Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 15 September 2010 05:41:21(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Today, I was preparing to take some photos of my new LS Models SBB UIC Coaches. I am running a little behind schedule and have had to postpone the photo shoot for a day or two. I will provide some photos of the new models as well as shots of them to compare them to the Bachmann-Liliput and original Liliput models.

I did notice that the www.lsmodels.com website has been updated to include some photos of the final prototype of the announced DB Bpmz29X models. So far, the photos only appear when you click on the Dutch flag (on the right). The French section of the site will likely be updated in the next few hours as well.

Pictured are the original Bpmz291 and the version with the Kinderland play area. The model looks nicely detailed, as is standard with all current LS Models products. The photos clearly show that the model is wired for DC lighting, with contacts mounted on each bogie. I have not found any information stating that the LSM coach will come with built-in lighting, but Roco did release a series of coaches with digital lighting last year, so anything is possible.

ACME is also releasing models of this coach. It will be interesting to see what the differences will be between the two models made by partner companies and which one will be preferred by customers.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Loadmaster  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2010 07:00:39(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
Mike,

Thanks for providing the link to LS Models. I am not familiar with that brand. Are their cars offered in both AC & DC or do you just change the wheels? How are they priced as compaired to Marklin and HAG? I also have never heard of ACME/

Thanks,

Robert
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2010 20:37:27(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Robert/All:

LS Models is a company based in Belgium/France that offers products in exact 1/87. Their product is manufactured in China and now ranks among the top HO models in terms of detail. ACME is an Italian company which works with LS Models and the same Chinese manufacturers, offering models of Italian and other countries. In terms of prices, both are comparable to Roco and most brands of European MRR. The difference is in terms of details and appearance. Their most recent productions (since 2004) have been higher quality than the Roco Exclusiv series and approach the level of the classic ADE models.

The websites are www.lsmodels.com and www.acmetreni.it
You can also check out the manufacturer at www.moderngala.com

Both LS Models and ACME were previously part of a cooperative venture with German company Heris and Swiss RailTop www.railtop.ch. They went their own ways between 2003 and 2005. Modern Gala is known for having produced models for Sachsenmodelle/Tillig and other brands in addition to the Heris/LSM/RT/ACME models.

There were some issues with earlier productions, but as I stated, today's models are as good as it gets in terms of fit and finish, detailing and accuracy to prototype. If you can run exact 1/87 on your layout (I recommend minimum R3 although the coaches probably can run R2 if there is clearance on the sides), then these coaches are worth considering.

Among the trains I have from these manufacturers are:

EN "Luna" Zuerich-Simplon-Rome (ACME) - SBB and FS sleepers and couchette coaches (2004-2009)
CNL Zuerich-Dresden (LSM) - The world known City Night Line Hotel Train
DB Nachtzug (LSM/Sachsenmodelle) - A Classic German Nighttrain (around 2002)
Cisalpino EC "Canaletto" Zuerich - Gotthard - Venice (ACME) - FS Coaches in the Cisalpino Livery (2002-2009)
EC Transalpin Basel-Vienna (RT/Roco*) - OBB EC and SBB* IC/EC Coaches complete this classic consist (2000-2009) (Roco also makes OBB EC coaches that can be used in this consist for 1998-2004)
Milano-Zuerich-Stuttgart D Zug - (LSM/ACME) - Mixed train of SBB, DB and FS UIC-X coaches from the 1980s.

These coaches can be operated on AC (K and C Track) with their DC wheelsets. If using on M Track or if you intend to install lighting or have sensors that require noninsulated axles, converting the wheelsets to AC is recommended.

I am looking forward to announced models of the TEE Gottardo and the DB BR 403 "Donald Duck" trainsets from LS Models. Most Loks and trainsets from LSM are announced for either AC or DC. ACME lists only international models in AC or DC. Italian models are given only in DC, as AC seems to be not a major player in Italy. Last reports mentioned that ACME may make more FS models for 3 rail AC as well.

In the USA, these products are available at Eurolokshop (TEE USA) and a few other dealers. In Europe, they can be ordered from Schweickhardt, Huenerbein (Huenerbein321 on eBay) and other dealers.

