Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rschaffr  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2004 06:29:51(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I recently acquired an old V200 #3021 in the red and gray box. I have been cleaning it and noticed that the tires appear to be metal, apparently brass. They sit on the drive wheels where the rubber tires would go, and can be rotated around the wheels so that I know they are loose and not part of the wheel itself. Can these be removed to mount rubber tires? And if so, how?
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline vinder  
#2 Posted : 14 September 2004 07:11:49(UTC)
vinder

The 3021 you found is probably the first version(1957). The copper wear surface preceded the rubber tires. Removing these tires is probably not a good idea as you will probably damage the wheel and besides these wheels are not made for rubber tires. Either bond them back to the wheel with the slightest bit of epoxy or replace the wheel set with a later set of wheels that have the groove for the rubber tire. By the way this loco has some collector value with box approx $250.
Regards
Al
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 14 September 2004 07:29:15(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi Ron, i had a similar problem with an old BR 01 that was given to me by a friend, i carefully removed the metal "tires" (can be done with no damage to the wheel) i put rubber tires in place, till today no problem at all.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline john black  
#4 Posted : 14 September 2004 11:58:10(UTC)
john black

United States   
Ron, very nice old loco Smile - so our collection becomes bigger and bigger ... [:p]. BTW, would you mind to tell us how much you paid for it ? (just for memory, but I guess you've made a good deal)

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 14 September 2004 16:13:07(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
John, I got it on eBay for 75 CDN, about 60 USD. Plus shipping, of course. With the shipping it came to about 75 USD. I have it all cleaned up and planned to convert it to digital, but I am reconsidering and may just leave it original and put it on the shelf. I have another V200 that is not in as good shape and is a newer version with the single bulb and light body on each end rather than the two bulbs on each end like this old beauty. I think I got a great deal on it. I have seen similar ones at swap meets in much worse condition go for about 150 USD.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline john black  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2004 16:42:12(UTC)
john black

United States   
Ron, that was a bargain biggrin! Just an idea but perhaps you'll like it: Well, because I love it so much to DRIVE my old analog beauties (that unmistakeable mechanical sound of loco & track, the sparks and that very special smell !!!) I've built an analog section on my layout just for that purpose [:p][:p][:p]

Best Regards
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2004 16:56:45(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
John: Not a bad idea. In my next expansion section, I could build a simple loop separate from my digital layout going in and out of the mountain and put the V200 with some cars on it. I'll have to consider this.
-Ron
Offline john black  
#8 Posted : 14 September 2004 19:27:11(UTC)
john black

United States   
A mountain track - what a nice idea of yours, both worlds of marklin are simply wonderful [:p]
Really like modern digital locos, but reviving a good old piece of analog iron like you did with your beautyful V200 is great, too [:p] (she was my dream when a boy - 40 years back)

John

Offline rschaffr  
#9 Posted : 16 September 2004 17:51:36(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I put the V200 back together in it's original configuration (without the dirt, excess oil, etc) and packed it away (in it's original box) Smile When I get an analog loop installed on my layout, I'll put it in service. I ran it on my workbench test track (short straight section on the back of the workbench). Runs great!
-Ron
Offline john black  
#10 Posted : 16 September 2004 21:57:02(UTC)
john black

United States   
Ron: Congratulations - great work [:p] !!!

John