Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GSRR  
#1 Posted : 05 October 2010 17:40:59(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
I am interested in using the CS2 both as a standalone unit and with PC control software. Some of the reading I have done points to two possible items of interest.

1. Unlike the ECoS and CS1, the CS2 will not/cannot sync it's database with PC software?

2. The feedback on the CS2 is slow or poor due to it's feedback polling?

3. What if any role does the GFP Track Format Processor play in Q.1 and Q.2?

Would appreciate if anyone could shed some light on this, and if there is a possible fix in the works?

(I am aware of the LDT HSI-88 serial/USB)

r/Thomas

edit: To add some clarity to my questions. I have searched the internet using English terms, which has brought minimal result. As I am not conversant in either German or Dutch I cannot avail myself of the other language forums or searches.

Edited by user 06 October 2010 07:07:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline Fredrik  
#2 Posted : 05 October 2010 19:54:26(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi there BigGrin

1 - WRONG! It is possible...!

2 - True.

3 - It produces the digital signal on the track(s).

There is also (in addition to the HSI-88) a similar CAN-module "PC-Snitt" (using the CAN-bus instead) on which, unlike the S88-bus, the modules must not be inserted in a serial row. And it can contain up to 99 detector modules (TrackReporters each with 16 inputs). This "PC-Snitt"-interface has a USB-connection for the computer.

The TrackReporters can also be inserted directly in the CAN-bus of the CS2 - and they will automatically send any state-changes over the CAN-bus which (in contradiction to the S88-bus) is automatically sent to a connected computer (works on 1.3.0(1)), where it can be proccessed if the software has it implemented. It does work, but not recommended from the manufacturer, and if used: OPTO-insulation of the inputs must be used!!!
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline dntower85  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2010 23:57:18(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
2. The feedback on the CS2 is slow or poor due to it's feedback polling?

2 - True.

2A feedback on the CS2 - How does it compare to the 6021 with the 6051 interface... Faster or Slower?
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Fredrik  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2010 00:20:09(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
I haven't done any actual timing but:

In both cases (6051 interface and 60213/4) one (the computer) has to ask for the information. This is what I consider "slow" - "fast" would be the central to send the data automatically (and preferrably only new/changed data like CS1/ECoS).

But physically I would expect the 60213/4 (ethernet-) connection to be faster than the 2400 bps connection of the 6051 interface. But I do not know.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
Offline GSRR  
#5 Posted : 06 October 2010 07:16:08(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Fredrik wrote:
Hi there BigGrin

1 - WRONG! It is possible...!

2 - True.

3 - It produces the digital signal on the track(s).

There is also (in addition to the HSI-88) a similar CAN-module "PC-Snitt" (using the CAN-bus instead) on which, unlike the S88-bus, the modules must not be inserted in a serial row. And it can contain up to 99 detector modules (TrackReporters each with 16 inputs). This "PC-Snitt"-interface has a USB-connection for the computer.

The TrackReporters can also be inserted directly in the CAN-bus of the CS2 - and they will automatically send any state-changes over the CAN-bus which (in contradiction to the S88-bus) is automatically sent to a connected computer (works on 1.3.0(1)), where it can be proccessed if the software has it implemented. It does work, but not recommended from the manufacturer, and if used: OPTO-insulation of the inputs must be used!!!

Fredrik,

Q.1 Could you please provide a specific example of PC software that will sync the database with the CS2. Brand name?

Q.2 I am aware of the workaround for the slow feedback polling using an interface or Schnittstelle. What I am looking for is the specific reason for this slow polling. Is it the CAN-bus, the CS2 software, etc? And is there any intent to "fix" this?

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline GSRR  
#6 Posted : 06 October 2010 07:25:03(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Just by reading the description posted by Steamer01 / Riekus in the Digital » CS2 60214 Known issues thread post #26 and #36 it seems to me that this is a feedback polling issue perhaps, or not?

r/Thomas

Offline Fredrik  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2010 11:25:45(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi again,

Q1: My software CAMR (previously RailNet) does this (see link in signature). It can import both engine- and accessory-data from the CS2. Due to an upcoming relocation it is currently not available for download for the public (as I right now am unable to work on it as my layout has been "dismantled" and will be rebuilt - there will be a story about this on my web-site when started...). CAMR is written for CS2, with adaptions for other systems... BigGrin