One note: ACME and LSM list many models in their annual catalog. Production is then determined by demand and by priority. As a result, I have been waiting to complete my CNL train but other models have taken precedence over the coaches that remain to be manufactured. I am patiently waiting and enjoying the new models of other trains that have come out in the interim. I have completed the other trains and am waiting for the balance of the SBB coaches to round out my collection.

Regards

Mike C
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2010 10:57:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Mike,
Thanks for this report.
One thing I like about Roco carriages, some of them have a metal insert for their axles and you don't need an extra contact strip to be able to source your ground connection.

The details on the LSM, as you said are quite exquisite.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2010 05:41:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I thought that I would give a little background about the SBB UIC Coaches as modelled by Liliput, Jouef and now LS Models.
The first coach introduced was the Bcm with 12 compartments (11 + Service Compartment) in 1964. The identical Bm with 12 seating compartments followed in 1966. The Am 1st class coach in 1969, followed by the Bcm with 11 compartments (10 + Service) in 1970, the ABm combined coach (10 compartments 4A+6B) in 1971 and the final series of Bm (11 compartments) in 1972. A matching baggage coach followed in the late 1970s. The 9 matching Restaurant coaches were built in Donauwoerth Germany starting in 1967. The original coaches were similar in layout to the DB UIC-X coaches and thus were considered UIC-X by the UIC.
Of specific interest to all modellers, the interior layout of the Bm (1972) coaches with 11 compartments had become the new UIC standard by the late 1970s and almost all subsequent 2nd class compartment coaches throughout Europe, including the Eurofima and various EC configurations of the DB, OBB, SNCF, SNCB, FS, etc have been according to this design, which is known as UIC Z.
Since the 1970s, these coaches have received various liveries. In the late 1970s, the Bm (1972) coaches were repainted in the C1 orange (Eurofima) livery as the SBB had no 2nd class coaches to go with the newly delivered Am (A9 VSE). A number of WRm were also repainted in the orange livery. The orange livery had the new SBB logo <+> and SBB CFF FFS marked on the coach side below the white stripe. Those coaches were later modified into open seating (Bpm) coaches and reclassified for domestic use only, receiving a new livery similar to that of the EWIV Intercity coaches.
Some of the original Bm (1964) were converted into Bpm "Sleeperette" for night train use. A few were later reclassified as Apm (1st class) and used as seating coaches in International night train. The Bcm were painted blue to match the Bcm (Eurofima) and the TEN (Trans Euro Nacht) livery, also with the <+> and SBB CFF FFS. Later some were repainted in blue with a simple white stripe and the current <+> SBB CFF FFS logo, while some of the Bcm were finally repainted in the SBB's new night train colours. Most of the remaining green coaches had the original SBB+CFF/SBB+ FFS markings replaced by the current <+> SBB CFF FFS logo.
The coaches are mostly retired today. Only the Bpm in the EWIV colours can still be seen on a daily basis. Some of the Bcm have been sold or leased to private operators (EETC). A few green coaches remain in the hands of private operators, including Rail In, Verein Bm 22-70 and so on. A few of the Bpm have also been leased to the OBB (shuttle between Buchs and Feldkirch) and to FNM (commuter trains between Como and Milano).
These coaches could be seen all over Europe, as their travels took them as far north as Copenhagen, as far south as Port Bou (Spain), as far west as Amsterdam and as far east as Yugoslavia and Hungary.
The coaches were featured in the film "Cassandra's Crossing" and in many other films and TV movies. Anybody wishing to recreate the final scene of the movie should use the older Liliput or Jouef coaches because the new LSM ones are too nice to destroy. I have to give credit to the Liliput Bcm as this was the first 1/87 (Exact scale) model that I had in my collection.

I hope that this information is of interest to you and that you will check out these wonderful models at your nearest dealer of LSM items, as well as the their selection of DB coaches.

