Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2010 05:06:59(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Ok

Tomix and Kato produce some fantastic Japanese EMU's mainly the Yamanote line EMU's

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/menu/tomix_3_2.htm

With Kato,some fantastic Japanese coaches

http://www.katomodels.co...ct/nmi/ho_oha35kei.shtml

Could the models mentioned above run on Marklin Tracks?
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2010 05:20:23(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
AFAIR Tomix makes no models for 3 Rail AC. Kato may produce a few European models that are available for either 2 Rail DC or 3 Rail AC, but I don't recall ever seeing any AC models of non-European material.
Most contemporary DC models can be relatively easily converted to operation using 3 Rail Digital AC, providing that there is adequate space to install the necessary middle rail slider and ESU type decoder.
In some cases, modellers have been known to install the slider on a trailing coach or car and connect it to the locomotive by cable or current conducting coupler.
DC models have isolated wheels or axles. The wheels also have a slightly larger spacing than that used by Maerklin. Modern locomotives do not have to have the wheelsets changed to operate on K and C Track. Classic M Track may be more problematic.
Reversing one of the axles so that current is collected from both rails or merging the two wheel contacts to form a common ground may improve operation on converted loks.
Some of the members may have experience with such conversions. My experience was limited to completing the conversion of a DC Hag Lok for AC operation, which was easy due to the fact that Hag makes parts for both DC and AC versions.

Regards,

Mike C