Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 04 December 2010 11:10:45(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Ok

We know that there is not much of a British taste in the 3-rail market,would it become more appeasing if Hornby made British models for the 3 rail market?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 04 December 2010 11:31:39(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Alex, if Hornby were going to make 3 rail products, they would have done so before now. This is really a pointless question.
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2010 13:50:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I_love_Marklin_37538 wrote:
Ok

We know that there is not much of a British taste in the 3-rail market,would it become more appeasing if Hornby made British models for the 3 rail market?

OO gauge Hornby/Bachmann, etc will never plan 3-rails on market anymore.

Some H0 scale as fleischmann/Roco etc locos do have 3-rails.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2010 14:07:25(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi Steven,

Do Hornby (or anyone else) make coaches that would work for "warship" diesels?

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2010 16:47:07(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Jeremy Palmer wrote:
Hi Steven,

Do Hornby (or anyone else) make coaches that would work for "warship" diesels?

Jeremy.

The warship can use with green or Brown 00 gauge Bachmann MK1 coaches.

http://www.ehattons.com/...archfield=bachmann%20mk1
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 04 December 2010 19:57:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
When I was very young a lot of people had Hornby 3 rail layouts. At that time the company was called Hornby Dublo, and made 3 rail trains, though I believe they were DC instead of AC. Around 1960 they changed to 2 rail, and eventually merged with Triang railways to form Triang-Hornby, which later became the Hornby Railways which we know today.

I remember one of my neighbours discarded a Hornby Dublo 3 rail layout his dad had built for him, and I rescued all the track from it, which I then used with my marklin trains.

I have found a very good website dedicated to Hornby Dublo 3 rail, including a fine layout:

http://www.dublorunner.com/
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Jeremy Palmer  
#7 Posted : 04 December 2010 22:19:05(UTC)
Jeremy Palmer

Barbados   
Hi Ray,

Thanks for link, here is another one in case anyone looking for UK 1:87 "stuff":

http://www.british-ho.freeserve.co.uk/

Jeremy.
Jeremy.

1). If at first you don't succeed, bungee jumping mightn't be for you.
2). The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second rat that gets the cheese.
Offline RDRBerry  
#8 Posted : 04 December 2010 22:21:51(UTC)
RDRBerry

As far as coaches go Fleischmann made some Bulleid or MK1 green coaches to go with the warship.
If you can find one, Rivarossi made a lovely Royal Scot with 3 LMS coaches and occasionally a 3 rail one surfaces..

Lima did some UK HO but in those days it was utter rubbish

I think the best we UK types could hiope for would be a WD 2 8 0 as they were all over europe and still one runs in Belgium.

OSE have 2 WD 2 10 0's in Greece as well..

No chance I imagine.
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
Offline AshleyH  
#9 Posted : 04 December 2010 23:52:19(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
As Ralph has already said, Fleischmann made 2 Bullied coaches in Southern Region Green livery to go with their HO Warship which was released in the late 1970s. The Warship was produced in 2 liveries, plain green and blue with full yellow ends. To put it mildly, these items were about as popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip! Fleischmann were persuaded into the venture by their then UK distributor, I think RIKO if memory serves me right.

When Fleischmann was taken over by Roco (Modelleisenbahn GmbH) the decision was taken to, quite literally, dump all the remaing stock of Warships and Bullied coaches that had sat in Fleischmann's warehouse for over 30 years. They were 'rescued', bought over to the UK, and sold off very cheaply, the Warships for around GBP 40 and the Coaches for GBP 12. This is when I purchased mine. These items still turn up on ebay.co.uk fairly regularly for around these prices. To my knowledge they were never made in 3-Rail, though Marklin itself produced a 3 Rail Warship which enjoyed a similar level of 'success'.

With regards to Hornby making 3 Rail models, in a way they already do. There are 3 Rail models sold under the Electrotren, Rivarossi, Jouef and Lima brands, all owned by Hornby, though of course these are all HO models of continental prototypes. Our best hope is a model of the replacement for the Eurostar trains, and of course DB are planning on running trains through the tunnel, and have down a few test runs already.

Best Regards
Ashley
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 05 December 2010 00:50:38(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
David. You are right in saying Hornby will not make three rail stuff. At present they are trying to keep up with demand for two rail.

Ray. My first train set was Hornby Dublo and I can still see and smell that little tank loco going round the layout.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.