Here are some photos of the prototype coaches. Photos of the models can be found on the lsmodels.com website (scan down) or go to roundhouse.ch or eyro.ch (for example)
Am: http://www.railfaneurope...FS/car/RIC/Am51/pix.html
Bm: http://www.railfaneurope...FS/car/RIC/Bm51/pix.html
ABm: http://www.railfaneurope...S/car/RIC/ABm51/pix.html
Bpm (ex Bm): http://www.railfaneurope...S/car/RIC/Bpm51/pix.html
Apm: (ex Bpm Sleeperette ex Bm): http://www.railfaneurope...S/car/night/Apm/pix.html
Bcm: http://www.railfaneurope...S/car/night/Bcm/pix.html
WRm: http://www.railfaneurope...ant/CFF_WR-RIC_Lux_1.jpg
Dms: http://www.railfaneurope...il%2Bbaggage/Dms51_1.jpg

Regards

Mike C
The remaining green coaches
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 05 October 2010 19:58:48(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Today, LS Models posted some new photos on their website. The new items shown include the SBB Bm 6/6 diesel shunter and the RAe TEE Gottardo. There are also photos of the final delivery models of a few variants of the SBB UIC coaches. www.lsmodels.com

Regards

Mike C
Offline kariosls37  
#7 Posted : 06 October 2010 07:24:41(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I've had this site in my favorites for a while now, the models look pretty good.

Hopefully they will produce the era II coal wagons(GTM,GTMK) and baggage coach(stalen D) listed here(scroll down the page a bit) on schedule.
However, I have noticed from other forums that LS Models is notorious for delivering their models a very long time after their scheduled delivery times. But, the models seem to be worth the wait.
I have not seen the models in person, but the revieuws are generally good(for the Dutch rolling stock).
Offline Macfire  
#8 Posted : 07 October 2010 15:04:27(UTC)
Macfire

Cheers for the info Mike
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2010 07:07:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The first models of the LHB (Link Hoffmann Busch)(aka Eurofima Prototype) coaches of the DB have reached store shelves in Europe. There are excellent photos of these models available at reisezugwagen.eu. So far, the models that can be seen include the "Pop" color coaches with colored doors and the versions in the DB blue/beige livery. The models with the two-tone doors should be available soon.

http://www.reisezugwagen.eu/?cat=33

The models can be ordered in the USA from Eurolokshop and Euro Train Hobby. Huenerbein.de has finally updated their site to include a online store. These models can also be ordered via Jocadis (Belgium), Schweickhardt (Germany), Memoba (Austria) and Swiss dealers like Eyro, Roundhouse and others in Europe that carry LSM.

The models are, as usual for LSM, very detailed and prototypically accurate.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 08 November 2010 21:30:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
LS Models have updated their homepage to include new photos of the SBB Bm 6/6 shunter. More info at www.lsmodels.com

Also, a new brochure on the DB Bpmz models is posted on the site.

Regards

Mike C
Offline jeehring  
#11 Posted : 08 November 2010 22:21:05(UTC)
jeehring

kariosls37 wrote:
...(...)...
However, I have noticed from other forums that LS Models is notorious for delivering their models a very long time after their scheduled delivery times. ...(...)....

sometimes several years after their scheduled delivery times !.....sometimes...never ! (2 years after for the last Era 5 french railbus. Some series of SNCF coachs announced 6 years ago are not yet produced...but they are not cancelled nor postponed....)

Some people have pointed that this way of "over-announcing" is a way of preventing other manufacturers/competitors to make the same item....Scared ...
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 08 November 2010 22:46:13(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I agree that some of the announced models have taken a little time to go from planned to produced. It seems that this is partly due to delays in Chinese production, but mainly due to concentrating on the announced models that have the highest public demand. On the upside, this means that models like the Bpmz or T2S become priorities as other manufacturers have announced similar models. It does mean that other models that are less in demand get pushed back in priority. Where it bugs me is that we end up having to wait to complete a series, for example, the CNL coach Sets where a few models (Bpm Sleeperette, dining car, couchette with bike compartment, etc) have been on hold while other non-CNL models have gotten into production.
Some models are made in collaboration with other companies, which adds a further potential of delays to the picture, but as kariosis37 wrote, the end product is usually "worth the wait".

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#13 Posted : 10 November 2010 02:42:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Memoba (Vienna) and other dealers are announcing the arrival in store of the first models of the DB Bpmz: http://www.memoba.at/bilder/ls_ls46247.htm
More photos and details can be found here: http://www.reisezugwagen.eu/?cat=33
and at www.lsmodels.com

These models do not use the same tooling as the ACME model. There are subtle and visible differences between the models. As far as I know, both models are made by Modern Gala in China for the respective manufacturers. This double production, along with competitive announcements of planned T2S sleeping cars suggests that the existing cooperation between these two companies may be not as close in the future.

