Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 21 October 2010 11:06:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,
My layout is all on one circuit, connected to a Central Station 1 (40212). It has five circuit tracks.
I suppose it is impossible to trace an electrical short except by a series of logical removal of possible causes. Examples are derailed stock, suspect track or wires etc etc.

It happened to me. Where in all that wiring and track and signals, was I supposed to find an out-of-the blue electical short? The layout had been running perfectly for months.

Then I started listening for the sound of the short, a typical micro-second "bzzzz" every time I switched the controller to "On". It seemed to come from a corner of the layout where I had catenary installed. So had a funny feeling that the mast base clips under the C track, if incorrectly positioned, were a likely source of trouble, being made of metal.

UserPostedImage

Sure enough, the tongue of one base was positioned directly under feeder power wires for the track, which are installed every few metres. So I slipped in, and glued, a thin sheet of plastic over the base, and re-installed the track. Operation is back to normal.

UserPostedImage

I hope that story might help others.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2010 11:46:58(UTC)
H0

Hi, Kimball!
kimballthurlow wrote:
Where in all that wiring and track and signals, was I supposed to find an out-of-the blue electical short?

Good detective's work.

If something pulls at the cable, the tongues will bend down and make contact with the metal bar below.

I once had a similar problem where a connection shoe had slipped of the tongue and was causing a shortcut.
It was an accident (I accidentally lifted the track) and I had the buzzing sound right in front of me so I found it in no time.
If this would have happened while the layout was off for a few days, then it would have been much more difficult for me.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2010 12:21:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Kimball,
I have short circuits on a regular basis.
It's either the double switch (k-track), have put the vaccum cleaner over and let carriages go over with a magnet.
I had a freight carriage, I filled with brake drum filings and over a period of time and going around the layout it slowly emptied itself of its cargo.
I have a C-track turnout and the connector clips have gone to connect it to the other track.
At least I'm aware of it so I can check it every time there is a short.
I had an electric loco and the pantograph haven't been properly isolated from the frame, bit of a mystery.

Otherwise everything is running alright. touch wood

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline dntower85  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2010 16:31:30(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
"Then I started listening for the sound of the short, a typical micro-second "bzzzz" "

What makes that sound, I haven't been able to figure out what causes that, is it something to do with the digital signal setting up vibrations in the metal parts?
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline kariosls37  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2010 00:38:24(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Nice fault finding Kimball,
I have pulled apart my track many times in the hunt for shorts. The usual culprits are faulty M track turnout.

Right now I have a really strange fault somewhere: when I turn on the power, for a few seconds there is a loud buzzing noise, like a solenoid. I suspect it is related to the time delay between the "auxilary" transformers and the track power on the MS1

I'm also curious as to what causes the ticking noise caused by a short. It's really helpful in finding it though.