Q2: It is the CS2 software that do not pushhe feedback information autmatically to the computer. ThumbDown It has nothing to do with the CAN-bus.
Fredrik.
Offline GSRR  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2010 16:20:03(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Fredrik wrote:
Hi again,

Q1: My software CAMR (previously RailNet) does this (see link in signature). It can import both engine- and accessory-data from the CS2. Due to an upcoming relocation it is currently not available for download for the public (as I right now am unable to work on it as my layout has been "dismantled" and will be rebuilt - there will be a story about this on my web-site when started...). CAMR is written for CS2, with adaptions for other systems... BigGrin

Q2: It is the CS2 software that do not pushhe feedback information autmatically to the computer. ThumbDown It has nothing to do with the CAN-bus.

Fredrik,

Thanks for the info.

Q.1 To sync with the CS2 database for the Loks and accessories does CAMR go through the Ethernet connection, or do you have to make a USB backup from the CS2 and then import to the PC?

Q.2 So the slowness of S88 feedback is due to the current state of the CS2 software protocol which does not yet support an event driven system regarding the S88 feedback or track occupancy?

Is there any indication on the forums that Marklin recognizes this and a fix is coming?

r/Thomas

Offline Fredrik  
#9 Posted : 06 October 2010 22:05:22(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi,

Q1: It uses the Ethernet connection.

Q2: Yes!

If Märklin will release a event-driven version I don't know - but I hope they will.
Fredrik.
Offline fvri  
#10 Posted : 07 October 2010 17:12:43(UTC)
fvri

Indeed remarkable anno 2010 M is still using a polling instead of an event driving model for track occupancy. Luckily I bought an ECOS 1. If that one breaks down I can rely on my M6021/6051 robust duo :).

Frank
Offline GSRR  
#11 Posted : 07 October 2010 17:17:48(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
Fredrik wrote:
Hi,

Q1: It uses the Ethernet connection.

Q2: Yes!

If Märklin will release a event-driven version I don't know - but I hope they will.

Thanks Fredrik.

r/Thomas

Offline GSRR  
#12 Posted : 07 October 2010 17:19:41(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
fvri wrote:
Indeed remarkable anno 2010 M is still using a polling instead of an event driving model for track occupancy. Luckily I bought an ECOS 1. If that one breaks down I can rely on my M6021/6051 robust duo :).

Frank

Hello Frank.

Can you give some background about the difference between "event driven" and "polling"?

r/Thomas

Offline fvri  
#13 Posted : 07 October 2010 18:05:44(UTC)
fvri

Hi Thomas,

By polling is meant: the system needs to readout frequently the state of the S88. With an event driven system each time a state changes in the S88 an event is published by the control system(CS1 or ECoS1/2).
A big disadvantage of polling is that states can be missed, thus if the time for polling is bigger than the time between 2 states have changed you will miss one. When occupancy detection is based on contact rails this is usually not a problem. Thus for a control software progam it is more reliable to have an event driven system, every state change can be trapped with ease.
I hope this make it more clear to you.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline GSRR  
#14 Posted : 07 October 2010 18:23:53(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
fvri wrote:
Hi Thomas,

By polling is meant: the system needs to readout frequently the state of the S88. With an event driven system each time a state changes in the S88 an event is published by the control system(CS1 or ECoS1/2).
A big disadvantage of polling is that states can be missed, thus if the time for polling is bigger than the time between 2 states have changed you will miss one. When occupancy detection is based on contact rails this is usually not a problem. Thus for a control software progam it is more reliable to have an event driven system, every state change can be trapped with ease.
I hope this make it more clear to you.

Best regards,
Frank

So with an event driven system a change in the s88 "an event is published by the CS1 or ECoS"

Would this be correct? With an event driven system the s88 sends the feedback to the CS1 without being interrogated or polled, with a polling system the trigger can only be recognized and acted upon with the next interrogation or polling cycle from the CS2?

r/Thomas

Offline Fredrik  
#15 Posted : 07 October 2010 18:34:04(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
No - not quite!

With the event-driven system of CS1/ECoS the CS1/ECoS sends the feedback to the computer once a change is detected. The CS1/ECoS "constantly" polls the S88-bus (no idea at what "rate").

This is why I myself use the CAN-system (with it's own interface) - it is truly event-driven: Once the decoder (TrackReporter) detects a change on one of its inputs - the data is immidiately sent on the CAN-bus. Intercepted by the interface it's is directly sent to a connected computer! Much better!!! BigGrin

Added: The S88 never sends anything - it can only be polled!
Fredrik.
Offline dntower85  
#16 Posted : 07 October 2010 19:13:21(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Fredrik wrote:
No - not quite!

Added: The S88 never sends anything - it can only be polled!

So even the Ecos and CS1 are polling the s88? and they are just sending the event as soon as they see a change occurring. This would be ok if the system is polling the s88's so fast that it doesn't miss anything and if the s88 is on a separate buss and it can continually poll so it doesn't poll then send commands before it polls again.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline Fredrik  
#17 Posted : 07 October 2010 19:16:30(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Correct! ThumpUp

That is exactly how it works. Cool
Fredrik.
Offline fvri  
#18 Posted : 07 October 2010 19:22:39(UTC)
fvri

Frederik, indeed you are correct, but I didn't stated that the S88 has intelligence to implement an event driven system it is located in the controller(CS1,....).

Frank
Offline Fredrik  
#19 Posted : 07 October 2010 20:25:02(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi Frank,

I know you know hos it works! BigGrin

My reply was not written as a response to yours - only as a reply to the posting above it.
Fredrik.
Offline fvri  
#20 Posted : 07 October 2010 23:21:13(UTC)
fvri

Hi Fredrik,

No hard feelings :).
Sorry I'm always writing your name wrong, probably because in Belgium it is usally written like this : Frederik.

Best regards,
Frank
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 08 October 2010 02:48:45(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
GSRR wrote:
1. Unlike the ECoS and CS1, the CS2 will not/cannot sync it's database with PC software?

Thomas, the CS2 can read the loco and solenoid databases on a CS1, so I should imagine it can synch with PC based software.
Offline GSRR  
#22 Posted : 11 October 2010 19:30:44(UTC)
GSRR

United States   
fvri wrote:
Frederik, indeed you are correct, but I didn't stated that the S88 has intelligence to implement an event driven system it is located in the controller(CS1,....).

Frank

Frank and Fredrik,

I understand the function of the s88, I got turned around a bit. Thank you both for providing some input to my questions.

r/Thomas

http://users.telenet.be/loccommander/

http://www.camr.se/

Offline Danlake  
#23 Posted : 18 September 2012 08:25:55(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
Fredrik wrote:
Hi again,

Thanks for the info.

Q.1 To sync with the CS2 database for the Loks and accessories does CAMR go through the Ethernet connection, or do you have to make a USB backup from the CS2 and then import to the PC?

Q.2 So the slowness of S88 feedback is due to the current state of the CS2 software protocol which does not yet support an event driven system regarding the S88 feedback or track occupancy?

Is there any indication on the forums that Marklin recognizes this and a fix is coming?

r/Thomas

Has the issue in Q2 above been solved by Marklin in software upgrades or is it still using a polling response rather than event driven for the S88 modules?

Reason I ask is if I should use the LDT-HI-USB option rather than using the CS2 to report state to my PC controlled layout? I will only have about 5 S88 modules mainly hooked up to contact tracks.

Thanks in advance!

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Fredrik  
#24 Posted : 18 September 2012 17:44:18(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: GSRR Go to Quoted Post
Fredrik wrote:
Hi again,

Thanks for the info.

r/Thomas

Has the issue in Q2 above been solved by Marklin in software upgrades or is it still using a polling response rather than event driven for the S88 modules?

Reason I ask is if I should use the LDT-HI-USB option rather than using the CS2 to report state to my PC controlled layout? I will only have about 5 S88 modules mainly hooked up to contact tracks.

Thanks in advance!

Brgds - Lasse

Yes - the CS2 is now automatically sending out changes to listening devices on the ethernet-connection. Although still internally polling the S88-bus. However the software must no more ask for changes.
Fredrik.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Fredrik
Offline betania  
#25 Posted : 16 April 2013 21:00:26(UTC)
betania

Hello!

It seems that Märklin vers. 3.0.1 (1) works with S88 and Train Controller vers. 8.0 B1

KOS
Central Station 60214, 60215, Booster 60174, TrainController 8.0 Guld, m / rail slightly off c-rails, Marklin from the 50's and 60's. Tried to create Marklin-story combined with Swedish locomotives and wagons from 1900 to the present.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by betania