The LSM models have some improved features vis-a-vis the older Roco models, including the correct reproduction of the body panel between the bogies and the doors. I do not yet have this model or the new model of the same coach type from ACME, but the detailling seems very nice.

I will have to post a head to head comparison of the LS Models and ACME models as soon as I have them in my hands (unless somebody else beats me to the punch).

Regards

Mike C

Edited by user 13 November 2010 02:46:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 13 November 2010 02:51:30(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have updated my post from November 10 to include photo and dealer links regarding the LSM Bpmz291 models. See above (#13) for details

MC
Offline mike c  
#15 Posted : 18 January 2011 06:54:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Latest Update:

I was informed today that the latest delivery of LSM SBB UIC coaches is on it's way. I am looking forward to receiving my Couchette Coach Sets in 1980s "TEN" Blue with <+> (left) and SBB CFF FFS, 1990s Blue with White Stripe and current <+>SBB CFF FFS logo and finally the last livery, the SBB EN livery Blue with Purple Stripes. The 1980s coaches will go well with my Roco 45074 WLAB TEN and FS Couchette coach. The 1990s and EN Couchette coaches will go with my Roco 45073 and 45073.1 to recreate the well known "Freccia del Puglie" nighttrain. See:

The Orange Bm coaches will look very nice with my Roco 44655 Eurofima coaches until the 2011 Roco or 2010 ACME models replace them. These coaches will be also be combined with my Heris Bpm79s and Liliput-Bachmann WRm until those are replaced by the announced LS Models versions. This train will look amazing pulled by one of my green Re 6/6.

I can then officially withdraw my Liliput-Bachmann SBB UIC coaches from service.

Here are the new models that I am referring to:
47218 Set (2) SBB Bcm (Couchette) 1980s "TEN" livery
47220 Set (2) SBB Bm (Compartment) (Eurofima Orange)
47224 Set (2) SBB Bcm (Couchette) 1990s Blue livery
47225 Set (2) SBB Bcm (Couchette) 2000s EN Blue/Purple livery

I am also awaiting the ACME Avmz207. Once I receive that one, I will review it and compare it to the Roco 54236B/44653 (1984) and to the various Bpmz models that go with it.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 18 January 2011 07:36:55(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The LS Models 2011 New Items are starting to appear on the web. First off, more variants of the DB Bpmz family including 1980s IC, 1990s and current IC/EC (Traffic Red/ICE) liveries. A long term announcement of an exact scale ICE 1, which was announced a few years ago by Trix but subsequently cancelled. Hopefully LS Models will produce a model of the international version that comes into Switzerland.
Also announced by LS Models are variants of the Swiss "Mirage" RABDe 12/12 (RABDe 510), the red push-pull train used since the 1970s for commuter service along the shores of the Zuerichsee. The model will be released in original red, modified red and NPZ (blue & white with yellow sliding doors) liveries.
They also announced a model of the new Siemens Vectron locomotive, which may of interest to some.

I don't think that the Mirage will be released this year, but I am looking forward to the release of the 1:87 Gottardo and RBe 4/4 (RBe 540) this year, both of which were announced last year. I am also looking forward to completing my collection of SBB UIC coaches and the coming WRm and Bpm 1979 coaches.

Regards,

Mike C

Edited by user 01 February 2011 09:37:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#17 Posted : 12 February 2011 03:48:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I just received the balance of my ordered LS Models SBB UIC Coaches. This batch includes the Couchette coaches in blue with white stripe and 1980's logo, the more modern version with the new logo and the final livery with the blue and purple stripes. I also received my set of orange second class coaches in the 1980's Eurofima livery. I am looking forward to running these coaches behind my green Re 6/6 with a mix of FS and SBB Eurofima coaches as could be seen daily on the Milano-Zuerich-Stuttgart route in the 1980s.

The couchette coaches look very nice combined with my Roco sleeping cars (45073 (SBB EN) and 45074 (TEN)).

I will try to post some photos this weekend.

Regards,

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 06 April 2011 04:20:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I received reports that the 47219 Set with WRm (restaurant) in red and two Bm coaches and the 47325 Set with WRm (Orange C1) and two Bpm (1979) will be released in the near future.

Photos can be found here:
47219: http://eyro.ch/onlinesho...nfo.php?products_id=1373
47325: http://eyro.ch/onlinesho...nfo.php?products_id=1996

See also:
http://www.lsmodels.com/...ents/News/Bleu%20WRm.jpg

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 06 May 2011 22:06:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
LS Models has posted the estimated release dates for 2011/early 2012. The information can be found on the LS Models website: http://www.lsmodels.com/Pages/General_F/Home_F.htm

Among the interesting items are the SBB WRm in red and orange, the various T2S sleepers, the D347 Cologne-Berlin DB Sets, the SBB Bpm 79 (UIC Z1), The DB ET 403, SBB RAe/RABe and the missing CNL coaches.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Rinus  
#20 Posted : 06 May 2011 22:35:40(UTC)
Rinus

Their T2s looks very impressive, doesn't it? Have you seen the inder carriage? Even the brakes are there!
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 07 May 2011 02:34:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was looking at the photos of the OBB models. I am glad that I did not go for the ACME or Roco models and will probably replace my older Heris models with the new ones from LSM. I am eagerly awaiting the SBB one with the purple stripes and the OBB Upgrade version of the former SBB WLAm.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Rinus  
#22 Posted : 07 May 2011 15:11:42(UTC)
Rinus

Yeah, I see what you mean. Roco is good, Acme better, but these seem to be of a completely new level.

I might buy a ÖBB T2s to supplement my nighttrain. Do you think it goes with Era IV Mu and Typo Z couchettes?

Regard,

Rien
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 07 May 2011 17:34:01(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Rinus:

The White/Blue/Yellow T2S was pretty common in Night Trains in late era IV and early era V. For main part of Era IV, you can use the blue version with the TEN markings or blue version without TEN markings.
The OBB acquired a number of sleepers from other operators since 2000 to replace some older stock and increase the fleet, as the OBB was one of the few national railroads to maintain night train services. This became even more significant when the OBB dropped out of the DACH (D = Germany, A = Austria, CH = Switzerland) project, better known as CityNightLine.

Among the coaches acquired were former T2S WLAm from the SBB and WLAB marklin-users.net from CIWL/NS. The ex-SBB T2S should only be used for Era V/VI consists, depending on the livery/variant.

You may also be interested in the former CNL double deck sleepers (LSM) (Era VI) specially made for Memoba (Vienna) www.memoba.at. The blue (original) liveried (Era V) ones were made by LSM a few years ago.

Regards

Mike C

Offline Rinus  
#24 Posted : 09 May 2011 20:24:38(UTC)
Rinus

Thanks for the memoba tip! I noticed there that LSM has announced the Schlierenwagen in N-scale. Any chance in getting them in HO-scale in the near future, you think? That would be great, since Roco's versions are quite old.

Regarding the T2s. If I do want to add a T2s to my era iV nighttrain it might be better to use a FS one instead? If I understand you correctly the ÖBB only got the T2S later on and so they can only be used in a era V-VI set-up ?

Regards,

Rinus
Offline mike c  
#25 Posted : 10 May 2011 02:48:53(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Rinus,

The T2S has been in service with the OBB for a long time. Around 2003, they acquired several more such coaches from the SBB, where they were no longer required. Those sleepers were operated by the SBB as WLAm (first class only) but have in the years since been converted to WLAB (first and second class) by the OBB. The original OBB sleepers in blue and white, with and without the TEN logos could be found from the 1970s until the 1990s. In the 1990s, they were repainted white/blue with a yellow stripe. Around 2004, these coaches started to be repainted in the "Upgrade" colours of red and gray.

If you want to create a night train on the Brenner route for Era IV, you could use pretty much any TEN or blue/white sleeper from the OBB, DB, FS or any other railroad that could be found on this route. It is possible that sleepers from as far away as Holland (NS) or Denmark (DSB) could be found on this route or the route through Austria to Vienna or other destinations. ACME's Austria-Holland Express is one example of such a train.

For early Era IV, you could also consider CIWL or DSG sleepers, as these would also have been in use in the early 1970s in their original liveries.

If you look at the www.lsmodels.com page with the news, they show a T2S in blue with white stripe and the modern OBB logo. This would be correct for the end of Era IV.

Personally, I am waiting for the ACME/LSM SNCB MU in blue with the red stripe, as those were common on the route through Switzerland in the 1990s.

A nice Night train for Austria would include DB, OBB and FS couchette and sleepers. You could also consider SNCF, DB and OBB for the famous Paris-Vienna link.

Regards

Mike C