Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline wkchoong  
#1 Posted : 22 December 2010 09:32:15(UTC)
wkchoong

Hi! As I am kind of new in this hobby, are there any good reference books or materials I should get my hands on in order to enhance myself, especially with Marklin trains and systems? I am not an electrician and wiring is something that I think I need to get myself familiar with.Confused

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 22 December 2010 11:04:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
There are two hardbound books in English, published by Marklin, which deal with this subject. I have found them useful.

1. Electrical Manual Part # 07421

2. The HO signal Book Part # 03402.

I assume these are available somewhere, possibly at a dealer, or direct from marklin Shop.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 22 December 2010 11:07:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The 0340 signal manual is available as a download here:- http://www.marklin.com/tech/
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 22 December 2010 12:30:16(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
07421 is somewhat out of date and does not cover CS2 or MS2 but mainly control sysytems which are no longer available. I have the book but have not found it to be of great use.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Webmaster  
#5 Posted : 22 December 2010 21:00:58(UTC)
Webmaster

I think the 07421 book explains the principles and how-to's rather well, it is a good read-up to get into the world of M Digital control and wiring. When you have understood this book, you are ready to go and will understand the CS2/MS2 too.

Just my thoughts... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Jay
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 23 December 2010 02:38:31(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
David Dewar wrote:
07421 is somewhat out of date and does not cover CS2 or MS2 but mainly control sysytems which are no longer available. I have the book but have not found it to be of great use.

dave

Yes, Dave that is true of a lot of the Marklin user instructions, manuals etc, and I guess it continues because of their need for stuff to be backward compatible.

But I do agree with Webmaster, the 07421 book still has the fundamentals (B = red, O = brown sort of stuff, and various wiring diagrams) which I found quite necessary when putting my Marklin stuff together.
If used in conjunction with purchase of a new digital controller, or modern starter set, which have up-to-date manuals, it is still quite good.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2010 13:07:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Most of the 07421 you will get in the instruction book that comes with the Marklin item like wiring a decoder etc. With the book mainly on the 6021 and MS1 etc I have found nothing in it that was not availabvle free elsewhere.
If they produced a new book with the MS2 and CS2 and more on the s88 and new signals then that would be good.
If buying a start set I found that the booklet that came with that was good and has information on the stuff that I had bought.
A decent manual on the MS2 and CS2 would be worth producing for all new folk (and some older)now coming into the hobby.
The best place for help is here on the forum.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2010 21:35:34(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Dave,
In my latest starter set , the CS1 came with a good start manual (full colour),

It also came with 6 manuals on the CS1 (all photocopied stapled sets, in every language except English)!!!

I think I got the CS1 manual from Marklin's web site, but I don't think it is particularly good, as it doesn't cover the later versions.

regards
Kimball