Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JH  
#1 Posted : 30 November 2010 17:44:02(UTC)
JH

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help! I have the BR 50 Steam Locomotive (Marklin # 37843)and have fitted the 7226 smoke generator but am not getting any smoke. I am trying to figure out whether the contact is faulty or the generator itself. According to Marklin, this loco should use the 7226, but the diagram in the owners manual shows the contact post at the bottom of the generator has to be bent. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John
Offline dntower85  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2010 18:00:50(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
JH wrote:
Hello,

I am hoping someone can help! I have the BR 50 Steam Locomotive (Marklin # 37843)and have fitted the 7226 smoke generator but am not getting any smoke. I am trying to figure out whether the contact is faulty or the generator itself. According to Marklin, this loco should use the 7226, but the diagram in the owners manual shows the contact post at the bottom of the generator has to be bent. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

There is a small wire the comes out of the bottom of the smoke generator that has to make contact with the copper tab inside the Lok, the instructions should show how it should be aligned when inserted. It can be installed in a way that it will not make good contact with the tab.
Also if you put too much smoke fluid in it it can keep it form getting hot enough to make smoke.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 30 November 2010 18:06:06(UTC)
H0

JH wrote:
but the diagram in the owners manual shows the contact post at the bottom of the generator has to be bent.

You don't have to bend it, just insert it with the wire pointing in the right direction (towards the high side of the contact lid).

Too much smoke fluid will prevent the smoke generator from working.
An air bubble below the smoke fluid can also prevent the smoke.

Take care when closing the locomotive: if you press the shell down at the wrong location you could bend the contact lid out of position so it won't make contact.

Which controller do you use?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline JH  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2010 18:16:27(UTC)
JH

thank you for the feedback. I am using the mobile station 1.
Offline JH  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2010 18:44:30(UTC)
JH

Is it possible that the generator is defective? I have checked the contact points and the wire is definitely making contact.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2010 19:01:04(UTC)
H0

JH wrote:
Is it possible that the generator is defective?

Yes, but the decoder could also be defective.

Therefore it can't hurt to try with a different loco and/or a different smoke generator (if available).

The MS1 shows a smoke symbol for the smoke generator and I presume you pressed the correct key to activate it.

The smoke generator was made for 16 V AC. You can also test it directly connected to a 16 V transformer (a short test with the 18 V power supply that came with some Mobile Stations shouldn't do a harm either).

Empty the smoke generator and fill a little bit of smoke fluid in (0.2 ml max., 0.1 ml should do for a test).
Seuthe generators include a syringe for that purpose.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline JH  
#7 Posted : 30 November 2010 20:13:21(UTC)
JH

Thanks Tom,

I'll try another generator and also test the existing one by directly wiring it to a power source. Should the yellow wire from the transformer go to the wire on the bottom of the generator and the brown to the side of the generator?
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 30 November 2010 22:15:02(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi JH,

Welcome to the forum.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 01 December 2010 00:53:28(UTC)
H0

JH wrote:
Should the yellow wire from the transformer go to the wire on the bottom of the generator and the brown to the side of the generator?

It's AC and "colours" don't matter here.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage