motor revvs up as well as the propeller and off we go...

As a special bonus that high-pitched propeller motor sound also is lost...

The model becomes at least twice as fun this way... ThumpUp

Will paint the visible cables black when I open it up some time in the future...

Edited by user 13 January 2011 22:20:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline fvri  
#26 Posted : 13 January 2011 21:58:34(UTC)
fvri

Indeed great info, thx Tom!

Altough it seems I'm a few firmware upgrades behind with my ECoS as I don't have this tabpage for advanced function settings.Confused

Best regards,
Frank
Offline Webmaster  
#27 Posted : 13 January 2011 22:23:45(UTC)
Webmaster

I managed to do it with my CS1 (still M 2.0.4 software), are you really sure your Ecos won't do it?
Offline H0  
#28 Posted : 13 January 2011 22:28:26(UTC)
H0

Hi, Frank!
Altough it seems I'm a few firmware upgrades behind with my ECoS as I don't have this tabpage for advanced function settings.Confused

CS1 already had this screen with version 2.0.3 (the "+" signs were missing, but the functions were already there).
ECoS did have it with version 3.0.1 (maybe even before that).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline fvri  
#29 Posted : 13 January 2011 22:30:12(UTC)
fvri

Hi Juhan,

I'm just probably a few firmware versions of my ECoS behind (long time I upgraded my firmware, somewhere last year in March 2010), so if I update it to the latest version I should probably see this dialog to do the settings.
I will let you know after I have upgraded my system.

Regards,
Frank
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 13 January 2011 22:52:14(UTC)
H0

That feature was around in March 2009 already. Maybe you looked at the wrong places?
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline fvri  
#31 Posted : 14 January 2011 09:10:26(UTC)
fvri

Yeah, maybe I overlooked this, I remember the Edit Loc and Properties page but can't recall the Advanced tabpage (is it only supported for a decoder type: mfx, etc.?), anyhow thanks for sharing this info regarding the zeppelin zug.

I still remember I had problems with LocCommander to do CV settings, the protocol commands were not yet supported. But that is something different.

Regards,
Frank
Offline Hemmerich  
#32 Posted : 14 January 2011 21:00:08(UTC)
Hemmerich

Which is all correct for this train.

PS: For those interested in the mfx sound conversion of the old model - I've done this very successfully (even better than Märklin's implementation with the new model).
Offline mmervine  
#33 Posted : 14 January 2011 21:14:02(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Originally Posted by: Hemmerich Go to Quoted Post

PS: For those interested in the mfx sound conversion of the old model - I've done this very successfully (even better than Märklin's implementation with the new model).

Lutz-I would be very intersted in your upgrade of your older Zepplin!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline nevw  
#34 Posted : 14 January 2011 23:20:59(UTC)
nevw

Australia   

Lutz I am getting an Older Model I am also interested in the MFX & Sound Conversion.
Could you share the information with us to assist in a good conversion.

Nev
Offline laalves  
#35 Posted : 21 January 2011 01:58:38(UTC)
laalves

This model is beautiful but all realism concerns are superfluous, since the M model is extremely unrealistic. The true 1930 Zeppelin train was a two axle only machine (no trucks) and longer than the model: at H0 scale it should be 29,7 cm long instead of 28,5 cm. On the other hand, the Z scale model is true to scale and is 2 axle only. In H0, I doubt it would run anything less than R3 with a 2-axle wheelbase of 22,5 cm...

A later 1932 version was a B-1 arrangement, no propeller but with the same BMW VI engine powering the truck in the front via a hydraulic transmission. Later on, the BMW was replaced by a Maybach GO5 engine and later even, dismantled. A shame it didn't survive for this was a beautiful piece of engineering and design.
Offline Armando  
#36 Posted : 21 January 2011 03:19:40(UTC)
Armando

United States   
and this zepplin model is a toy?
Best regards,
Frank

Yes, sadly, this Märklin Zeppelin is just a "coarse toy". If it were a serious model of the Zeppelin, it would've been made to have two-axles only, just like the prototype was.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline xxup  
#37 Posted : 21 January 2011 07:22:18(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
and this zepplin model is a toy?
Best regards,
Frank

Yes, sadly, this Märklin Zeppelin is just a "coarse toy". If it were a serious model of the Zeppelin, it would've been made to have two-axles only, just like the prototype was.

One day you may get your wish for the perfect replica of the Zeppelin.. Each version of this model incorporates improvements over the prior release.. In the meantime, this one is pretty good and it runs great on the layout.. Cool
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline NZMarklinist  
#38 Posted : 15 March 2011 13:05:00(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hello All,
This is my first post so please excuse any faux pas (foxes paws ?), firstly going some what off topic Blushing I've been a vicarious reader of the forum for years so thought it about time to add my 2 cents worth as this subject is close to my heart after emptying my wallett BigGrin
The Zeplin Railcar, is or must be a favourite of mine as My 3077 has an almost world record spent on it with more upgrades intended. I've owned it for two years and after a wait and search for a sound project along comes the one from ESU. The ESU M4 sound project we found, stalls when at idle including briefly turning off the lights and stopping the prop motor. A clever friend, and fellow Marklinist here in AKL NZ, first wrote to ESU via their forum complaining of the fault in their sound project, which they acknowledged, and promised to get back to him with a fix but we're still waiting 12 months later ThumbDown so he pulled the project apart with his Locksound programmer and put it back together to get rid of the hiccup. He added relays and altered the function mapping hugely to get some realism in the prop motor speeds. It is a noisey motor and I intend to replace it with the latter one from Marklin parts, along with the prop which I'll gloss varnish !?, and maybe fit the interior as well.BigGrin My 3077 has the ESU 20x40mm speaker and makes a heap of noise just like the prototype to scale. It also has a flashing red led on the rear under the prop. In the future upgrade we may change to a 21 pin decoder for more functions. The prop and motor sound stop when you select reverse and you get the hum of the prototypes electric shunting motor and very slow running no matter how much throttle you give it as per prototype ! Max speed is regulated to 60% and it still falls off R1 curves at full throttle but is a goer on our Auckland Marklin Club modules R4 & R5 min radius. I believe there is a video of it on face book under Auckland Marklin Club but I'm not a facebooker.Bored
The point is, I wouldn't have bothered had I known the 37777 was to be released but we strive and spend money and heaps of the train Doctors time for perfection and a better toy than Marklin produced Love
Just love the smileysLOL

Glen
Akl NZ
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline steventrain  
#39 Posted : 15 March 2011 18:08:04(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Glen,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline SINCrazee  
#40 Posted : 15 March 2011 19:08:14(UTC)
SINCrazee

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Hi Glen,

Welcome to the forum.

Off topic!Flapper
C-track carpetbahn, R1 ,R2,R3 with MS2 and a CS2 plus Marklin and HAG trains..
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SINCrazee
Offline jbblunck  
#41 Posted : 15 December 2018 17:33:01(UTC)
jbblunck

United States   
Love the Zep. If anyone has a 37777 that they want to sell, please contact me. Thanks.
Online franciscohg  
#42 Posted : 15 December 2018 17:38:55(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi, it is a not easy to find model, took me a couple of years to find one.
Right now is one listed in ebay.de, the seller only ships to Germany but you could ask him to make an exception.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/...:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg