Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline 4matic  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2010 20:58:37(UTC)
4matic

Tried my hand at this with whatever was available at hand. From the photos I notice I need to work on removing some of the grey spots on the walls and stairs. I used a fine 320 sand paper to dull off the plastic, then a combination of light (acrylic)fabric paint and coloured chalk. I also feel I may have over done it. Would appreciate any advice on improvements.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Offline sebastian  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2010 21:06:34(UTC)
sebastian

Canada   
OK, this might hurt. It's not bad, but you need to be more subtle. For instance, the stairs have some dark grey spots. They literally look like paint dropped there. Try building the colour from the outside towards inside. Depending on what you're trying to achieve, you might need to start with lighter colours and gradually use darker shades, or vice versa. However, do not rush into it. Use many coats instead of one. Take your time and always check the paint from a couple of meters away after you're done with one coat. Do not finish everything in one session. I know it's hard not to, but you have to force yourself. I hope this helps.
DRG, DB and SBB
Era II, III and IV
Sincerely,
Sebastian
Offline 4matic  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2010 21:23:55(UTC)
4matic

Thanks Sebastian... I really do appreciate the comments. Guess it mus be quite obvious.. tried to finish in one go. Problem was I started the process while the pieces were still on the spruce and was impatient to see the finish product. And you are right about the dark grey spots, actually thats what happened, and I had run out of brown to correct it. In fact the MOI is out marketing and just called her up to get some more brown.
Offline obxbill  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2010 02:02:47(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
I don't think it looks bad at all. In fact, the grey spots on the steps look like wear marks to me. If anything, you should make every step look like that. Old weathered wood often looks grey, especially near the ocean where I live. So for a first time job, I think it's quite alright. Ya might also think about lightly sanding the wood trim on the building to let a bit of that grey show on the woodgrain. If ya don't like it, repaint it. Just my thoughts.

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2010 02:24:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Yes I agree, most wood ages and weathers to a grey colour, which is very very hard to replicate on plastic of any colour. Try a thin wash of matt grey, but very thin, and repeat if necessary afetr drying. Or first try a grey chalk.
Otherwises I like the result you achieved, it is very good.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline 4matic  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2010 14:43:29(UTC)
4matic

Well well thanks Guys. I actually thought when I finished I had over done it. When I look at some of the weathering on magazines stuff some of them looked very very nice and real infact I thought too nice, too perfect.So I was kinda trying to get a more natural weathered look rather than artificial. Lots more experimenting required I guess, but am really cuffed with the positive remarks, thanks again. Will work on it more and post a few pics when finished.
Offline kariosls37  
#7 Posted : 21 July 2010 09:33:46(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
The brick looks really good as is. However the larger stones on the corners, top and bottom of the 1st floor and around the lower windows I would paint a (light?)stone or concrete colour(I'd go for polly scale aged concrete.)

The cimmney area needs to be less black. try to get the same amount of soot on the chimmney as where it meets the roof. while your'e on the roof, paint some induvidual and groups of tiles a slightly lighter or darker colour and apply a "wash" of ultra-thinned black paint on the roof to highlight the recesses. dont get it even. variation in darkness is good

I'm going to go on a tangent and contradict some peopleRollEyes , but my observation is that the wood bits will be treated. most likely with creosote(a coal distillate =>black) which will weather to a brown-black colour over time. I wouldn't put the dabs of grey on the wood, but maybe mix up the brown-black colour by eye and don't mix it completely, so you get subtle variations
I doubt that the stairs would be unpainted wood but who knows. it's your model, sso you decide. If you do decide to go for bare wood, paint it light grey with a bit of brown as I don't think they creosote the small timbers
it might be a good idea to look for real life pictures of what your'e trying to achieve. Tamya weathering powders might be a good investment too
Have fun,
Kariosls
Offline ac jacko  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2010 14:45:21(UTC)
ac jacko

kariosls37 wrote:
The brick looks really good as is. However the larger stones on the corners, top and bottom of the 1st floor and around the lower windows I would paint a (light?)stone or concrete colour(I'd go for polly scale aged concrete.)

The cimmney area needs to be less black. try to get the same amount of soot on the chimmney as where it meets the roof. while your'e on the roof, paint some induvidual and groups of tiles a slightly lighter or darker colour and apply a "wash" of ultra-thinned black paint on the roof to highlight the recesses. dont get it even. variation in darkness is good

I'm going to go on a tangent and contradict some peopleRollEyes , but my observation is that the wood bits will be treated. most likely with creosote(a coal distillate =>black) which will weather to a brown-black colour over time. I wouldn't put the dabs of grey on the wood, but maybe mix up the brown-black colour by eye and don't mix it completely, so you get subtle variations
I doubt that the stairs would be unpainted wood but who knows. it's your model, sso you decide. If you do decide to go for bare wood, paint it light grey with a bit of brown as I don't think they creosote the small timbers
it might be a good idea to look for real life pictures of what your'e trying to achieve. Tamya weathering powders might be a good investment too
Have fun,
Kariosls

Kariosls what about the bragdon weathering or eazi scenic?? good job so far matic ThumpUp
Offline marklinsa  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2010 14:58:42(UTC)
marklinsa

South Africa   
You took the first step (even if it is a bit wobbly) on a journey - go for it, enjoy and hone your skills!

Please go to this website :http://www.railroad-line.com/ it is packed with info and ideas
Herman Steyn
DRG Epoche 2, SBB & Narrow Gauge
www.herman.rula.co.za
http://www.samodelrailway.hot.co.za/