Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gachar001  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2010 18:13:39(UTC)
gachar001

India   
I just received my M* 26562 Dutch museum train from Lokshop a couple of days ago. This is the first time I bought from them. My buying experience was really good with timely status updates, excellent packaging and fast shipping. Their website needs a lot of work though.

I wanted a tank loco with full sound and this one fit the bill. The Loco is very nicely detailed, metal body, runs well and sounds very good. It is a strong puller for such a tiny loco. The sound also is a refreshing change from the BR01s, BR50s etc. that all sound the same.

The issue I have is getting the smoke generator installed. There is an ongoing thread that advises having a dealer install the smoke generator but unfortunately I don't have anyone close to me.

This smoke generator (72270) needs to be installed from the underside. Opening the loco was a royal pain and I ended doing some minor damage. The instructions tell us to remove the 4 hand rails before unscrewing the body. To do this, the top of the hand rail needs to be unclipped from a small stud, then another stud in the center that the handrail is attached to needs to be pulled off from the body. The bottom of the hand rail pokes into holes on the top step of the ladder (which is part of the base of the loco, not the body) When I tried to pull out the center stud from the body by using a tiny screw driver, the hand rail broke off from the stud. I need to figure out how to fix this. So I abandoned the idea of removing the other 3 hand rails and opened the loco (I found that you can do this except that you need to be very carefule while installing the body back and ensure that the bottom of the hand rails go into the aforementioned holes on the top step. This is tricky but can be done. Beats breaking off the hand rails though).
Ok, so I jumped through these hoops plugged the smoke generator from the bottom, made sure that the smoke generator contact is pointing in the right direction and carefully replaced the body. The smoke generator did not work. I repeated this whole procedure, still no luck. I need to mention that the smoke generator top is not in flush with the top of the chimney. I was not able to push the smoke generator all the way. Not sure if this is the issue.
Any help is appreciated.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline DamonKelly  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2010 12:55:10(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
Gautham, I had a vaguely similar problem with the smoke unit in the new PRR Mikado.
In my case, I discovered the smoke unit itself was slightly bent. When the upper tube bends, the sides bow out a bit, and the unit does not go all the way into the the smokestack. In this loco, that means I broke the copper tab that connects to the wire in the smoke unit Sad

Check if the smoke unit is bent.
Cheers,
Damon
Offline gachar001  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2010 17:24:50(UTC)
gachar001

India   
DamonKelly wrote:
Gautham, I had a vaguely similar problem with the smoke unit in the new PRR Mikado.
In my case, I discovered the smoke unit itself was slightly bent. When the upper tube bends, the sides bow out a bit, and the unit does not go all the way into the the smokestack. In this loco, that means I broke the copper tab that connects to the wire in the smoke unit Sad

Check if the smoke unit is bent.

Damon,
I tried pushing the smoke unit from the top (up side down of course) and it went in with some slight resistance. I may be able to do it from the bottom if I push hard but there is very little space to work with. Does the top of the smoke unit need to be flush with the top of the chimney?
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Davy  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2010 02:37:30(UTC)
Davy

I have more then 20 steamers with smoke generators.
The smoke genarator 72270 is most the difficult one to install.

If you have trouble with it let a dealer do it.
I have done it so many themes. It is not so difficult any more for me.

I have two br 64 with smoke generator.

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

UserPostedImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

M-track with a CS2.
Offline mvd71  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2010 11:24:22(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Gautham,

The installation is the easy part. I am currently having the same problem with my BR64.
I have tested the smoke unit separately and it works fine. But when installed it doesn't work.

I'm about to try another smoke unit, and I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers....

Mike.
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2010 12:11:07(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Gautham,

It appears to be an earthing issue between the body of the loco and the chassis.

I'll let you know when I find the fix.

Cheers....

Mike.