Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dntower85  
#1 Posted : 30 November 2010 17:32:10(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
This last weekend I had another turnout motor go bad.Cursing It had been acting up for a while now but usuly would start working after I manually flipped the turn out. But now I couldn't get the switch to through.
So I had to dig up another section of track out of the ballast. I'm out of any replacements so I decided to try to fix it my self.

I considired trying the fix that David did https://www.marklin-user...aspx?g=posts&t=14691
But in this case it would not of made any difference because the metal part of the solenoid was stuck inside the coils.
After I freed it, I connected it to an old push button switch and tried to get it working, but it still was sticking and the coils got very hot.

I took out the metal actuator it was a little rough on one side where it had been stamped. I filed down the edges till smooth.
It now was better but it still stuck about half the time.
I noticed that on top of the actuator that there was a polished streak across the top were it had rubbed in side the coil.
I didn't want to run any type of file or sand paper through the coil as it might make the plastic rougher or make the slot to wide causing the actuator to cock sideways making it worse.
So I took a wooden tooth pick and with a hammer flatten it out just a little bit till I could push it through the coil.
I never saw anything fall out of the coil but something must of cleared out. I figure there must of been some scraped plastic that was dragging across the actuator and the tooth pick tore it away.
I also think that the more it stuck the more the coils would get hot causing the plastic to expand and making it drag even worse.

After I put it all back together the solenoid snaps from one position to the other like new. The coil no longer heats up do to the quick movement.

DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2010 01:37:22(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Good trouble shooting and repair

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline hxmiesa  
#3 Posted : 01 December 2010 13:23:35(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Woohoo! ;-) My kind of repairs! That´s what I like about our hobby, and why I dislike the new locomotives with so much electronics and closed/sealed motors; no way (for me) to repeair them.
Good job, man!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 01 December 2010 13:41:25(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
There is no more quality control and mind you the parts aren't what they used to be.
I've had a few problems with solenoids one of them the PCB was faulty, lucky I've used a flat screwdriver and found if I press it down at one particular spot it was working.

How many modellers are willing to open up the solenoid module and who knows whether or not it is an ongoing fault ?

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dntower85  
#5 Posted : 01 December 2010 16:15:16(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
river6109 wrote:
There is no more quality control and mind you the parts aren't what they used to be.
I've had a few problems with solenoids one of them the PCB was faulty, lucky I've used a flat screwdriver and found if I press it down at one particular spot it was working.

How many modellers are willing to open up the solenoid module and who knows whether or not it is an ongoing fault ?

John

I will say this. This turnout motor is one that gets used a lot, and has been on the layout for a many years now.

I have all of my turn outs connected to k83's and run off a separate circuit via a delta booster. I initially had the booster connected to the accessory side of the transformer but switched it to the track power after I was having some problems with some of the solenoids. Track side power allowed me to set the voltage to 16v. I'm thinking that the 18V+ of the accessory side was a little too much for the little solenoids. That might of put too much heat into the plastic causing it to expand and drag on the actuator as it was activated.

The compact design of the solenoid and decoder is ingenious but I wish marklin made an adapter to have a larger solenoid mounted under the layout.
I haven't tried the Viessmann 4554 it might be more reliable but it is still mounted directly to the underside of a C-track turnout.

I also would like to know if there is a good lubricant that can be used in the solenoid I think most oils would gum it up, so a dry Teflon lubricant might be better.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Jay  
#6 Posted : 01 December 2010 20:23:55(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Maybe a bit messy but you could perhaps use graphite.
Wonderful dry lubricant.
REGARDS
jAY
Offline klarinettmeister  
#7 Posted : 01 December 2010 20:26:45(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
Seems to be a good solution, but it shouldn´t be needed from the beginning. What about QC Märklin? But I´ll propably continue my solution. Strangely I haven´t been having any problems with the original motor in my 24624.
Offline old toot  
#8 Posted : 02 December 2010 11:07:18(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
those solenoids are made with a coated wire
and when you get heat into them they can very
quickly short out and then its no go
I know Dion has done some rewinds of solenoids
to fix some guys points down here and I have done
a few in the past also so as long as your rewind
is neat and and each turn next to the other it
works out okay Dion did one about three weeks
ago just one side was down and the guy is happy
as it was a mint looking old M track point.
regards
old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit