Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Maxi  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2010 17:44:03(UTC)
Maxi

Seems that trying to update from the internet is not as easy to do for some of our fellow members, so I thought I would put together a little step by step guide to make the process a little easier.

Connect network cable to CS2 first, then power on. If you have more than one CS2, then each CS2 needs to be connected to the internet in order to update the firmware via the internet. Only the TFP (Track Format Processor) will update on additional devices (MS2, Boosters, additional CS2 connected via the CAN Bus) when the master CS2 is updated. Complete firmware for additional CS2’s needs to be updated from the internet or USB key method.

The network is not functional for at least 20 seconds after the main screen is displayed. Allow for an extra minute or two once the main screen is displayed for the remaining modules to load before changing to any other screen (This part is very important).

UserPostedImage

Tap the setup button on the screen after waiting for all the modules to load.

Tap the wrench icon on the lower left of the screen in order to see further screen options and make any required changes if needed.

UserPostedImage

Tap the right arrow beside the question mark icon to see the next screen. We want to select the word IP, this will allow us to see if the CS2 has a IP Address. Without an IP Address the CS2 will not be able to get any updates from the internet.

UserPostedImage

The information displayed may be different on your screen. If Address Assignment is set to automatically and there is a address in the IP-Address box, then you are now ready to try updating the firmware of the CS2 from the internet.
Move on to step 11 to update the firmware from the internet.

For the novice user, the Address Assignment option should be set to automatically. To set this option select the circle beside the word automatically and then select the green checkmark to save the changes.

UserPostedImage

Hold the stop button for about 8 seconds, this will put the CS2 in shutdown mode, the other way is to select the shutdown option from the main setup menu.

Once the CS2 is shutdown, unplug the power for the CS2 and wait about 30 seconds for the unit to discharge and then plug the power back in (unplug the power for the transformer from the wall, do not try to unplug the power from the back of the CS2.)

Repeat steps 2 to 6, this time we should see a IP-Address.

Tap the setup button on the screen after waiting for all the modules to load.

Tap the right arrow beside the question mark icon to switch screens. We want to select the word CS or CS2 (depends on which version of firmware is currently loaded into the CS2), this will allow us to start the update process.

UserPostedImage

In order to update from the internet, the option internal needs to be selected.
If you have a USB key connected, then disconnect before trying to update from the internet.
Tap the Update Program button, when prompted to really perform the update tap the checkmark icon and wait for the update process to complete.
If the process was not successful then try a few more times, internet performance and the actual website where the update resides could have problems which would possibly make the initial attempt fail.

If all works out then you should now have the latest update for your CS2 downloaded and installed from the internet.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Maxi
Offline GSRR  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2010 17:48:28(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Thanks Maxi, great effort, very helpful.

r/Thomas

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2010 18:52:37(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Very good, Maxi.

Hi Websmaster/Bigdaddynz - Can you 'sticky' this topic - Thanks.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline charles Sharpe  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2010 19:08:28(UTC)
charles Sharpe

I have tried six times to up date my CS2 by the USB way and no luck at all. So at lunch time I took theCS 2 and a trans down to the house. I plugged the cable from the computer in the back ofCS2 and the trans it booted up and I just pressed the up date icon and it up load first time.I AM STILL IN SHOCK. I have conneceted it to the layout and all is well it has updated theMS2.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
Offline Harvey  
#5 Posted : 13 November 2010 00:37:16(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Maxi,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. It worked just fine, first time. Hopefully Marklin will place this in the CS2 Manual.

Harvey
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 13 November 2010 00:46:25(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Harvey wrote:
Maxi,

Thanks for the detailed instructions. It worked just fine, first time. Hopefully Marklin will place this in the CS2 Manual.

Harvey

Would be good if the produced a decent manual in place of the present instructions (or at least the instructions that I got with my CS2)
Would even be nice of the site told me what was on the update.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Maxi  
#7 Posted : 13 November 2010 13:11:03(UTC)
Maxi

Glad to be of help.
I agree that the documentation for most things Marklin puts out is rather brief.

Making this topic a sticky might be a good idea for quick reference.

Matthew
Offline rcb2nwa  
#8 Posted : 20 February 2013 00:20:34(UTC)
rcb2nwa

United States   
BigGrin Marvelous. I'm new to the Marklin Digital world, and just spent a week trying to get my new 60215 to update from ver 2.0.1. These notes were perfect. One addition, in my case the "Automatic" function to establish the "IP" address did not work. I switched to manual, typed in my information and.... magic, my CS2 ran through all the necessary updates. Very simple. Thank you. Now if Marklin would just post this oh so easy proceedure to it's manual.
Offline GSRR  
#9 Posted : 20 February 2013 01:24:24(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Just adding some additional info concerning USB and downgrades.

Download this file from the website.

http://www.maerklin.de/d...ds/software_updates.html

cs2update.tgz

(Note - use a slim width USB stick, a wide USB stick may not seat properly or completely into the CS2 USB port. Avoid a USB stick with U3 software or password / security features. The downloaded update file must be in the root folder of the USB stick. There cannot be any other CS2 updates in the root folder)(This is simply technique but consider removing the track power from the CS2 during the upgrade, also perhaps any booster to avoid problems?)

1. Insert a USB memory stick in the USB socket on the computer.
2. Connect to one of the download web sites.
3. Right click on each of the two files listed above and store them on the USB stick. This process will unzip each of the files.
4.Correctly eject the USB stick from the computer.
5 Connect the Central Station to a transformer and start the Central Station.
6. Insert the USB stick into the USB socket in the back of the Central Station.
7. Choose the “Setup” menu.
8. Press the word “Update program” (if “Update program” does not appear on the screen, select the “CS” menu on the bottom of the blue screen. After pressing the word " Update program", in the screen must be read first the word "loading", next comes "updating").
9. If the program asks for a confirmation press the green check mark.
10. Wait until the program has finished up loading. It may take a few minutes.
11. Select the “Setup” menu.
12. Select the “Version” option.
13. You should see the new version number on the screen.

14. If you do not see the new version number:
15. Select the “CS” menu.
16. Select “restart”.
17 Wait until the Central Station has restarted.
18. Remove and re-insert the USB stick.
19. Repeat steps 7-13 above.
20. If the update does not work, erase the USB stick and repeat the entire process

After the installation is complete, select “restart Station” from the “Setup” menu.

CAUTION: Be sure the memory stick is clear of any software updates for the Station. Some people have accidentally left updates for earlier software versions on the memory stick and it has caused the system to freeze. When this happens you are locked out and cannot call up any menus to correct it. There is a solution if this happens to you. On the German web site, www. Maerklin.de, in the FAQ link, there are two programs that can be downloaded to the USB stick and inserted to restart the Station.

http://www.maerklin.de/faq/

Marklin Digital > Central Station II > Reparatur der CS 2 bei versehentlichem Downgrade

(German to English translation)

Repair of CS 2 in case of accidental downgrade

# 218

I made an inadvertent downgrade of software version 1.1.3 (0) to software version 1.0.5 (3). Now my travels Central Station 60213 is no longer high. How can I fix my CS 2 again?

Procedure for Repair:

1. Preparing a USB stick so that the root of the USB flash drive no files. Subdirectories with some files may exist.
2. The following files to the root of the USB stick to copy: stick.sh and reparatur.sh
3. Central Station 2 with inserted USB stick start
4. Wait until the program starts. This can take up to 5 minutes.
5. In the Setup menu [shutdown]
6. If the shutdown is complete, remove the USB stick.
7. The files reparatur.sh stick.sh and delete on the USB stick
8. Both on the stick and the device is a backup of the previous data of the device

The files are stick.sh and reparatur.sh Beitrsg attached as an appendix.

http://www.maerklin.de/faq/download.php?Number=218

Mark Schurr

Print: Print Post notes (ZIP, 0 kb, 1239 downloads)

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 20 February 2013 01:52:48(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: charles Sharpe Go to Quoted Post
I have tried six times to up date my CS2 by the USB way

Charles, what version was your CS2 at when you were trying to perform a USB update? AFAIK the USB updates files on the Marklin website are still at v2.0.1, so if your CS2 was already at that version, it would never update.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 20 February 2013 01:56:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rcb2nwa Go to Quoted Post
BigGrin Marvelous. I'm new to the Marklin Digital world, and just spent a week trying to get my new 60215 to update from ver 2.0.1. These notes were perfect. One addition, in my case the "Automatic" function to establish the "IP" address did not work. I switched to manual, typed in my information and.... magic, my CS2 ran through all the necessary updates. Very simple. Thank you. Now if Marklin would just post this oh so easy proceedure to it's manual.

The 'Automatic' function assumes that you have a DHCP server (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) on your network. If you don't, 'Automatic' will never work, so you have to manually enter the entries (what we call setting a static address). Normally a DHCP server would be set up on your ADSL or Cable modem.
Offline Bryan  
#12 Posted : 20 February 2013 04:50:15(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi Maxi

I wonder if you could elaborate on connecting the CS2 60214 to a Mac computer for an internet update. Do I use a USB 'crossover' cable or do I use a Marklin 60123 network cable to connect to a Mac. Also do I have to turn off the sequirity firwall in the Mac also. I have only updated with a USB stick before and the latest 3.0 Marklin update requires a internet connection.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
Bryan.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 20 February 2013 04:54:02(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bryan Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if you could elaborate on connecting the CS2 60214 to a Mac computer for an internet update.

Huh!!?? Confused Confused Confused Confused

You don't need to connect a CS2 to a Mac or PC to be able to run a CS2 internet update. All the CS2 requires is a direct network connection to the internet as Maxi explains.

Originally Posted by: Maxi Go to Quoted Post
....each CS2 needs to be connected to the internet in order to update the firmware via the internet.
Offline Bryan  
#14 Posted : 20 February 2013 05:17:19(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
Hi David

So does "1. Connect network cable to CS2 first, then power on." mean that I take the lead from from and ADSL modum and plug it into the CS2 60214. From other posts on this site a PC or Mac was mentioned and thus assumed they were involved with the process. I have a new iMac (2012) and assume the same lead from the modum which plugs into the iMac will be able to be plugged into the CS2 instead. I have a good background in IBM mainframes but not much with midrange systems and thus have some sense about computers. I expect some others could be mislead by the statement as well.

Once again thanks for any help.

Bryan.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#15 Posted : 20 February 2013 05:25:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I assume your ADSL modem has a 4 port switch in the back of it. Plug the CS2's network port into one of those switch ports. But, yes you can use the cable that's plugged into the iMac (I'm assuming that's a RJ45 ethernet connection).
Offline Bryan  
#16 Posted : 20 February 2013 05:34:59(UTC)
Bryan

Australia   
The ADSL modem does have these ports from memory, not near it at the moment to check, however the TELSTRA modem is only 2 months old, so should be up to date. Thank you for some very usual information from over there in NZ. Cheers from OZ.